This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdbath1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 509, GPA 3.7, UNC grad, NC resident
Research: 2 publications with 3 years of research 10 hours a week pancreatic cancer research
Clinical Research: Summer fellowship with a hospital to do clinical cancer research
Shadowing: over 200 hours shadowing IM, Transplant surgery, and orthopedic surgeon
Medical scribe in ER 40 hours/week since July 2017
Volunteer: volunteered at an assisted living facility 200 hours
Teaching: Teaching assistant for Organic Chemistry
EMT certification, and currently applying for volunteer position as EMT-B
Graduated with Highest honors due to thesis

I've been unsuccessful with my application this year so far, I have yet to receive an interview. What can I do to increase my chances for next year?

School list this year: UNC, WF, ECU, MUSC, EVMS, VCU, Albany, NYMC, Drexel, Temple, Sidney Kimmel, UCF, Miami, Tulane, Georgetown, Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that your list was too outrageous... how were your LORs?
they were actually really good a couple of my writers even shared them with me. I have yet to hear from any school besides getting rejected pre II from ECU, Georgetown, and Tulane. I have the very interested status at VCU but that does not seem to mean much. Any idea if I should continue scribing or if I should try something new?

I've heard that scribing is generally viewed in a positive light by adcom's so I don't think that's the problem...how were your secondary essays/personal statement? Did you spend a lot of time on them/have someone else read every secondary you submitted?
I probably revised my personal statement 6 or 7 times based on 4 med students advice and had all my secondaries reviewed before submitting

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it could be helpful if you did more non-clinical volunteering. Also, when were you complete?

Reactions: 1 user
I think it could be helpful if you did more non-clinical volunteering. Also, when were you complete?

thanks for the advice! I sent in my primary June 3rd and had all my secondaries done within a week of receiving them.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the advice! I sent in my primary June 3rd and had all my secondaries done within a week of receiving them.
Yeah, you've pretty much been involved in everything extensively enough except the non-clinical volunteering so I'd get started on that and if things don't go so well for the rest of the cycle (hopefully they do though!), you'll have new experiences to write and talk about! If you need to reapply, I'd also broaden your school list by adding some more MDs near your stats and possibly DO if you're not opposed to that.

I also need the same advice.. currently a sophomore in college planning to add in a lot more hours.

So far I have:
40 hours hospital volunteering
60 non clinical volunteering
Plan to volunteer at the animal shelter starting next week & also this spring I hope to shadow a Pediatrician.
Also, have the opportunity to research at a dolphin encounter program in the Bahamas.. how many hours are sufficient and what needs to be added?
-member of phi theta kappa and biology club.

MCAT 509, GPA 3.7, UNC grad, NC resident
Research: 2 publications with 3 years of research 10 hours a week pancreatic cancer research
Clinical Research: Summer fellowship with a hospital to do clinical cancer research
Shadowing: over 200 hours shadowing IM, Transplant surgery, and orthopedic surgeon
Medical scribe in ER 40 hours/week since July 2017
Volunteer: volunteered at an assisted living facility 200 hours
Teaching: Teaching assistant for Organic Chemistry
EMT certification, and currently applying for volunteer position as EMT-B
Graduated with Highest honors due to thesis

I've been unsuccessful with my application this year so far, I have yet to receive an interview. What can I do to increase my chances for next year?

School list this year: UNC, WF, ECU, MUSC, EVMS, VCU, Albany, NYMC, Drexel, Temple, Sidney Kimmel, UCF, Miami, Tulane, Georgetown, Rosalind Franklin