RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh wow, our spay surgeries started around noon, and we had no classes afterward. Many of us were there until 9pm for various reasons, including prolonged recovery. I'm in LA block now, and in our LA surgery elective, and again, no classes are scheduled after our surgeries. That just seems like a bad idea. I know lots of people skip class regularly, but personally, I have a hard time doing that as I just don't learn it as well if I'm not there.
The day of surgery, our SOAPs have to be in by 6AM (most students arrive by 5:30AM). Most cuts happen around 8AM, most groups are done around 10 depending on the patient/surgery. Our dog already needed double the pre-meds just to get her to sit still for shaving, so we were already behind in that aspect. We didn't cut until close to 9.

Then we have classes from 1-3, some people have electives after 3. It is extremely stupid and most people are so damn exhausted that they do skip. I always go because it takes me far longer to go through/listen to a lecture at home by myself vs. the 50min lecture at school. Can't go when your patient decides to have a mystery bleeder than 3 surgeons couldn't find and that wouldn't clot in 4 hours :shrug:

No one really knows why we have to do it in the morning tbh, there's a lot of questions about our junior surgery program where the answer is "That's just what we've always done."

Members don't see this ad.

The day of surgery, our SOAPs have to be in by 6AM (most students arrive by 5:30AM). Most cuts happen around 8AM, most groups are done around 10 depending on the patient/surgery. Our dog already needed double the pre-meds just to get her to sit still for shaving, so we were already behind in that aspect. We didn't cut until close to 9.

Then we have classes from 1-3, some people have electives after 3. It is extremely stupid and most people are so damn exhausted that they do skip. I always go because it takes me far longer to go through/listen to a lecture at home by myself vs. the 50min lecture at school. Can't go when your patient decides to have a mystery bleeder than 3 surgeons couldn't find and that wouldn't clot in 4 hours :shrug:

No one really knows why we have to do it in the morning tbh, there's a lot of questions about our junior surgery program where the answer is "That's just what we've always done."
That's weird. We had full days off for surgery and they staggered the start times.

We just do a quick PE/SOAP in the AM, usually due by 8 or 9. Classes from 8-11 or 9-12 and then go to surgery with staggered start times. Surgery is exhausting, you really shouldn't have to go to class afterward. Maybe someone should present that to those in charge of the surgery course, especially since it seems most other schools don't seem to do it that way? I understand staff doesn't want to stay late, but students shouldn't feel like they should rush through a surgery. We are already more likely to make a mistake due to inexperience, no need to add to that by rushing you through surgery too.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's weird. We had full days off for surgery and they staggered the start times.
They stagger our premed times which ends up somewhat staggering induction/cut times, but not always since the staggering is just a 5-10 minute difference from the next group. It gets super frustrating when you're waiting over an hour to induce/intubate because the effectiveness of premeds/efficiency of everyone varies, and we end up all ready to induce at the same time on some days.

@Skimble Our junior surgery is def valuable, but absolutely not efficient whatsoever. It's been a point of contention for students for a loooong time (everything from the early mornings to the fact that there aren't enough surgeons, so we have waited for up to 30min just to get approval to cut/suture/etc) but no changes are made. You can only pull so many clinicians/techs off the hospital floor to help run it, too. Our junior surgery head clinician is the nicest person though, she's new and is doing what she can with the mess she's been given.

Plus, they have us do these surgeries the week of our midterms and multiple weeks in a row :hilarious:

Last edited:

Ours was the same. Didn't have to get there quite that early in the morning, but did surgery usually from 8 - whenever we were done, around 10:30 for neuters and around lunch time for spays, then classes from 1:30 - 5:20. A lot of people definitely skipped lectures those days, but also a lot of people skipped lectures on most normal days too.

Ours was the same. Didn't have to get there quite that early in the morning, but did surgery usually from 8 - whenever we were done, around 10:30 for neuters and around lunch time for spays, then classes from 1:30 - 5:20. A lot of people definitely skipped lectures those days, but also a lot of people skipped lectures on most normal days too.
Did your whole class have surgery at once? Right now we're split into two halves (Groups A and B), and one group has the whole morning off (or occasionally a non-surgery lab) while the other half is in surgery. It gets sticky when one group has the morning off while the other group has surgery during a midterm week.

Did your whole class have surgery at once? Right now we're split into two halves (Groups A and B), and one group has the whole morning off (or occasionally a non-surgery lab) while the other half is in surgery. It gets sticky when one group has the morning off while the other group has surgery during a midterm week.

We had three different groups, and similarly the "off" groups would have another lab or the morning off, depending. We never had surgeries during major exam weeks though! We finished all our neuters before midterms and all our spays before finals.

We had 3 surgery groups A, B and C... all in the afternoon just on different weekdays. Surgery lab was in the afternoon.... you were expected to be there by 12:30ish setting up so that you could start by 1. We had spay/neuter labs and terminal labs. A terminal surgery day you'd be there until 5-7PM. Just spay/neuter maybe until 3-4PM. Surgery reports were due next morning if you had a Wednesday or Thursday lab. Due Monday if you had a Friday lab. Patient care only needed on spays/neuters so Friday lab people had to come in on the weekend. I had Friday lab, I liked it, 3 lab mates splitting up weekend duties worked well. And you'd get extra time for the lab report.

We don’t have any surgery practicals at my school. All of our surgery experience is from our rotations and externships. I really wish we had some, but I think it would be logistical nightmare here with our massive class. This is one thing I really dislike about this school.

We had 4 groups (A, B, C, D) and surgery labs were only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. So you would end up having SAOP every other week with the labs always in the afternoons. We had to SOAP our dog the day before, the morning of, and the day after surgery. The surgery report would also be due the morning after surgery. The day of surgery the anesthetist had to get their plan approved by 12:30. Then table times were staggered. You either had a 1pm or 2pm table time.

Reactions: 1 user
We had two groups and Tuesday and Friday afternoon surgeries. Had to check on your dog in the morning, then normal class for a couple hours before surgery starting at noon. Then had to come in that night and the next morning to check on them/walk/feed and (if Saturday) help load up and clean everything.

Tuesday group had to contend with more classes and tests near their surgeries. Friday people had to come in on the weekend which sometimes sucked. I thought it worked fairly well with the normal student inefficiency.

We had 3 surgery groups A, B and C... all in the afternoon just on different weekdays. Surgery lab was in the afternoon.... you were expected to be there by 12:30ish setting up so that you could start by 1. We had spay/neuter labs and terminal labs. A terminal surgery day you'd be there until 5-7PM. Just spay/neuter maybe until 3-4PM. Surgery reports were due next morning if you had a Wednesday or Thursday lab. Due Monday if you had a Friday lab. Patient care only needed on spays/neuters so Friday lab people had to come in on the weekend. I had Friday lab, I liked it, 3 lab mates splitting up weekend duties worked well. And you'd get extra time for the lab report.
This is our setup minus terminal sx. Surgery is through the local shelters in the afternoon all week long with a mixture of third years and shelter med rotation 4th years (surgeons only usually to fill open spots and they roam the room in case one of us has a problem. Clinicians are around as well of course) as surgeons, assistant surgeons and anesthetists rotations. One spay one neuter per rotation day.

I got an ER job at a specialty hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love::love::love:

And my SO has several interviews at GP places in areas nearby! It seems like things are finally falling into place :love::love:

Reactions: 27 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to veterinarians EVERYWHERE! :love:

This bear's paws were badly burned in the Southern California wildfires of last month.

BurnedBear.jpg

Ouch, ouch, ouch ... the bear's burned paws!

BurnedBearOuch.jpg

A team of veterinarians stitched fish skins onto the bear's burned paws, then wrapped the treated paws with bandages of rice paper and corn husks (after reading about trials on human burn victims in Brazil that placed treated skins from tilapia, a ubiquitous species of fish, on burn victims to soothe their pain and promote healing).
[I think some SDNers might work with this veterinarian.]

BurnedBearVet.jpg

The bear's paw is covered in fish skin.

BurnedBearFish.jpg

The bear recovered well ... and was released back into the wild last week. :biglove:

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Thank you to veterinarians EVERYWHERE! :love:

This bear's paws were badly burned in the Southern California wildfires of last month.

View attachment 228431

Ouch, ouch, ouch ... the bear's burned paws!

View attachment 228434

A team of veterinarians stitched fish skins onto the bear's burned paws, then wrapped the treated paws with bandages of rice paper and corn husks (after reading about trials on human burn victims in Brazil that placed treated skins from tilapia, a ubiquitous species of fish, on burn victims to soothe their pain and promote healing).
[I think some SDNers might work with this veterinarian.]

View attachment 228432

The bear's paw is covered in fish skin.

View attachment 228435
The bear recovered well ... and was released back into the wild last week. :biglove:
Love the fish skin bandage, very cool

Reactions: 2 users
But does it enhance the bear's desire to eat his bandage? :thinking:
According to the veterinary team, the two adult bears (who were provided with this treatment) did not eat their fish skin and corn husk bandages. The bears sustained third-degree burns.

@StayingPositive2017 is correct: the fish skin and corn husks, if eaten by the bears, would not lead to intestinal blockage (unlike a cloth bandage).

They also treated a 5-month-old mountain lion cub who sustained second-degree burns.

However, unlike the bears, the mountain lion cub ate his fish skin and corn husk bandages.

Due to his young age, the mountain lion cannot be returned to the wild.

mountainlionburn.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
@Doctor-S we are currently treating a fire burn victim here (SA) and i was just joking the other day about how he needs fish skin feet since they've been experimenting with that in people! how cool for those bears!!

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if they autoclave the fish skin if it still smells like fish?
I imagine getting it all hot and moist would make it smell MORE like fish.

That's what she said? I've been watching too much of The Office lately.

Reactions: 4 users
I imagine getting it all hot and moist would make it smell MORE like fish.

That's what she said? I've been watching too much of The Office lately.
You can never watch too much of The Office.

Just got out of a phone interview for what sounds like an amazing dual quality control and animal husbandry job with Purina... I made it to the in-facility interview and tour stage, woo! Doesn't pay quite as much as I was hoping but definitely not bad for an entry-level position and offers nice benefits. I'm excited and really, really hope that it works out. :)

Thinking good thoughts for you!

Just got out of a phone interview for what sounds like an amazing dual quality control and animal husbandry job with Purina... I made it to the in-facility interview and tour stage, woo! Doesn't pay quite as much as I was hoping but definitely not bad for an entry-level position and offers nice benefits. I'm excited and really, really hope that it works out. :)
Hoping it works out well for you ... and liking your new avatar, too!

So my SO and I have been looking to buy a lake type tandem kayak for the better part of a year now. We keep delaying because we don't need to spend that kind of money so close to moving and me going to school. We'll we finally decided to bite the bullet and buy one because my dad could get $200 back from his work as a fitness equipment claim. We decided to bite the bullet we were going to go tomorrow so I called to see if they had the one we wanted in stock. It was 25% off! So I now own a beautiful kayak for a total of $325 instead of a total original price of $590. Looking forward to warmer weather!:D:soexcited::love:

Reactions: 11 users
Today was just one of those unicorn days at work.

Every single appointment was either a puppy, a kitten, or a good client. Everything was either healthy or super simple, owners were all super happy with the care they received, and everyone just passed out their credit card after doing all the recommendations without even blinking at the cost.

As a cherry on top, I get to start doing IV caths next week. :)

Reactions: 9 users
An interesting thought, though I think I read that the wild animals eat their bandages anyways, so they used the fish skins and corn husks because they are digestible and not a FB concern?
This is part of it. Fish skin also does not need to be changed nearly as often as a traditional bandage (or doesn't need to be changed at all and is allowed to fall off on its own). Less/no bandages changes cuts the need to sedate/anesthetize. also some doctors say it reduces pain and healing time, too. A zoo I was at was looking into doing something like this for a vulture with severe pododermatitis, it's a really cool concept!

I wonder if they autoclave the fish skin if it still smells like fish?
I think they cold sterilize it...maybe it just ends up smelling like chemicals, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Decided to share this on here. Although you guys don't know me or my SO in person we are some of the most neutral, uneventful people and his proposal was exactly us. We decided to go shopping for rings and we found the one I liked and his so we bought them and I figured he would wait and asked me later, make and event of it. Instead he decided to surprise me and even himself and asked me in the dirt parking lot of the restaurant we went to for lunch after shopping which neither of us were expecting :laugh:

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-4_20-18-46.png
    upload_2018-2-4_20-18-46.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 14 users
Decided to share this on here. Although you guys don't know me or my SO in person we are some of the most neutral, uneventful people and his proposal was exactly us. We decided to go shopping for rings and we found the one I liked and his so we bought them and I figured he would wait and asked me later, make and event of it. Instead he decided to surprise me and even himself and asked me in the dirt parking lot of the restaurant we went to for lunch after shopping which neither of us were expecting :laugh:
That is awesome! :biglove: Congrats!

Congratulations!

CONGRATULATIONS, MIXY!!!!! :biglove: :biglove: :biglove:

Congratulations! That's such a pretty ring, very unique!

CONGRATS!!!!

I keep writing something mildly sappy and then deleting it... eh.

Got notified this morning that I've spent 10 years hanging out in this ridiculous place.

I'm glad SDN exists, both as an educational resource, for camaraderie and simple fun. I never thought when I started to consider being a vet as a high schooler that an online forum would make such an impact, but it really has.

Cheers to ten more, I suppose. :happy:

Reactions: 19 users
Volunteering the foal ICU...the hours may not be great but the foals are worth it!

Reactions: 5 users
Awwwww. Is Cheese buttering you up so that your guard is down for your ultimate demise? :love:

I kid, I kid. I’m glad he’s being cuddly and loves you!!!

I mean the first is probably true too even if he loves her
He's always buttering me up. But he was being super cute last night. I accidentally fell asleep after cuddling with him and he slept in my arms the whole time

Reactions: 5 users
I keep writing something mildly sappy and then deleting it... eh.

Got notified this morning that I've spent 10 years hanging out in this ridiculous place.

I'm glad SDN exists, both as an educational resource, for camaraderie and simple fun. I never thought when I started to consider being a vet as a high schooler that an online forum would make such an impact, but it really has.

Cheers to ten more, I suppose. :happy:

I’ll get the same message in about a month! And I know what you’re saying. Who’d a thunk it.