Rearview Mirror: I've got Matchitis, and the only Rx is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So sorry you are going through this. Hopefully you get some good news by 4/3.

UGH. That's stressful. I hope you get it!!! :luck:
Thanks, folks. I've been working towards this for the last year and a half, and it blows that I got sunk by one crummy interviewer (see above).

Well, not sunk, but nothing's certain, so it's going to be stressful for awhile longer. But I called today to re-confirm that yes, I wanted to be on the waitlist, and they could call or email me at any time with an offer, and oh, heck, just assume I'll say "YES!" if they have an opening. :laugh:

I'm on FM now, and when my preceptor heard me on the phone, she asked if I was scrambling! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, folks. I've been working towards this for the last year and a half, and it blows that I got sunk by one crummy interviewer (see above).

Well, not sunk, but nothing's certain, so it's going to be stressful for awhile longer. But I called today to re-confirm that yes, I wanted to be on the waitlist, and they could call or email me at any time with an offer, and oh, heck, just assume I'll say "YES!" if they have an opening. :laugh:

I'm on FM now, and when my preceptor heard me on the phone, she asked if I was scrambling! :eek:

That sure does put some things in perspective.

Never been so ready for a week to be over as much as I am now (and yes, I am aware it's only 1 hr from being Monday).

Finding ways to make the week go by faster...if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
One more day...hopefully even going to get done early...probably wishful thinking of course.

what happened with your bf?

Still trying to find a spot. Found a program director that is going to help make calls, but don't know when or how many or where to right now. Kind of a sensitive subject around here right now.

Still on FM, one more week to go. I like that I have an idea of how to do most things, and I get most of the "what is the next step" type pimping questions right. We have a fun, more "urban" type population, too. But it's time for a change. I want to do more...

I also haven't heard anything about the NIH either.

Dang. Best of luck.

Thanks. Hopefully something will come through.

On a positive note, officially done with surgery!!!!!!!! (just have to turn in a few more things)

Members don't see this ad :)
WOOOOHOOOOOOO! Shouldn't that statement be accompanied by smilies, exclamation points, and capital letters?!?! :D Congrats!
In general, I'm one of those 'less is more' kinda guys. :laugh:

Thanks, and yes, it's great. I got the call between patients, so I got completely thrown off. The rest of clinic was a blur. Going out to celebrate later.

I get to work with anyone down there. I'll get to learn how to be a scientist from the best. Going from barely graduating -> three-time re-applicant -> med student -> soon working at the center of medical research in the world, the last 12 years has been a trip (god I'm old). I could not have done it without a lot of work, in part mine, but mostly the work of the folks who have supported me along the way.

Oh, and thanks to Roja, if she sees this. Her thoughts on following my interests was one reason I decided to apply. :thumbup:

In general, I'm one of those 'less is more' kinda guys. :laugh:

Thanks, and yes, it's great. I got the call between patients, so I got completely thrown off. The rest of clinic was a blur. Going out to celebrate later.

I get to work with anyone down there. I'll get to learn how to be a scientist from the best. Going from barely graduating -> three-time re-applicant -> med student -> soon working at the center of medical research in the world, the last 12 years has been a trip (god I'm old). I could not have done it without a lot of work, in part mine, but mostly the work of the folks who have supported me along the way.

Oh, and thanks to Roja, if she sees this. Her thoughts on following my interests was one reason I decided to apply. :thumbup:

It's great you heard back with good news!!!!!!! Hope it's all you could ever dream of. :thumbup:

Loving the evening shift. Have time to get up and do things prior to going in. I know I don't get anything done after I get home, so this is perfect for me!

This thread seems to be slowly dying. We need new recruits.

I agree on the night shift. It's nice to be able to do other things, not just work.

Starting surgery today. I was looking forward to this day as a MS1. I was tempted about going ortho. Now I'm starting with ortho, and I just don't care.

I think it was all the cursing and yelling on OB that did me in. (My OB intern had a funny way of greeting people in the morning).

I'm almost done collecting the data for the EM applicant survey. I need only a few more ROL placements. Lot more spread this year, which is good. I am going to compare this year's data alone, and then compared this year's + last year's to get some better power. Hopefully it'll be enough for BKN to do his Step I -> ROL placement conversion.

I agree on the night shift. It's nice to be able to do other things, not just work.

Starting surgery today. I was looking forward to this day as a MS1. I was tempted about going ortho. Now I'm starting with ortho, and I just don't care.

I think it was all the cursing and yelling on OB that did me in. (My OB intern had a funny way of greeting people in the morning).

I'm almost done collecting the data for the EM applicant survey. I need only a few more ROL placements. Lot more spread this year, which is good. I am going to compare this year's data alone, and then compared this year's + last year's to get some better power. Hopefully it'll be enough for BKN to do his Step I -> ROL placement conversion.

Sounds great (the last paragraph). Looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully I will be able to participate next year (assuming you will use the osteo info). And sorry to hear you are doing surgery. Hopefully ortho will be better than general surgery.

Time for me to get some sleep. Nice and cloudy and rainy...perfect for sleep during the daytime.

Sounds great (the last paragraph). Looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully I will be able to participate next year (assuming you will use the osteo info). And sorry to hear you are doing surgery. Hopefully ortho will be better than general surgery.

Time for me to get some sleep. Nice and cloudy and rainy...perfect for sleep during the daytime.
My first day wasn't bad. Learned some good stuff:

- To r/o posterior shoulder dislocations, use axillary lateral view x-ray
- Always get an x-ray of the joint above and below a fx - you may miss a 2ndry fx masked by the pain of the first
- Hip roll test (roll thigh int+ext relative to hip) is most sensitive test for hip fx

And the best - last patient of the day turned out to be a r/o compartment syndrome who got admitted for pressure measurement and obs. I, the novice, would have sent them home. Now that won't happen 'cause I know what it looks like. :cool:

My attending doesn't like EM, and he started cursing "ED this" and "ED that" all over the place. This is after I told him what I want to go into. :laugh: I don't care. I turned it right around and said "How would you have done this?"

My first day wasn't bad. Learned some good stuff:

- To r/o posterior shoulder dislocations, use axillary lateral view x-ray
- Always get an x-ray of the joint above and below a fx - you may miss a 2ndry fx masked by the pain of the first
- Hip roll test (roll thigh int+ext relative to hip) is most sensitive test for hip fx

And the best - last patient of the day turned out to be a r/o compartment syndrome who got admitted for pressure measurement and obs. I, the novice, would have sent them home. Now that won't happen 'cause I know what it looks like. :cool:

My attending doesn't like EM, and he started cursing "ED this" and "ED that" all over the place. This is after I told him what I want to go into. :laugh: I don't care. I turned it right around and said "How would you have done this?"

haha...I usually do something similar too. "Teach me so I won't have to call you" is usually how it works.

Recent news article made me think: If you do something illegal outside school and haven't been proven guilty, does the school have the right to expel you or should they put you on leave until the courts decide if you are innocent until proven guilty?

Here's the article I am referring to

Waiting for hopefully good news. Now have to wait until Monday. ugh.

Recent news article made me think: If you do something illegal outside school and haven't been proven guilty, does the school have the right to expel you or should they put you on leave until the courts decide if you are innocent until proven guilty?

I think in light of the magnitude of the charges leveled against him, it would be best to at least put him on LOA.

Ortho sub-clerkship ended well. Orthopod mumbled that I'd probably make a good ED doc, one that wouldn't call him in the middle of the night. I bet that was probably pretty hard for him to say. :laugh:

Then he said "But if you ever want to do something substantial with your life, remember you can always come back and see us [orthopods]." :rolleyes:

Clearly, with surgeons, take no insult personally, make gentle jabs back, and they'll roll right over for you. :laugh:

In the article there is a reference to the due process policy. His lawyer alleges that it was not followed. He has to say that because the only instance in which the courts are willing to interfere with school discipline is those in which it can be demonstrated that the school did not follow it's own procedures.

So, if the school's policies allow suspension or expulsion for arrest without conviction, it can be done. Seriously, if for example, substance abuse was credibly alleged, the school must be able to deny a professional diploma even if prosecution does not occur.

1) First day on Urology.
2) First time I've ever experienced sympathy pain. :eek:

:smuggrin:

Bf was told today that he would hear tomorrow...well today now. :xf:

STILL waiting!!!!!!! I wish they would call already. He tried to trick me into calling them. haha.

Finally! Good news. Spot for next year, but just for internship. Will still have to go through all this again next year.

Finally! Good news. Spot for next year, but just for internship. Will still have to go through all this again next year.
Hey - it's something. And a beginning is still a beginning. You guys can build from there, no doubt.

Congrats, and good job hanging in there. :thumbup:

Hey - it's something. And a beginning is still a beginning. You guys can build from there, no doubt.

Congrats, and good job hanging in there. :thumbup:

That's the way I see it as well. And thanks!

I can't believe this year is almost over. 9 weeks left :eek:

For you, maybe. I'm stuck in MS3-land until August. :mad: Can't wait until I can leave for DC.

But it's pretty neat, looking back. Learned a lot.

Oh wow...that seems late compared to most places. If it makes you feel better, I start my next rotation in Aug. (taking time off to study for step 2)

When are you leaving for DC?

And yes, it's really cool to look back and realize how much you have learned and how much is left to learn in the future. It's also amazing how different the exams at the end of rotations seem as time goes on...they seem to be getting a little easier suddenly because I've had to learn the stuff before somewhere for another rotation. Some things are even becoming common sense to me.

Can't believe my schedule got changed on me without 1) me being notified 2) them giving me the updated schedule. I only found out because someone randomly had the schedule out and I happened to notice my times were different. Worked out okay since I came home and slept for 6 hrs, but still just wrong.

Oh wow...that seems late compared to most places. If it makes you feel better, I start my next rotation in Aug. (taking time off to study for step 2)

When are you leaving for DC?QUOTE]Yeah, it's late. I have stated it to our school's admins and elsewhere, but our pre-clinical curriculum is bloated and should be reduced.

I plan to leave for DC at the end of July.
Can't believe my schedule got changed on me without 1) me being notified 2) them giving me the updated schedule. I only found out because someone randomly had the schedule out and I happened to notice my times were different. Worked out okay since I came home and slept for 6 hrs, but still just wrong.
Good catch. You can never trust anything that you don't run down yourself. I've found that you always have to check on schedules, follow-up your test results, and never trust your classmates - always go to the source.

When are you leaving for DC?QUOTE]Yeah, it's late. I have stated it to our school's admins and elsewhere, but our pre-clinical curriculum is bloated and should be reduced.

I plan to leave for DC at the end of July.
Good catch. You can never trust anything that you don't run down yourself. I've found that you always have to check on schedules, follow-up your test results, and never trust your classmates - always go to the source.

Funny thing is that the source never said anything when I said I would be there on day shift this week. I checked all my schedules...didn't know another one was handed out because they had an official orientation, but I started the rotation 2 weeks prior (we have different lengths of blocks because of different schools). I guess at least I already asked about my next rotation so I know when to show up next week (and where, which was questionable since I was supposed to be in 2 places at once). Is it really that difficult to schedule these things? And if changes are made to notify everyone in the group?

The other coincidence is that I decided to email to ensure I have all my evals in (with grades) so that I can throw some stuff away. I did that over the weekend not knowing what else was going to happen.

I don't understand all the NIH stuff...are you in DC the entire 4th year then?

Funny thing is that the source never said anything when I said I would be there on day shift this week. I checked all my schedules...didn't know another one was handed out because they had an official orientation, but I started the rotation 2 weeks prior (we have different lengths of blocks because of different schools). I guess at least I already asked about my next rotation so I know when to show up next week (and where, which was questionable since I was supposed to be in 2 places at once). Is it really that difficult to schedule these things? And if changes are made to notify everyone in the group?

The other coincidence is that I decided to email to ensure I have all my evals in (with grades) so that I can throw some stuff away. I did that over the weekend not knowing what else was going to happen.

I don't understand all the NIH stuff...are you in DC the entire 4th year then?
On schedules - my OB/Gyn rotation was in Nov last year. I was in medicine, coming up on Nov 1, and I hadn't heard a thing from the coordinator. I emailed her my site preferences, thinking I must have missed her email.

An hour later my class gets a huge "Priority 1!!!!!11!!" email saying we need to tell the coordinator where we want to go, and we better respond PDQ, or else. :laugh: It's the same everywhere.

Yes, even though it's the same clerkship every month or 2 months, and this is that person's job, yes, it is that hard to schedule things...:rolleyes:

I'll go to the NIH for the year, and then I'll start up MS4, and Match :)xf:) in 2011.

On schedules - my OB/Gyn rotation was in Nov last year. I was in medicine, coming up on Nov 1, and I hadn't heard a thing from the coordinator. I emailed her my site preferences, thinking I must have missed her email.

An hour later my class gets a huge "Priority 1!!!!!11!!" email saying we need to tell the coordinator where we want to go, and we better respond PDQ, or else. :laugh: It's the same everywhere.

Yes, even though it's the same clerkship every month or 2 months, and this is that person's job, yes, it is that hard to schedule things...:rolleyes:

I'll go to the NIH for the year, and then I'll start up MS4, and Match :)xf:) in 2011.

Wow, that's just funny about your obgyn rotation. I figured it's bad everywhere, but it always seems that it is bad for us because we rarely begin rotations when they do, therefore they leave us out of all the info that changes.

So the NIH thing is a year separate from school. Wasn't aware. I was thinking of the NIH scholarship...I guess you are doing NIH research so that would make sense.

We seriously need to find new people to post here.

One more shift left! Then on to my last 2 rotations (FM).

Have to switch back to day schedule after a month of 2nd and 3rd shifts. This is a little rough. Need a longer weekend to get this accomplished. Esp since I have things to do this weekend.

I have come up with 3 things that should be not allowed on TVs in hospitals:

1. Ads for different drugs
2. Ads for the competitor hospitals
3. News reporting the latest disease scare

Any others to add?

Pretty sure the post office is out to get me. Have had 2 things that went in the mail a few weeks ago that haven't arrived at either destination. Both mailed from different locations too (different states). So odd.

So much to do and don't want to do any of it.

Rxn man you need to come back here. And for the rest of the lurkers - POST!!!!!!!!! Even if it's something like +pad+

Rxn man you need to come back here...
Because of a number of recent changes in my life (all good), I am seriously considering a break from SDN.

I still haven't done all of the Matchitis stuff yet. A little thing called Surgery is standing in the way...:mad: