really concern about my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stn1983

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi my fellow SDNer's I am really concern about my chances to pharmacy school this next cycle. I have a 4.0 prepharm gpa. However, I have a 3.48 cumulative GPA with a bachelor in Biochemistry. There was a class that I took one semester that I received a D in. I was practically never there due to family issues. I got a 79% on my pcat. I also have about 4 years of pharmacy technician experiences. What do you guys think my chances are for this upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Even though this should go in the WAMC thread, I'll say you really shouldn't be TOO worried, unless that D was in a pre-req for pharmacy school. If it was, get re-enrolled in that class for spring now because I can't think of a school off-hand that will accept a grade lower than a C in a pre-req.

If the D was in a class not required for pharm school, I wouldn't sweat it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you are being sarcastic and joking around...at least I sure hope. In case you are not, I would not worry about one D. The stats you listed look SOLID to me.

I am by any means am not being sarcastic. Sorry if I might have came that way to you. The D that I got was in my biochemistry lab. I had a tough semester as I had mentioned above. As far as my pre-reqs. I believe I have all A's but maybe one B.

Anecdotally, I had a lower pre-pharm and cGpa than you and recieved 4 California school interviews. Granted there's a myriad of other aspects involved but you have solid numbers. You certainly have a good chance.

Sorry to accuse. I think your chances are great. You have a good GPA, experience, and PCAT.

If it helps you feel better, I have a D on my transcript and will be going to pharmacy school next fall.

the guy with the 2.5 gpa should be worried, you, on the other hand, need to get over yourself.

Thanks for all the replies. Wolfpackhal that really gives me a lot of hope! I have never received a D before and that was my first. I was pretty down about it for a while. I just felt like now there is no chance I will get in because of that D. I guess coming out of highschool my teachers and counselors all told me I had to have stellar grades in order to get into Pharmacy school. This has stuck with me ever since and I have done well for the most part, but that "D" had put a big dent in my confidence.

hi my fellow SDNer's I am really concern about my chances to pharmacy school this next cycle. I have a 4.0 prepharm gpa. However, I have a 3.48 cumulative GPA with a bachelor in Biochemistry. There was a class that I took one semester that I received a D in. I was practically never there due to family issues. I got a 79% on my pcat. I also have about 4 years of pharmacy technician experiences. What do you guys think my chances are for this upcoming cycle?

GPA is fine. PCAT is on the lower side though. Might want to retake.

GPA is fine. PCAT is on the lower side though. Might want to retake.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Scoring at or above ~80% of the nation is not on the "lower side."

Even though this should go in the WAMC thread, I'll say you really shouldn't be TOO worried, unless that D was in a pre-req for pharmacy school. If it was, get re-enrolled in that class for spring now because I can't think of a school off-hand that will accept a grade lower than a C in a pre-req.

If the D was in a class not required for pharm school, I wouldn't sweat it. Good luck!

As well, some schools require pre-req grades (C minimum) done by end of spring, some by end of summer (before starting pharmacy school classes). Make sure you find out. U of MN you have thru spring; Creighton you have thru end of spring semester, FYI.

stn1983, as long as the D is not in a prereq course you are fine. Many schools want Cs or better in the prereq courses. There is no guarantee for you, or anybody, that you will become accepted to a pharmacy school. However, I would say you have an excellent shot. The admin comittees will notice the D, but are going to focus on your overall solid qualifications. Nearly every applicant is going to have at least a small flaw or two in their application. For some, the flaw may be lack of any pharmacy experience, maybe a few Cs or Ds, lack of good LORs, one bad section(s) on the PCAT, etc...the list could go on and on.

if you got below 80 on any science or math section, I would retake the PCAT, otherwise you sound like you're a competitive applicant.

if you got below 80 on any science or math section, I would retake the PCAT, otherwise you sound like you're a competitive applicant.
And you know this because...? I got a 74 on my PCAT Chemistry section, and last I checked, no school I applied to had a problem with my Chemistry subscore.

OP, with a 3.48 GPA and 79 PCAT, you're a competitive applicant. What I would advise you to do is retake the Biochem lab. Even that is iffy. If you're applying to a school that requires it as a prereq, you will have to retake it because most pharmacy schools require a grade of "C" or better on prereqs. Or you could just apply to a school that doesn't require Biochem and not worry about taking it at all.

I don't agree with this statement - I think if you had 80 subscores in every section your composite would be in the 90s somewhere - which would certainly make you a bit more competitive but seems unnecessary. However, there may be some schools that are looking for some minimum subscores - if you got below a 50 maybe in any section, I might consider taking it again.

For example, Creighton *prefers* to see subscores of 60 and above, but having one below that does not automatically disqualify you as a candidate (which is why it's a preference and not a requirement). Just something to think about.

I don't think you should worry. I got an F in physics during one quarter and retook it and got a B. My prepharm GPA and cum GPA are lower than yours (but then I have a BS in Chem and BS in Bio - i don't know how that factors in) and I still got into 2 pharmacy schools for Fall 2009. Don't sweat it. All you can do is apply and try your best. Comparing your statistics to others isn't going to help you in any way.

And you know this because...? I got a 74 on my PCAT Chemistry section, and last I checked, no school I applied to had a problem with my Chemistry subscore.

OP, with a 3.48 GPA and 79 PCAT, you're a competitive applicant. What I would advise you to do is retake the Biochem lab. Even that is iffy. If you're applying to a school that requires it as a prereq, you will have to retake it because most pharmacy schools require a grade of "C" or better on prereqs. Or you could just apply to a school that doesn't require Biochem and not worry about taking it at all.

What I was trying to say is that if you have a 79 PCAT because you have a 99 verbal, 99 reading comp, and v. low scores in sciences, then you should rewrite. That was just my humble advice, I wasn't intimating anything or trying to put anyone down. Chill yall.