Reapplying 2 Years After Initial Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbabs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I plan to reapply for vet school in the 2017 cycle- 2 years after my first application. In this time, I plan on retaking some classes such as orgo and biochem and also retaking the GRE as I did just ok the first time I took it. I have already gained a lot more animal experience and hopefully veterinary (I already had a lot to begin with, so I'm not as worried about that).

I was just curious if anyone here has taken retaken classes after applying and how it works? Like it doesn't go on your transcript from your college, so how does that work? Also, when does vet school stop looking at your GPA/grades as much as they did if you were applying as a current student?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I plan to reapply for vet school in the 2017 cycle- 2 years after my first application. In this time, I plan on retaking some classes such as orgo and biochem and also retaking the GRE as I did just ok the first time I took it. I have already gained a lot more animal experience and hopefully veterinary (I already had a lot to begin with, so I'm not as worried about that).

I was just curious if anyone here has taken retaken classes after applying and how it works? Like it doesn't go on your transcript from your college, so how does that work? Also, when does vet school stop looking at your GPA/grades as much as they did if you were applying as a current student?

Thanks for your help!
I haven't repeated courses, but I can tell you that some schools replace your grade for the course with the newest attempt, or average the two attempts together. Usually the school websites will mention how they handle that and if not you can email/call them. If you take the repeated attempt at a different school, you just send your transcripts to VMCAS (you send the transcripts from every institution you've attended). The school handles the grade recalculations from there.

I wouldn't say adcoms treat current students any differently than graduated/non- students who are repeating courses when it comes to GPA/GRE. Usually, academic evaluation is the most standardized part of an admissions process for any school. You are evaluated the same way a current student would be and are held against the same GPA/GRE cutoffs. They may notice you took a gap between applications and (hopefully) did better in some courses and got more experience, but if you still don't make those cutoffs, you usually won't move forward in the process. I've heard of a few schools making exceptions to that rule for students (current or not) that have exceptionally moving essays or really remarkable experiences, but don't count on that. Also, not all schools even look at your non-academic information if you don't make the initial 'round one' cutoff, so there's that to think about as well.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help!

I did this :) I applied in the cycle in the summer of 2013 and then didn't apply again until the summer of 2015. What I wound up doing is retaking the GRE (no improvement) added an extra elective because I felt I was lacking some diversity in my class selection, retook the class I got my worst grade in (though at community college instead of university) and worked full time in a vet setting.

How the different universities factor your grade is going to vary based on where you apply, look into the policies to see which ones replace versus which ones will average it.

I'm not sure which part of the changes I made are what made the difference, but I came out of this cycle with 3 interviews and 1 acceptance as opposed to 5 flat out rejections my first time through. In all of them I did end up talking about why I took that year off between applying and what I did to improve my chances. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Vet schools will always care about GPA and GRE - some schools care more than others though, so applying intelligently is important. No amount of time out in the real world is going to compensate for a weak GPA. However, having that time between applications with strong improvements would be a great thing to be able to point to when applying to speak to your dedication and work ethic.

Like it doesn't go on your transcript from your college, so how does that work?

This year you'll apply to attend whichever undergraduate institution you choose as a visiting, post-baccalaureate student. Then you'll register retake the courses you're interested in.

When you reapply, send VMCAS the transcripts with your additional classes. The year you apply, you'll have a transcript for every institution you attended.

After completing my bachelors, it took me two years to feel comfortable applying. I graduated with a 3.09 and hadn't yet taken my GRE.