Receiving Secondaries Day after Amcas is Submitted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malaria Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think this is ethical? Seriously!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You'd be surprised how many schools are secondary application ******.

You'd be surprised how many schools are secondary application ******.

Oh so veryyyy true. Let's talk about George Washington etc.

Personally, I think a reasonable secondary application fee is $50-75. Not some of these outrageous $125-130 fees.

Oh so veryyyy true. Let's talk about George Washington etc.

Personally, I think a reasonable secondary application fee is $50-75. Not some of these outrageous $125-130 fees.

it would be nice if secondary screens were more stringent. instead of everyone with a 20+ and 3.0+ getting a secondary, actually read our entire application and screen out some 3.5+, 30+ applicants based on their PS and EC's.

it would be nice if secondary screens were more stringent. instead of everyone with a 20+ and 3.0+ getting a secondary, actually read our entire application and screen out some 3.5+, 30+ applicants based on their PS and EC's.

Yeah, and then these med schools wouldn't be able to pad their bottom line.

Besides some of those 20-29 and 3.0-3.5 applicants that would get screened out would make excellent physicians. Personally I'd rather have the guy who got a 3.2 GPA and a 32 MCAT with a strong upward trend in grades with extended community activity and volunteerism coupled with a genuine passion for helping people.

As opposed to the socially inept 36 MCAT and 3.8 GPA with shady volunteering who did stuff to get into medical school, without regard for anyone else and does not even know how to show empathy or compassion.

Seriously. I feel like Andy Dufresne in Shawshank.

Last edited:
Someone needs to make a list of these lovely schools so we can screen Them out when choosing where to apply.

Someone needs to make a list of these lovely schools so we can screen Them out when choosing where to apply.

Well unfortunately, that means you'd have to screen out a good amount of schools, including plenty of good ones. They may not send you the secondary before you're verified, but there are tons of school that don't screen presecondary.

Well unfortunately, that means you'd have to screen out a good amount of schools, including plenty of good ones. They may not send you the secondary before you're verified, but there are tons of school that don't screen presecondary.

Yup. I believe that a whopping two of my 19 secondaries were post-screen.

Yeah I submitted yesterday and had 3 secondaries sitting in my inbox this morning (GW, BU and univ Arkansas). Seems kind of silly to do it the way they do considering how many apps these schools get

Members don't see this ad :)
I could deal with the sending out secondaries without reading the primary apps but what really pisses me off is paying for a secondary when you really can't add anything to it. Almost like you are paying the college for reading your primary... Im looking at you Mayo, Rochester, Medical College of Wisconsin etc..

Yeah I submitted yesterday and had 3 secondaries sitting in my inbox this morning (GW, BU and univ Arkansas). Seems kind of silly to do it the way they do considering how many apps these schools get

Yeah, and then these med schools wouldn't be able to pad their bottom line.

Besides some of those 20-29 and 3.0-3.5 applicants that would get screened out would make excellent physicians. Personally I'd rather have the guy who got a 3.2 GPA and a 32 MCAT with a strong upward trend in grades with extended community activity and volunteerism coupled with a genuine passion for helping people.

As opposed to the socially inept 36 MCAT and 3.8 GPA with shady volunteering who did stuff to get into medical school, without regard for anyone else and does not even know how to show empathy or compassion.

Out of curiosity, why do so many people assume that high stats and social skills are mutually exclusive? Don't low to average stat, socially inept applicants exist?

its all about the 90+ bucks they want from you.....you can stick it to them and keep your 90 bucks in your pocket or you can play the game and call it a loss........I hate it so much as well, false hopes are not worth 90 bucks.......and they know it full well :rolleyes:

1. Submit primary
2. Get Dartmouth secondary in less than a day
3. Pay $130
4. ???

Dartmouth Adcom
4013%20-%20animated_gif%20barack_obama%20fat_joe%20make_it_rain%20parody.gif

Interesting. I didn't know she studied there.

Checkmate to Franco at Yale and that Harry Potter girl at Brown.

emma watson aka "that Harry Potter girl" is a babe. just thought everyone should know.

O.k. let's get back on track.

Isn't there some sort of advocacy group or a union for downtrodden medical students and medical students to be?

Last edited:
What's next? Medical schools sending secondaries to people who haven't even applied? :laugh:

Last edited:
How is this an issue? It's your responsibility to apply to the schools that you think you have a reasonable shot at. If you do a little bit of introspection, you're not going to be wasting money by a school not screening.

Noob Question: Is a secondary what you send in after they pretty much say " we're interested" ?

To be more correct, it's what you send in after they say "gimme your moneys!"

Noob Question: Is a secondary what you send in after they pretty much say " we're interested" ?

Primary App: "Hi, I'm a premed. I want to go to your school."

Traditional secondary: "Hey, premed. We are interested in you as well. Your numbers and everything else looks pretty good, but we want to know more about you. Can you please fill some of these questions out?"

Present-day secondary: "Give us your ****ing money. You might be ******ed, but we want you to fill these questions out anyways to make you feel like you have a shot. We will decide later if you will make a good fit. Just a heads up, we most likely won't even consider you."