RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, congratulations! I’m glad to hear it! :) I’ve been thinking about you a bunch since your post in my thread.

Best of luck with the interview!

Thanks!! I really appreciate your post and I'm glad things are starting to look up for you as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Slightly ****oo but sweet and trusting exotics owners are a major reason I'm happy in GP. Man. I love them. And the cute sugar glider whose leg I'm amputating next week is actually a super sweet representative of its kind.

I should probably figure out how to do the amputation though. Missed that class in vet school. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Slightly ****oo but sweet and trusting exotics owners are a major reason I'm happy in GP. Man. I love them. And the cute sugar glider whose leg I'm amputating next week is actually a super sweet representative of its kind.

I should probably figure out how to do the amputation though. Missed that class in vet school. :laugh:
I'm not sure they taught us amputations yet :thinking: maybe clinics?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a bit facetious. I'm pretty sure we never discussed sugar glider limb amputations. I'm sure we talked about dogs and cats... sometime... probably.
Yeah I figured that part, but I was honestly wondering about the dogs and cats amputations because those are fairly common.

Reactions: 1 users
It was a bit facetious. I'm pretty sure we never discussed sugar glider limb amputations. I'm sure we talked about dogs and cats... sometime... probably.
OKstate has a great wet lab they put on every year for amps. I got more practice during shelter rotation. Got one done in practice so far. I feel like they are super satisfying. I love that last cut and the entire limb is off. I imagine a sugar glider is a swoop of the blade and off. hehe

OKstate has a great wet lab they put on every year for amps. I got more practice during shelter rotation. Got one done in practice so far. I feel like they are super satisfying. I love that last cut and the entire limb is off. I imagine a sugar glider is a swoop of the blade and off. hehe
I have no concerns about the actual amputation bit, I'm honestly just trying to decide wtf I do with the patagium.

Clinician's Brief has a great forelimb amp article, and Fossum is also pretty useful for both. I also like amputations a fair bit. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I have no concerns about the actual amputation bit, I'm honestly just trying to decide wtf I do with the patagium.

Clinician's Brief has a great forelimb amp article, and Fossum is also pretty useful for both. i also like amputations a fair bit. :laugh:
yeah, I guess they'll have a bit of a hole from that limb. Imagine that will turn them kamikaze with a hole in one side. haha

Meanwhile here they have us whip limbs off cadavers left and right. Our very second surgical skills lab ever they were like "Okay, forelimb amputation, aaaand go!" and we were like "...Our last lab was teaching us how to hold the instruments correctly though...????" :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Meanwhile here they have us whip limbs off cadavers left and right. Our very second surgical skills lab ever they were like "Okay, forelimb amputation, aaaand go!" and we were like "...Our last lab was teaching us how to hold the instruments correctly though...????" :laugh:
Honestly they're very straightforward surgeries and I totally get teaching them early. They're basically an anatomy review!

As taught to me by an ER clinician:

Tie the pumper. Tie the other pumper. Bone saw. Profit!!

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
totally OT but I bought a concert ticket for $35 a few months ago and am no longer able to attend. I listed it to sell on ticketmaster for $75 and it sold! I get $64 of that, so I make a bit of profit! it's the little things.

also, it still hasn't really hit me that I will be a vet student this fall? at what point do I start believing it? lol

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
totally OT but I bought a concert ticket for $35 a few months ago and am no longer able to attend. I listed it to sell on ticketmaster for $75 and it sold! I get $64 of that, so I make a bit of profit! it's the little things.

also, it still hasn't really hit me that I will be a vet student this fall? at what point do I start believing it? lol

half way through second year...it takes you that long to stop and catch your breath and have time to think about it lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
For me it was when I participated in a wellness clinic and got to basically be the doctor for the appointment. As a technician you’re going into an exam room, getting a history from a client, and then passing everything off to the doctor for the actual exam, decision making, etc. At this clinic I took the history and got to the end of my usual spiel and had this moment of “oh ****... I’M doing the next part.” I did the exam, made my recommendations to the client, discussed concerns with them, and finished up the appointment. I realized that, unless I work as a tech for summer money or something, this is how the dynamic is going to be for the rest of my career.

The other thing that made it feel real was doing a communications lab the other week with client actors. You work on different aspects of client communication and get feedback on what you did well and what to improve. My biggest issue was that I wasn’t talking enough about what the client and I would be doing together, but just about what the client could do by herself at home. I’m used to speaking that way as a technician since the whole “this is what we’re going to do together” is more of a doctor-client thing. That really hit me as well.

Made a huge long list of equine practices to call to ask about shadowing for a day, fully expecting to have to run through the whole list... called the very first one and they're having me come in this Thursday!! Extra surprised since they normally only have shadows on Fridays but she made an exception for me!! :soexcited:

• Love
Made a huge long list of equine practices to call to ask about shadowing for a day, fully expecting to have to run through the whole list... called the very first one and they're having me come in this Thursday!! Extra surprised since they normally only have shadows on Fridays but she made an exception for me!! :soexcited:
Follow-up: I had an awesome time!!!! Everyone was incredibly nice and super enthusiastic teachers and I got to see and help out with some really cool things!! I’ve honestly always written off equine med for having a terrible work-life balance, but today made me put it back on my list- I know it’s not even remotely the norm, and I wouldn’t want to do equine if it wasn’t a practice like this one, but all the staff only work 4 days a week, the doctors alternate on-call duty, and it’s a much more sustainable work environment all around. Excited to go back!!

Reactions: 10 users
Got an archaeologist interview ( in five minutes)!! Finally! I'm freaking nervous but so ready to move forward.

So a little update for anyone that is curious:

Things have been all over the place. First, I was offered the position I interviewed, but had to turn it down because I would be gone 8 days and then home only for 6 days for 5-6 months. I couldn't find someone to watch my child during those times while my husband works his nights and really long shifts and I didn't think my husband could handle me being away while working a ton and taking care of a toddler with no family in the area to lend a hand.

I was then rejected from a PhD program I applied to in anthropology-archaeology track, but was offered a place in their master's program. The program is really good. I honestly did not think I had a chance and had applied to several back-up schools (which rejected me) for this reason. Unfortunately, it is in a very high cost area and I won't find out about funding until March so if I choose to do the degree, I may have to pay out-of-state tuition which sucks.

Late last week, an academic lab called wanting to interview me. The lab is based in a place my husband and I have always talked about moving to and I had applied to the position just to test the waters and see if I got any hits from that area. They wanted me to basically come down to the lab this week and start working right away after talking on the phone and talking to my references. So that was neat.

Then today, I was called for an interview doing an archaeological dig for the summer in a place that is very close to my home. They will not get back to me until next week about whether or not I get the position, but I felt the interview went very well.

THEN (as there wasn't enough to choose from) tonight as I was fighting to get my toddler in the bath, the vet I take my pets to called me offering me the office manager position at the clinic. I've had a lot of talk shop with them during my almost bi-weekly visits (old man dog with constant skin issues and a new puppy and kitten on top of that) so they know about my background. The vet said she was always very impressed with me and liked me and the staff always really liked me too and thought I would be a good fit for the position.

So after just a few months ago of despairing about dropping out of vet school and feeling extremely lost in life, all this stuff happened. In like a week. I am in complete shock. Now I have to do the hard part and figure out what the hell I want to do and hope it isn't the wrong choice for me and my family.

Reactions: 15 users
So a little update for anyone that is curious:

Things have been all over the place. First, I was offered the position I interviewed, but had to turn it down because I would be gone 8 days and then home only for 6 days for 5-6 months. I couldn't find someone to watch my child during those times while my husband works his nights and really long shifts and I didn't think my husband could handle me being away while working a ton and taking care of a toddler with no family in the area to lend a hand.

I was then rejected from a PhD program I applied to in anthropology-archaeology track, but was offered a place in their master's program. The program is really good. I honestly did not think I had a chance and had applied to several back-up schools (which rejected me) for this reason. Unfortunately, it is in a very high cost area and I won't find out about funding until March so if I choose to do the degree, I may have to pay out-of-state tuition which sucks.

Late last week, an academic lab called wanting to interview me. The lab is based in a place my husband and I have always talked about moving to and I had applied to the position just to test the waters and see if I got any hits from that area. They wanted me to basically come down to the lab this week and start working right away after talking on the phone and talking to my references. So that was neat.

Then today, I was called for an interview doing an archaeological dig for the summer in a place that is very close to my home. They will not get back to me until next week about whether or not I get the position, but I felt the interview went very well.

THEN (as there wasn't enough to choose from) tonight as I was fighting to get my toddler in the bath, the vet I take my pets to called me offering me the office manager position at the clinic. I've had a lot of talk shop with them during my almost bi-weekly visits (old man dog with constant skin issues and a new puppy and kitten on top of that) so they know about my background. The vet said she was always very impressed with me and liked me and the staff always really liked me too and thought I would be a good fit for the position.

So after just a few months ago of despairing about dropping out of vet school and feeling extremely lost in life, all this stuff happened. In like a week. I am in complete shock. Now I have to do the hard part and figure out what the hell I want to do and hope it isn't the wrong choice for me and my family.

Sometimes life takes a while to figure itself out, but it sounds like you have a lot of exciting opportunities coming your way! :)

Reactions: 4 users
We've bought a house, ya'll :biglove: (well, not yet, but we accepted the counter-offer!) Sadly not the one I had mentioned earlier with the 160 acres... that one fell through unfortunately. But this place has a lovely 28 acres, 3 possible barn buildings on it, and a pretty cute house. Ponies will have lots of land to play on and roam around on!

And even better... my dad agreed that this year would probably be a good time for me to buy a weanling or a yearling... so I might be getting a baby horsey soon(ish) :soexcited: I don't know if that means he expects me to pay for said baby myself or not, but I'll deal with that later :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
We've bought a house, ya'll :biglove: (well, not yet, but we accepted the counter-offer!) Sadly not the one I had mentioned earlier with the 160 acres... that one fell through unfortunately. But this place has a lovely 28 acres, 3 possible barn buildings on it, and a pretty cute house. Ponies will have lots of land to play on and roam around on!

And even better... my dad agreed that this year would probably be a good time for me to buy a weanling or a yearling... so I might be getting a baby horsey soon(ish) :soexcited: I don't know if that means he expects me to pay for said baby myself or not, but I'll deal with that later :laugh:
A baby!!!!!

Omg I can’t wait for all the pictures

Reactions: 2 users
Just did my first euthanasia simulation lab tonight and it went so much better than I expected. I thought I was going to vomit before I went into the room, but the moment I opened the door and saw the “client/patient” (actress + stuff animal), a lot of my nerves went away once I started talking and comforting the “client.” I guess I realized that a lot of the small things I panic about (awkward silences, stumbling over a few sentences explaining the process, etc.) doesn’t really matter in the long scheme since owners will be more focused on their pets than anything else really. It’s all in our head folks. Kinda bummed that we don’t really have any other opportunities for pet loss and grief exposure here, but nonetheless I’m glad I went to this lab and will definitely be doing it against in the future.

Reactions: 13 users
I got to see the results of a porcupine CT scan today and the best part was seeing its wee cute little nose and toes on imaging :love:

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Eeeee I'm so excited I just found out I was accepted to the Boehringer Ingelheim Summer program. I'm beyond stoked and was not expecting this!!

(also I'm even more stoked the BI NIH conference appears to be in San Diego this year)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
We bought an acreage :biglove: Older house, a bit of a drive to the university, but 28 acres for the horses and 3 nice outbuildings on the property that can be used for stalls/hay storage/whatever. It's also literally a stone's throw from the nearest small town, so we're not even in the "middle of nowhere" even though we're pretty in the middle of nowhere lol. *poof* (don't quote cause I'll probably delete later so ya'll can't stalk me :laugh:).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
We bought an acreage :biglove: Older house, a bit of a drive to the university, but 28 acres for the horses and 3 nice outbuildings on the property that can be used for stalls/hay storage/whatever. It's also literally a stone's throw from the nearest small town, so we're not even in the "middle of nowhere" even though we're pretty in the middle of nowhere lol. Some pics (don't quote cause I'll probably delete later so ya'll can't stalk me :laugh:).
Too late already stalked I’ll be at your front door tomorrow to pet ponies
It’s super cute!!!!! Congrats!!!
Don’t worry I deleted the hyperlink

• Love
Too late already stalked I’ll be at your front door tomorrow to pet ponies
It’s super cute!!!!! Congrats!!!
Don’t worry I deleted the hyperlink

The ponies would appreciate that, especially if you brought them snacks :laugh: Thanks <3

• Love
I am really happy that I work with a tech who worked ER before and picked up some of the gallows humor that develops as a coping mechanism because I can tell her a really dark joke after the third euthanasia of the day, and then we can't stop laughing for the rest of the afternoon. Makes it easier to go into those happy puppy/kitten appointments.

I'm leasing a new car!!!!! I've never had a brand new car before, always hand me downs. AND I didn't need a cosigner. does that make me a real grown up???

It's a black 2020 Hyundai Tucson. A major upgrade from my 2006 Grand Cherokee for sure :) I couldn't even believe how much comes standard on new vehicles. Like, backup cameras are required now!!!! I thought that was such a luxury.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm leasing a new car!!!!! I've never had a brand new car before, always hand me downs. AND I didn't need a cosigner. does that make me a real grown up???

It's a black 2020 Hyundai Tucson. A major upgrade from my 2006 Grand Cherokee for sure :) I couldn't even believe how much comes standard on new vehicles. Like, backup cameras are required now!!!! I thought that was such a luxury.

I bought a new Hyundai a little over a year ago and agree with being surprised with how much you get...I love my Hyundai so much. Back-up cameras are awesome, blind-spot detection is great, and I love the Apple Car Connect.

I had a Nissan rental a month ago that was theoretically a little nicer car than mine and I couldnt wait to get my car back!

Congrats on your new car!

Reactions: 6 users
With everything going on, I’ve had a pretty great week...

On Monday I got accepted at a paid summer internship where I will be rehabilitating wildlife! (so excited for the bottle babies!!!!)

Tonight I found out I was accepted to Michigan State’s CVM summer program!!! It’s an all inclusive 3 week program where they only accept 12 people in the state!!! I was pretty bummed when I wasn’t accepted to the school for the fall but I’m happy for the opportunity to add to my experience and strengthen my application for the next cycle! I’m so excited and happy for everything the summer will bring!

that’s all! Hope everyone is as well and happy as I am :love:

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

On Monday I got accepted at a paid summer internship where I will be rehabilitating wildlife! (so excited for the bottle babies!!!!)

Tonight I found out I was accepted to Michigan State’s CVM summer program!!! It’s an all inclusive 3 week program where they only accept 12 people in the state!!! I was pretty bummed when I wasn’t accepted to the school for the fall but I’m happy for the opportunity to add to my experience and strengthen my application for the next cycle! I’m so excited and happy for everything the summer will bring!

@SkiOtter @finnickthedog thought I would tag you guys bc I know you both have some tips along the way :happy:

• Love

So proud of you!!!! :biglove:

• Love