Reapplicant (Canadian) Looking for help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDHopeful_95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian reapplicant (this will be my 3rd time, first time with new MCAT) based out of Vancouver looking for help with a school list. My stats ...

School: Top 20 Liberal Arts
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.8
MCAT: Old 33, New (05/20) 520

ECs:
-> Full time research job during gap year (1200+ hours), poster presentation upcoming and two publications in the fall (one second author)
-> Four years (1200+ hours) of NCAA athlete, one year team captain
-> 340 hours independent research in Undergrad (poster presentation)
-> 3 days (20 hours) in Flint delivering clean water with the Red Cross
-> 400 hours of clinical work as assistant in Immunodeficiency Clinic
-> 48 hours tutoring underprivileged kids
-> 1600 hours over four summers as a summer camp counsellor
-> 40 hours volunteering at a community breakfast
-> 400 hours Director of a sumer camp
-> 40 hours Hospital volunteer
-> Various awards including Sigma Xi and honours within my major

Current List:

Reach -- Columbia*, UCLA*, Harvard, Mt. Sinai*, Johns Hopkins, Stanford, UVA*, Vanderbilt*, Cornell*
Target -- Albert Einstein, GWU*, NYMC, Oakland Beaumont, Thomas Jefferson*, Stony Brook, Wayne State

What are peoples thoughts on this? Should I avoid schools that I've already applied to?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Goro,

I did that, and the schools I listed are some of the most generous to International applicants. My only concern is that I might be reaching too much since my best MCAT score came on my second attempt (not sure how multiple scores are viewed) or that schools that I am reapplying to might look less favourably at me as a reapplicant. Should I add more schools that accept a higher percentage of internationals even if I'm a reapplicant (NYU for example)?

Buy the MSAR.
Filter for the 57 MD schools that consider internationals.
Eliminate all of them that matriculated less than 4 (e.g. Stanford).
Eliminate the mission-based schools unless you fit the mission.
Identify the remaining ones where the median MCAT isaround 34-35.

Bring us the list and we will be happy to edit.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Gyngyn,

You actually already helped me in the "Chances" thread. Again, thanks so much -- I submitted and feel pretty good about my choices.

Just out of curiousity, do you say "Identify the remaining ones where the median MCAT is around 34-35" because that's the approximate average of my two scores? I figured since my newest score is from the new MCAT and also my most recent score, it would be given a higher weight...

Hi Gyngyn,

You actually already helped me in the "Chances" thread. Again, thanks so much -- I submitted and feel pretty good about my choices.

Just out of curiousity, do you say "Identify the remaining ones where the median MCAT is around 34-35" because that's the approximate average of my two scores? I figured since my newest score is from the new MCAT and also my most recent score, it would be given a higher weight...
All scores are visible and have an inevitable (if unpredictable) effect.

Hey MDHopeful!

Just wondering, were you able to get feedback to why you were not accepted the first cycle?
Your stats seemed very competitive the first time around.

Edit: I'm also a Canadian Applicant, which is why I ask.

I wasn't able to get much feedback, but it was likely a combination of bad advice on school selection (way too many reaches) and poorer ECs (way less research and shadowing than I have now).

Best of luck with your cycle!

Reactions: 1 user