Really worried about my grades...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankpak786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on the verge of getting a C+ in my gen. chem II class. Which gives me a C+ for both gen. chem I and II. With a B in Bio I and A/B in everything else, do I have any realistic shot for med. school? My GPA stands at a 3.44 right now. I'm a lower sophomore.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes? You are very young in your path. You still have 2 years to pick up your grades, and you will hopefully have a nice little GPA uphill climb.
It's too early to freak out but you might want to reflect on your study habits or course load and fix them.
Almost anyone can get into medical school given the AACOMAS GPA replacement. If you are feeling down on your luck then I would dip into the underdog thread and read up on some candidates with 2.2-2.9 gpa's.
good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

I'm on the verge of getting a C+ in my gen. chem II class. Which gives me a C+ for both gen. chem I and II. With a B in Bio I and A/B in everything else, do I have any realistic shot for med. school? My GPA stands at a 3.44 right now. I'm a lower sophomore.
To give you reference points to aim for:

AACOMAS (DO) matriculant average stats are cGPA 3.48, sGPA 3.36, MCAT 26.51.

AMCAS (MD) school matriculant averages are cGPA 3.67, BCPM GPA 3.61, and MCAT 31.1.

You still have time to get on your A-game. Figure out what's keeping your from excelling. Maybe meet with an academic counselor at your school for added insights.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you please expand on what the AACOMAS GPA replacement is? I'm not familiar with that what that is at all.

And thank you both for your answers, def. do feel a bit better.
The thing is, I'm a bit behind I think in sciences, so may have to take a gap year, unless I double up on Orgo I and Bio II next semester. Then finish off Physics sequence with Orgo II in junior year. What do you guys think?

Thanks again, really.

1) Can you please expand on what the AACOMAS GPA replacement is? I'm not familiar with that what that is at all.

2) I'm a bit behind I think in sciences, so may have to take a gap year, unless I double up on Orgo I and Bio II next semester. Then finish off Physics sequence with Orgo II in junior year. What do you guys think?
1) AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy:
Each class that one retakes must have the same credit hours as the original course, or greater.
The retake need not be at the same school.
The course name needn't be identical so long as the course content is demonstrably similar per the course catalogs.

When one retakes, only the most recent grade is included in the calculation of your application GPA by AACOMAS. This is the fastest way to redeem a low GPA.

2) Don't sabotage your GPA repair efforts by taking on an overly challenging course load unless you are positive you'll get all As. Average age of matriculation is about 24-ish, so there's no rush. Take your time and apply when you have the best application you can develop.

even with a 3.44 you would have a chance at MD with a competitive MCAT, strong EC's, etc. you have time though, so just pull up your GPA as much as you can

Hey guys!

Good news, I received a B in my Chem II course! So relieved, thanks again to all of you for your support :)