reapplying to Dental school need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Duck Dentist

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First year applicant and I received 1 waitlist and still haven't heard from Touro. Looking for advice on if I should retake DAT, take a few more upper-level science classes or go the master route? Also, LOR can we use some of same people just have them revise their previous letters with updated info? The following are my stats and general info on work/shadowing info.

DAT1 PAT21 QR16 RC20 TC18 AA18
DAT2 PAT19 QR16 RC22 TC21 AA20
Overall GPA 3.5
Science GPA 3.2

~110 hours of Shadowing

Work experience/volunteering
~over 500 hours of volunteering (Track and Field Throwing Coach)
~substitute teacher
~college athlete

Thank you!
 
What schools did you apply to and when did you submit your application? How many interviews did you have?


Maybe someone else who knows more than me can comment on the 16QR. I'm wondering if that's below cut offs
 
UofP, UCSF, Marq, Michigan, UDM, Penn, Case Western, Touro.

Sent app in first week of July.
Had interview at Touro and UDM.

I was worried about the 16QR too so before I applied I asked a few of the tougher schools I was applying too (UCSF and UofP) if that was below the cut off and they said it wasn't.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GPA and DAT might have slightly too low for UoP, UCSF and Penn. It's hard to believe you only got two invites.
If I were you, I'd try to kill the DAT (or take some upper level classes and ace them)
 
GPA and DAT might have slightly too low for UoP, UCSF and Penn. It's hard to believe you only got two invites.
If I were you, I'd try to kill the DAT (or take some upper level classes and ace them)
I do agree I didn't pick the right schools, I picked schools that would be close to family mostly. Thanks for the advice.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I do agree I didn't pick the right schools, I picked schools that would be close to family mostly. Thanks for the advice.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I think u applied late and u chose wrong schools.
I got TS 21, AA 19 and i got 4 waitlist and 2 acceptances. I also have RC below 16 😉

PM me if u need anything

If u apply early this cycle, ull get in. U dont really need anything to improve, except yr scince GPA. By the way u still have a very good chance to get accepted at touro this cycle
 
Last edited:
I think u applied late and u chose wrong schools.
I got TS 21, AA 19 and i got 4 waitlist and 2 acceptances. I also have RC below 16 😉

PM me if u need anything

If u apply early this cycle, ull get in. U dont really need anything to improve, except yr scince GPA. By the way u still have a very good chance to get accepted at touro this cycle
What schools accept RC below 16?!
 
when I interviewed at Rutgers they said reading comp was an important section actually if I recall correctly, so thats kinda strange
I was at rutgers undergrad and grad school. They only care about science score (same as Nova). I know someone with RC 12 and TS 24 got in at Rutgers
 
I'll second the comments about your scores being fine. My DAT was similar, and my GPA only a bit higher. Five interview invites, four interviews, and three acceptances. Focus on the other aspects of your application and apply early.
 
I think u applied late and u chose wrong schools.
I got TS 21, AA 19 and i got 4 waitlist and 2 acceptances. I also have RC below 16 😉

PM me if u need anything

If u apply early this cycle, ull get in. U dont really need anything to improve, except yr scince GPA. By the way u still have a very good chance to get accepted at touro this cycle
Applying the first week in July is not too late.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the 10 months since you've submitted your application, what have you done to improve it?
Your DAT is fine. A few upper level sciences should do the trick.
I would also consider some self-reflection on school list. I know you said you wanted to be close to family, but you've got schools on your list from both coasts.
I think your stats are good enough to get into dental school, just not good enough to be as selective as you were.
Chin up. We live and we learn. I'm confident you will get something this time around.
 
I've already started to look at different schools to apply. Think I've learned my lesson there.

I've done 70 more hours of shadowing, started small business, still sub teaching, still coaching

Took and Anatomy and Physiology w/lab.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Make sure your personal statement is on point. Your GPA is on the lower end, but you can make up for it in other areas.
 
UDM can't turn down a school with an established reputation and it's closer to home.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
His post that I replied to was quoted in another thread...so I didn't see the first post in this thread... so calm yourself.
tumblr_n2anazy2IN1tssp09o1_1280.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad