RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I once got second in a spelling bee because I misspelled "veterinarian" :lame:
Oof.

I got kicked out of a spelling bee in high school because I misspelled "banana".

We are all going to be vets regardless. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Previously they were only open to essential services (lost & found, animal control, end-of-life services) since they're a municipal shelter for the entire county. They had moved almost all of their animals into foster homes. So this is a huge step IMO.
Yeah ours is also the stray shelter for the county and cruelty/rescue but that’s good that it’s a big step for them!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw a huge beaver swimming behind my house!!! (May have been a river otter, but it was really bulky in the water and was alone)

And last week I saw an ermine successfully hunt for its dinner about 6 feet in front of me in my backyard

Should make a Mammal Watch bingo card for this year...

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I just saw a huge beaver swimming behind my house!!! (May have been a river otter, but it was really bulky in the water and was alone)

And last week I saw an ermine successfully hunt for its dinner about 6 feet in front of me in my backyard

I love mammal "hunting". I've been on a quest to see all of the large ungulates of CO and I've seen all of them that are feasible to see (I am not climbing to the elevations or cliff faces necessary to see mountain goats). I've also got a good number of the rodents under my belt too, but people are less excited to hear about those :p

I am big on herpetology and mediocre at birding too, but I was gently steered away from searching for reptiles as a child since everywhere I lived had so many venomous ones, so I don't do it as much.

Reactions: 3 users
One of my friends here in my new town is an ecologist and she birds by ear. It’s super cool but is crazy to me that she can just be walking along then stop and be like “there’s a blahdeblahblah over there”.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
One of my friends here in my new town is an ecologist and she birds by ear. It’s super cool but is crazy to me that she can just be walking along then stop and be like “there’s a blahdeblahblah over there”.

I did a research project on birdsong in my undergrad and even now, almost 10 years later there are still some songs permanently engraved in my head

Got my greyhound's flexor tenotomy scheduled today! And she is going to a dental while he is anesthetized! The surgeon is letting me assist. I am super happy he will finally get some relief :D

I came home to a turkey in the backyard the other day. My husband was beside himself :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't super related, but @Doctor-S what does the Rocket Scientist tag under your icon signify? I've seen it around SDN a few teams and always meant to ask
It means someone also has an undergraduate or graduate degree in physics or engineering. Before the "Rocket Scientist" tag is added to your name, the SDN moderators require you to successfully solve a complex physics/aeronautical engineering problem.

I was told the "Rocket Scientist" tag had something to do with a discussion in SDN a long time ago about "which is more difficult: brain surgery or rocket science?"

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I came home a month-ish ago to an injured dog. Hopping on 3 legs. Did my own exam before taking her to the vet, and we disagreed on what the problem was. Treatment for the two is the same, so we did that. Yesterday was her recheck, and the doc made a point of congratulating me for getting the right diagnosis :D

Reactions: 5 users
UPDATE about HAPPY NEWS!

Here is a recent photo of Mom-Cat feeding her 5 new kittens.

These kittens were born 4 days ago in the home of a foster parent who is a regular volunteer with my pet rescue/adop[tion group.

Mom-Cat's wide-eyed expression is priceless! :cat:

Mom and Kittens.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
I’ve reached the point in my life where one computer screen isn’t enough...I was thinking about investing in another screen to connect to my MacBook...my brother suggested an app that would let me screen extend my MacBook to the iPad I already have. Maybe the best $10 I’ve ever spent and already making my life soooooo much easier.

I’ve reached the point in my life where one computer screen isn’t enough...I was thinking about investing in another screen to connect to my MacBook...my brother suggested an app that would let me screen extend my MacBook to the iPad I already have. Maybe the best $10 I’ve ever spent and already making my life soooooo much easier.

I can't wait to have a sick multi-monitor radiology set up in the future haha

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Can't really do anything in lab right now, but was notified yesterday that I was awarded an NIH training grant, and it might have been the only thing to make me genuinely smile this week.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Chomped on cold medium rare excellent cut of steak for dinner tonight with some asparagus. This is my happy place. Night cap is Bengal Spice tea with plenty of honey and whiskey for extra oomph to help with the downpour and wind. Good stuff.

Reactions: 9 users
Roughly 2-3 years ago I received a letter regarding an airbag settlement claim that was inclusive of my car model. I filled it out online and proceeded to completely forget about it until I received a check in the mail this weekend. It was for less than half of what I remember the amount being, but I also believe I recall there being wording that the full amount would be dispersed among people that actually had airbag problems, and if there was anything remaining it'd go to everyone else. Nonetheless, hey free money.

Roughly 2-3 years ago I received a letter regarding an airbag settlement claim that was inclusive of my car model. I filled it out online and proceeded to completely forget about it until I received a check in the mail this weekend. It was for less than half of what I remember the amount being, but I also believe I recall there being wording that the full amount would be dispersed among people that actually had airbag problems, and if there was anything remaining it'd go to everyone else. Nonetheless, hey free money.

My mom one got back a check from a class action lawsuit like this..... for $0.10 :rofl:

yeah. I think I got 70 cents once from something or other. Pretty sure it ended up shredded as playtoy for kitten. haha

Made it to another day off after a long day full of surgery yesterday since we are trying to do more surgeries in one day rather than a few every day. So far everyone is doing well, so keeping fingers crossed they recover and have improved lives. One was the sweetest cat that had a horrid foot infection that was outta control. O didn't have money, but thankfully our clinic has its own fund that we can pull from for these kinds of things. It comes from our kitten adoptions every spring. Second case I've used it for as you may recall, my other time was also a leg amp for a doggo. She went on to do fabulous, so here's hoping.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
have I mentioned that i am SO BEYOND GRATEFUL not to have to go through another application cycle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
This is my first full day back in my home after a loooooong week at my Level 1 AMC.

I miss my SDN friends - all of you.

You are my beacon of normalcy right now ... and I appreciate each one of you! Hope you know that. :love:

I am spending quality time with my cat who is going to get lots of love and attention today.

Lots of LOVE ... and lots of attention ... and lots more LOVE all over again! :love:

Today Now Cat 1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
This is my first full day back in my home after a loooooong week at my Level 1 AMC.

I miss my SDN friends - all of you.

You are my beacon of normalcy right now ... and I appreciate each one of you! Hope you know that. :love:

I am spending quality time with my cat who is going to get lots of love and attention today.

Lots of LOVE ... and lots of attention ... and lots more LOVE all over again! :love:

View attachment 302993

Thankful for you and all you do, Doc S. Get some good rest and stay safe out there.:biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
I just got off the phone with my grandma who lives by herself and she told me that there is part of her condo she has designated the “she cave” :laugh: She noted that while she could have called it the woman cave, “there’s -man in there and who needs that??”:laugh:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
The Earth Day Google Doodle has the cutest bee pollination game at the end!

I am so thankful to work with an amazing group of people who always do what they can to keep each other's spirits lifted in such an uncertain time. We played nearly two hours' worth of Cards Against Humanity during lunch today and it was the highlight of what's been a very dark and frustrating couple of weeks here.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Applied for another job today. Starting to be more hopeful that I won't be unemployed (at least for too long) after I finish my residency. Also my husband and I decided we are going to move back to Minnesota no matter what happens so at least we can be closer to family and most of our friends. Started packing some boxes and it just feels better to have a plan in place :)

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Rave: I was the very first person to run a successful COVID-19 rapid PCR test using the fancy new machine we got!

Rant: ...it was positive. And we didn't have quite the right kind of PPE on hand. Welp.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Rave: I was the very first person to run a successful COVID-19 rapid PCR test using the fancy new machine we got!

Rant: ...it was positive. And we didn't have quite the right kind of PPE on hand. Welp.
I need a :/ react

• Hmm
It's supposed to be an art contest but is really more of a creative contest. An entry from a previous year, for example, was a nephron board game. Well, I'm not much of an artist, so I did a song.

That's amazing hahah I love kidneys!

It's supposed to be an art contest but is really more of a creative contest. An entry from a previous year, for example, was a nephron board game. Well, I'm not much of an artist, so I did a song.

I think we’re gonna need to see this

That's amazing hahah I love kidneys!

There’s an internist at my school that is so crazy about nephrology that I automatically thought of her when I saw this...then I discovered she’s one of the people heading it up lolol

There’s an internist at my school that is so crazy about nephrology that I automatically thought of her when I saw this...then I discovered she’s one of the people heading it up lolol

Pretty sure I know exactly who you're talking about ;) I did my rotating internship at your school haha. And I thought of her as well!

• Haha
Pretty sure I know exactly who you're talking about ;) I did my rotating internship at your school haha. And I thought of her as well!

Oh then you definitely do haha

Though, in general, a couple of them are into kidneys lol

Last edited:
Queen of the Nephron

Lolz, she was one of my faves! I miss her and the candy she'd put in the little treasure chest haha that was soooo nice on overnights. Although I liked all the internists there.