Re-applicant What can I do to improve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCN1a

Sleep at some point
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm sure it's clear who I am to all of the WL schools unless they don't read their updates and don't look at my username and MCAT score but anyways I am currently on 4 WL's (Mayo MN, UCLA, Geisel, and UMN) but, in an effort to prepare for the worst, I am looking into taking a gap year(s) to help my application and then reapplying (so I'll be applying June 2019 if I don't get into medical school) the primary reason for this is finances and it really can't be helped that I'll also have to take the MCAT again due to my first attempt expiring

anyways here are my Stats and experiences (all these are current as I've updated the schools with transcripts and experiences) if you could tell me what I can improve on that'd be great I'll be working either as a clinical research coordinator or Radiologic Intern for these next 2 years pretty much full time to pay for the cost of the application as I have never qualified for FAP

MCAT: taken April 2016 taken while in community college 511 (127/127/127/130) next attempt should have higher scores due to me actually taking genetics and biochemistry.

GPA: its something like a 3.87. SGPA is also 3.87 I think. I have multiple transcripts but I haven't received anything less than an A- since 2011 when I was young and stupider than I am today. graduated from a UC this year but I do not care if I leave CA
First gen college student

Veteran: I served in the US Army earned some awards there as well including: Purple Heart, Army Commendation Medal, and the Army Achievement Medal. deployed to Afghanistan etc.

research: 2 poster presentations with upwards of 1200 hours of research (could have a publication within those 2 years perhaps) worked for a quarter as a clinical research assistant as well.

extracurricular:
lots of clubs and officer positions with more than 1000 hours in student government (3 positions) on a state and local level started a food pantry for the underprivileged students on campus. tutored math physics chemistry etc. I worked as a wound care tech for two quarters at the burn unit of my local hospital for a total of 112 hours, have roughly 40 hours of shadowing experiences. EDIT: I forgot that I also work as an environmental steward and have a few hundred hours doing that but I should probably do more nonclinical volunteering helping others and not just the environment

anyways any feedback you can give this poor soul would be helpful for the future. I humbly thank you please help @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn

I know I need to work on my interview skills and probably up my non clinical volunteering but is there anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I'm stunned. Your application seems amazing, especially with your military service (Thank you!) . You've been waitlisted to top schools, which are so competitive in nature that I wouldn't immediately assume that your 4 WL's are because of any red flags in your interviewing skills/application. Did you apply broadly?

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone!

I am currently on 4 WL's (Mayo MN (my absolute top choice but I'm being realistic here), UCLA, Geisel, and UMN) but, in an effort to prepare for the worst, I am looking into taking a gap year(s) to help my application and then reapplying (so I'll be applying June 2019 if I don't get into medical school) the primary reason for this is finances and it really can't be helped that I'll also have to take the MCAT again due to my first attempt expiring

anyways here are my Stats and experiences if you could tell me what I can improve on that'd be great I'll be working either as a clinical research coordinator or Radiologic Intern for these next 2 years pretty much full time to pay for the cost of the application as I have never qualified for FAP

MCAT: taken April 2016 taken while in community college 511 (127/127/127/130) next attempt should have higher scores due to me actually taking genetics and biochemistry.

GPA: its something like a 3.87. SGPA is also 3.87 I think. I have multiple transcripts but I haven't received anything less than an A- since 2011 when I was young and stupider than I am today. graduated from a UC this year but I do not care if I leave CA

Veteran: I served in the US Army earned some awards there as well including: Purple Heart, Army Commendation Medal, and the Army Achievement Medal. deployed to Afghanistan etc.

research: 2 poster presentations with upwards of 1200 hours of research (could have a publication within those 2 years perhaps) worked for a quarter as a clinical research assistant as well.

extracurricular:
lots of clubs and officer positions with more than 1000 hours in student government (3 positions) on a state and local level started a food pantry for the underprivileged students on campus. tutored math physics chemistry etc. I worked as a wound care tech for two quarters at the burn unit of my local hospital for a total of 112 hours, have roughly 40 hours of shadowing experiences.

anyways any feedback you can give this poor soul would be helpful for the future. I humbly thank you please help @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn

I know I need to work on my interview skills and probably up my non clinical volunteering but is there anything else?
First off, many thanks for your service to our country.

The only thing I can imagine you working on are interview skills. Your application seems impeccable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm stunned. Your application seems amazing, especially with your military service (Thank you!) . You've been waitlisted to top schools, which are so competitive in nature that I wouldn't immediately assume that your 4 WL's are because of any red flags in your interviewing skills/application. Did you apply broadly?
I could only afford to 28 schools this time so next time I’m thinking 50+ my interviewing skills are probably to blame here I practiced with friends and the health professions advising staff at my college but i didn’t see an improvement. I’m thinking if looking for professional help in this one area I think

First off, many thanks for your service to our country.

The only thing I can imagine you working on are interview skills. Your application seems impeccable.
Thanks @Goro Ill work on them

I highly recommend purchasing a mock interview. They’re expensive but it helped reform my entire thought process in how to answer the types of interview questions.

Your application seems awesome I hope you’ll get off one of your waitlists so you won’t have to reapply. I’m guessing a couple points higher on the MCAT will get you tons of interviews too.

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity when were your interviews? I'm on 3 WL and I had one in December and two in February- the two Feb ones seemed to WL everybody unfortunately so maybe that could be the case as well. I hope we get off of them!

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity when were your interviews? I'm on 3 WL and I had one in December and two in February- the two Feb ones seemed to WL everybody unfortunately so maybe that could be the case as well. I hope we get off of them!
my interviews were:

waitlisted:
Mayo MN November 20th
UCLA March 2nd
Dartmouth Jan 4th
UMN Jan 26th

Last edited:
I am stunned that you are on 4 waitlists with no offers. Your MCAT is a bit too low for most of the big boys, even taking military service into account, so that is one place to improve. Some interview feedback would also be useful. Your professional demeanor and military bearing may come off as cold and serious or overly formal. (Do you call female interviewers, Ma'am? Some love that and others will say that the applicant won't be a good fit.)

Reactions: 4 users
I am stunned that you are on 4 waitlists with no offers. Your MCAT is a bit too low for most of the big boys, even taking military service into account, so that is one place to improve. Some interview feedback would also be useful. Your professional demeanor and military bearing may come off as cold and serious or overly formal. (Do you call female interviewers, Ma'am? Some love that and others will say that the applicant won't be a good fit.)
Thanks! @LizzyM. I think the cold demeanor may have done me in. I plan to get interview feedback after the cycle is over for me and to work on it. I can say that I've never called a non-military female Ma'am. I usually say Dr. unless they were a medical student. thanks for your feedback though I will plan on retaking the MCAT and scoring higher (hopefully) and working on interview skills.

Last edited:
Can you post your school list and home state (Cali)? Mayo and UCLA are very competitive, and your MCAT may hold you back; I don't believe UMN is OOS friendly; Geisel is a great fit. Seems like you have a strong application, but try to up the volunteering hours. Do you have any clinical volunteering? Since you took the MCAT not fully prepared (biochem is essential), your retake will give you a great opportunity to get a higher score. Don't squander it by again taking it before you are ready. Good luck! Always liked your avatar by the way.

Can you post your school list and home state (Cali)? Mayo and UCLA are very competitive, and your MCAT may hold you back; I don't believe UMN is OOS friendly; Geisel is a great fit. Seems like you have a strong application, but try to up the volunteering hours. Do you have any nonclinical volunteering? Since you took the MCAT not fully prepared (biochem is essential), your retake will give you a great opportunity to get a higher score. Don't squander it by again taking it before you are ready. Good luck! Always liked your avatar by the way.
Thanks for the reply! my home state is CA and my school ist is below. I think this also held be back a lot as I applied before figuring out that CA is too competitive to rely on any in-state advantage. I plan to apply much more broadly next time as I hope to have the money ready to do so:

Creighton University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern CA
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - AZ Campus
Oregon Health and Science University
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Stanford University School of Medicine
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
University of California San Diego
University of California San Francisco
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Minnesota Medical School-Minneapolis/Duluth
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Harvard
Temple University school of medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind sharing which ones you received interviews from? Also, when did you apply?
applied late June received interviews from:
harvard
mayo mn
mayo az
dartmouth
UMN
UCLA

guess i'm just lucky lol

applied late June received interviews from:
harvard
mayo mn
mayo az
dartmouth
UMN
UCLA

guess i'm just lucky lol

Yeah I'm guessing it might be the MCAT? You never know dude, you can get an acceptance before school starts! I would suggest sending a PM to a couple of the adcoms here to see if it would be a good idea to send an update letter!

While schools will favorably consider your military service, this is not a good school list for someone with a 511. Although the OOS public schools seem to match your stats, Oregon matriculated 32/160 OOS; Vermont 38/119; MN 37/208; CO 65/183; UNC 33/180, UT 28/125, WI 42/174. Mayo, UCSF, UCSD, Harvard, Stanford, UPitt, UMich and UVirginia have average MCATs starting at 517. If necessary, next time apply to more OOS private schools with MCATs within 5 points of what you score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
While schools will favorably take into account your military service, this is not a good school list for someone with a 511. Although the OOS public schools seem to match your stats, Oregon matriculated 32/160 OOS; Vermont 38/119; MN 37/208; CO 65/183; UNC 33/180, UT 28/125, WI 42/174. Mayo, UCSF, UCSD, Harvard, Stanford, UPitt, UMich and UVirginia have average MCATs starting at 517. If necessary, next time apply to more OOS private schools with MCATs within 5 points of what you score.
I have definitely learned a lot this cycle including that OOS private is the way to go. thanks so much for the feedback I will construct a better school list and run it by SDN before I apply next time as well. do you mind if I tag you in that future post?

Just when I reassured myself that a well-rounded, good meaning candidate will get in somewhere, here comes this thread to completely crush that idea.

Thank you for your service to our country. I have the highest respect for veterans above all others.

The only two things I see here that are somewhat lacking:

-MCAT
-interviewing
-school list? but not really

Man, good luck. I will pray for you to get off wait list at any of these places. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have definitely learned a lot this cycle including that OOS private is the way to go. thanks so much for the feedback I will construct a better school list and run it by SDN before I apply next time as well. do you mind if I tag you in that future post?
Your app is amazing! i don't have much to add compared to the other posters but have you tried sending LOI and update letter? I hope you will get off at least one waitlist soon :)

You just needed to apply to more OOS private schools. Use WedgeDawgs application sheet to help tailor your school list.

Your app is amazing! i don't have much to add compared to the other posters but have you tried sending LOI and update letter? I hope you will get off at least one waitlist soon :)
Thanks I’m hoping so too but I have to plan for the worst situation. I’ve tried updates and LOIs (both interest and intent (I’m pretty sure I’ve sent mayo like 3-4 of them lol)) and even asked for more letters to be sent to the schools that accept them but so far nothing. Thanks for the support but I have to improve that app and try again when I can afford to

I’m still pretty upset that mayo hasn’t accepted you. Hoping they realize how much you’ll add to the school and take you off the waitlist!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m still pretty upset that mayo hasn’t accepted you. Hoping they realize how much you’ll add to the school and take you off the waitlist!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
lol, start a letter writing campaign for me (no don't do that it sounds like a terrible idea). in all seriousness, I hope to get off the waitlist there too! thanks for the support it has really meant a lot to me this cycle!

See, I know @SCN1a on a personal level off the forums. He is anything but cold. Hes a genuinely good guy and I am schocked no one bit. And I got into Mayo with a lower MCAT than he did. So I just have to say that I am lost why hes sitting on no acceptances. On the adcom side of things, would you say that it is the luck of the draw whether you connect with your interviewers? Could that be at play here?

@SCN1a Is the cGPA and sGPA that you listed averaged in with the GPA of your "young and stupider" days?" The GPA is still very high for someone who made a mistake in their younger years which often include multiple credits of failed classes or poor grades. Just double checking the numbers, especially if it seems like you presented yourself with higher stats than what the adcoms were actually looking at on paper could be a critical reason why your interviews didn't turn out as expected.

@SCN1a Is the cGPA and sGPA that you listed averaged in with the GPA of your "younger days?" The GPA is still very high for someone who made a mistake in their younger years which often include multiple credits of failed classes or poor grades.
The lowest grade I’ve ever received in my younger years was a C in a five unit class but other than that I’ve been a 3.5+ student most of my life. My problem was really figuring out what I wanted to do with my life I was the first in my family to go to college and had to figure it out from high school onwards pretty much. Medicine didn’t cross my mind until 3-4 years ago and then I began to take and enjoy the hard sciences. Lol I have several associates degrees as a result of figuring out my life

The lowest grade I’ve ever received in my younger years was a C in a five unit class but other than that I’ve been a 3.5+ student most of my life. My problem was really figuring out what I wanted to do with my life I was the first in my family to go to college and had to figure it out from high school onwards pretty much. Medicine didn’t cross my mind until 3-4 years ago and then I began to take and enjoy the hard sciences. Lol I have several associates degrees as a result of figuring out my life
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Honestly, just looking for the hole that we're apparently both not seeing in a solid application.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Honestly, just looking for the hole that we're apparently both not seeing in a solid application.
It’s probably school list and that I’m extremely modest when it comes to interviews I don’t like tooting my own horn and I think it’s unprofessional to brag but with more interview practice I think I can find a way to work in more of my accomplishments and I’ll work on my MCAT score as well.

There was no hole. He got six interviews from great MD schools. His interviewing skills likely need work, though.

I would expand your school list but I understand the financial limitations. Thank you for your service and I do not think you will have to reapply. Schools are crazy to NOT have you. Best of luck.

Remember that this is a seller's market and competence will not get you accepted. You must sell yourself to schools because they have an ocean of applicants to wade through. When they pick you up, look alive and prove them you are stellar. Otherwise, you'll just join all the other dead fish in the water.

Also, I can't wait to hear if you get off any list, keep us posted.

And here I thought that other thread was going to be the most shocking of the day...I was wrong. Thank you for your service. I love that the only person I've ever seen on SDN with a circadian rhythms related username has this string of an app. I hope you get off those waitlists, especially at Mayo.

And here I thought that other thread was going to be the most shocking of the day...I was wrong. Thank you for your service. I love that the only person I've ever seen on SDN with a circadian rhythms related username has this string of an app. I hope you get off those waitlists, especially at Mayo.
Thanks so much though I study epilepsy and it’s related conditions with the SCN1a gene. Honestly I didn’t think this post wouldn’t get as much traction as it has. The support from you guys is really appreciated you guys rock all of you!

Apply TMDSAS next time around if you don't get off a waitlist. 10-12 schools for app price of $150. TX schools love military!

Thank you for your service!

Apply TMDSAS next time around if you don't get off a waitlist. 10-12 schools for app price of $150. TX schools love military!

Thank you for your service!

That sounds like a good idea.

Worst case scenario if you don't get in this time, @SCN1a, if you bring that MCAT up to a ~516 or so, you might have a shot at UT Southwestern, which is a great school. Being an out of state applicant would work against you there. On the other hand though, your GPAs are almost exactly their medians. And based on their MSAR, it sounds like they particularly like applicants with your qualities and life experiences.

Last edited:
I think it may come down to interview skills. You have a very unique story and schools love to see that (especially the top tier schools). You have shown overcoming great adversity. I dont think your metrics or ECs are the problem because schools wouldnt have interviewed you if they didnt think they could see accepting you. Maybe it was a way you were articulating your experiences in the interviews or things you said made them think you have different aspirations than what they are known for (like if you expressed wanting to do straight clinical and dont really have an interest in research at all).Some people also dont show a ton of emotion when talking and you may be 1000000% in love with what you are doing but may have adcoms question your authenticity because of lack of emotion (when I get nervous, I get pretty direct and have to remind myself to relax and be excited about what Im talking about).

@cherrytaffyz @Goro @person777 @boogiecousins94 @LizzyM @DubbiDoctor @Drekan311 @MareNostrummm @DBC03 @MarineMDHopeful @Pina Colada @LoveBeingHuman:) @Xyzcannon18 @Prometheus123 @DV-T @buckoh24

hello everyone! thank you for pointing out areas that I can improve upon. I am incredibly grateful for your sharing your experience and support both publicly and privately. I was just selected off of the waitlist at Geisel School of Medicine and will continue to work on the areas you have pointed out. I hope to one day help others on this site with the experiences I've gained during this cycle and during my time in medical school. all of you guys are amazing and do excellent work in supporting the premedical population. I can't say enough how grateful I am for this community. You docs (and future docs) rock!

Reactions: 36 users
@cherrytaffyz @Goro @person777 @boogiecousins94 @LizzyM @DubbiDoctor @Drekan311 @MareNostrummm @DBC03 @MarineMDHopeful @Pina Colada @LoveBeingHuman:) @Xyzcannon18 @Prometheus123 @DV-T @buckoh24

hello everyone! thank you for pointing out areas that I can improve upon. I am incredibly grateful for your sharing your experience and support both publicly and privately. I was just selected off of the waitlist at Geisel School of Medicine and will continue to work on the areas you have pointed out. I hope to one day help others on this site with the experiences I've gained during this cycle and during my time in medical school. all of you guys are amazing and do excellent work in supporting the premedical population. I can't say enough how grateful I am for this community. You docs (and future docs) rock!
:soexcited::highfive::highfive::highfive::hardy::hardy::hardy::luck::luck::luck::love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap::clap::clap::highfive::highfive::highfive::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::woot::woot::woot::biglove::biglove::biglove::banana::banana::banana::claps::claps::claps::hello:

Hell yeah!

Congratulations!!!

YESSSSS!!!! Been rooting for you!!!!! You’re gonna kick ass (also thank you for your service)!

@SCN1a , I am so happy for you! It was an honor struggling through the Dartmouth and Mayo threads with you this year lol. Thank you for your service and go kill it!!

Congrats!

Congrats! while i'm saddened that we won't be classmates! i'm happy that you can continue your dream! Best of luck!

I am so happy for you @SCN1a ! You deserve this more than anyone.