Reapplying! Are these schools within my league?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NguyenDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MOSDOH, UNE, Georgia, and Washington might be tough as a TX resident. Isn't Georgia doing only like 5% OOS? And Meharry is...well, Meharry. I hope you get some love from the TX schools this round.

Hello everyone! :)

With no luck last cycle (3 interviews with no acceptances), I'm reapplying with my NEW DAT scores and I'm being smarter this time around in selecting schools. I was wondering if you can give me feedback on the list I gathered. Should I add or delete any? Etc... Thanks!! :)

Here's my info:
cGPA: 3.59
sGPA: 3.47
BCP: 3.19

AA 20
TS 20
PA 22
GC 22
OC 20
BS 19
RC 19
QR 21

TX resident
Asian
I have community college credit for a few prereqs

SCHOOL LIST:

MWU-AZ
USC
UoP

Western
LECOM
MWU-IL
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Louisville
University of Michigan
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
University of Medicine New Jersey
New York University
Buffalo

Baylor
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Roseman
Case Western
Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ATSU)
Georgia Health Sciences University - College of Dental Medicine

University of New England College of Dental Medicine (Portland, Maine)
University of Washington
Meharry

Columbia University
University of Maryland
Louisiana State University
Delete schools in red.

Members don't see this ad :)
Delete schools in red.
don't dele the UoP, Buffalo, UMDNJ, and Louisville.

If you are not from NY, Buffalo is pretty OOS friendly, UMDNJ used to be unfriendly but they are now accepting more OOS students.

Okay, thanks for your help everyone!!! :) :)

Yep delete Georgia for sure. Only 5% OOS

With no luck last cycle (3 interviews with no acceptances), I'm reapplying with my NEW DAT scores and I'm being smarter this time around in selecting schools. I was wondering if you can give me feedback on the list I gathered. Should I add or delete any? Etc... Thanks!! :)

Here's my info:

AA 20
TS 20
PA 22
GC 22
OC 20
BS 19
RC 19
QR 21

TX resident
Asian

SCHOOL LIST:

MWU-AZ
USC
UoP
Western
LECOM
MWU-IL
University of Louisville
University of Michigan
New York University
Buffalo
Baylor
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Roseman
Case Western
University of Washington
Meharry
Columbia University
University of Maryland

I was thinking about applying to this one last year but I didn't because I think I remember reading somewhere that they are only interested in applicants who live and will be practicing in Maine. Again, not too sure about that one but check it out before you spend the $$$

It wasn't open last year.

Does state residency play a role in admissions?
Prospective students from across the United States, Canada and abroad apply to the University of New England. In support of the mission of the College of Dental Medicine to serve the people of Northern New England, some preference is given to applicants from Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. All prospective students are encouraged to apply for admission.

someone brought up a good point about ENU on my thread...since this is their first year, they might be more open to OOS applicants; which is the reason why I'm going to apply there. :laugh:

I guess UNE is worth a shot since it's not certain how they're going to run things. But with a declared preference of states and only 40'ish seats, it might be tight. But who knows? They might get a decent number of apps, but that additional letter requirement might keep some people out of the race.

Wow, great stats. You should be pretty busy traveling this fall. Good luck.

Maybe add Creighton? 70 OOS seats. Much better odds than Louisiana.

Here's my info:

AA 20
TS 20
PA 22
GC 22
OC 20
BS 19
RC 19
QR 21

TX resident
Asian

SCHOOL LIST:

MWU-AZ
USC
UoP
Western
LECOM
MWU-IL
University of Louisville
University of Michigan
New York University
Buffalo
Baylor
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Roseman
Case Western
University of Washington
Meharry
Columbia University
University of Maryland

I would say you're looking pretty good. Like DoeAdeer, I would encourage you to avoid schools that are not OOS friendly, though I'm curious why he/she would have you nix UoP and Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ATSU). They seem like a good fit to me. Is there a reason you didn't add ASDOH and Creighton to your list. I also find it interesting that you want to apply to Meharry, but not Howard. Forgive my ignorant assumptions, but if I remember correctly don't Asians have a better shot at Howard than Meharry. It seems that, as far as dental school goes, Asians aren't really considered underrepresented minorities (URM). I honestly don't know and I hope no one takes offense; it's just a thought. You may have mentioned this already, but what are you doing in your year off? How are your EC's? I think you have a great shot. Best of luck to you!

Some of you guys need to look at the ADEA book again and consider OP's info.

University of Louisville - Doesn't take many Asians. There are 7 out of a class of 146. Odds aren't good. Take this out.

University of Nevada, Las Vegas - Takes mostly West Coast. 24 out of state matriculated and 10 were from Cali alone. Take this out.

New York University - Ask yourself, would you really go here if you got accepted? It's better to figure out now then when you're trying to find plane tickets/hotels for New York.

USC - Ask yourself, would you really go here if you got accepted?

Buffalo - It only takes 16 OOS in a class of 90. Not sure how one of you can recommend this. Take this out.

Georgia Health Sciences University - College of Dental Medicine - Almost 100% in state for Georgia residents like everyone said. Take it out.

University of Washington - 8 from OOS. Not good. Take this out.

Meharry - You're not a URM and almost guaranteed to waste your time/money with this. Take this out.

Columbia University - This is a little bit of a reach. But it's up to you.

LSU - Also slightly a reach if you don't have any Louisiana connections. But it does take a handful of Texas people so you could do worse. I know someone from Texas that goes here.

NguyenDDS, is there a reason you didn't add ASDOH? I remember you interviewing there in the fall. Not sure why you wouldn't want to reapply. Oklahoma is a good place to apply for Texas residents. I would add that to your list. Tufts would've also been nice but you have CC credit.

And the problem with Creighton for OP is that they take OOS from mostly the midwest region. There were 3 people from the South (2 Florida, 1 Louisiana). Not worth it.

Last edited:
Aww, you guys are all awesome, thanks so much for your help! :) :)

Last edited:
As for ASDOH, I guess I could include them in again :) I left that school out because they rejected me 2 weeks after my interview :oops: I'm not sure if they look back to the previous cycle... but if they did, I have a feeling they wouldn't choose me for an interview again. Yikes!

Maybe you'll get a decent interviewer this time...

Definitely add Tufts. They have a huge Asian population (I think 43% were asian in the 2015 class) and they are OOS friendly. Also, Temple takes a good amount of OOS.

Definitely add Tufts. They have a huge Asian population (I think 43% were asian in the 2015 class) and they are OOS friendly. Also, Temple takes a good amount of OOS.

She said above that she took some of the prerequisites at CC, so she should not apply to Tufts. I was going to suggest it as well, but then I read about her CC courses.