Rearview Mirror: Counting down the Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe one of you can help me with my confusion: How is it that amiodarone can cause both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism? Both explanations of how they happen make sense, but what doesn't make sense to me is why it doesn't lean one way and balance out.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe one of you can help me with my confusion: How is it that amiodarone can cause both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism? Both explanations of how they happen make sense, but what doesn't make sense to me is why it doesn't lean one way and balance out.
If you're asking, "Why don't the different effects balance out?" then they don't - in different people, one drug effect or the other is more pronounced, and they present with either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, not both.

If you're asking, "Why don't the different effects balance out?" then they don't - in different people, one drug effect or the other is more pronounced, and they present with either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, not both.

You're understanding me right, but why doesn't it balance out? That's the part that still confuses me.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're understanding me right, but why doesn't it balance out? That's the part that still confuses me.
Why does one patient get AIN and a rash on a given drug, but the next patient doesn't? Different people are wired differently.

Unless a patient had some predisposing condition (e.g. prev. thyroid surgery) I don't think you could predict which way they'd go on amio, or even if those reactions would appear instead of a different reaction (e.g. amio lung). Anyone can correct me if I'm not thinking this through right.

Why does one patient get AIN and a rash on a given drug, but the next patient doesn't? Different people are wired differently.

Unless a patient had some predisposing condition (e.g. prev. thyroid surgery) I don't think you could predict which way they'd go on amio, or even if those reactions would appear instead of a different reaction (e.g. amio lung). Anyone can correct me if I'm not thinking this through right.

That makes sense when put that way. Thanks.

So, as a newly inducted student into medical school.... I dont understand how you guys find time to post as you do... I was posting up a storm earlier this year... but i'm so busy now, i feel bad anytime i'm not studying. Not saying I study all the time ;), but still!

I miss rearview mirror though... maybe I can keep track of the going ons here again.

So, as a newly inducted student into medical school.... I dont understand how you guys find time to post as you do... I was posting up a storm earlier this year... but i'm so busy now, i feel bad anytime i'm not studying. Not saying I study all the time ;), but still!

I miss rearview mirror though... maybe I can keep track of the going ons here again.

It's called I can't just sit there and watch tv, so tv time = sdn time. And welcome back.

My question is what's this "tv" thing you're talking about? :shifty::laugh:

haha...It's something I make time for before going to sleep. I have my nights of the week by tv shows, but these baseball games and election stuff is really making me disoriented to the day of the week. Oh and I have it on while I study / read. Good background noise if it's a rerun (otherwise distracting).

haha...It's something I make time for before going to sleep. I have my nights of the week by tv shows, but these baseball games and election stuff is really making me disoriented to the day of the week. Oh and I have it on while I study / read. Good background noise if it's a rerun (otherwise distracting).

whats this.... long typing that is going on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Baseball trumped another one of my shows tonight. Politics another. :(

You have a CRAZY number of posts. :)
No offense to EM2BE, but that's nothing - check out half of the mods like Winged Scapula or A4MD. Or Apollyon.

In other news, I just took the IM shelf. Some slam dunk questions, some fun ones, and some guesses. I'm pretty sure I passed, and if I did better than that, then that's ok too. Now that I got an idea of how to prepare for these things, I'll do better next time. On to gyn.

I guess I better work on that increased number then ;)

Week one of IM done. Only 7 more to go. But I get to see the EM residents sometimes (EM/IM that is). But it's something. haha

Now I just have to hope that one of the patients I had isn't as sick as we think she may be (or I will be on meds for this). Oh and it's not good for her to have it either.

I didn't have any trick or treaters that I know of. That is, they didn't knock loud enough to wake me up.

we had a bunch come up to the front door of our apartments, but none came in and actually knocked on our apartment doors. Oh well. We had a fun costume party last night :).

Had a great Halloween, now it's time to prepare for Election Day!

WOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO, let's get out the vote!!!!!!! :D

Had a great Halloween, now it's time to prepare for Election Day!

WOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO, let's get out the vote!!!!!!! :D

Voted last week. Now I wish the commercials would go away since I voted. :)

Writing a paper. Down to treatment and prognosis and still not enough motivation. I keep checking here obsessively hoping someone has posted.

My husband and I have a reputation to uphold at this point. For the past two years we had a "theme" and got comments from TEENAGERS like, "Wow. That's totally cool." So this year, I was Trinity and my Husband was Neo. When we opened the door, half the kids just stared at us and didn't say anything (we had a strobe light on and the Matrix soundtrack going in the background). I said, "Welcome...to the real...Halloween." Then my husband said, "Would you like the red candy, or the blue candy?" :D The parents and the kids who got it thought it was great. I love freaking the little guys out. :laugh:

Almost forgot I had to study before tomorrow. I guess I could start now. Finished my paper :clap:

And that's great about the costumes neurosync. Also, for some reason, you name seemed masculine to me :laugh: I think we even went through this before.

That's funny. I guess it does sound masculine in a weird way. But no, I'm a 118 lb tornado. :)

Hey all. How goes things? I'm on MICU. It's interesting. People are basically throwing procedures my way. Not bad at all.

Almost forgot I had to study before tomorrow. I guess I could start now. Finished my paper :clap:

And that's great about the costumes neurosync. Also, for some reason, you name seemed masculine to me :laugh: I think we even went through this before.
No way, study tomorrow.... Or today... whenever it is :). Or yesterday I guess since you wrote that on Sunday. HAHA. How did your test go?

No way, study tomorrow.... Or today... whenever it is :). Or yesterday I guess since you wrote that on Sunday. HAHA. How did your test go?

Took a slight nap today (5 hours). Now I better study. Test - not so good. Hopefully good enough.

Super irritated. Honking horns and loud music and cars is stupid past 11:30pm. Some people have no respect for those of us who have to get up in the morning.
Edit: and yes, I am tired enough to go back to bed right now.

EVERYBODY SHOULD BE PARTYING!!! don't be a stick in the mud! :D:D:D

OB/Gyn has absconded my life. I'm amazed at the number of things I've done in the last 2 days, and if what they tell me is true, my classmates are doing even more.

As a contrast to IM, it is amazing to be doing something. :eek: Good thing is that nobody complains about my notes...or presentations...or physicals...

Though I miss doing the thinking first...

power cord on my computer died. another expense i don't need. at least it lasted 3yrs.

I think sleep has officially become an obsession for me. Going to bed now.

You people are all slacking off on this posting thing. We've been on this page since 10/27.

Going to dinner tonight...and it's free to me!!!!!!! :clap:

Oh, and internal med hasn't been too terrible yet. Had all ADD attendings so far. It's great. :) (And yes, being home this early helps)

Is it safe to assume (probably not, I know) that the interview offers to York in PA mean York hospital and not Memorial Hospital (in York, PA)? Or possible they are combined?

No work today. Finished the week's reading. Now it is time for nothing.

You people are all slacking off on this posting thing. We've been on this page since 10/27.
See my post above :laugh: Not all of us have the time to pad it up.

Oh, and internal med hasn't been too terrible yet. Had all ADD attendings so far. It's great. :) (And yes, being home this early helps)
So you got an IM attending who does lightning rounds? :thumbup: Much better than the OCD variant (why are they on drug A? B?...[hours pass]...Z?) and the consult-happy, train conductor breed (" A case of GERD? Let's get GI on board. Someone with a vagina? Let's get Gyn on board. Lungs? Get a pulm consult. On board.").

See my post above :laugh: Not all of us have the time to pad it up.

So you got an IM attending who does lightning rounds? :thumbup: Much better than the OCD variant (why are they on drug A? B?...[hours pass]...Z?) and the consult-happy, train conductor breed (" A case of GERD? Let's get GI on board. Someone with a vagina? Let's get Gyn on board. Lungs? Get a pulm consult. On board.").

Excuses excuses :rolleyes:

Lightning rounds + consult happy (exactly as stated above). Done by 1 - 1:30 usually. (3 weeks now!)

Wish the headaches would go away. On the up side...may finally have a diagnosis...waiting a week to hear for sure though...one year mark.

TOTALLY OFF SUBJECT: 4 MOS. 5 DAYS TO THE MATCH!!!!!

I love that I'm interviewing for doc jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

TOTALLY OFF SUBJECT: 4 MOS. 5 DAYS TO THE MATCH!!!!!

I love that I'm interviewing for doc jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You seem super psyched tonight (from the other threads and this one). Any certain reason?

You seem super psyched tonight (from the other threads and this one). Any certain reason?

I'm just trying to soak up the last couple of days of freedom before I start my last EM Sub-I on Monday. I have to leave Saturday morning (driving). Plus, I just feel so damn grateful to be entering this field, to have some great interviews, and to be doing what I love. It doesn't get much better than this. :) YIPPIE!!!!

Whatever...it's the martini. :D

I'm just trying to soak up the last couple of days of freedom before I start my last EM Sub-I on Monday. I have to leave Saturday morning (driving). Plus, I just feel so damn grateful to be entering this field, to have some great interviews, and to be doing what I love. It doesn't get much better than this. :) YIPPIE!!!!

Whatever...it's the martini. :D

:smuggrin: I'll give you honesty. I get my first EM rotation in Feb and can't wait. Keep looking up the hospital on the internet to see if there is anything there that would interest me...unfortunately nothing new for me to look at (I guess fortunately though too since there is the chance of bad news).

Maybe I'll get to DO something at that hospital. Where I am, rotations are too easy - no procedures, minimal call (and they send us home early too). Figured at night I would do more, but I actually do less.

Maybe I'll get to DO something at that hospital. Where I am, rotations are too easy - no procedures, minimal call (and they send us home early too). Figured at night I would do more, but I actually do less.

Yea, the best rotations are the ones that let you DO something. You will LOVE EM. Also try to do an anesthesiology rotation fo sho!!!