Realistic IM applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

joshkarp

I'm an M4 who is about to submit my ERAS. My goal is to end up doing a categorical internal medicine residency program in NYC or Boston. I was wondering if anyone out there has an idea of how to determine if you are competitive for a program or not. I am an average medical student in every sense of the word. I am right in the middle of my class at MCV/VCU. Step 1: 217, Step 2: 189 (BAD!). I have good recs but then again everyone does. I have no research or publications but have extensive extracirrucular activities related to my hobby of backpacking and mountaineering. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

joshkarp said:
I'm an M4 who is about to submit my ERAS. My goal is to end up doing a categorical internal medicine residency program in NYC or Boston. I was wondering if anyone out there has an idea of how to determine if you are competitive for a program or not. I am an average medical student in every sense of the word. I am right in the middle of my class at MCV/VCU. Step 1: 217, Step 2: 189 (BAD!). I have good recs but then again everyone does. I have no research or publications but have extensive extracirrucular activities related to my hobby of backpacking and mountaineering. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

joshkarp, im in the same boat as you. very average medical student, no research, alot of extracurricular activities, step one score lower than yours but step 2 I increased ten points compared to my step one score. Im looking into the FLA and TEX area, and to tell you the truth, im anxious and nervous!!!

If you're looking stricly at Boston and NYC it's going to be difficult - would you consider the suburbs?

I'd look at the university-affiliated community programs, which in Boston would be pretty much limited to St Elizabeths. In NYC there's some more options like NYU Downtown, Lenox Hill, St Lukes...
If you're willing to look around Boston, or in the other burroughs, there's more options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude,

Have I got a program for you!!

Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Where the real action is.

What's the best resource to figure out how competitive IM programs are? Are there tier classifications out there or other ways to find out which are top, middle and lower rated programs?

Molly Maquire said:
Dude,

Have I got a program for you!!

Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Where the real action is.

why is that? good programs or are you being sarcastic?

Ice-1 said:
What's the best resource to figure out how competitive IM programs are? Are there tier classifications out there or other ways to find out which are top, middle and lower rated programs?

Go to their webpages and look at their listings of residents and where they went to school. Also, preponderance of IMG's.

Apply to all of the programs in the area. Who knows maybe you will get that interview at the BI and maybe you'll like it there. You never really know what a program is looking for until you apply and you really have nothing to lose. Just remember to have a range of programs. Apply to MGH but also apply to Tufts or UMass or what ever community programs there are in Boston. The same goes for NY.This is a reall opportunity to look around and reach as high as you want to with no down side risk... as long as you interview at some less prestigious programs and rank them. But only rank places you would actually not mind matching at.

(nicedream) said:
Go to their webpages and look at their listings of residents and where they went to school. Also, preponderance of IMG's.

do all schools have a listing of their residents?

At least as far as NYC is concerned, there are plenty of programs which you should be competitive at...just in Manhattan, there's St. Luke's-Roosevelt, St. Vincent's, Lenox Hill, Cabrini, Beth Israel, NYU Downtown.

(nicedream) said:
Also, preponderance of IMG's.

hey nice dream (or anyone)....quick question....i know there's a raging debate over IMG v. AMG, but would you know where DOs stand in this mix...there are some porgrams that I have heard about that would rather take a foreign MD instead of having a DO on board (Columbia- Presby comes to mind)...

insight?

(nicedream) said:

do most programs prefer AMGs over IMGs? I'm beginning to really doubt it..what happens if the FMG scored above 80% percentile, versus an AMG in the 10% percentile?