RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I stopped taking notes in most classes about half way through vet school. Realized I was too worried about notes and not really listening to the lecture. I'm an auditory learner so I'm much better at just sitting and listening instead of writing.
Ditto.

Members don't see this ad.

What an... interesting... time to start my new job in public health. I'll just leave it at that. Today has been insane.

Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My cats just ripped through their food bin, bit the lid off the greenies treats (like, tooth marks in the plastic and half of it ripped off), and ate enough to almost make themselves sick :lame:

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
My coworker remains incapable of doing anything herself
So I have now wasted even more of my time on something she should have done and explicitly said she would do

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I was just contacted by our surgery department asking if the student surgery club had any non-expired gowns or gloves because there's a shortage :doctor:

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I was just contacted by our surgery department asking if the student surgery club had any non-expired gowns or gloves because there's a shortage :doctor:
Yeah we got an email from our central supply requesting that the surgery departments try to use the reusable gowns more for now

• Wow
Baptism by fire! Ngl this is pure career/resume/CV candy and something you can talk about in future interviews for better jobs. :thumbup:
Apparently we have two suspected/possible cases in the county with very recent travel history to South Korea who are symptomatic, and they'd be the first confirmed cases in the state if they come back positive. So, yeah... it'll be interesting to see what happens with that. We're just thankful that we finally got a handful of test kits yesterday. Most likely just influenza, but it’s got us worried.

But, yes, baptism by fire. It's definitely been a learning experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
But I'm wondering why? Are we somehow using more because of coronavirus? Are they making less? What is happening?
A lot of things are manufactured in China, so it's a dual issue of those products being kept in the country as they are needed there, and also that some of the manufacturing plants as well as export routes have been shut down

This was from Medline about 2 weeks ago:
Coronal Virus Weekly update to our Customers and our Sales Team,

Below is a note on how we see the current situation as it relates to the Coronavirus and what we are doing about it.

As you all have seen in the news Wuhan Coronavirus is spreading quickly with confirmed cases continuing to rise. Here are the important facts related to this outbreak.
1. The Chinese government is prioritizing facemasks and PPE production for the domestic China market, and hence, we expect a reduction in capacity and/or delayed shipments from our factories.
2. The province in China where a large percentage of PPE is manufactured (for the entire industry) is Hubei Province, the same origin as the Coronavirus. The Hubei Province government recently extended mandatory factory closure through March 10, 2020. (A large percentage of traditional Wound Care production also originates in this province.) Highways, public transport, rail, river and air travel have all been restricted to emergency medical teams only. As a result of this, further delays in getting products from Hubei Province are expected.
3. The Chinese government extended the Chinese New Year holidays causing production workers to return to work later than planned. To date they are still not nearly fully staffed. This will have an impact on multiple product categories.
4. This sort of action is unprecedented, and we have no accurate data as to when the restrictions will be lifted.
5. Categories impacted by the current situation in China are listed below:
a. Facemasks – Surgical and Isolation
b. PPE – Isolation Gowns and Coveralls
c. Traditional Wound Care
d. Surgical Drapes and Gowns
e. Components for Standard and Custom Packs
As numerous efforts are being taken within China to prevent further spread of the virus, we are beginning to see a real impact on manufacturing operations for facemasks and other PPE products within that country. As such, we will see a reduction in capacity and/or delayed shipments for facemasks and other PPE throughout the industry for the foreseeable future. Our top priority is to ensure our current customers domestically have the essential supplies they need to protect both patients and staff. Medline has multiple production locations for the items impacted in our global supply chain and has ramped up production in all areas possible, while diligently monitoring the situation in China. This is an extremely challenging time in healthcare. Medline will continue to monitor the situation both locally and on the ground at our supply locations to effectively manage inventory. We are doing all we can to support our current customers to limit and/or reduce supply interruptions. Our commitment to you and our customers is regular, transparent communication, and as always we will make sure we are conservative in our approach and under promise and over deliver

Apparently we have two suspected/possible cases in the county with very recent travel history to South Korea who are symptomatic, and they'd be the first confirmed cases in the state if they come back positive. So, yeah... it'll be interesting to see what happens with that. We're just thankful that we finally got a handful of test kits yesterday. Most likely just influenza, but it’s got us worried.

But, yes, baptism by fire. It's definitely been a learning experience.
Reminds me of when the new TN state wildlife vet started and the first positive CWD test in the state popped up like a month later

• Wow
I don't really get the stigma over sharing notes. Note taking is a talent. In my case, my friends are good at it, and I suck at it.

It doesn't mean I didn't try -- it means I tried and ended up with 3 pages of illegible scribbles, unfinished sentences, and a lot of "{FILL IN LATER}" shorthand, while they ended up with color-coded masterpieces that could probably be published now and later framed and gifted to the Smithsonian as paragons of 21st century scientific art

Is there a stigma? My friend group is really good about sharing notes and offering notes when we know someone has missed a lecture. Seems silly not to help each other out.

Reactions: 1 users
Try getting a surgical mask. I know some vets who are starting to make reusable cloth ones to get ahead and make some money on the side.

Soooooo they put my roommate on self quarantine (not here thankfully) because she just came back from an outbreak area. But this is after we had a giant fight about her not coming back to the house because my other roommate and I thought she should self-quarantine. Spoiler alert she didn't until forced to. *Sigh* she's a public health person too, she should understand this. If she won't comply why the hell should we think the public will? I'm so annoyed.

Reactions: 8 users
Soooooo they put my roommate on self quarantine (not here thankfully) because she just came back from an outbreak area. But this is after we had a giant fight about her not coming back to the house because my other roommate and I thought she should self-quarantine. Spoiler alert she didn't until forced to. *Sigh* she's a public health person too, she should understand this. If she won't comply why the hell should we think the public will? I'm so annoyed.

If she came back from an active outbreak area, that's so annoying. Common sense.

That said, I have a Europe trip planned for May and come back 2 days before I'm supposed to walk the stage. If I have to cancel my trip or end up having to miss grad by self quarantining I'm gonna be so mad.

If she came back from an active outbreak area, that's so annoying. Common sense.

That said, I have a Europe trip planned for May and come back 2 days before I'm supposed to walk the stage. If I have to cancel my trip or end up having to miss grad by self quarantining I'm gonna be so mad.
If I have to cancel my spring break trip in two weeks I will also be incredibly mad.

Already bummed enough from SAVMA being cancelled. I don't have any more trips planned until July so hopefully things will be chill by then...

That's my hope for May but it's not looking good...

London and Greece might be okay. The last 3 nights in Rome though...

• Sad
My cats just ripped through their food bin, bit the lid off the greenies treats (like, tooth marks in the plastic and half of it ripped off), and ate enough to almost make themselves sick :lame:
I should clarify that they had THREE dinners tonight already.

THREE
Turns out this was a warning sign... I came home today to find the cloth cabinet-thing holding all their food bags and toys turned upside down, with all the contents dragged out.

They chewed completely through the plastic/aluminum kibble bags.

I fed them a huge breakfast this morning -- they get wet food twice a day and free choice dry food so there was really no reason for this level of drama.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Here we’re rationing masks, caps, and booties for surgery. You’re allowed 1 set per day unless they get contaminated to try and save what we do have so we don’t run out

I have a lot of thoughts about the coronavirus stuff because things got cray cray around here today, but I'm going to keep them to myself for now to try to contain the drama lol. I will simply say that I sympathize with you all and hope everyone stays safe.

Fun fact: according to my sister, the major hospital where she works has their respirator masks locked up as of today.

I have a trip to Japan March 27th that I’ve been looking forward to for two years. It’s pretty much kaput

• Sad
I don't really get the stigma over sharing notes. Note taking is a talent. In my case, my friends are good at it, and I suck at it.

It doesn't mean I didn't try -- it means I tried and ended up with 3 pages of illegible scribbles, unfinished sentences, and a lot of "{FILL IN LATER}" shorthand, while they ended up with color-coded masterpieces that could probably be published now and later framed and gifted to the Smithsonian as paragons of 21st century scientific art
Stigma? Huh?? We have a google drive shared between the class and people are always posting their notes to it so everyone can benefit. My class is really good about helping each other out in general though.

Looks like I found a weekend project! Are they just making them out of cotton/polyester?

Are you on the fb group Vetsy? It’s a vet-only group where vets post their side hustle crafts. That’s where I saw them. I do leatherwork not fabrics so I don’t have any idea what they’re made of.

(Sorry vet students and pre-vetties, you’ll have to graduate before you can join.)

Edited to remove a typo that made me sound like the redneck I am.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I'm going to NYC early April and just see it as a good test of my immune system, right?

I have literally the worst luck when it comes to concerts/events being cancelled on me and am very suspicious it's gonna happen again but oh well still NYC even if so! (cries internally)

• Sad
I have the weirdest clients, and I feel like the weirdest of the weird are all coming to see me this week. My shoulders are getting sore from shrugging it all off.
March 9th is gonna be terrible tho. Mercury is still retrograde until almost 9 pm AND THERE IS A FULL MOON.
So I looked it up, and the full moon on March 9th is called the "Worm Moon". I know what's coming!!! :heckyeah:
Y I K E S

3582D95C-6294-4482-8223-8443C8D082B4.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha
Are you on the fb group Vetsy? It’s a vet-only group where vets post their side hustle crafts. That’s where I saw them. I do leatherwork not fabrics so I don’t have any idea what they’re made of.

(Sorry vet students and pre-vetties, you’ll have to graduate before you can join.)

Edited to remove a typo that made me sound like the redneck I am.

Man this post was a rollercoaster of excitement followed by disappointment.

At least I only have to wait 3 months to join? Haha

It's been a long time since I've been on SDN, but I figured this might be a good place for some advice maybe.

So I have a classmate who I'm friends with. We both have the same career path in mind so that bonded us. During first and second year we didn't spend that much time together at school because we were in different halves of the class. Little things she would do would kind of annoy me, but it wasn't a big deal because I was able to get a lot of space. Though, now we are in the same track for third year and I see her ALL THE TIME. We have class together every day, eat lunch together every day (because she follows me no matter where I go), and she was also in my surgery team for all of our spays and neuters (though thankfully those are done with). It's been really hard to get space because there are only 6 of us in our track. I go home with every opportunity for lunch I get, but that isn't always doable. Do you guys ever have someone that just literally everything they do grates on your nerves? Just everything about her personality makes me want to scream right now and I really feel terrible about it.

Another problem to mention is the fact that she speaks for me when faculty ask about our career path and has said in public conversation "oh we are basically the same person". NO WE ARE NOT. We don't even want to do the same things within our general career path. She also assumes that we are going to be partners for every lab. I had to talk to her that it would be good to work with other people for our track surgeries so at least I was able to get that separation. I've talked to some friends about it and our school mental health counselor and we've all come to the same conclusion that I need to talk to her. I've been pulling away, but it seems to make her hold on even tighter. We also currently have 3 rotations scheduled together for 4th year - one of which is for 4 weeks and will be living in the same building (kind of like an externship but through our school). I'd reschedule that one, but really like the rest of my schedule and don't want to mess it up. While in a normal situation I might be more willing to cut ties, but I realize that she has been a really good friend to me otherwise and we may also encounter each other professionally in the future. Does anyone have any advice on how I can talk to her about this in a way that at least preserves our professional relationship? If I don't talk to her and don't get some space soon, I'm pretty sure I'm going to eventually explode at her which would not be good.

• Sad

When it comes to this type of stuff I find it best to be as direct as possible. Directness is not always received that well (especially now that I'm in the midwest as opposed to the northeast..), but there are always decent ways to word things to soften the blow. I might tell her almost exactly what you're telling us here. Be sure to highlight the positive "you've been a really good friend to me and I appreciate how much we have in common," etc. and then tell her while those things are true, just for your own personal reasons you'd appreciate some space. Definitely try to have this conversation in person, as it can be hard to discern tone over text/email/whatever. Perhaps add that it's nothing she's done wrong, you'd just like some professional distance. Be prepared for her not to take it very well, as it seems like she might be that kind of person. If that happens, just give it time and hope she'll come to her senses. If not, oh well. As long as you gave it your best shot to be friendly but direct and professional, there's not much else you can do.

I came on here though to say GUESS WHO'S MISSING AGAIN! I brought her to the dog park in my complex, she found the first available hole in the fence, and left. I don't even know how she finds these escape routes. I went after her for a bit, but she gets tunnel vision/hearing when she's on the run and just goes.

apparently I never posted this but the draft saved. she's home. ran across a major road, but we're safe.

Reactions: 5 users
Final update about the cat I was all bent out of shape about 6 weeks ago: he’s going home today and I’m so sad!

Sounds like she wants to hit that.

My roommate said the same thing. I personally don’t think that’s the case. She’s just really socially awkward and I think has a hard time making actual friends even though she says hi to LITERALLY EVERYONE WE WALK BY in our class (another thing that’s been irking me) or will even yell to get their attention if they are too far away. I’m hoping to talk to her this week, but I’m really non-confrontational so it’s gonna be hard to start the conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
You probably do thank you so much. It’s difficult because I don’t want to hurt her feelings, but I really need her to let me be my own person. I already know people lump us together in conversation and I just don’t do well when people glom onto me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk