RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My class (3rd years) rallied with the 2nd and 4th years to raise enough money to get Hamilton tickets for 2 of our professors who work absurdly hard and are underappreciated (and really wanted to go see it, but couldn't afford to). They sent me pictures last night from before the show and the backstage tour that one of my classmates was able to set up, and I've never seen either of them look so excited and happy.

Doing good things is fun.
Which profs? I'm just curious... :D

Members don't see this ad.

I took a couple days off from work for a quick trip home and got to meet my 7.5 week old nephew for the first time. And as a bonus, my best friend since freshman year of undergrad also had a baby today! (She was due yesterday and I was just hoping that the baby came before I had to go back home). I am super awkward around babies, but it's nice being home. I should get to meet my friend's baby on Friday since she just lives about 45 minutes away from my parents.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got to see the Haemophysalis longicornus tick today (the new invasive tick from Asia/ Australia that first popped up in New Jersey at the end of last year). Said tick was sent in from Arkansas- it’s already spread to 12 different states! Estimated to have arrived in 2010, but due to its similar appearance to Rhipicephalus sanguineus, it was just misdiagnosed.

It was really really cool! Very new, very rare! Picture in spoiler, adult male(?) tick under dissecting scope.

Kill them all.

Apparently the females can just asexually reproduce, they can transmit a buttload of diseases, and they taste amazing.

Kill them all.

Apparently the females can just asexually reproduce, they can transmit a buttload of diseases, and they taste amazing.
Yes! My professors were in love with them. I think they’re going to be a nationwide nightmare here in the next 2-3 years.

I think they’re resistant to most of our prevention methods as well, but I can’t exactly remember.

Kill them all.

Oh god I came here from a notification from Jayna posting, read her post, then read your post without reading the quoted part. WAS INCREDIBLY CONCERNED.

Still am incredibly concerned, but for different reasons

Reactions: 1 users
Oh god I came here from a notification from Jayna posting, read her post, then read your post without reading the quoted part. WAS INCREDIBLY CONCERNED.

Still am incredibly concerned, but for different reasons
Yes yes babies taste very yummy nom nom

I got to see the Haemophysalis longicornus tick today (the new invasive tick from Asia/ Australia that first popped up in New Jersey at the end of last year). Said tick was sent in from Arkansas- it’s already spread to 12 different states! Estimated to have arrived in 2010, but due to its similar appearance to Rhipicephalus sanguineus, it was just misdiagnosed.

It was really really cool! Very new, very rare! Picture in spoiler, adult male(?) tick under dissecting scope.

How do you tell them apart from the rhipi’s?

How do you tell them apart from the rhipi’s?
Good question! It depends which segment is laterally produced (the extending spike). For rhipi’s, the basis capituli is laterally produced, but for haemophysalis, it’s the segment cranial to the basis capituli- the second palpal segment.

AC5056CF-B576-4388-BDDF-B5C4A856E84A.png
03748777-D46E-4229-B5CF-3877C4B2101A.jpeg

Good question! It depends which segment is laterally produced (the extending spike). For rhipi’s, the basis capituli is laterally produced, but for haemophysalis, it’s the segment cranial to the basis capituli- the second palpal segment.

View attachment 239913 View attachment 239914
Hi thanks this is the rave thread no more parasit-lingo pls :barf:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
why are these going to be a nightmare??
Nightmare may have just been my description for it. But they aren’t really host specific, in Asia/ Australia they transmit a plethora of bad stuff, they aren’t affected by the climate, and within 8 months they’ve traveled up and down the eastern seaboard all the way to Arkansas.

I read a cool article from The NY Times about it! An Invasive New Tick Is Spreading in the U.S.

I also really really hate parasites in general. Especially ticks.

It's been about a week and, even already, I feel like a completely, utterly different person and I have so much more energy. I've been drawing and writing and studying my languages and I don't have to think about these things; I just do them. I actually get excited and happy about things now. I don't have a mini-breakdown when small things happen anymore or freak myself out trying to decide what to make for dinner.

Drugs are amazing, holy crap.

So, so, so glad to hear it.

Oh yeah! Rhipis are the darth vader ones!

I'm not even in vet school yet and I feel like this is just something I'm going to remember for the rest of my life now. lol

Reactions: 1 user
Got my first grown-up job paycheck yesterday. Great to finally have some cash flow after not getting paid since July!

Reactions: 18 users
last night, as we were walking from checking the neighbor's house (they are gone for a few days, so we go over and water plants and stuff) it was just dark...still a bit of color from sunset. I look up, and see an owl flying towards us...about 10 feet high. Kept an eye on my little dog, just in case...but he flew right over us. Then landed in the across the street's ditch...think he was going after either bunny or snake. It was just so cool...it seemed as if I could just reach up and touch him when he was overhead.

Reactions: 3 users
last night, as we were walking from checking the neighbor's house (they are gone for a few days, so we go over and water plants and stuff) it was just dark...still a bit of color from sunset. I look up, and see an owl flying towards us...about 10 feet high. Kept an eye on my little dog, just in case...but he flew right over us. Then landed in the across the street's ditch...think he was going after either bunny or snake. It was just so cool...it seemed as if I could just reach up and touch him when he was overhead.
That's so cool! I spend a lot of time on the highway between here and home, and one of the coolest moments was an after-dark trip when a snowy owl swooped through my headlights quite close to my car.

One of the least cool moments was another after-dark trip when a set of deer legs galloped through my headlights, also quite close. I had to pull over until I stopped shaking after that one!

So I have officially added AirBnB hosting to my list of side hustles.... I just had my first guests leave and they were darling :joyful:

Reactions: 5 users
It's been far too long for a rave post, I had to use the search to find the thread!

Here to say I think I passed my 1 hour glucose test, so hopefully no 3 hour test for gestational diabetes for me!

Reactions: 9 users
It's been far too long for a rave post, I had to use the search to find the thread!

Here to say I think I passed my 1 hour glucose test, so hopefully no 3 hour test for gestational diabetes for me!
Wow I know someone else irl who had her glucose test today too WHAT ARE THE CHANCES

Congrats! :highfive: the 3 hour one sucked way back in the day when I had to do it...but they did it as a series, then. You did the 1 hour one, then came back the next day for the 3 hour one. then they told you if you passed or failed them.

I didn't think I would be able to post in this particular thread so soon after losing my sister.

Today started out low and was just spiralling down to the point where I felt I needed to escape from the building. But joking with my lab group helped some, and then an old dissection partner gave me her last slutty cupcake and I just about cried in the classroom with how thankful I was for it. It was so needed in that moment.

The little things bring so much joy right now that I can't describe it. I love my class so much with how supportive they are.

Reactions: 19 users
Similar to bats' post.... I've been struggling with some medical stuff that has me scared and stressed. Yesterday, someone who cares forced me to eat a muffin when my appetite was MIA. It's weird what the subconscious will decide is important sometimes, but that meant the world!

Reactions: 4 users
Yesterday was the 1st anniversary of my last day of treatment for my cancer. My old team lead arranged a party of my coworkers---she brought cupcakes, and allowed me to make my "go get a mammogram" speech. Then I sat in my office and cried. I am surrounded by good people...which I sometimes forget when the not so good ones ruin my day. You guys have been wonderful, also!!

Reactions: 15 users
Been gone a while but I made a ton of life changes recently.

I finally, after 2 years, left my toxic job as a manager at the dog boarding/daycare center, the last two weeks there really justified why I needed to leave.

I have been working at vet clinic closer to home( one that does exotics, reproduction, acupuncture and chiropractics! Which is right up my alley because I love helping with all of it!:X3::X3:) as a kennel tech/ vet assistant for the past five months and it’s like a breath of fresh air y’all!

They are teaching me everything I want to know and more, we get quarterly coaching, we get to make goals on things we want to get better on and we get a company trip if we hit our clinic goal. the dr’s and staff help each other and live by the motto “no one is above doing a small task or helping when needed” plus they want me to be the kennel manager and eventually move into tech training to help more in surgery/ do tech appointments (another bonus so I can get to work on my client communication skills).

I’ve also taken back up indoor cycling, yoga, and hiking again. I realized how depressed my old job was making me (during the transition to the new job I lost my girl rogue who I had since highschool) and that I stopped exercising and my hobbies ( painting, knitting and crocheting) because I was mentally and physically drained.

I’m finally in a space where I’m back to being me and I feel like I’m important and confident in the work I’m doing :love: I also got Aussie puppy and we are inseparable and she has for sure helped me clear the negative energy I had.

Sorry this is so long so much has happened since May.

Reactions: 14 users
Been gone a while but I made a ton of life changes recently.

I finally, after 2 years, left my toxic job as a manager at the dog boarding/daycare center, the last two weeks there really justified why I needed to leave.

I have been working at vet clinic closer to home( one that does exotics, reproduction, acupuncture and chiropractics! Which is right up my alley because I love helping with all of it!:X3::X3:) as a kennel tech/ vet assistant for the past five months and it’s like a breath of fresh air y’all!

They are teaching me everything I want to know and more, we get quarterly coaching, we get to make goals on things we want to get better on and we get a company trip if we hit our clinic goal. the dr’s and staff help each other and live by the motto “no one is above doing a small task or helping when needed” plus they want me to be the kennel manager and eventually move into tech training to help more in surgery/ do tech appointments (another bonus so I can get to work on my client communication skills).

I’ve also taken back up indoor cycling, yoga, and hiking again. I realized how depressed my old job was making me (during the transition to the new job I lost my girl rogue who I had since highschool) and that I stopped exercising and my hobbies ( painting, knitting and crocheting) because I was mentally and physically drained.

I’m finally in a space where I’m back to being me and I feel like I’m important and confident in the work I’m doing :love: I also got Aussie puppy and we are inseparable and she has for sure helped me clear the negative energy I had.

Sorry this is so long so much has happened since May.
Congrats Roz!

I didn't think I would be able to post in this particular thread so soon after losing my sister.

Today started out low and was just spiralling down to the point where I felt I needed to escape from the building. But joking with my lab group helped some, and then an old dissection partner gave me her last slutty cupcake and I just about cried in the classroom with how thankful I was for it. It was so needed in that moment.

The little things bring so much joy right now that I can't describe it. I love my class so much with how supportive they are.
@batsenecal I did not know you had recently lost your sister.

Reaching out and letting you know how sorry I am about your loss!

( ( ( batsenecal ) ) )

I’m glad everything is going better for you now!!!!!

But like
This post is useless without pictures.

These are from her 3 month old picture day

Attachments

• E1613477-8113-4870-87EC-D5B526509EBC.jpeg
    E1613477-8113-4870-87EC-D5B526509EBC.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 79
  • FCBE9303-BD0A-43A7-9ED0-CD43BF711879.jpeg
    FCBE9303-BD0A-43A7-9ED0-CD43BF711879.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: 7 users
I've decided to enter into the reptile pet world... Meet Mushu (Giant Madagascar Day Gecko). He was so lively yesterday.

Attachments

• Gecko 1.jpeg
    Gecko 1.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 91
  • gecko 2.jpeg
    gecko 2.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Gecko 3.jpeg
    Gecko 3.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 8 users
1) Freaking gorgeous and adorable!!!

2) Do you mind if I use the second picture for my therapeutic painting/drawing?

And spoiled rotten!

I don’t mind at all bats draw away :)