Rearview Mirror: Counting down the Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There was nowhere to lie down. We still took call with our team.

Oh then I don't know what their thinking is.

Members don't see this ad.

woohoo new page!!!!!!!!

And this week has been full of good news...as long as I block out any of the bad news.

Members don't see this ad :)
Relaxing and cleaning over the weekend. And maybe going to write that paper I keep putting off...

..when she redefined science and the English language.

During teaching rounds...
Resident1: There are two objective measures you can make on U/S. The first is where you look at the screen, and if it looks something like a 2 cm space, then that's the first measure for condition X. Question?
Student: You're estimating this space, right?
R1: Yes.
S: Then doesn't that make it a subjective measure?
R1: Mmmm...no. It is objective. The way you remember it is that objective measures depend on the observer.
RxnMan: :eek:

This is the same resident who pulled the scrub nurse aside showed him the photo/directory in order to point out which ones she thought were "good residents" and which "poor residents"

I was shown, today, that ultrasound is pretty darn cool. When I first saw U/S, the gray shadows meant nothing to me, and I feared it. Today I sat in on a lot of 1st trimester U/S screening today, and it was neat to see the anatomy leap off the screen.

It was even better when I got to drive the bus. :cool:

..when she redefined science and the English language.

During teaching rounds...
Resident1: There are two objective measures you can make on U/S. The first is where you look at the screen, and if it looks something like a 2 cm space, then that's the first measure for condition X. Question?
Student: You're estimating this space, right?
R1: Yes.
S: Then doesn't that make it a subjective measure?
R1: Mmmm...no. It is objective. The way you remember it is that objective measures depend on the observer.
RxnMan: :eek:

This is the same resident who pulled the scrub nurse aside showed him the photo/directory in order to point out which ones she thought were "good residents" and which "poor residents"

You are having some of the great experiences here....:rolleyes:

I was shown, today, that ultrasound is pretty darn cool. When I first saw U/S, the gray shadows meant nothing to me, and I feared it. Today I sat in on a lot of 1st trimester U/S screening today, and it was neat to see the anatomy leap off the screen.

It was even better when I got to drive the bus. :cool:

That's good. Hopefully eventually I will learn this as well.

Have gotten to do more lately. Don't know what has changed, but things seem better in the student life right now. Odd to feel better about increased responsibility. Was kind of odd today when I was the only student asked to do things when there were 2 other students sitting there doing nothing.

We are on our last page for this thread. When this one is done, we can create a pre-match thread. Maybe more will be more inclined to post and we might actually finish in less time. **Wishful thinking**

Happy turkey day to everyone and hope it went better than mine.

Starting to think bad luck follows me.
1. Heater broke overnight - emergency maintenance decided not to show up to fix it like they said they would
2. Didn't eat thinking I would eat soon = bad reaction to meds
3. On road to eat with a friend, friend's car breaks down and have to wait for a tow
4. Dinner supposed to be at 3:30 - ended up at 8p (at least I got something)
Finally just made it home (and discovered it to be freezing - good thing I'm "blanket lady")

Members don't see this ad :)
Got up at 3am to catch the early flight, flew 1800 miles, landed, drove another 2 hours, just in time to make it to Thanksgiving dinner with the fam. :cool:

Heat still not fixed. Maintenance hasn't called me back since this am either. I thought being gone for 6 hours would be plenty time for them to fix it. They better answer throughout the weekend or someone will be throwing a huge fit.

/rant.

I wish this weekend never happened.

Yay! It's back. I was lost all day without SDN.

Wish I had the motivation to do something right now. Lots to do before the night is up. Maybe later :) (Some can wait until tomorrow or later) Probably should pay rent though.

So forgot to research a topic yesterday I was supposed to talk about today. Turns out a 2-minute quick look-over was all I got time for before the time I had to present. Somehow pulled it off. Not going to take that chance again tonight though. Guess I should look it up now....

Another day, another cursing rant from my OB intern. :rolleyes:

I don't take it seriously anymore. She just has to "act out" after AM report. Every day. :rolleyes:

But you lose some, and you win some. I had an incredible nurse help me out today. Helped me with assessments, actually asked if I was done with my note instead of ripping the chart out of my hands, and pushed me in to catch the baby.

Can't believe I finally had good luck today. My turn to answer a question and it was my own diagnosis :) I knew it would come in handy at some point. (and could barely read the rest of the question after the first sentence because I knew the answer waaaaaay too early..too bad the remaining questions weren't as easy)

Have gotten the extreme importance in doing an abd exam on everyone...esp palpation. Pt admitted for completely unrelated complaint (all tests were neg...think they still wanted to observe). Attending palpates abdomen and feels something hard. CT done = slightly <20cm uterine mass, already metastatic. This was after at least 2 people had seen her before the next one caught it. Not that it changes the outcome in this case (matter of one day), but could in the future esp if the decision is to discharge. Just a sad case :cry:

Oh, and yes, also stresses the importance of yearly woman exams. (her last exam was around 35 years prior)

Have gotten the extreme importance in doing an abd exam on everyone...esp palpation...
As much as my intern wants to view patients as a vagina +/- parasite, I cannot bring myself to not to do a CV/Resp/Abd exam on every patient. Seriously, it doesn't take that long and I can't imagine missing something important like in your example...

As much as my intern wants to view patients as a vagina +/- parasite, I cannot bring myself to not to do a CV/Resp/Abd exam on every patient. Seriously, it doesn't take that long and I can't imagine missing something important like in your example...
Random side-note: When we follow antepartum patients (i.e. serial exams Q2H), I start off with a more thorough exam, and then cut back. For example, I'll try doing Leopold maneuvers the first time I see someone.

Yes, they're at term, and the baby is likely in vertex presentation, and I probably won't feel anything, but I won't get any better until I've done it a hundred times.

I feel that we should try to take advantage of our interaction with all of these patients, and part of that is practicing these (both standard and rare) parts of the exam.

I feel that we should try to take advantage of our interaction with all of these patients, and part of that is practicing these (both standard and rare) parts of the exam.

I agree. I thought I would never be able to palpate something abnormal in the abd until that day when I felt the mass. Granted it was huge, but at least I got the confidence I wouldn't miss something that big. And I remember it getting stressed in years 1 and 2 to always do the CV, resp and abd exam on everyone (esp since they are fairly quick and easy to do). I had learned that our (as a student) view on the exam can be beneficial when the attending doesn't listen the same way. Had another student catch a person with a very irregular rhythm in which the physician didn't know until they pointed it out. Turned an admission for an abscess become longer for cardiac workup, but safer that way than letting them go.

Neuro is still boring, but my team is awesome. Only 2.5 weeks until Christmas break!

At least you have an awesome team this time. And it seems unreal we have break coming up soon. Time is flying by too quickly sometimes.

Firmly believe a person should pay their bill if they want to sue. Charity care payment through the hospital should not count.

Went to a mandatory meeting for class today. Told our resident that we needed to attend and when we'd be back. Halfway through the meeting, we're paged by the intern. After a lot of cursing, she told us to come to L&D immediately. :rolleyes:

Random score card:

Vaginal deliveries witnessed: 2
Babies caught: 1
Cesarian sections witnessed: 2
Breech babies seen delivered via C/S: 3 :eek:

With the OB shelf on Fri, study day on Thurs, and teaching and outpt taking up all day on Weds, I have 2 full days of inpt OB left. :cool:

I am so ready for Psych-ation. Joking aside, I've bought my text and I really want to get better at psychopharm.

I also fly home in two weeks. :cool:

I found out that we ourselves cannot change anything throughout the year, however, when a school decides to change policy, it can do it at any time in the year and not have anyone to answer to (this is grading policy, exam policy, etc). Yes, these have both happened this year to us. And the grading policy was supposedly left in place, they just "forgot" the paragraph during one of their other policy changes, therefore it is retroactive on grades for sections we have completed :mad:

I found out that we ourselves cannot change anything throughout the year, however, when a school decides to change policy, it can do it at any time in the year and not have anyone to answer to (this is grading policy, exam policy, etc). Yes, these have both happened this year to us. And the grading policy was supposedly left in place, they just "forgot" the paragraph during one of their other policy changes, therefore it is retroactive on grades for sections we have completed :mad:
Ugh. I hate that stuff.

Had my last section for my app all finished when I was called away for pt care. Came back 5min later to the computer to see that a nurse had logged me out and in the process deleted my essay. :mad::mad::mad:

She refused to apologize.

I have one full day tomorrow and a couple of hours Weds morning. After that, I am done with OB/Gyn. :eek: :soexcited: :clap:

I am so ready for it to be over. Funny thing is, it was never the work. It was the people. :mad:

Come on people, we've got only a couple of more posts until we can close this mother. Let's take suggestions for the title of the next thread. I'll start:

Rearview: I've got Matchitis, and the only Rx is...

Rearview: Padding Our Matchitis Away, the '09 Remix

Rearview: Padding Makes the World Go 'Round

I saw SO many C-sections on OB. Almost to the point where I probably could have done one on my own.

A baboon with a scalpel could do a C-section. As far as OB goes, there are a lot of things more pleasant. A slow painful death, for instance.

Come on people, we've got only a couple of more posts until we can close this mother. Let's take suggestions for the title of the next thread. I'll start:

Rearview: I've got Matchitis, and the only Rx is...

Rearview: Padding Our Matchitis Away, the '09 Remix

Rearview: Padding Makes the World Go 'Round

Rearview: Pad or else....

Rearview: You know you want to

Had my last section for my app all finished when I was called away for pt care. Came back 5min later to the computer to see that a nurse had logged me out and in the process deleted my essay. :mad::mad::mad:

She refused to apologize.
Found an earlier draft, re-worked the essay, and submitted it, so everything worked out ok in the end. The end being 3 hours later. :mad:

Found an earlier draft, re-worked the essay, and submitted it, so everything worked out ok in the end. The end being 3 hours later. :mad:

Story of my life right there (not that in particular, just the luck). Sucks though for you. At least it was found.

Maybe something about the match for the next thread. That tends to get a few new people for a little while. Maybe we can get them hooked:hijacked:

And yes, the pirate was my hook.