RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Follow up: It gets EVEN better. Not only did I find a place to live in the city I'll be moving to later this summer, I found out yesterday that I PASSED MY BOARDS!!! :soexcited::biglove:
So unspeakably thrilled that I don't have to do that whole bit again next year!!!!
CONGRATSS!!!! :bow::bow::bow:

What was your residency in?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Two stray tabby kitties (looked about 8 weeks old) hung out in the woods in front of my house this morning while momma was off hunting. I came home this afternoon right as she was showing up to claim them. So I put out a bunch of cat food and secretly watched them eat. Squee!

Reactions: 7 users
I just spent most of my night shadowing a couple doctors at the emergency hospital here and I can’t believe I’ve never done this before. Tonight was AMAZING.

A dog came in with classic marijuana toxicity symptoms with the owner, the owner’s mother and the owner’s friend. When the doctor mentioned if there was any chance of there being any marijuana it immediately turned into a fight between the three of them. It reminded me of this gif.

8179F467-0ADE-4109-8130-E90B492DE15C.gif

We also had a really cool abdominal surgery this morning at 1 am that lasted just over 2 hours. I got to retract the duodenum and the pancreas to repair some gnarly damage. I’m excited for my next 2 days here. Makes me want to consider doing and ECC internship next summer!

Bed time!

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Almost month 2 of having two jobs (it's a long story but I got approached by my old small animal GP clinic that I used to work at to help out part time because they were swamped), and it's actually going well!!! :biglove: I mean, I still love my ER job more, but part time GP aint so bad, especially with awesome coworkers/mentors.

Reactions: 9 users
Can I just say that my co-workers have really made this transition much easier for me. I was worried that I wouldn't have the necessary means to furnish my apartment. So my co-workers asked me to make a wish- list of everything I need and have literally purchased my kitchen furniture, my whole bedroom suite, and bathroom necessities. My stress has literally decreased and I've been left crying tears of joy because of all these blessings!!

Reactions: 9 users
I had my last necropsy shift this afternoon. I was afraid we wouldn't have anything and I'd spend my last shift cleaning or making formalin, but nope, we had a super busy caseload and we had two large animals (my favorite cases :love:), so I couldn't be happier. This really has been the best job. I have some great stories, and I've met so many awesome people. Every day at this job has been a rave - I'm so luck to have had this experience.

Reactions: 12 users
dumb question...ok, I know kinda how a bridle works....but is a bitless like what I grew up calling a head halter? with reins attached? or am I really just not remembering how all that works? (it has been about 30 years...)

dumb question...ok, I know kinda how a bridle works....but is a bitless like what I grew up calling a head halter? with reins attached? or am I really just not remembering how all that works? (it has been about 30 years...)
Sort of, but more refined. Halters usually fit looser because they're not used for refining movements, just basically controlling the horse. Bitless bridles (and there's a TON of them on the market) are like a more refined/fitted halter-with-reins. We use a Nurtural, which puts pressure on the opposite side of the face to turn the head (ie, right rein pressure puts pressure on the left side of the face, causing the head to turn to the right) and on the nose for slowing/backing/collection. Some are "side-pulls" which are almost the definition of a halter with reins and literally pull the head where you want to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Kinda sorta interesting thing to rave about but I'm a huge Westworld (tv show) fan and in this last season there was an episode called "Kiksuya" that truly touched my heart!
There is a scene in particular that reduces me into a puddle of tears every freaking time. The show is known for taking modern music and "remaking" it. For example, in this scene, the composer took Heart-Shaped Box by Nirvana and turned it into a piano solo. This scene encompasses perfection in my opinion not just with the music but also with the acting and the writing. In the spoiler below, I'll give some background for this scene for those who haven't seen westworld and don't care about spoilers :)
So SPOILER ALERT!! (also there is nudity in this scene, just a heads up if that makes you uncomfortable)
The man in this scene is Akecheta and he was in love with a woman named Kohana. They are both androids however he has "awakened" and has come to understand the world he lives in is "wrong" (it's not real but fabricated for the real people). Kohana was taken from him by the humans and he was reprogrammed with a different story. However, over the past 9 years he searched nearly the entirety of the park looking for her. He realized he had searched everywhere except the "true" world. He had survived in the park for the 9 years because he believed that if he died he would lose his memories of Kohana. So, he let himself be killed so he could get to the facility. This scene shows the moment where, after a 9 year search, he finds her in the cold storage room. But...she has been deactivated. She is not "alive" anymore. This scene shows the grief of Akecheta as he comes to understand this and the realization that his pain and grief for her was selfish. Every person in cold storage was a deactivated android and there were androids out there who grieved for them as loved ones even if they didn't realize their loved ones had truly been replaced. The man he sees in the background was the son of one of the native american tribe leaders he associated with and he had been replaced by another android (again, same story) and his mother felt as if "he wasn't right" almost as if he was a "ghost".
In a later scene, akecheta takes that man's braid back to the woman and tells her that her son has passed so she can get closure.

For those of you who haven't scene Westworld, I highly recommend it!! :)

Kinda sorta interesting thing to rave about but I'm a huge Westworld (tv show) fan and in this last season there was an episode called "Kiksuya" that truly touched my heart!
There is a scene in particular that reduces me into a puddle of tears every freaking time. The show is known for taking modern music and "remaking" it. For example, in this scene, the composer took Heart-Shaped Box by Nirvana and turned it into a piano solo. This scene encompasses perfection in my opinion not just with the music but also with the acting and the writing. In the spoiler below, I'll give some background for this scene for those who haven't seen westworld and don't care about spoilers :)
So SPOILER ALERT!! (also there is nudity in this scene, just a heads up if that makes you uncomfortable)
The man in this scene is Akecheta and he was in love with a woman named Kohana. They are both androids however he has "awakened" and has come to understand the world he lives in is "wrong" (it's not real but fabricated for the real people). Kohana was taken from him by the humans and he was reprogrammed with a different story. However, over the past 9 years he searched nearly the entirety of the park looking for her. He realized he had searched everywhere except the "true" world. He had survived in the park for the 9 years because he believed that if he died he would lose his memories of Kohana. So, he let himself be killed so he could get to the facility. This scene shows the moment where, after a 9 year search, he finds her in the cold storage room. But...she has been deactivated. She is not "alive" anymore. This scene shows the grief of Akecheta as he comes to understand this and the realization that his pain and grief for her was selfish. Every person in cold storage was a deactivated android and there were androids out there who grieved for them as loved ones even if they didn't realize their loved ones had truly been replaced. The man he sees in the background was the son of one of the native american tribe leaders he associated with and he had been replaced by another android (again, same story) and his mother felt as if "he wasn't right" almost as if he was a "ghost".
In a later scene, akecheta takes that man's braid back to the woman and tells her that her son has passed so she can get closure.

I did an ever so mildly Delos-inspired camp WW game a year or so back... suuucccch a good series. :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Someone remind me to come back and look at this when I've caught up lol

Kiksuya was definitely my favorite episode of the season. It was a strange break from the zillion-storylines theme the show normally has since the whole episode focused on him, but it was definitely an emotional journey.

I can't get caught up until my brother is back from fire fighting :yeahright: He'd be pissed if I watched it without him, but I'm a little tempted . . .

I enjoyed Westworld, but it is too smart for me. Even after reading the synopsis for each episode and watching explanation Youtube videos, I still can't wrap my head around wtf was going on in season 2. My mother understood perfectly and adores the show, though.

Kiksuya was definitely my favorite episode of the season. It was a strange break from the zillion-storylines theme the show normally has since the whole episode focused on him, but it was definitely an emotional journey.
I agree that it was a strange break but it's officially my favorite episode of all time! It showed that they can make an episode that centers on 1 thing and they can do it well! The writing was remarkable! And Zahn Mclarnon (akecheta) was sublime!!

I enjoyed Westworld, but it is too smart for me. Even after reading the synopsis for each episode and watching explanation Youtube videos, I still can't wrap my head around wtf was going on in season 2. My mother understood perfectly and adores the show, though.
Girl NO! You are incredibly smart!! It's just a freaking super convoluted show :p If you wanna PM and we can discuss it feel free to open one up because I love talking about what things can possibly mean or trying to explain the complicated **** storm that is this show :D

Also, if anyone here who enjoys the show and has modded before would like to co-mod the game with me at some point in the future I would LOVE that!!!!! :D
C L A I M E D

there, now i have a reason to catch up :p

I have an official offer for grad school!!! I was told it would be approved, but actually having it approved is still a huge relief. Half of my stipend will go right back into paying tuition, so I'm hoping I can convince my mom that she wants me to live at home for two more years . . . :p

Reactions: 18 users
I have an official offer for grad school!!! I was told it would be approved, but actually having it approved is still a huge relief. Half of my stipend will go right back into paying tuition, so I'm hoping I can convince my mom that she wants me to live at home for two more years . . . :p
Congrats!!!! So pleased for you, lovely!!!

I slept well without a sleeping pill for the first time in weeks! (okay yes, there was a strong painkiller that can make me drowsy on board... by the end of my shift last night I could hardly stand) I woke up on time and I'm not groggy! :)

I've been working really hard to get my more reactive cat to let me do her nails without it being a traumatic experience for either of us, and so far today, I've trimmed 4 nails with her awake with nothing more than pulling her foot away a few times. No growling, no hissing, no swiping!

She's been giving me the stink eye, but that's amazing improvement considering what she's normally like. A lot of patience is paying off!

(Normally 3 is about her limit before she's totally over it, so getting a 4th and having her still be chill is a really big deal)

Edit: #5!!! She only really needs one more done, the rest I've gotten over the last few days, so cross your fingers.

Edit #2: Just got the 6th one done and she's still lying on her heating pad with her eyes closed and relaxed. :claps:

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Did my first pneumocolonogram today which was pretty cool. I still can't read radiographs though.

Rectal'd the same patient only to be able to feel a fabric foreign body after 3 days of waiting for it. The temptation to pull was strong :laugh:

I still can't read radiographs though.

I take abd rads on plenty of patients and most of the time it's a lot of squinting and head turning and playing with the contrast and consulting my fellow docs and we all say, "Doesn't LOOK like anything in there..." Most of them aren't nice round rocks or metal screws or whatever.

Hope your fabric FB finishes its journey here soon ;)