-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
nymbarra, I wish we were going to the same place!!! 😍
Alas, but for the NRMP gods!
The EM world is a small place, and though I've never met you, you are hard to forget...🙄 😛
Please remind me periodically about the delectable sushi in LA while I sample the deep-fried fortune cookie ("your arterial walls are being coated w/ golden heavenly cholesterol...and you are content") in ATL...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
'cause now that we're n a new page maybe EM2BE will quit her whinin'
![]()
Don't you know by now I never stop whining

Went to my doc again this week. I think he forgot why he put me on my meds (asked questions related to the normal uses for the meds). Still wonder if he ever figured it out because he looked at me weirdly when I asked if I could start tapering down.
And yes...almost healed (with meds on board).
And if this stuff is any indication as to how ALS feels, I definitely wouldn't wish it upon anyone. At least I had a chance at recovery too.
And yes...almost healed (with meds on board).
And if this stuff is any indication as to how ALS feels, I definitely wouldn't wish it upon anyone. At least I had a chance at recovery too.
So my brother finally got married tonight. The one I never thought would do it. Now he has a real wedding ring that he can't use as a "chick magnet" any more. (yes, he used to wear a wedding band my brother made in a shop that looked like a legit wedding band because he found it attracted more females.)
And I am done. Seems very anti climatic.
Oh, well. Time to pack and get ready to fly out and look at apartments. At least I'm not sick of airports anymore. When I got back from all the interviews I was like if I never get on a plane again it will be too soon. I'm better now. Heck, wish I had enough money to take a plane to Europe, Australia, and South America. Oh and then top it off with a week on the beach in Hawaii. Dreams.
Oh, well. Time to pack and get ready to fly out and look at apartments. At least I'm not sick of airports anymore. When I got back from all the interviews I was like if I never get on a plane again it will be too soon. I'm better now. Heck, wish I had enough money to take a plane to Europe, Australia, and South America. Oh and then top it off with a week on the beach in Hawaii. Dreams.
(yes, he used to wear a wedding band my brother made in a shop that looked like a legit wedding band because he found it attracted more females.)
yeah, the SKANKS!!!

yeah, the SKANKS!!!![]()
Exactly the reason we thought he would never get married.
You know, a lot of people ask what it's like to live in a large family. I finally came up with a good, short answer.
Growing up (when everyone is younger), you always have someone around to play with and a baby to play with. You also always have someone else to blame things on.
As we are all getting older, everything is cheaper. Yes, financial aid in undergrad was great. Now, I have many family discounts I wouldn't otherwise get. And yes, I love taking advantage of my family discounts right now (like 40% off a car rental and free upgrade). And I know my time will soon come when they start calling me up...
Growing up (when everyone is younger), you always have someone around to play with and a baby to play with. You also always have someone else to blame things on.
As we are all getting older, everything is cheaper. Yes, financial aid in undergrad was great. Now, I have many family discounts I wouldn't otherwise get. And yes, I love taking advantage of my family discounts right now (like 40% off a car rental and free upgrade). And I know my time will soon come when they start calling me up...
D
deleted109597
Buying stuff for a new house is fun. Except for the paying for it part.
I want a housewarming party.
I want a housewarming party.
Buying stuff for a new house is fun. Except for the paying for it part.
I want a housewarming party.
I should start getting house warming parties every time I move. Then I'd at least have furniture next year. May be using my coffee table as a couch for a while after I move.
Done. On a Sunday. At 0700.
Now, where's the liquor?
😀
40 Days, 11 Hours, 2 Minutes, 1 sec. To Graduation.
- R
wow you have a late graduation! congrats way early!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found my favorite necklace I thought I had lost!!!!!!!!
Now if I could only find my glasses...
I found my favorite necklace I thought I had lost!!!!!!!!
really? where? I have been looking for mine! 🙁
D
deleted109597
Mmmm, beer.
Anyone else got a Landshark?
A toast...
Anyone else got a Landshark?
A toast...
I need to win the lottery... a couple grand will do...
A couple grand definitely would be helpful. Funny, but when I get an MD behind my name I will be the most in debt I have ever been in my life. And too many people I meet seem to think MD=rich.
That reminds me of smart aleck remark I kept using on surgery. The residents kept asking me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I responded with-A multi-million dollar lottery winner. Had found out on the clerkship before if I responded with ER doc, then I was ignored. Lottery winner got a couple laughs and a continuation of teaching. Plus, a couple residents agreed that that was a career goal of their own.
I need to win the lottery... a couple grand will do...
Good luck!

I was able to get my financial aid office to 'reimburse' me (by increasing my loan amount) for the Step 2 CS and CK fees. I'm still borrowing, but at least they're fed terms.
I could use a couple more thousand...
I thought about how I would answer that. I was thinking...
"my options are open, but since you guys seem to not like going to the ED for consults, how about I help with that"
But I'm sure they could read through that one.
My medicine team thought I was a freak of nature (but were gratefully) because I'd always jump on going to the ER, which they called the er-not as in the TV show, but as in the er in brighter.
Third year is weird with people's assumptions on what you are/should be going into. I've always been gung-ho ER, but been open minded and kinda closed mouthed on my intentions. I didn't say I was going into ER, because how could I know during third year. Somehow I've had a lot of residents thinking I was going into peds (maybe they thought I was nice). Peds residents tended to ask me what surgical specialty I was going into. And I was told by an anesthesia attending that he could see me in ER-but he meant it as insult (long story). I did have a brief love affair with surgery, but went back to my first love. Could have gone a different way. Did for some of my friends. Nothin' was set in stone till I matched in ER.
long time... Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I always told the truth too-I really do want to be a multimillionaire lottery winner when I grown up.😀so, I always told the truth, but emphasized that on that rotation, i wanted to be the best *insert specialist* I could be
I still see the 'what a waste' look in some people's eyes
I get that too... i also get it from my parents though 🙁 not as much my dad anymore, but every now and then my mom... she still wishes i would come to my senses and go into optho or derm... she thinks the ER is too stressful... i tell her i would be more stressed out and irritated in optho and derm because i would be so incredibly bored
most importantly, I was embraced by the EM community and love the work and even the suliest patients (I know, that will probably change!)
me too 🙂
so, I always told the truth, but emphasized that on that rotation, i wanted to be the best *insert specialist* I could be
Me too!!!!!
I always told the truth too-I really do want to be a multimillionaire lottery winner when I grown up.😀
i don't want to be a multimillionaire... i want enough money to be comfortable, but i don't want to be rich... money sucks, both too much and too little of it... just want to be rich enough to be able to travel as much as i would like and to be able to pay for my children's education
I get that too... i also get it from my parents though 🙁 not as much my dad anymore, but every now and then my mom... she still wishes i would come to my senses and go into optho or derm... she thinks the ER is too stressful... i tell her i would be more stressed out and irritated in optho and derm because i would be so incredibly bored
The only reason I've heard from my parents about me going into EM is because there are no EM residencies in their state, so I won't be home for a long time. I told my dad just last night he's going to just have to deal with it, and no, I'm not going to do FP. Then I tried to explain how 4th year usually works (floating all over the place), and he really didn't like that one. I guess this happens probably to most when there is no one else in the family that went into med school. But the whole EM thing is in the blood, brother a flight paramedic and nurse, and a sister who has left plenty of hospitals because she didn't get to see enough traumas.
D
deleted109597
This was like the prior to match day last year (and this year) when all the unwashed would ask "So where are you going to practice?" I'm not, I'm going into residency. "So where are you going to do residency?" I'll tell you after match day. "What, you haven't already made up your mind?"
D
deleted109597
I have always been pegged as 'too smart' for ER
Yeah, it is a common put-down in my neck of the woods too.
What's funny is that they all say I should do some IM subspecialty like cards or ID. Right, cause that's what I want to do all my life. Although I once thought about cards, for a week.
Yeah, it is a common put-down in my neck of the woods too.
What's funny is that they all say I should do some IM subspecialty like cards or ID. Right, cause that's what I want to do all my life. Although I once thought about cards, for a week.
Ironically, an IM specialty would be much easier than EM 🙄
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want my EP to smaaaat. In some of the other specialties you need to be smart to get into a program, then.........notsomuch.I have always been pegged as 'too smart' for ER
I want my EP to smaaaat. In some of the other specialties you need to be smart to get into a program, then.........notsomuch.
funny enough one of the people who said I was too smart was saying she didn't like EM because you have to be really smart to not miss anything. I just looked at her blankly. 😉
funny enough one of the people who said I was too smart was saying she didn't like EM because you have to be really smart to not miss anything. I just looked at her blankly. 😉
it is so very hard to come up with a reason not to do EM 😍
'cause now that we're n a new page maybe EM2BE will quit her whinin' 
