Reapplicant this Cycle: What are my Chances + Mcat Score Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pankon451

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the midst of applying for the 2019 admissions cycle. The first time I applied was in 2016 and applied before receiving mcat score. I was scoring about 500 on my FL's ( 3 FL's at a 495, 2 at a 500, without even having taken Biochemistry) with an even distribution among all categories. I received multiple primaries in the meantime my gpa at the time was (cgpa 3.34, scgpa 3.2, and when mcat came back I received a 487). Fast forward after I recevied score I stopped applying). Then during my senior year I lost two close family members, working full time, and taking 20 credit hours per semester, participating in extra curriculars, and for the first time ever I failed two science classes. I reached a super low point and never thought I could ever reapply to medical school again. After graduation I applied to a MPH program, which I planned to pursue even in medical school, and I took some undergraduate science classes to bring up my science gpa which fell below a 3.0 after the two classes. My stats now are MPH cgpa 3.85, grad scgpa 3.9, ucgpa 3.25, uscgpa 2.91). My question is will medical schools look at my undergrad science gpa and my grad science gpa when looking at my qualifications? Furthermore, I have been studying on and off for the past 3 months, took biochemistry, and am scoring consistently at 502. I am planning on taking the MCAT at the end of this month, but am worried I will not score well again like the first time. Any thoughts? I am open to any suggestions, advice, and am planning to apply for this cycle and would like to know my possible chances?
  • Clinical Volunteering: 500 hours +, still maintaining
  • Shadowing: 80 hours
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 120 hours
    • Volunteered 3 hours a week as a tutor for underprivileged youth (4 years in undergrad)
  • Clinical Research:
    • RA in a hospital for two years + (8 hrs/week) - Research involves heavy patient contact
    • Will receive a LOR from Research manager and signed off with approval from Program Director
  • Publication: Poster presentation this fall on medical research that will be conducted over the next 2 years, doctor has written me a LOR for this upcoming cycle
  • Leadership:
    • Vice President of Tutoring organization during undergrad (1 year)
    • Pre-Soma (Student for Osteopathic Medicine) events coordinator for one year
    • Public Health Representative/Liason for Graduate school (1 year)
    • Public Relations Chair for Undergraduate Organization connecting students to Volunteer experiences off- campus ( 2 years)
    • Executive Board Member for Cultural Club (extracurricular - 8 years)
  • Employment:
    • Family Business sales manager - 7 + years

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure exactly how they view a MPH degree for Medical schools, but you did say you took some science classes during your program, correct?. You may have a chance with DO schools over MD. Any thoughts @gonnif ?

Reactions: 1 users
Higher chance at DO. MPH contributes very little value towards your chances at MD.

Reactions: 1 user
It really depends on the score of the MCAT. Schools will not overlook your undergrad work (unless there is a very very good reason), but you may have a chance for DO schools if you score the 502 (not any lower).

Since this is your second MCAT attempt I would say take it only if you feel that you prepared yourself long enough and well. Obviously 3 months studying is long, but doing it "on and off " may mean you can still achieve a better score given more actual study time. Also more effective studying would mean less needed prep/study time, but only you can know how effective your studying has been on a per hour basis (and whether you can improve that).

Reactions: 1 user