Re-Schedule July MCAT or Take July MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yhw2321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am still a bit new at this and I apologize if this is similar thread to others. I have tried to do some searching myself, but they have not seemed to answer my questions.

I am currently scheduled for the July 29th MCAT, but I have reservations about it because I feel my scores are still not up to par yet and I have already moved it once from June. I have been mainly getting 7's throughout the sections with occasional 8-10s, but overall still in the lower half of the 20s. I feel I can still improve because I have mainly gone over material and not as heavy on the practice problems.

My friends have suggested that I should just go ahead and take this July MCAT and score it because if I moved it again to August then it would make much of a difference in my score and I would not get my scores until September.

What does anyone think is my best course of action at this moment?

Also, I have not completed my application for this cycle and this is the first time I would have my MCAT scored.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man, I feel your pain. I was too scheduled for the July 29th MCAT however I just canceled because I was not ready to take it. I took AAMC 3 and scored 7PS, 7VR, 8BS. I finished reviewing a majority of physics, general chemistry, and biology and working some freestanding questions. However, I looked at my TPR book and I saw hundreds of unfinished passages. I did not feel that it was realistic to for me to complete all of those, take more AAMC practice tests, and remain sane all before July 29th.

SO, I decided to cancel my test and take it some other time. I am going on vacation for a long time so taking the exam in August is not feasible for me. I'll most likely take in January with all my friends. The ONLY reason why I decided to move my test was because I KNEW that with additional practice (A LOT MORE) that I could pull up my score to the 33+ range. I am fine with waiting a year and taking some time off. This would allow me to save up a lot of money (I have a great job) and just live and enjoy it life before hell takes over. As you may have noticed, that a majority of people on this form stress "Do it once and do it right." If you know that there is more that you could do to prepare and raise your score, then by all means delay your test. However, if you have completed everything you have, then there really is nothing else to do except to practice what you're weak in and you might as well take the exam.

Hey man, I feel your pain. I was too scheduled for the July 29th MCAT however I just canceled because I was not ready to take it. I took AAMC 3 and scored 7PS, 7VR, 8BS. I finished reviewing a majority of physics, general chemistry, and biology and working some freestanding questions. However, I looked at my TPR book and I saw hundreds of unfinished passages. I did not feel that it was realistic to for me to complete all of those, take more AAMC practice tests, and remain sane all before July 29th.

SO, I decided to cancel my test and take it some other time. I am going on vacation for a long time so taking the exam in August is not feasible for me. I'll most likely take in January with all my friends. The ONLY reason why I decided to move my test was because I KNEW that with additional practice (A LOT MORE) that I could pull up my score to the 33+ range. I am fine with waiting a year and taking some time off. This would allow me to save up a lot of money (I have a great job) and just live and enjoy it life before hell takes over. As you may have noticed, that a majority of people on this form stress "Do it once and do it right." If you know that there is more that you could do to prepare and raise your score, then by all means delay your test. However, if you have completed everything you have, then there really is nothing else to do except to practice what you're weak in and you might as well take the exam.

If you are going to take it in Jan, your studying over the summer will probably go into a waste. I suggest taking it in sept or something man. 6 month stretch might be an overkill.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're still scoring in the 20s at this point, a few additional weeks is unlikely to significantly boost your score. However, as mentioned, I would aim to take your exam at least once in this year, and see how it turns out if you don't want to stick with your July test.

Rescheduling for Jan. is too long of a gap .. and there's a good chance you'll probably wait to hardcore study until like Oct/Nov, and might find yourself in the same position. My rationale when I was debating between Jan and Mar of this year was .. if I take it now, I'll at least have gone through the process once and have some idea of what it's like to take the MCAT .. and then, if I need to retake it, I have plenty of time. A lot of the MCAT is just all the stress leading up to it .. not so much the material, but the atmosphere and all that .. once you've gotten over that, the next time (if there even is a next time ..) will be much easier to deal with

don't take the mcat until you are completely ready to take it and get a score you need to get into medical school. don't take it (w/o voiding) if you're not ready.