RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Called someone into the police at work (gas station) yesterday for suspected impaired driving (coworker told me car smelled incredibly strongly of Fireball).

Later in the day cop came by to let us know it turns out she was sober, and then she called back to THANK US for calling the police because she was happy we cared so much about sobriety behind the wheel.

Hilarious reason why her car smelled like Fireball? Her dog urinated on the back seat, and when she asked Google for advice it was suggested that she use a combo of rubbing alcohol and cinnamon essential oil to get the smell out.

Just so happy that she was the unicorn human that understood that the greater good was worth a slight inconvenience on her end.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My cat was treated at her veterinary hospital for an infection.

My cat thanked the veterinarians and the techs with a box of donuts. :love:

Hope they liked the sweet treats ... because we really appreciated their expertise, care and treatment!

Donuts for Vets.JPG

Reactions: 15 users

Hope they liked the sweet treats ... because we really appreciated their expertise, care and treatment!

View attachment 232493

I guarantee they loved them :)

Reactions: 1 user
The ones on a diet might have hated them, but I guarantee they loved the sentiment. It’s nice to be appreciated instead of getting complained to about the price or the results or or or...

Reactions: 7 users

View attachment 232493
You are definitely a favorite client and patient anywhere you go that's for sure! It makes me happy that there are people like you out in the world, I hope I have clients like you.

Reactions: 2 users
I always loved when clients would bring food as a thank you. We once had a client (who had a difficult case that turned out great) who owned a BBQ restaurant (I live in Texas so no surprise there). She brought in an entire lunch for us from her work- brisket, sausage, mashed potatoes, Mac n cheese, fried okra, other side. Apparently she okay’d it with the vet/ practice owner beforehand, but it was an amazing surprise for us.

I guarantee, DrS, that your kitty’s gift was well appreciated.

Reactions: 3 users
You are definitely a favorite client and patient anywhere you go that's for sure! It makes me happy that there are people like you out in the world, I hope I have clients like you.
@Coopah come to think of it ... if you ever practice veterinary medicine in Southern California, you might become my cat's veterinarian in the future!

Ditto for the other SDNers who end up in California!

Hope everyone likes donuts! :)

@Coopah come to think of it ... if you ever practice veterinary medicine in Southern California, you might become my cat's veterinarian in the future!

Well now I'm considering taking California's boards and changing my career trajectory so I can hang out with Dr. S and her cat :thinking:

The doughnuts were free, you say? :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Reactions: 7 users
I always loved when clients would bring food as a thank you. We once had a client (who had a difficult case that turned out great) who owned a BBQ restaurant (I live in Texas so no surprise there). She brought in an entire lunch for us from her work- brisket, sausage, mashed potatoes, Mac n cheese, fried okra, other side. Apparently she okay’d it with the vet/ practice owner beforehand, but it was an amazing surprise for us.

I guarantee, DrS, that your kitty’s gift was well appreciated.
@cdoconn thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

Whenever my cat is treated by her veterinarians, my cat brings them a "thank you" gift - mainly donuts or decorated cupcakes from a bakery.

Up until now, I haven't thought about bringing them regular food, such as BBQ food or pizza. I wasn't sure if they would want regular food since they're so busy, and might not have time to eat baby back ribs or pizza when they're busy working. Now you've given me something to think about as a future "thank you" gesture. Thank you! :)
[I'll make sure my cat asks them ahead of time if they like to eat regular food - in case any of them are vegan, or have food allergies, or whatever.]

Last edited:
Well now I'm considering taking California's boards and changing my career trajectory so I can hang out with Dr. S and her cat :thinking:

The doughnuts were free, you say? :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:
@vetmedhead all "thank you" gifts are always free!

My cat wouldn't dream of being a cheapie-cat!

Reactions: 4 users

Whenever my cat is treated by her veterinarians, my cat brings them a "thank you" gift - mainly donuts or decorated cupcakes from a bakery.

Up until now, I haven't thought about bringing them regular food, such as BBQ food or pizza. I wasn't sure if they would want regular food since they're so busy, and might not have time to eat baby back ribs or pizza when they're busy working. Now you've given me something to think about as a future "thank you" gift. Thank you! :)

[I'll make sure my cat asks them ahead of time if they like to eat regular food - in case any of them are vegan, or have food allergies, or whatever.]
My roommate has actually managed to talk several of the teaching hospital's more difficult clients not only into bringing food, but into bringing healthier food like hummus, vegetables, fruit, etc. She's got a pretty special talent for client communication.

You also might be surprised by just how many things veterinary clinics and hospitals are amenable to receiving as food gifts! I think the sentiment is appreciated more than anything else, so whatever you felt like bringing by would almost certainly be appreciated by the staff.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Up until now, I haven't thought about bringing them regular food, such as BBQ food or pizza. I wasn't sure if they would want regular food since they're so busy, and might not have time to eat baby back ribs or pizza when they're busy working. Now you've given me something to think about as a future "thank you" gift. Thank you! :)

You're so considerate! I keep meaning to deliver goodies to my dog's vet (because no way do I treat my own). In my experience receiving said gifts, pizza goes over very well. You may not have time to sit down with a fork and eat, but you can grab a slice of pizza and shove it in on the go, haha. Depending on the clinic, veggie trays or even sandwiches can go over well too...sweets are a popular option and always appreciated, but it's nice to have a healthier option sometimes!

Edit: Ninja by VMH, but same sentiment. :)

You're so considerate! I keep meaning to deliver goodies to my dog's vet (because no way do I treat my own). In my experience receiving said gifts, pizza goes over very well. You may not have time to sit down with a fork and eat, but you can grab a slice of pizza and shove it in on the go, haha. Depending on the clinic, veggie trays or even sandwiches can go over well too...sweets are a popular option and always appreciated, but it's nice to have a healthier option sometimes!

Edit: Ninja by VMH, but same sentiment. :)
One of the rescues in town occasionally just pays for a full buffet of catered food for our whole staff every once in a while. It's fabulous

One of the rescues in town occasionally just pays for a full buffet of catered food for our whole staff every once in a while. It's fabulous
We had a client at my internship that would bring catering trays of Noodles and Company plus cakes at least once a month. A couple of the frequent ER clients (seizure dogs, etc) could tell when it was insane and call in pizza for delivery. At my residency hospital, there are some oncology clients that get soup, salad, and breadsticks from Olive Garden several times a semester. They get way more than one rotation can eat...one time I counted like 20 gallons of soup. Oncology eats their share then just put it in the lunch room for whoever.

Never know, I might end up down there at some point!
But the CA state boards are like another NAVLE....
Half of the mentions we get from professors are "this will definitely show up on your state boards, and next to nothing about NAVLE :laugh: I'm sure that will come up later.

Reactions: 1 users
But the CA state boards are like another NAVLE....
WA state boards are an at home test on local laws you mail in. Why can’t every state’s be that easy...

Up until now, I haven't thought about bringing them regular food, such as BBQ food or pizza. I wasn't sure if they would want regular food since they're so busy, and might not have time to eat baby back ribs or pizza when they're busy working. Now you've given me something to think about as a future "thank you" gesture. Thank you! :)
such a good idea! We love food, whatever way they come! We had another client bring a more fork and knife lunch and we were basically able to put labeled plates in the back/ breakroom and when you had a minute you could grab a forkful before getting back to work (but we had a very laid back clinic so that probably varies between clinics).

But yeah, it’s definitely the thought that counts! It was nice on the waist to not have something sweet, but I’m a sucker for food so I’ll eat anything. :laugh:

Ouch...that belongs in the rant thread not here lol!
Lolol yeah it does. I was just contributing to conversation though lol.

So question, I’m a little confused about how licensing works with internships & residencies, if anyone wants to help me out with that.

Let’s say I graduate from Oklahoma State, get an internship at Colorado, do a residency at North Carolina, and move back to Texas post residency to actually work. Do I have to be licensed for all 4 of those (rhetorical) states??

So question, I’m a little confused about how licensing works with internships & residencies, if anyone wants to help me out with that.

Let’s say I graduate from Oklahoma State, get an internship at Colorado, do a residency at North Carolina, and move back to Texas post residency to actually work. Do I have to be licensed for all 4 of those (rhetorical) states??
I would think yes for CO and TX (not sure how the residency would work). I know specifically for the year you're in CO you have to pay the licensing fee and send them your NAVLE scores. Then you have to work under a licensed vet for a probation period...90 days (I think I can't remember for sure). Then you recieve full licensure here in CO. Unsure on the other states though.

Apparently Texas’s licensing fee is $515 for the license and $195 to renew it... wtf
Also it has a test and it looks like if you fail you have to pay the whole $515 to apply again....

I would think you would have to be licensed in at least all of the states you practice in, but not sure if you’re required to become licensed in the state your school is in. But being licensed in multiple states DOES give you more opportunity down the line to move and be licensed there if you keep them active. Like my dad can’t work in Florida as an orthodontist because he’d have to retake his dental boards which has a clinical portion so he’d have to do fillings and make crowns and stuff, which he hasn’t done in over 25 years. At least for dentistry, Florida doesn’t have reciprocity

If you are doing an academic internship and/or residency a lot of schools have policies that allow them to give "temporary licenses" (not sure if that is the correct term) to their interns and residents so that they may practice with supervision at the school. It is invalid outside the school, that way they don't have to be licensed. However another large portion does require you to have licenses for their practice/ facility so the short answer is it depends.

If you are doing an academic internship and/or residency a lot of schools have policies that allow them to give "temporary licenses" (not sure if that is the correct term) to their interns and residents so that they may practice with supervision at the school. It is invalid outside the school, that way they don't have to be licensed. However another large portion does require you to have license's for their practice/ facility to the short answer is it depends.
Like I read when I was looking for CO you must obtain a full license and no temporary licenses will be given. So it sounds like the second portion of Coops piece.

Ewww. Why? Note to self don't move to TX after graduation. Coming back to CO is just fine.
Most clinics down here will pay for your licensing! I know the clinic I worked at paid for your licensing.
Texas too hot
Blasphemy. Michigan is too cold.

Also, what I’m understanding is that it depends. Hopefully I can get an internship and a residency all at the same school (I’m not picky- will move wherever in the country that pays me to cut). And then move down to Texas. :laugh:

You probably wouldn't need to be licensed in OK if you never work there after you graduate - as an example, I know a fourth year who will be working in Idaho after her graduation from here and she just needs to get an Idaho license, not an Idaho and a Colorado license. As for the others, you will most likely need to be licensed unless the state specifically allows you to operate under an institution without having your own individual license. I know that Texas specifically prohibits this - it actually says on their licensing website that if you're doing something like that then you're violating the state's practice act because you need your own individual license to practice in that state.
If you are doing an academic internship and/or residency a lot of schools have policies that allow them to give "temporary licenses" (not sure if that is the correct term) to their interns and residents so that they may practice with supervision at the school. It is invalid outside the school, that way they don't have to be licensed. However another large portion does require you to have licenses for their practice/ facility so the short answer is it depends.
Luckily if you are looking to work in a different state, the institution/clinic you're looking to work with will likely have a good idea of the licensing situation and will probably bring you up to speed on the requirements as they relate to you.

Also it has a test and it looks like if you fail you have to pay the whole $515 to apply again....
Luckily it seems their test is just on a few pieces of veterinary-specific legislation and they provide study materials for it online.

I'm sure Texas kind of felt like they had to have a test given how many weird veterinary things exist in that state that pretty much aren't a concern for anywhere else in the country.

Luckily it seems their test is just on a few pieces of veterinary-specific legislation and they provide study materials for it online.

I'm sure Texas kind of felt like they had to have a test given how many weird veterinary things exist in that state that pretty much aren't a concern for anywhere else in the country.
I saw them. But like, that’s a lot of money to have to pay twice if you **** up :p

I don’t have a problem with tests, I just don’t like the idea of having to fork over half a grand twice :laugh:

WA’s you need like a 90 to pass, but if you fail you can retake the test for like $100 vs having to pay the whole application fee. I’m sure it doesn’t happen often, but that would probably be hard for a lot of 4th years/new grads to pay for again.

You may have to be licensed or just have a temp license or practice under the school’s license.

Get a place that will pay for your licensing if you can.

If considering ambulatory practice of any kind, you may need multiple state licenses. Stuff to consider when so many people have the “do the cheapest” option party line.

What everyone said is true. I applied for NAVLE through my vet school’s state but never took their state boards or paid for the license there. I was at a private practice internship so we had to be licensed. At my residency, we’re covered under a faculty/teaching license but I can’t do relief shifts or work anywhere outside the university without getting a full license in that state. Heck, the veterinary suppliers won’t even let me open a personal account since I’m technically not fully licensed in the state I live in. Doesn’t matter that I’ve maintained my license in the internship state. I’ve been told that not all universities have the umbrella policies...a former faculty member at Mississippi State told me that had to get their own full license.

In regards to kaydubs comments about multiple state licenses, that’s a good thing to think about. I know someone who practices mixed animal in Oklahoma but is only 30 minutes from both Texas and Kansas. I think he used to be licensed in all three, but then he decided to only take farm calls in Oklahoma and the Kansas and Texas people just have to haul in to his clinic.

Also, some states will grant you licensed by reciprocity after you’ve had one for several years (2-5ish from what I’ve seen). You usually still have to take a laws exam if they have one, but you wouldn’t necessarily need to get your NAVLE scores from the NAVLE people and some stuff, but you do have to get letters that you’re in goof standing from any state you are/have been licensed in which can be a headache. One resident told me though that because she’d been licensed several years though, she wouldn’t have to take that NAVLE-esque portion of the California boards? I haven’t verified that though because I ha e no desire to practice in California.

I think I'm going to have to look into if I'll need to be licensed to work for the USDA in California. Not looking forward to taking any more tests than I need to

Texas is far too hot. The south is too hot. I like me some 60s-70s. I do not like 85+.
yeah but if you’re not actually OUTSIDE it’s fine. You learn to manage it/ plus you were only in Texas for a very short time and weren’t able to acclimate to it!