RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lolz, she was one of my faves! I miss her and the candy she'd put in the little treasure chest haha that was soooo nice on overnights. Although I liked all the internists there.

She's pretty funny. She used to make these videos during second year to explain topics and she'd always include a very random piece of fruit in very video lol.

I love all out internists. They're pretty great.

Reactions: 1 user
Fair, but sad face.
I can share the lyrics tho?! (this is just part of them)
I hope you can figure out the tune ;)
BTW, the prize was 2nd place

Sodium, if you're feeling down
I said, sodium, you gotta look around
I said, sodium, you're in a nephron
There's no need to be unhappy
Sodium, there's a place you can go
I said, sodium, when you're levels are low
You can take a ride there, and I'm sure you will find
Life is better out of circulation
Blood is filtered in the glomerulus
Blood is filtered in the glomerulus
Podocytes open the door to a magical world
You can hang out with all the other ions
Small solutes hang inside Bowman's Capsule
Small solutes hang inside Bowman's Capsule
There's no osmotic pressure, no proteins to fear
You can do what ever you feel

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be done with my MPH in less than a week! Not necessarily the biggest accomplishment, but with everything going on in the world right now it’s nice to have a win.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I will be done with my MPH in less than a week! Not necessarily the biggest accomplishment, but with everything going on in the world right now it’s nice to have a win.

dont undersell it, that’s a huge accomplishment! Congrats:)

Had a weird monkey case that could probably benefit from some intense PT but was kind of at a loss for what exactly to do when I remembered that one of my closest friends just graduated PT school last year. I called her up and she gave me so many good ideas and was really excited talking about the case, how it is similar to some things she's seen in human patients, and what kinds of therapy options may help. Since the pandemic she has been reallocated in her hospital working as patient transport / CNA primarily with COVID19 patients so she was super excited to actually be able to use her professional knowledge. My coworkers and I have been working with this animal for weeks now so I was super excited to get some good new ideas for how to help her. All in all it just was a really feel good moment all around and I'm excited to go to work tomorrow and share with my coworkers.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
A singing stuffed giraffe toy broke at my sister's house today, and apparently my 3 yr old niece said "mommy, giraffey is SICK! we need to call pippy! she can save it!"

So I did a telemedicine consult :rofl:

(We've localized the lesion to the left recurrent laryngeal nerve and made a presumptive diagnosis of idiopathic recurrent laryngeal neuropathy; recommend a tie-back but advised client the long term prognosis is guarded to poor d/t progressive nature and risk of aspiration)

Almost a real doctor! :D

@StayingPositive2017 because toddlers are funny

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users
I got to change a kitten's gender today! Owners named "her" a very male name to go with her older sister who has a male nickname that goes with the very male name but is definitely a girl. So they didn't even have to change the name! Saved that kitten from an identity crisis and a lifetime of explanations at any future veterinary visits. :cat:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Finallllly submitted the abstract I've been working on forever and got stats back so now I can finishing writing the actual paper. :clap:

now if it could actually be accepted and the conference not canceled, that would be great

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got to change a kitten's gender today! Owners named "her" a very male name to go with her older sister who has a male nickname that goes with the very male name but is definitely a girl. So they didn't even have to change the name! Saved that kitten from an identity crisis and a lifetime of explanations at any future veterinary visits. :cat:
That reminds me of when I was a tech and a new client came in with a cat they had had for a little while. Its name was Boo Boo Kitty. The owner said it was a girl. I do a quick check because this cat looked like a boy, and I ask the owner “are you sure it’s a girl?” She says “I’m a professor of physiology and anatomy. I think I’m right!”

I bring her closer and show her, and am like “so this is a penis...”

• Haha
The officer had originally listed Cheese as a girl when she first brought him in, but I'll give her more of a pass because he was like three weeks old and baby kitties can be really challenging to sex.

Also, his original name was Cream Cheese, which would have worked for either sex but I changed because it was too cute and would have made him too powerful.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I think roughly a third of the rabbit appointments I see I end up changing the sex on. :laugh:

I really enjoyed the (unknowningly neutered) male guinea pig who was listed as female last week, though. Ahh!

Reactions: 4 users
Life is just going super well overall for me right now. And I almost feel bad saying that given that so many others are struggling.

I'm finally making enough to live on my own reasonably well, I started a medication several months ago that is really helping my psychological state and I feel so amazing and confident and right for the first time in forever, I'm getting back into hobbies, I was able to at least get started with PSLF on PAYE with my student loans... and, despite the COVID-19 nonsense, I'm enjoying my job quite a bit. My coworkers accept me for who I am and they're all amazing people.

It's weird to think about the fact that I would have graduated this May. Would I have been as happy if that had panned out? It's really hard to say. I know it's not nearly as much of an accomplishment as getting the DVM would have been, but I'm honestly pretty proud of managing to get myself to a healthy place mentally; when I was first dismissed from vet school, I didn't think I'd survive that very day, let alone 2+ years from then.

Life's definitely not perfect---I'm still lonely and weigh quite a bit more than I should, haha---but they're much better than I could have thought them possible of being during my darkest days. Things can and will get better given time... but that's just it: you have to give them the time to get better.
When I've heard you describe your job, I've always thought it sounds super cool and been a little envious haha. I remember it seemed you weren't so sure of it at first but I'm glad to hear you're enjoying so much now. I think that's the most important thing for anyone in their life time - not to get the highest degree they can but to love their job.

reviewer comments lol.

enough said ;)

not putting this in the rant here thread because i'm mostly just amused lol

Reactions: 1 users
reviewer comments lol.

enough said ;)

not putting this in the rant here thread because i'm mostly just amused lol
I swear half of reviewers are like "Didn't like this word, article rejected until it's fixed"

Similarly, I also had a reviewer who specifically mentioned how much she liked one vocabulary word we used in the article and asked us not to remove it

• Haha
I swear half of reviewers are like "Didn't like this word, article rejected until it's fixed"

Similarly, I also had a reviewer who specifically mentioned how much she liked one vocabulary word we used in the article and asked us not to remove it

yeah this paper really doesn’t need any major revisions, just some minor things...which is both awesome and a little funny given some of the nit picky word choice comments.

One of the comments was kind of sassy and now I want to know who this reviewer is because I think we would get along haha.

Reactions: 3 users
Things were pretty stressful for a while. I mean school obviously still is. But there were a lot of unknowns. A couple weeks ago I found out that my super cool unique incredible summer clinical/research-related position was cancelled. Suffice it to say, I spiraled pretty hard.

Thanks to some great professional advice and advice/help from friends, I built up the courage to reach out to and apply for anything I could find through the school. That was about two weeks ago and things moved very slowly and I was really starting to lose hope. Not to mention, the more time that passes, the fewer opportunities there could be. Who knows.

A few days ago I learned that I was elected as president for one of the specialty clubs at school. So that was awesome and felt amazing. Over the past two weeks I have spoken with a professor about a research position but nothing seemed to be set in stone yet. This morning after an exam I got an email saying I was accepted to a computer aided learning job I had applied for a couple weeks back. But I really wanted to do research and felt my time would be better spent there. So despite my massive fear of confrontation, I emailed the professor to ask about the position. Sort of to my surprise, he emailed me back almost immediately letting me know that I have the position and that he meant to ask me last night about paperwork and all that.

I’m seriously over the moon. The research isn’t on a topic I’m super familiar with, but it sounds cool and I’m sure I’ll learn a lot from it. Plus it’s compensated, so there’s that. I really can’t believe everything that has happened in only a couple weeks. It’s really been a hell of an apocalypse.

Reactions: 13 users
As I was walking into work a few of the adoptable research beagles were outside playing! So nice to see them outside enjoying the grass and sunshine for once. Of course I got to pet them as well. Pics not allowed, sorry :(! There's one who I think would be a perfect match for Gail but they don't allow people who have been working here for less than a year to adopt :(

• Sad
Congratulations, @ajs513 ! :)
Thank you! I know it absolutely doesn’t work out like this for everyone, but I hope it can serve as a reminder that nothing will get better unless you try. I’ve always been afraid of stepping on toes or being too forward, especially with people who are so high level and accomplished. But they need help, and they were once where we are, so they understand.

Reactions: 6 users
Good news ... my AMC has begun to COVID-19 plateau ... and that's definitely good news for all. :)

In case you're wondering ... we did not take PPE from the vetties. Instead, we made sure the vetties kept PPE for their own patients because their furry patients are as precious as our human patients. It truly was One Health for all, and everyone benefitted from this positive and collaborative team effort. Everyone. :clap:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
Random, but I am bragging on my dog. I think he has the distinction of being the only dog in Minnesota right now who is currently both a blood donor and a feces donor.

Saving lives, Preston. Way to go!

Screenshot_20200428-170414.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Random, but I am bragging on my dog. I think he has the distinction of being the only dog in Minnesota right now who is currently both a blood donor and a feces donor.

Saving lives, Preston. Way to go!

View attachment 306008

OK but that cat in the background makes this picture :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I've been struggling with getting a summer job back home and I'm miserable on the other side of the state. But, just spoke with the manager at an ER vet and sounds like I'll be able to work there, AND if it goes well come back at the holidays :clap:

• Love
Today we had mock negotiation labs where we're pretending to be negotiating our salary as a starting vet. I randomly got the guy who does this for a living and he was (self-admittedly) a complete dick. I managed to get the better of him on several points and ended up with an awesome result. He was thrilled with my performance and told me he wouldn't want to to have to negotiate with me later in life! He said he had no negative things to say about it and I'm just ridiculously pleased with myself. He just makes it more difficult than in real life because it's practice and he wants us to do the best we can, and I had so much fun. He also had great advice for questions to ask in a working interview to help determine the production of a practice. Today was a crappy day otherwise so I was really pleased.

Reactions: 12 users
Today we had mock negotiation labs where we're pretending to be negotiating our salary as a starting vet. I randomly got the guy who does this for a living and he was (self-admittedly) a complete dick. I managed to get the better of him on several points and ended up with an awesome result. He was thrilled with my performance and told me he wouldn't want to to have to negotiate with me later in life! He said he had no negative things to say about it and I'm just ridiculously pleased with myself. He just makes it more difficult than in real life because it's practice and he wants us to do the best we can, and I had so much fun. He also had great advice for questions to ask in a working interview to help determine the production of a practice. Today was a crappy day otherwise so I was really pleased.
You should share your secrets

but can you give specific examples about points you argued against?
Sure!

The numbers were prepped ahead of time. The key here is to do your research. The offer was $103,000 which according to the exit survey of Davis grads the median salary was about $105,500. So I brought that up and asked for 110k. He suggested I consider the original offer. I asked if he would consider original 103k with 20% production with no negative accural. He said that put more of the risk on him and I argued he was ok with giving me the salary originally. He offered 100k plus 23% production. (How he got there was weird talking in circles because I wouldn't take 103k even when he was being a bully)

I asked for paid CE days and 2k in CE allowance. He said there's plenty of free CE. I told him about a specific CE to improve my ultrasound skills that would ultimately bring revenue to the practice. (Texas A&M $2200 three days). He offered half and I accepted.

He offered 5 vacation days I asked for ten based on the recent AAHA survey. He asked what the range was (9-15 based in seniority) he said since I was new grad it should be 9 days. I told him I would take 9. He was momentarily stunned. He briefly broke character to say "nice you got me"

This is all CA based money btw with the high cost of living.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Sure!

The numbers were prepped ahead of time. The key here is to do your research. The offer was $103,000 which according to the exit survey of Davis grads the median salary was about $105,500. So I brought that up and asked for 110k. He suggested I consider the original offer. I asked if he would consider original 103k with 20% production with no negative accural. He said that put more of the risk on him and I argued he was ok with giving me the salary originally. He offered 100k plus 23% production. (How he got there was weird talking in circles because I wouldn't take 103k even when he was being a bully)

I asked for paid CE days and 2k in CE allowance. He said there's plenty of free CE. I told him about a specific CE to improve my ultrasound skills that would ultimately bring revenue to the practice. (Texas A&M $2200 three days). He offered half and I accepted.

He offered 5 vacation days I asked for ten based on the recent AAHA survey. He asked what the range was (9-15 based in seniority) he said since I was new grad it should be 9 days. I told him I would take 9. He was momentarily stunned. He briefly broke character to say "nice you got me"

Wow you really did go prepared
Good job!
And thanks :D

Reactions: 1 users
Since I finished finals yesterday, today marks the start of me floating to all the pharmacies all over the district. Today I went to Suburbia. Coincidentally, I grew up there, so I reserve the right to make fun of it as much as I please.

To put it bluntly, Suburbia is filled with pretentious, bitchy soccer moms and their equally dickish husbands. Also, Suburbia is on the northern end of a county that recently made national news for a café that was open and PACKED FULL for Mother's Day brunch. These are the kinds of patients I was expecting to interact with all day. I was not super thrilled about it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ money talks y'know?

Turns out, the store I was at is just on the edge of Suburbia, next to a town with much more normal people. So the majority of their patients are actually super chill and awesome. A pleasant surprise. And bonus: the pharmacist bought me lunch (she apparently buys all her staff lunch on days she works, which, hey, you do you girl). SCORE. Overall a pleasantly surprising experience, and told the pharmacist to text me if she needs help at all next week.

• Love
Sure!

Good job!

But if he does this for a living, what made him offer $100k + 23% production at that point? He’s essentially offering you more money... At $103 + 20% if you grossed $500k he would only pay you $103k and no bonus. But at $100k + 23% he would pay you $115k. That makes no sense.

Good job!

But if he does this for a living, what made him offer $100k + 23% production at that point? He’s essentially offering you more money... At $103 + 20% if you grossed $500k he would only pay you $103k and no bonus. But at $100k + 23% he would pay you $115k. That makes no sense.
Yes essentially. He was acting like an owner who didn't know production to test if I knew what it was. He challenged me with different numbers to make sure I would pick the correct one. But ultimately it was a conversation about how confident are you that you'll produce? Do you want guaranteed salary or production? I doubt he would offer that number in real life, but as this was an exercise he was able to throw out numbers to see what I knew.

Got a job offer! At one of my top choices and I'm super stoked and so glad things are finally working out.

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

• Love
Reactions: 40 users