Re-applicant advice???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dd128

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, have a bit of a question and wondering what you thought. So I guess this cycle is getting closer and closer to a close. I haven't done too bad with interviews, but have no acceptances. My mcat is low 27, and I'm assuming that is what is holding me back as my gpa is above a 3.9 and I have research and clinical experience. So far I have 3 alternate lists, a post interview rejection, and am still waiting on 2 more schools that I've interviewed at. As more time goes by I'm afraid these are going to turn into waitlists or rejections also. Now I haven't done a great deal to improve my app from last year, other than a research presentation at a conference, and I honestly don't think I'll be able to get down and study well for another mcat again as long as I have the possiblity of getting in this time around from waitlists. So I was wondering what you guys thought about next year just giving a state school that I really liked and am competitive for (avg gpa around 3.5 and mcat 27) an early decision shot? It's one of the schools I interviewed at this year and haven't heard from. Do you think I would have a shot at this without anything new but the research? There just isn't much left for me to improve upon, besides the mcat of course. I may try to get a bit more shadowing in before next year too.

It's just if I go with the one edp school I'll know fairly early and even though I'd be sitting around another year I'd have a good amount of time after finding out about that school to study for the mcat and hopefully give it another shot the following time around. I may be getting ahead of myself, but I feel better at least trying to get a plan together. I'd be happing for any suggestions or feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

How many times have you taken the MCAT. If you improve to a 29 you probably would have a great shot at a bunch of different schools. The difference between a 27 and 29 is huge when compared to say a 29 vs 31. So that is the first thing you could do.

Second, you need to be doing something during your off years. Not doing a whole lot looks lazy and disinterested. The more you do the better. Even if it is not a whole ton of time committed (like volunteering in a hospital once a week) it looks like you have the interest.

Contact the dean of the school. Set up an apt and get your face seen and known. The better you know the admissions people the better you will fare. Ask him or her specifically things you could improve upon. Often you dont even know a weakness in your app.

More volunteer experience never hurts. Doesnt need to be medically related.

Apply to your state school.

...So I was wondering what you guys thought about next year just giving a state school that I really liked and am competitive for (avg gpa around 3.5 and mcat 27) an early decision shot? It's one of the schools I interviewed at this year and haven't heard from. Do you think I would have a shot at this without anything new but the research? There just isn't much left for me to improve upon, besides the mcat of course. I may try to get a bit more shadowing in before next year too.

It's just if I go with the one edp school I'll know fairly early and even though I'd be sitting around another year I'd have a good amount of time after finding out about that school to study for the mcat and hopefully give it another shot the following time around. I may be getting ahead of myself, but I feel better at least trying to get a plan together. I'd be happing for any suggestions or feedback :)
I agree that it is good to start getting a plan together. The easiest thing to work on is the MCAT, and it is good that you are making room for that in your schedule. It sounds like you're keeping on a pretty good path.

I feel differently about EDP. From my experience, the majority of folks who apply EDP are very competitive and they apply EDP so that they get the luxury of locking in one school early. I believe that, in cases like your's, the best way of increasing your chances of acceptance is in applying broadly. Applying later after a EDP rejection will put you behind the eight-ball, on top of your MCAT score.

This is just my opinion with only knowing what you posted. I will say congratulations on getting so many interviews and for getting on those waitlists. You've gone much farther than many other applicants. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that it is good to start getting a plan together. The easiest thing to work on is the MCAT, and it is good that you are making room for that in your schedule. It sounds like you're keeping on a pretty good path.

I feel differently about EDP. From my experience, the majority of folks who apply EDP are very competitive and they apply EDP so that they get the luxury of locking in one school early. I believe that, in cases like your's, the best way of increasing your chances of acceptance is in applying broadly. Applying later after a EDP rejection will put you behind the eight-ball, on top of your MCAT score.

This is just my opinion with only knowing what you posted. I will say congratulations on getting so many interviews and for getting on those waitlists. You've gone much farther than many other applicants. :thumbup:

Thanks, appreciate the encouragement. I am grateful for how far I've been able to go, it's just tough not to get bogged down in the negativity. I sort of get the applying broadly aspect, it's just that I spent so much money this time around it's ridicules and I don't want to do it again with no real improvements on my app. With applying edp to the state school it would cost me virtually nothing except the secondary and gas to an interview. The decision for me is either applying no where at all next year, and just taking the mcat early sometime after the new year to be ready for the next time around, or applying edp to that one school, seeing what happens in the hopes of not having to take the mcat again. If not admitted I'd know by october and still have plenty of time to take the mcat around the same time after the new year. In your experience are edp rejects held at a different standard than people rejected under regular decision?

Let me see if I get your proposed timeline correctly:

2008 - Apply EDP at state school
- Get in, you're golden
- Don't, take MCAT by 2009
2009 - Apply in June on new MCAT score

If this is your plan, then that's fine. In general I don't endorse folks doing throwaway apps, but if it's going to be an off year, and you're prepping to apply broadly in 2009 armed with a better MCAT score, then sure, that's fine.

Let me see if I get your proposed timeline correctly:

2008 - Apply EDP at state school
- Get in, you're golden
- Don't, take MCAT by 2009
2009 - Apply in June on new MCAT score

If this is your plan, then that's fine. In general I don't endorse folks doing throwaway apps, but if it's going to be an off year, and you're prepping to apply broadly in 2009 armed with a better MCAT score, then sure, that's fine.

Yeah that's it. Hopefully it wouldn't be a throwaway app. It's a school I'd have interviewed at this year, and if not accepted I would try to speak with the dean get some input and get some "face time" as instatewaiter said. I'm still really hoping I'll get in this year, and won't need to do any of this though! I appreciate the input :)

Yeah that's it. Hopefully it wouldn't be a throwaway app. It's a school I'd have interviewed at this year, and if not accepted I would try to speak with the dean get some input and get some "face time" as instatewaiter said. I'm still really hoping I'll get in this year, and won't need to do any of this though! I appreciate the input :)
Throwaway may have been too strong a word, but in your position, I would still focus on the MCAT. It is relatively easy to bring up, but you need to focus on it and put in the required amount of time to do so.

Good luck.

Retake the MCAT. Applying again with the same stats makes no sense. Talk to the folks at the state school, but I wouldn't think you would have a shot at EDP with a 27. EDP is only for applicants with average to above average stats. It's really a way for schools to lock in good candidates, not a back door way to get in with lower stats.

I know you don't want to take the MCAT again, but it's your best shot at getting in. Start studying now, take it in June or July and you will be starting med school in 2009. There is no reason someone with your GPA can't get a 30+ with enough practice.