Realistic chances for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanolane

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow forum members! This will be my first time applying to dental school. It's been a long road of schooling to get to this point, and now the reality of the situation is starting to sink in.

First, I want to say that I absolutely 100% want to be a dentist. This is a career that I have always considered, and have gotten serious about pursuing the last 2 years.

Overall GPA: 2.9
Science GPA: 2.9

Will be taking the DAT the first week of July.

My first year at University I was a music major on scholarship. Needless to say, I was young and did verrrry poor with my academics. I then served a 2 year LDS mission, reevaluated my priorities, and enrolled at the local community college because of lower price of tuition, and no longer having the music scholarship. I took lots of classes, retook a number of classes I didn't do well in the first time around, but overall I settled for a number of Bs. I have worked throughout all of my undergrad, and am married. Looking back I wish I put in the extra effort for As, but here we are.

I'm currently at a 4 year university and have gotten a 3.3 GPA the last two semesters, taking the hardest classes towards my major. Upward trend overall. I have 2 semesters left to get my bachelors degree, and when I get a 4.0 during these last 2 semesters it will boost my overall GPA up to a 3.1 and my science up to 3.0.

Extracurriculars:

VP of a pre-medical professionals club (pre-med and pre-dental) for a year. Organized a number of service and fundraiser activities for that.
3 years of work experience as an assistant at an Endodontist's office. (probably more than that, but I'll just round it out to 3 years in total. My father is the Endo)
2 week humanitarian trip in Central America.
2 year LDS mission
Member of an award winning research project, and was the lead presenter at a national chemistry convention.
80 shadowing hours (general densists, oral surgeon)
Lots of volunteer and community service hours.
4 strong letters of recommendation. I have not asked my dad for a letter. I am not planning on mentioning my father as being a dentist in my personal statement.

My GPA is low, and that I will need to apply broadly. Probably 12 schools at the minimum, including many private schools. The two schools my dad attended are not exactly OOS friendly, so I am not banking on legacy being my ticket. I have no idea if legacy is even a benefit, but I'll still apply to them as I'd love to attend either of those schools.

Should I apply to so many schools this time around? Or should I only do a few this time around (<10) and then go all in next cycle when my GPA is marginally higher? Do I have ANY chance or do I need to move on from my dream of being a dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe wait until next year when you have better stats and a great upward trend? Also, without a DAT score, nobody can really give much advice.

Legacy can help if your stats are up to par. If your stats are not up to par, then no type of connection can help.

The facts that you went on missions/ married/ have lots of work experience/ have GPA of upward swing are all positives in your favor. It's going to be difficult with that GPA but if you can score above average on the DATs (22 and up) then it would significant increase the chances.

Also, know that you can't ask your dad for a letter of rec, and asking him for a letter without disclosing he's your father is sketchy. Instead, you should spend some time at another dentist (like friend of your dad's) and get a letter from them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You will need to absolutely destroy the DAT to compensate for the lower grades.

You have other things going in your favor, but aim for a higher DAT score. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe wait until next year when you have better stats and a great upward trend? Also, without a DAT score, nobody can really give much advice.

Legacy can help if your stats are up to par. If your stats are not up to par, then no type of connection can help.

I think connection is important especially if it comes from family. But this is just from my interview experiences that some interviewers asked me if there are any dentists in my family.

I think connection is important especially if it comes from family. But this is just from my interview experiences that some interviewers asked me if there are any dentists in my family.
Yeah, of course, but I don't think they make up for poor grades. If your grades or DAT scores shows that you may be unlikely to succeed in dental school, then nothing else in your application matters. If you have the grades, connections can be quite helpful.