RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
(LONG POST):
So, as some of you may know, my new job has been fraught with shenanigans (most recently my hours were extended cause the PT Dr who has been habitually calling off has now taken a 1+ month long leave of absence) but I had a brief chat with my ROD on Wednesday. Last 2 weeks, we have had traveling internists come by, and I’ve noticed that I’ve missed US. I’ve been at my clinic full time for like 3-4 weeks (I was in the 3 month mentorship program from my initial hire in Sept) and last week, my medical director said to come up with an US proposition and mention it to the ROD on Wed. So we talked and she’s like, “put together a request for the $20,000 machine and there’s a reasonably good chance you’d get it. Just be confident.”

I’m still reeling. I’m used to being shot down when I ask for things so I tend to never ask for anything in life (cause, it’s me...).

If anyone has suggestions of what to include in my paperwork request (primarily good CE or whatevs; @dyachei , I’m thinking of you cause I admire your awesome) but any others who work in a clinic as a Dr or tech that has US....I’d appreciate input. Please PM or tag me in a post. I’m debating about putting my nonSA US experience but, it’s wxoerience so....

Gotta work on my day off after Grayson/Bombogenesis but....it’s weird. This new feeling....

Does work mostly suck? A good portion. But is a paycheck nice (albeit small)? Yeah...

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone has suggestions of what to include in my paperwork request (primarily good CE or whatevs; @dyachei , I’m thinking of you cause I admire your awesome) but any others who work in a clinic as a Dr or tech that has US....I’d appreciate input. Please PM or tag me in a post. I’m debating about putting my nonSA US experience but, it’s wxoerience so....
I'm "the ultrasound person" at my clinic. Bosses had the machine for about three years before I showed up but neither really used it for more than cystos. I never did any formal training and we definitely have someone come in to do our full abdominal ultrasounds with the machine, but I probably use it daily for a variety of things.

I would honestly hate to move to a clinic without one now. I use it mostly for repro, emergency and urinary workup but am slowly getting some confidence in echos and respiratory stuff. The Focused Ultrasound Techniques for the Small Animal Practitioner is basically my bible and I ultrasound sleepy post-op patients pretty regularly just for practice.

LA/equine experience isn't irrelevant for ultrasound though - I'd put it on. Sure it's not the same species, but the hand-eye driving skills are similar and that can't be taught at a weekend class.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm "the ultrasound person" at my clinic. Bosses had the machine for about three years before I showed up but neither really used it for more than cystos. I never did any formal training and we definitely have someone come in to do our full abdominal ultrasounds with the machine, but I probably use it daily for a variety of things.

I would honestly hate to move to a clinic without one now. I use it mostly for repro, emergency and urinary workup but am slowly getting some confidence in echos and respiratory stuff. The Focused Ultrasound Techniques for the Small Animal Practitioner is basically my bible and I ultrasound sleepy post-op patients pretty regularly just for practice.

LA/equine experience isn't irrelevant for ultrasound though - I'd put it on. Sure it's not the same species, but the hand-eye driving skills are similar and that can't be taught at a weekend class.
Thanks @Trilt ! Very helpful. I may pick your brain occasionally. I figured non SA (LA & dolphins...) was worth including cause driving and tissue recognition :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
(LONG POST):
So, as some of you may know, my new job has been fraught with shenanigans (most recently my hours were extended cause the PT Dr who has been habitually calling off has now taken a 1+ month long leave of absence) but I had a brief chat with my ROD on Wednesday. Last 2 weeks, we have had traveling internists come by, and I’ve noticed that I’ve missed US. I’ve been at my clinic full time for like 3-4 weeks (I was in the 3 month mentorship program from my initial hire in Sept) and last week, my medical director said to come up with an US proposition and mention it to the ROD on Wed. So we talked and she’s like, “put together a request for the $20,000 machine and there’s a reasonably good chance you’d get it. Just be confident.”

I’m still reeling. I’m used to being shot down when I ask for things so I tend to never ask for anything in life (cause, it’s me...).

Gotta work on my day off after Grayson/Bombogenesis but....it’s weird. This new feeling....

Does work mostly suck? A good portion. But is a paycheck nice (albeit small)? Yeah...
Well, I mean just put what you want to use it for and why you think it would help grow the business/pay for itself.

I will admit that I SUCK at US. I was never formally trained in it and can do very limited things with it. But we have it at work and even using it for cystocentesis or during preg check appointments, it has made us quite a bit and allowed us to advertise it. The other vet is much better at it than I am.

I ultrasound sleepy post-op patients pretty regularly just for practice.

My new job has an US. Two docs already use it regularly and well and I want to become good (or better at least). I find that I don't have the time to just drive around for practice AND what do you do for critters not clipped for an abd surgery? It's an awkward limbo where I know I need to practice to improve but how can I find the time? :\

My new job has an US. Two docs already use it regularly and well and I want to become good (or better at least). I find that I don't have the time to just drive around for practice AND what do you do for critters not clipped for an abd surgery? It's an awkward limbo where I know I need to practice to improve but how can I find the time? :\

You have a dog right? He'll learn to lay quietly on his back eventually :-D
For client dogs, lots and lots of alcohol goes a long way for getting through hair. Pictures aren't perfect but I can usually get a brief look around with a combo of spray alcohol and hand sanitizer.

We have two small animal ultrasound machines at work. My dogs have been ultrasounded hundreds of time at this point. I'm hoping to do some CE next year. Right now, I use it for every single cysto, and make a point of briefly scanning liver/spleen/kidneys in cooperative patients. Everything I xray gets a quick look to "check for free fluid" and I'll glance at the major organs for my own learning at no cost to owner.

Reactions: 3 users
AND what do you do for critters not clipped for an abd surgery?
Douse'em in alcohol usually.

Time I can't really help with... I pull the ultrasound out a lot just for personal interest during cases. As I've gotten better at it I've charged for it more and more but to begin with it was just so I knew what I was doing.

Reactions: 1 users
You have a dog right? He'll learn to lay quietly on his back eventually :-D
For client dogs, lots and lots of alcohol goes a long way for getting through hair. Pictures aren't perfect but I can usually get a brief look around with a combo of spray alcohol and hand sanitizer.

We have two small animal ultrasound machines at work. My dogs have been ultrasounded hundreds of time at this point. I'm hoping to do some CE next year. Right now, I use it for every single cysto, and make a point of briefly scanning liver/spleen/kidneys in cooperative patients. Everything I xray gets a quick look to "check for free fluid" and I'll glance at the major organs for my own learning at no cost to owner.

I like your thinking :shifty:

Everyone at the new place uses it for cystos (I'm better at just palpating and poking in cats since our US at the old job sat in a closet)...maybe when I go for a cysto I can drive around for a minute or two...

I like your thinking :shifty:

Everyone at the new place uses it for cystos (I'm better at just palpating and poking in cats since our US at the old job sat in a closet)...maybe when I go for a cysto I can drive around for a minute or two...

Just using it for "routine" cystos, I've diagnosed a crap ton of stones, a large handful of bladder tumors, one pyometra, 2 prostatic masses/cysts, and 4 splenic masses. My free "drive arounds" have paid off :-D Even if you use the ultrasound to look, and then put it down to poke it can help get accustomed to it.

Reactions: 2 users
Douse'em in alcohol usually.

Time I can't really help with... I pull the ultrasound out a lot just for personal interest during cases. As I've gotten better at it I've charged for it more and more but to begin with it was just so I knew what I was doing.
I almost never clip horses before I ultrasound them unless they have the winter coat of an eskimo covered in burrs, dirt, and god knows what else. I just grab a gallon jug of alcohol and give them a bath basically. Works pretty well.

-clears throat-

CHAI HAS HER STAPLES OUT. Goes to daycare on Saturday. I shall be able to do amazing things like GO TO THE GROCERY STORE.

Reactions: 11 users
I scrubbed in on an arthrex bio TransFix CCL replacement allograft today!!!
(Essentially the human way to repair cruciates, currently in clinical trials with dogs).
It. Was. So. Cool.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Got back from my Star Trek cruise. It was really really cool ( or nerdy, depending on your perspective). Met a bunch of the actors, got to do some diving, paid WAY less for the trip than a lot of people on the boat. AND, on the way home, was able to snag the last first class seat on my plane. Since I fly standby, that means the whole thing was freeeee

Reactions: 9 users
I scrubbed in on an arthrex bio TransFix CCL replacement allograft today!!!
(Essentially the human way to repair cruciates, currently in clinical trials with dogs).
It. Was. So. Cool.
Tell me more???

Got back from my Star Trek cruise. It was really really cool ( or nerdy, depending on your perspective). Met a bunch of the actors, got to do some diving, paid WAY less for the trip than a lot of people on the boat. AND, on the way home, was able to snag the last first class seat on my plane. Since I fly standby, that means the whole thing was freeeee
:cool:Wow, flamey. Sounds like a fun tine!!!

Those Vikings though :D

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

I'm not even a fan of either of those teams but I saw a clip of the winning touchdown set to Titanic music and I must have watched it like 12 times...I love a good upset.

mostly I'm just really happy the Steelers lost

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not even a fan of either of those teams but I saw a clip of the winning touchdown set to Titanic music and I must have watched it like 12 times...I love a good upset.

mostly I'm just really happy the Steelers lost
I saw that clip too :rofl:
And lol tagged kcough in it hahaha

But don’t let @WildZoo see that part about the Steelers

Just one of those good days with a whole lotta wins and happy clients and fixed (or on the way to being fixed) pets.

And I'm off tomorrow. :D

Reactions: 8 users
After 3 weeks of doing almost nothing but laying in bed, hopelessly applying for work with no results, and feeling absolutely discouraged and lost in direction, I'm happy to say that things are finally starting to turn around a bit as interviews are rolling in! I know that it's not much, but I haven't felt this happy and hopeful in a while!
Keep your chin up, sandy!!! I’m hopeful that good things will come your way with these interviews!!!

I'm engaged! :D:love:

So thrilled and so excited for life with my guy. :)

Reactions: 27 users
This doesn't start as a rave, but it really is, I swear! :p

Last night I found out I was rejected from grad school. I had a feeling my application wasn't what they were looking for - my BS degree (animal science - it was the "pre-vet" option, and yes, I am kicking myself for this) gave me the requirements to apply, but nothing past that. I've never taken virology, immunology, molecular bio, cell bio beyond 100-level, calculus, or genetics w/ a lab. I haven't taken any advanced classes in biology. At first I was thinking of retaking one class and the GRE and trying again, but it's actually more cost effective to just go back full time. It will make a much bigger difference, too.

So I just applied to return to undergrad for the upcoming school year. :D I already have about 3/4 of what I need for a B.S. in microbiology, so I can earn that degree in one year and improve my science GPA and relevant course experiences, AND (as a student) have way more access to research-related jobs and internships on campus, AND earn a degree that is actually applicable to my career goals. It feels like a huge step in the right direction. I'm so excited to be a student again! I put together a spreadsheet of the classes I need to take, when they're offered, etc., and it all works out perfectly. I'm really, really excited about this.

(now watch my undergrad look at my application for re-admittance and say "nah, we don't want her again" and send me a rejection. wouldn't that just be great. :laugh:)

Reactions: 18 users

Last night I found out I was rejected from grad school. I had a feeling my application wasn't what they were looking for - my BS degree (animal science - it was the "pre-vet" option, and yes, I am kicking myself for this) gave me the requirements to apply, but nothing past that. I've never taken virology, immunology, molecular bio, cell bio beyond 100-level, calculus, or genetics w/ a lab. I haven't taken any advanced classes in biology. At first I was thinking of retaking one class and the GRE and trying again, but it's actually more cost effective to just go back full time. It will make a much bigger difference, too.

So I just applied to return to undergrad for the upcoming school year. :D I already have about 3/4 of what I need for a B.S. in microbiology, so I can earn that degree in one year and improve my science GPA and relevant course experiences, AND (as a student) have way more access to research-related jobs and internships on campus, AND earn a degree that is actually applicable to my career goals. It feels like a huge step in the right direction. I'm so excited to be a student again! I put together a spreadsheet of the classes I need to take, when they're offered, etc., and it all works out perfectly. I'm really, really excited about this.

(now watch my undergrad look at my application for re-admittance and say "nah, we don't want her again" and send me a rejection. wouldn't that just be great. :laugh:)
I’m sorry grad shool isn’t working out yet, but happy that you’ve figured out that you’ll be able to get a microbio degree pretty easily and will be able to get jobs you want!! I’m hoping for you that they’ll readmit you! I don’t see why they wouldn’t! GOOD LUCK PBC YOU CAN DO ITTTTT

I’m sorry grad shool isn’t working out yet, but happy that you’ve figured out that you’ll be able to get a microbio degree pretty easily and will be able to get jobs you want!! I’m hoping for you that they’ll readmit you! I don’t see why they wouldn’t! GOOD LUCK PBC YOU CAN DO ITTTTT

They shouldn't deny me since it's not like this is a super competitive thing, but my brain still does the BUT WHAT IF game. :laugh:

I loved the classes for my microbiology degree because they were soooo much more up my alley than anything for zool was. I hope you end up feeling that way too.

Reactions: 6 users
I really really liked my intro microbio and if I had taken it earlier than my final semester, I probably would’ve taken more and possibly either majored or minored in it if I kept liking it a lot. I did love some of my chem classes though :love:

Get research experience along with your upper division bio courses. If you're applying to research based Masters or Ph.D. programs, that is absolutely essential. It's important for the application itself - just like vet schools want to see vet experience so it looks like you did your homework and know what you're getting into, a research based grad program wants to know you've at least been exposed to a research environment and like it. It's also important for you to actually know what you're getting into, haha!

If I tell myself that the Ravens used to be the Browns I can tolerate them.
I have a lot of respect for the Steelers/Ravens rivalry and some of the long time (now retired) Ravens players.

Meanwhile I hate everything about the Bengals.

I love my mom. :love:

When I mentioned that grabbing a frozen container of soup out of the freezer on my way to school was super convenient and helping me eat healthier I came home to her cooking several pots of different soups on the stove. I now have about a months worth of healthy (and oh so amazingly tasty) lunches sitting in the freezer.

Moving out is going to suck so bad. :laugh:

I have a lot of respect for the Steelers/Ravens rivalry and some of the long time (now retired) Ravens players.

Meanwhile I hate everything about the Bengals.

I actually think it's more fun to act like the Bengals are too insignificant to care about. It drives Bengals fans crazy.

Reactions: 4 users
Get research experience along with your upper division bio courses. If you're applying to research based Masters or Ph.D. programs, that is absolutely essential. It's important for the application itself - just like vet schools want to see vet experience so it looks like you did your homework and know what you're getting into, a research based grad program wants to know you've at least been exposed to a research environment and like it. It's also important for you to actually know what you're getting into, haha!

That's one of the reasons I'm excited to go back! :D I've been getting just a bit of lab time this year by volunteering, but now my student is basically done and I haven't found anyone else to work with. All the research experience I have from undergrad is in forestry and animal science, so not related to what I'm applying for, and it has been really hard to get experience without being a student. I'm planning to start talking to PIs there once I am registered for classes.

Small rant: our dog spay took well over 4 hours today and we had to miss lectures since our surgery was going into our class time, so we're all behind now
Rave: She had a lot of bleeding/complications but my group managed it all so well. Surgeons were great, and I somehow kept my cool as anesthetist despite her pressures dropping, but the pup is doing well now :D

Reactions: 2 users
Small rant: our dog spay took well over 4 hours today and we had to miss lectures since our surgery was going into our class time, so we're all behind now
Rave: She had a lot of bleeding/complications but my group managed it all so well. Surgeons were great, and I somehow kept my cool as anesthetist despite her pressures dropping, but the pup is doing well now :D
Oh wow, our spay surgeries started around noon, and we had no classes afterward. Many of us were there until 9pm for various reasons, including prolonged recovery. I'm in LA block now, and in our LA surgery elective, and again, no classes are scheduled after our surgeries. That just seems like a bad idea. I know lots of people skip class regularly, but personally, I have a hard time doing that as I just don't learn it as well if I'm not there.