Rearview Mirror: I've got Matchitis, and the only Rx is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
10 days of surgery left. 5 days anes in the middle. Not that I'm trying to finish this month quickly or anything...or that I'm miserable.

Oh, and decided medical school induces bipolar disorder. Extremely happy one month then depressed and grumpy for a month. And then in the middle for a while. Then the cycle continues. Any hints on how to deal? Or just deal (doing right now).

Members don't see this ad.

One more week until we find out if we have a job. I'm going crazy. I wish I could stop thinking about it. I loved every place I ranked, so I'll just be happy to get the, "Congratulations, you matched" e-mail (I HOPE!!!!).

T-minus seven LOOOOOOONG days...

I'm doing a difficulty backcountry ski trip next Sunday, though, so hopefully I'll sleep well that night. :D

backcountry skiing sounds like a lot more fun than two more weeks of neuro followed by medicine subI. What school does has a mandatory medicine subI fourth year?!

Members don't see this ad :)
This post is coming to you from the National Library of Medicine at the NIH, where I'm chilling after a day of interviews before taking the train back to the ALB.

The last two days has been a (tiring) blast. Two words about the NIH: limitless possibilities. Very cool.

This post is coming to you from the National Library of Medicine at the NIH, where I'm chilling after a day of interviews before taking the train back to the ALB.

The last two days has been a (tiring) blast. Two words about the NIH: limitless possibilities. Very cool.

:thumbup:

Great to hear things are going well for you there!

9 days. Well, actually 8.5 :)

I'm focusing on a week from TODAY right now. I just want to know that I matched SOMEWHERE. I'd be happy with anything on my list...

Mine does as well, as do most of my friends' schools (n=5 or so)

Until Match? 9.5.

haha...I was counting down working days of surgery for me.

Mine requires a FM and a cardio - not titled as sub-i. Also EM, but I don't consider that as a burden.

38 "working days" left in medical school. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:

Great to hear things are going well for you there!
Thanks. Now that the afterglow is gone, I'm kinda doundting my interview performance. I think I looked alright enough on paper, but the kids I was competing against were good.

I had three 30-min interviews. My first interviewer (a CC doc and chemist) spent half the time telling me how engineering (my ugrad degree) had no place in modern medicine. My second interviewer said he completely understood my career plans and where I wanted to go. Funny thing, this second guy had an engineering degree and was a urologist.

I really hate this Jets vs Sharks garbage. :mad: Basic vs. Clinical. Translational. Engineering vs Science. Bio vs Chem vs medicine vs DO vs blah blah blah. It's all the same, just points on the same continuum. Why throw up artificial barriers?

My first interviewer...
And another thing - I'm telling this guy that I want to get a small clinical study done if I get to spend a year at the NIH (something small [n=20-30], but something complete), and this guy says that's hard to do and most students only get to submit an abstract.

Then he asks "Have you ever written an abstract?"

Me: "Yes, several"

Did this guy even read my CV before the interview? :idea: This dude wasted my time. :mad:

Sounds like you had a crazy experience there - and saw the differing opinions in those that are judging you guys.

I just found out I have an OBGYN rotation without the GYN (outpt clinic). Didn't think that was even legal...

7 more days. Also known as about 90 more hours of this terrible place.

sorry...double post...

backcountry skiing sounds like a lot more fun than two more weeks of neuro followed by medicine subI. What school does has a mandatory medicine subI fourth year?!

Well, I don't mind a sub-I as a requirement, but they should let you to CCU or something that you would rather do. We don't have that, but we DO have a month of palliative care/rehab/geriatrics (choose an emphasis). I will finish that this Friday, then start a surgery elective on Monday. I'm looking forward to the next rotation because I haven't written a note, used a stethescope, or touched a patient FOR A MONTH. Our role was as observers to improve our physician-patient interactions...:sleep:

Well, I don't mind a sub-I as a requirement, but they should let you to CCU or something that you would rather do. We don't have that, but we DO have a month of palliative care/rehab/geriatrics (choose an emphasis). I will finish that this Friday, then start a surgery elective on Monday. I'm looking forward to the next rotation because I haven't written a note, used a stethescope, or touched a patient FOR A MONTH. Our role was as observers to improve our physician-patient interactions...:sleep:
We do a week of palliative care as a part of our IM outpatient rotation. Good stuff to know, but you don't need a month of it.

The bolded part describes my psych rotation...

We do a week of palliative care as a part of our IM outpatient rotation. Good stuff to know, but you don't need a month of it.

The bolded part describes my psych rotation...

lol No...we don't need a month of it.

My psych rotation was a little bit different. We hardly even talked with the patients (about 5-10 minutes as a team), and then spent the rest of the day writing notes on that or doing admissions. I DID do some patient care, though. Here is an example, "[NeuroSync], would you please go in the exam room and tell me if the patient needs an MRI? His knee hurts and I don't know how to do a knee exam. If you think he needs an MRI, I'll just order it." Another example, "[NeuroSync], please go see the patient in the exam room. She has a rash on her chest. I don't want to touch it. Tell me what it is and what I should write for. If you don't know, I'm consulting derm."

My psych rotation was a little bit different. We hardly even talked with the patients (about 5-10 minutes as a team), and then spent the rest of the day writing notes on that or doing admissions. I DID do some patient care, though. Here is an example, "[NeuroSync], would you please go in the exam room and tell me if the patient needs an MRI? His knee hurts and I don't know how to do a knee exam. If you think he needs an MRI, I'll just order it." Another example, "[NeuroSync], please go see the patient in the exam room. She has a rash on her chest. I don't want to touch it. Tell me what it is and what I should write for. If you don't know, I'm consulting derm."

.. and that's EXACTLY why i dont want to do Psych. Who wants to be the doctor on the plane who can't remember how to do CPR correctly when a old man goes down mid flight??

So, mine was a little better. I got to interview any of the patients, and by the end of my rotation, I had met everyone and taken a full history/MSE -> A/P. Then I'd go back and look at the EMR and see how my treatment matched with the attending's. Sometimes I did consults, which were interesting in their own way.

So I talked with crazies all day, and I never wrote notes or did admissions.

When I took crisis call, I would frequently get paged to do fall checks and the like.

So, mine was a little better. I got to interview any of the patients, and by the end of my rotation, I had met everyone and taken a full history/MSE -> A/P. Then I'd go back and look at the EMR and see how my treatment matched with the attending's. Sometimes I did consults, which were interesting in their own way.

So I talked with crazies all day, and I never wrote notes or did admissions.

When I took crisis call, I would frequently get paged to do fall checks and the like.

That does sound better. :)

.. and that's EXACTLY why i dont want to do Psych. Who wants to be the doctor on the plane who can't remember how to do CPR correctly when a old man goes down mid flight??

One of my psych teachers told me that her malpractice insurance was cheap simply because there was a clause that said she couldn't actually touch the patient. Thus, no listening to heart, lung sounds, no palpation of anything. Now I know why they send people to the ED for a K of 5.1 found on routine labs.

No surgery this coming week (doing a week of anes)! Yes...mood is lifted for a few days...too bad I will have to return for one more week.

I would love to have the option of doing a CCU rotation, but that's not in the cards. IM SubI followed by three weeks anesthesia elective and then I'm out of here!

All of the seniors in the clinic are nervous because of the Match. And I'm right there with them because the day after the Match, I'll find out if I got a position with the NIH. :scared:

All of the seniors in the clinic are nervous because of the Match. And I'm right there with them because the day after the Match, I'll find out if I got a position with the NIH. :scared:

Wow...the timing. But good luck. Hope it all works out for you. I am probably the only one hoping this week seems long (because I don't want to go back to surgery next week).

Wow...the timing. But good luck. Hope it all works out for you. I am probably the only one hoping this week seems long (because I don't want to go back to surgery next week).
Just wondering - Will they let you intubate? That'd be the high point of an anes week for me.

Unless they let you do blocks or spinals/epidurals. Then that'd be cool too. :thumbup:

Just wondering - Will they let you intubate? That'd be the high point of an anes week for me.

Unless they let you do blocks or spinals/epidurals. Then that'd be cool too. :thumbup:

Depends on the person I work with. I'm aiming to work with someone that will let me intubate. The only block I've had experience with is the digital block, therefore, I doubt I will get to do any blocks...but will likely get to watch.

473 surgery prelim spots open - guess the boyfriend may be in a slightly better mood considering. He was wondering how difficult it would be to get a prelim surgery year - hopefully with that many spots, not too difficult. ***fingers crossed for tomorrow***

And since I'm on anesthesia, maybe I can be done early enough to help him out.

473 surgery prelim spots open - guess the boyfriend may be in a slightly better mood considering. He was wondering how difficult it would be to get a prelim surgery year - hopefully with that many spots, not too difficult. ***fingers crossed for tomorrow***

And since I'm on anesthesia, maybe I can be done early enough to help him out.
So he'll be able to apply for the MD scramble after applying DO? I had no idea (not judging, just didn't know it could work that way). Take a look at the scramble thread - I put a link to AProgDirector's advice to scramblers there. Maybe it can help your SO.

RxnMan said:
So he'll be able to apply for the MD scramble after applying DO? I had no idea (not judging, just didn't know it could work that way).

You can partake in both matches so long as you don't match into equivalent years. You only get removed from the MD match after partaking of the DO match if you already picked up an equivalent training.

For example: you can match in the DO match for an intern spot, then go on to the MD match for advanced residencies. You are ineligble, however, to scramble or match for an MD intern year, or an MD categorical program (because the internship year is built in and considered as equivalent to the DO internship year)

So he'll be able to apply for the MD scramble after applying DO? I had no idea (not judging, just didn't know it could work that way). Take a look at the scramble thread - I put a link to AProgDirector's advice to scramblers there. Maybe it can help your SO.

He also did a safety net thing by writing down allo programs he didn't interview at so that he was ensured to be able to scramble not knowing how it worked.

Ha, I got that a lot on my psych rotation. The most memorable was when the nurses thought a manic lady had shoved her wrist id up her hoo-ha and they needed someone to come fish it out :laugh: good times!

Ha, I got that a lot on my psych rotation. The most memorable was when the nurses thought a manic lady had shoved her wrist id up her hoo-ha and they needed someone to come fish it out :laugh: good times!

wow..my psych rotation was lame at this. All I had was detox and then a few in the actual psych ward - all who were schizo or depressed and suicidal.

Nice... :)

I've got Matchitis, and the only Rx is...

GADGETS!!!

Seriously, I've been biting my nails down to nubbins for the better part of three weeks (the same as everyone else), and I've discovered that the cure for my terminal edginess is to go and buy a new gizmo that I've just been dying to get. In my case, it's a Zune mp3 player. In between yelling at my computer for being slow in setting it up, yelling at iTunes because my songs won't transfer, and yelling at myself for being in 20th grade and still not knowing how to deal with electronics, I figure I've cut a good 7-8 hours from my otherwise near-constant state of anxiety.

And you know what? My music sounds great! :D

I've got Matchitis, and the only Rx is...

GADGETS!!!

Seriously, I've been biting my nails down to nubbins for the better part of three weeks (the same as everyone else), and I've discovered that the cure for my terminal edginess is to go and buy a new gizmo that I've just been dying to get. In my case, it's a Zune mp3 player. In between yelling at my computer for being slow in setting it up, yelling at iTunes because my songs won't transfer, and yelling at myself for being in 20th grade and still not knowing how to deal with electronics, I figure I've cut a good 7-8 hours from my otherwise near-constant state of anxiety.

And you know what? My music sounds great! :D

Ugggh! That sounds horrible -- I'm in 21st grade...

Hi everyone! Been awhile. Almost done Medicine here. Hasn't been too bad, all in all. Surgery to go until 4th year! Still not fully career decided yet. Sigh.

Oh well, hope everyone else is doing well!

Best cure for matchitis: helping a good friend scramble. That was a terrible process and at this point I'm just happy I'm matching into any programs. If someone like my friend with stellar board scores and other stats can't get into ANY program, who am I to be upset about not getting number 1. i just kept thinking you've worked so hard for this for four years and now you're stuck begging for a job over the phone. It was awful and still no luck!

Best cure for matchitis: helping a good friend scramble. That was a terrible process and at this point I'm just happy I'm matching into any programs. If someone like my friend with stellar board scores and other stats can't get into ANY program, who am I to be upset about not getting number 1. i just kept thinking you've worked so hard for this for four years and now you're stuck begging for a job over the phone. It was awful and still no luck!

The above situation (and the others) was my worst nightmare...

32 working days left of medical school. :D

An awesome point. You are a great friend. I hope your buddy will be ok. :)

So the NIH contacted me - I'm an alternate for the CRTP. Oh well. The note said a lot of folks get in off the waitlist, so we'll see. All of the other year-off programs notify applicants to day too, so the waitlist should start moving soon. The deadline for decisions is 4/3, so I shouldn't have to wait long.

So the NIH contacted me - I'm an alternate for the CRTP. Oh well. The note said a lot of folks get in off the waitlist, so we'll see. All of the other year-off programs notify applicants to day too, so the waitlist should start moving soon. The deadline for decisions is 4/3, so I shouldn't have to wait long.

So sorry you are going through this. Hopefully you get some good news by 4/3.

UGH. That's stressful. I hope you get it!!! :luck: