Reading Comprehension Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please select the best strategy (assuming you have 20 minutes per passage) for doing well.

Members don't see this ad.

i picked the 2nd option, it was suprising to me how many of the questions used phrases that were word for word straight from the passage. Just look back for the phrases, read for context, and its all good.

Originally posted by HangOnSloopy
i picked the 2nd option, it was suprising to me how many of the questions used phrases that were word for word straight from the passage. Just look back for the phrases, read for context, and its all good.

I agree with HangOnSloopy. My questions were pretty much all direct phrases from the passages and not difficult to find.

The questions were asking for things found directly in the passage. Even still, I used the first strategy it as it lets you answer many questions without refering back to the passage and it lets you find the relevant portion very easily in case you need to refer back. I spent the first 14 minutes on average reading the passage thoroughly and the remaining 6 minutes to answer the questions. Sometimes it feels like you're cutting it close, but it worked for me.

I actually found that quickly scanning the text (and I mean QUICKLY) and then reading the questions and looking for an answer to be the fastest way to get this section done...

gatorfan.