-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
RANT HERE thread
Started by flyhi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So we had aloe in our front yard growing up, we'd use it frequently for burns. It is ok, better than nothing but then we found dermoplast spray...yup best **** around for a sun burn.
I had a c section but apparently dermoplast is like gold for the lady bits after a tough delivery...
I’m super pale and wear tons of sunscreen. Too many years as a younger person trying to get tan to fit the standards and suffering from awful sunburn as a result. Done with that sht now and I am That Person in the summer reminding everyone hourly to reapply!
I think aloe is nice but leaves a bit of a residue.They're pretty low maintenance as plants and cheaper that way. Plus it's cool to break off a leaf and instant gel.![]()
The gel isn't the most pleasant tasting thing in the world though. When I was a kid I used to suck my thumb. To break me out of the habit. My parents would take the aloe that grew in our yard and put it on my finger. This was a common practice where I'm from. It sucked. Pun intended.So we had aloe in our front yard growing up, we'd use it frequently for burns. It is ok, better than nothing but then we found dermoplast spray...yup best **** around for a sun burn.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an aloe spray that I really like that lasts foreverThey're pretty low maintenance as plants and cheaper that way. Plus it's cool to break off a leaf and instant gel.![]()
I literally wear sunscreen every single day and am definitely That Person. But hey, I hardly ever get sunburns anymore and my skin will probably still look okay in forty yearsI had a c section but apparently dermoplast is like gold for the lady bits after a tough delivery...
I’m super pale and wear tons of sunscreen. Too many years as a younger person trying to get tan to fit the standards and suffering from awful sunburn as a result. Done with that sht now and I am That Person in the summer reminding everyone hourly to reapply!I think aloe is nice but leaves a bit of a residue.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I found some neat gel stuff that had lidocaine in it near the aloe gel in an airport in Belize . Pretty soothing.
Was it blue? It’s basically just aloe gel with lidocaine and menthol. It’s my preferred sunburn relief.I found some neat gel stuff that had lidocaine in it near the aloe gel in an airport in Belize . Pretty soothing.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I think so? Idk it was like 5 months ago and I haven't needed it since then haha but that sounds rightWas it blue? It’s basically just aloe gel with lidocaine and menthol. It’s my preferred sunburn relief.
Thank you, girl who glows in the dark. I value your opinion and looked into dermoplast.It is ok, better than nothing but then we found dermoplast spray...yup best **** around for a sun burn.
I am also That Person. Between that and 1/4 Oriental blood, I was last ID'd at 40.I literally wear sunscreen every single day and am definitely That Person. But hey, I hardly ever get sunburns anymore and my skin will probably still look okay in forty years
Because of the extent of the head injury in the fall, I have strict orders to never touch large animals again after 4th year. I have permanent damage and can't take another knock. I stopped in on my way back down for school in the morning, to say goodbye. She leaves in the morning. I've owned her since she was a week old and will never get to ride her. My heart is shattered!
Well, for the second time this semester, a professor just didn't show up to class. No announcement or anything.
I never thought I'd say this, but could course evals get here quicker? I have a lot of complaints about my professors this semester.
I never thought I'd say this, but could course evals get here quicker? I have a lot of complaints about my professors this semester.
R
RTC19
I once had a professor whose Saturday class went from 9 am - 12 noon. She arrived at a highly variable time between 9:20 and 10 am. She was draconian about her lateness policy with students. Her written policy was that you would be refused entry if you got caught showing up after 9 am. Attendance was a huge proportion of our grades. You couldn't risk that she would actually show up at 9 am one day. So, we all had to show up at 9 and wait outside the classroom for 30-40 minutes for her to get there and unlock the room and start class.
Last edited by a moderator:
I have the weirdest clients, and I feel like the weirdest of the weird are all coming to see me this week. My shoulders are getting sore from shrugging it all off.
B L A M E M E R C U R YI have the weirdest clients, and I feel like the weirdest of the weird are all coming to see me this week. My shoulders are getting sore from shrugging it all off.
Is Mercury in Retrograde?:
NO. Something else must be bumming you out ... Mercury turns retrograde on Wednesday, August 23, 2023 Learn More About Mercury Turning Retrograde Psst .. for you grammar nerds IsMercuryRetrograde.com works too :) Looking for an email alert? Check out MercAlert.com! Contact Me Photo: NASA...
ismercuryretrograde.com
This is great news because I'm working this Saturday.B L A M E M E R C U R Y
![]()
Is Mercury in Retrograde?:
NO. Something else must be bumming you out ... Mercury turns retrograde on Wednesday, August 23, 2023 Learn More About Mercury Turning Retrograde Psst .. for you grammar nerds IsMercuryRetrograde.com works too :) Looking for an email alert? Check out MercAlert.com! Contact Me Photo: NASA...ismercuryretrograde.com

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the weirdest clients, and I feel like the weirdest of the weird are all coming to see me this week. My shoulders are getting sore from shrugging it all off.
B L A M E M E R C U R Y
![]()
Is Mercury in Retrograde?:
NO. Something else must be bumming you out ... Mercury turns retrograde on Wednesday, August 23, 2023 Learn More About Mercury Turning Retrograde Psst .. for you grammar nerds IsMercuryRetrograde.com works too :) Looking for an email alert? Check out MercAlert.com! Contact Me Photo: NASA...ismercuryretrograde.com
March 9th is gonna be terrible tho. Mercury is still retrograde until almost 9 pm AND THERE IS A FULL MOON.
So I looked it up, and the full moon on March 9th is called the "Worm Moon". I know what's coming!!!March 9th is gonna be terrible tho. Mercury is still retrograde until almost 9 pm AND THERE IS A FULL MOON.
AND it's the day after we spring forward, so everyone will be tired and grumpy.March 9th is gonna be terrible tho. Mercury is still retrograde until almost 9 pm AND THERE IS A FULL MOON.
AND it's the day after we spring forward, so everyone will be tired and grumpy.![]()
Can we all agree on everyone just staying home that day?
Not really sure if this is appropriate for the rant thread but it has me stressed all the same! I just found out the dates I need to attend a webinar for California board licensing and it happens to be over the Easter weekend! Working in emergency practice taking 4 days off work (the course will be from 3am-1pm for me with the time difference) is almost impossible.
I know I will manage to make it work. But I was enjoying having a short break over the past few days and have ended up being stressed about this instead!
I am super excited to be moving to the US for Internship, but coming as an international definitely adds an extra layer of nerves to the whole process!
I know I will manage to make it work. But I was enjoying having a short break over the past few days and have ended up being stressed about this instead!
I am super excited to be moving to the US for Internship, but coming as an international definitely adds an extra layer of nerves to the whole process!
But there will be sunlight 😎AND it's the day after we spring forward, so everyone will be tired and grumpy.![]()
My son turned 16 yesterday. 'Nuff said.
Congratulations!! Also good luckMy son turned 16 yesterday. 'Nuff said.

Dear past me: why were you absolute **** at downloading lecture notes to save to your computer
I mean, it wouldn't be a problem if the school didn't cut off access to our lecture notes after 1 year. But past me was still a horrible person and I don't want to be "that person" and ask for a ton of past lectures from friends now that I suddenly want them for a presentation

I mean, it wouldn't be a problem if the school didn't cut off access to our lecture notes after 1 year. But past me was still a horrible person and I don't want to be "that person" and ask for a ton of past lectures from friends now that I suddenly want them for a presentation

thats dumb af you only have access for a yearDear past me: why were you absolute **** at downloading lecture notes to save to your computer
I mean, it wouldn't be a problem if the school didn't cut off access to our lecture notes after 1 year. But past me was still a horrible person and I don't want to be "that person" and ask for a ton of past lectures from friends now that I suddenly want them for a presentation
![]()
Is the 15 min rule not actually a real thing (ie. if the professor doesn’t show up within 15mins of class start you can leave)?I once had a professor whose Saturday class went from 9 am - 12 noon. She arrived at a highly variable time between 9:20 and 10 am. She was draconian about her lateness policy with students. Her written policy was that you would be refused entry if you got caught showing up after 9 am. Attendance was a huge proportion of our grades. You couldn't risk that she would actually show up at 9 am one day. So, we all had to show up at 9 and wait outside the classroom for 30-40 minutes for her to get there and unlock the room and start class.
R
RTC19
Is the 15 min rule not actually a real thing (ie. if the professor doesn’t show up within 15mins of class start you can leave)?
Not at my school.
I always thought that was kind of an urban legend rooted in convention. Like, in general, I think 15 minutes is an appropriate time to wait for someone (if they're late and you haven't heard from them) before you consider it a wash. A lot of doctor's offices have rules that if you are 15+ minutes late your appointment is cancelled. My gyno also has the opposite policy, where if you've been waiting 15+ minutes past your appointment time, you should approach the receptionist to consider rescheduling.Is the 15 min rule not actually a real thing (ie. if the professor doesn’t show up within 15mins of class start you can leave)?
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Same thoughDear past me: why were you absolute **** at downloading lecture notes to save to your computer
I mean, it wouldn't be a problem if the school didn't cut off access to our lecture notes after 1 year. But past me was still a horrible person and I don't want to be "that person" and ask for a ton of past lectures from friends now that I suddenly want them for a presentation
![]()
I don't really get the stigma over sharing notes. Note taking is a talent. In my case, my friends are good at it, and I suck at it.
It doesn't mean I didn't try -- it means I tried and ended up with 3 pages of illegible scribbles, unfinished sentences, and a lot of "{FILL IN LATER}" shorthand, while they ended up with color-coded masterpieces that could probably be published now and later framed and gifted to the Smithsonian as paragons of 21st century scientific art
It doesn't mean I didn't try -- it means I tried and ended up with 3 pages of illegible scribbles, unfinished sentences, and a lot of "{FILL IN LATER}" shorthand, while they ended up with color-coded masterpieces that could probably be published now and later framed and gifted to the Smithsonian as paragons of 21st century scientific art
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't really get the stigma over sharing notes. Note taking is a talent. In my case, my friends are good at it, and I suck at it.
It doesn't mean I didn't try -- it means I tried and ended up with 3 pages of illegible scribbles, unfinished sentences, and a lot of "{FILL IN LATER}" shorthand, while they ended up with color-coded masterpieces that could probably be published now and later framed and gifted to the Smithsonian as paragons of 21st century scientific art
I feel this deeply.
My problem is that I got through school fine and now suddenly don't have some of the notes I need. But then also I'm not super close friends with the super note takers.
And idk it feels kind of moochy of me to suddenly ask for notes now when we're almost done 🙁
If they're vet students, then they might happily accept mooching in exchange for 20 bucksI feel this deeply.
My problem is that I got through school fine and now suddenly don't have some of the notes I need. But then also I'm not super close friends with the super note takers.
And idk it feels kind of moochy of me to suddenly ask for notes now when we're almost done 🙁
Why would they cut you off? that makes no sense!Dear past me: why were you absolute **** at downloading lecture notes to save to your computer
I mean, it wouldn't be a problem if the school didn't cut off access to our lecture notes after 1 year. But past me was still a horrible person and I don't want to be "that person" and ask for a ton of past lectures from friends now that I suddenly want them for a presentation
![]()
My school has a share drive that has notes and things back to the c/o 2018 I believe. There's a legit legend from the c/o 2019 and almost everyone I know utilizes her outlines/notes. I feel like notes are meant to be shared! I could never make as good of notes as she does and would also waste so much time trying instead of focusing on actually learning the material
There are some people in my class who I swear can write down the entire lectures verbatim.I don't really get the stigma over sharing notes. Note taking is a talent. In my case, my friends are good at it, and I suck at it.
It doesn't mean I didn't try -- it means I tried and ended up with 3 pages of illegible scribbles, unfinished sentences, and a lot of "{FILL IN LATER}" shorthand, while they ended up with color-coded masterpieces that could probably be published now and later framed and gifted to the Smithsonian as paragons of 21st century scientific art
Most of my notes are 1) jokes I thought about while they were talking 2) things I think will be on the test because my spider senses tingled while they were talking about them 3) translation of what I thought they were saying
They're only useful sometimes, although I have been told by several people that my spider senses are great

But sometimes the act of note-taking actually helps with actually learning the material better. *insert fancy neuro explanation*I could never make as good of notes as she does and would also waste so much time trying instead of focusing on actually learning the material
I feel your point tho. People with colorful notes with highlights are OCD unicorns and I love them. I can see some of my physics notes or whatever where I fell asleep in lecture that day based on how my handwriting trails off with letters on top of each other.
Oh dont get me wrong, I take notes all throughout lecture. I'm usually one of the people typing away when no one else is. I do this mostly to focus while im in lecture. doesnt negate the fact that most of the notes aren't very helpful to study from after this lolBut sometimes the act of note-taking actually helps with actually learning the material better. *insert fancy neuro explanation*
I feel your point tho. People with colorful notes with highlights are OCD unicorns and I love them. I can see some of my physics notes or whatever where I fell asleep in lecture that day based on how my handwriting trails off with letters on top of each other.
I stopped taking notes in most classes about half way through vet school. Realized I was too worried about notes and not really listening to the lecture. I'm an auditory learner so I'm much better at just sitting and listening instead of writing.
I wiiiiish. I'm not an auditory learner at all and learn northing by just listeningI stopped taking notes in most classes about half way through vet school. Realized I was too worried about notes and not really listening to the lecture. I'm an auditory learner so I'm much better at just sitting and listening instead of writing.
R
RTC19
I stopped taking notes in most classes about half way through vet school. Realized I was too worried about notes and not really listening to the lecture. I'm an auditory learner so I'm much better at just sitting and listening instead of writing.
Same! People told me all about the research that writing is good for learning. However, I found the same thing you did where I learn best simply by listening closely and paying attention. So often on tests, I recall information needed to answer the question by retrieving that auditory memory and "hearing" the little piece of the lecture again in my mind.
It could also have something to do with me being a terrible multi-tasker. I sometimes miss the next point when I am busy writing down the first point and then get lost/confused. I love when classes have recorded lecture so I can go back and take notes later.
RTC..I am the same way. If I am trying to write a note, then I just missed the next thing that is said. I did well with highlighting in book/handout, then going back and making notations after the fact.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I'm so bad at auditory things. I have to either read or write the info, often reading is sufficient but writing it down or at least taking some notes keeps my brain a little more focused (prone to wandering thoughts while reading otherwise)
I had such bad anxiety about a patient last night that I had trouble sleeping and today everything is fine, except that I’m dead tired. I wish it was easier to let these things go sometimes.
ETA: there has also been a duck-barking dog in the break room next to the doctors’ office all day long and I don’t usually want to punt small dogs, but I might make an exception today.
ETA: there has also been a duck-barking dog in the break room next to the doctors’ office all day long and I don’t usually want to punt small dogs, but I might make an exception today.
Man it's really really really annoying and irritating to get plagued by a stupid illness since Sunday with no signs of improving 🤢

🙁
Do you have coronavirus???!!! 😱 😱 😱Man it's really really really annoying and irritating to get plagued by a stupid illness since Sunday with no signs of improving 🤢🙁
Do you have coronavirus???!!! 😱 😱 😱
I have no idea but it's on my mind since i got a flu shot like few months ago 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(Fwiw I don't think the flu shot has been particularly effective this year. My whole family got flu shots and also got the flu before coronavirus was even a thing)I have no idea but it's on my mind since i got a flu shot like few months ago 🙁
Feel better soon Lawpy ☕
Man it's really really really annoying and irritating to get plagued by a stupid illness since Sunday with no signs of improving 🤢🙁
Didn't you hear?!?Do you have coronavirus???!!! 😱 😱 😱
I wiiiiish. I'm not an auditory learner at all and learn northing by just listening
Ditto.I stopped taking notes in most classes about half way through vet school. Realized I was too worried about notes and not really listening to the lecture. I'm an auditory learner so I'm much better at just sitting and listening instead of writing.
D
deleted676737
What an... interesting... time to start my new job in public health. I'll just leave it at that. Today has been insane.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5K
- Views
- 152K