Reapplying: Should I Wait or Reapply Immediately

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diverdude93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied during the 2017-2018 cycle and received 2 interviews, but ultimately was rejected from 1 and currently on the waitlist for another (but I am not hopeful about movement on it currently). I sent primaries to about 20 schools but only sent out secondaries to 10 (all allopathic), all of which I thought were appropriate for my stats.

I am wondering if I should reapply immediately during this next cycle (2018-2019), or take an additional year off and reapply during the 2019-2020 allopathic cycle? Here are my ORIGINAL (used during 2017-2018 cycle) stats:

non-Hispanic white male

Biology major, Hispanic Studies minor
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.32
*NOTE: these are with strong upward trend.
freshman/sophomore cGPA: 3.27
freshman/sophomore sGPA: 2.96
junior/senior cGPA: 3.825
junior/senior sGPA: 3.76

MCAT:
July 2016 : 505 (127, 126, 125, 127)
May 2017: 512 (127, 128, 127, 130)

Extracurriculars:
Volunteer & Spanish Translator in free clinic (30 hours)
Lifeguard (summer/winter job 1150 hours)
Shadowing
-Orthopedic anesthesiologist (10 hours)
- ER Physician (70 hours)
Global Medical Brigades (~775 hours)
- went on 3 different trips, served as Vice-President for 1
General Biology TA (420 hours)
Collegiate Men's Swim and Dive Team (950 hours)
- all 4 years of college, voted Co-Captain during last 2 seasons, voted Co-MVP during final season
Student Athlete Advisory Committee (160 hours)
- representative for 2 years, Vice-President during third year
Hospital Volunteering ( 270 hours)
- basic pre-med type of hospital volunteering
BBB Biology Honor Society (100 hours)

I believe my biggest weaknesses are my GPA, lack of nonclinical volunteering, and lack of research.
During this cycle (2017-2018) I was in an SMP for medical physiology and began nonclinical volunteering. My additional stats are therefore:

SMP GPA: 3.83
nonclinical volunteering (soup kitchen) - 30 hours

I will spend this next year volunteering and working as a medical scribe. Therefore, I would also list projected hours for both scribing and additional nonclinical volunteering on my AMCAS primary.

However, I am unsure if these improvements are enough to be successful if I reapply immediately. I wonder if therefore waiting a cycle would be more beneficial, or if my old stats combined with my new ones will be enough to likely be successful during this cycle for allopathic schools.

Thank you for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe my biggest weaknesses are my GPA, lack of nonclinical volunteering, and lack of research.
During this cycle (2017-2018) I was in an SMP for medical physiology and began nonclinical volunteering. My additional stats are therefore:

SMP GPA: 3.83
nonclinical volunteering (soup kitchen) - 30 hours
I can't speak to the impact of the SMP GPA, so I'll let others chime in there.
The 30 hours volunteer over the course of a year isn't enough to make any meaningful change in your application.
You still don't have research and it doesn't look like you are planning on getting any more this year.

Additionally, only sending out secondaries to 10 of 20 schools was a horrible decision with your stats. Maybe applying wiser (and to DO schools) this cycle will make a difference.

If you feel your SMP GPA and applying smarter this year can make the difference go ahead and apply. I would recommend taking the cycle off and trying to get some research experience.

If there is ever a question, wait. Develop yourself into a better candidate for next year and you will thank yourself. Your MCAT score is good for another 2 years. Enrich your application and make a better school list, also work on your essays and interview skills.