Recent Graduate That Needs Help After Post-Bacc Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siegelbythebay777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from USC as a Human Bio major and applied to multiple Post-Baccs to help enhance my grades. I was denied from all of them and I'm feeling really confused and unconfident about how I will continue to pursue medicine and apply for medical school.

Can someone please recommend things to do during a gap year (besides from EMT and scribe)?
What are the best things to do to help boost my application for applying next cycle?
Should I just take this time off to study for the MCAT at home?

I have a 3.25 GPA with tons of clinical experience, volunteering, and research (officially published 3 times).
Any response would greatly help and I'm really looking for some guidance in this confusing time.

Thank You So Much,
Stressed Siegel

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from USC as a Human Bio major and applied to multiple Post-Baccs to help enhance my grades. I was denied from all of them and I'm feeling really confused and unconfident about how I will continue to pursue medicine and apply for medical school.

Can someone please recommend things to do during a gap year (besides from EMT and scribe)?
What are the best things to do to help boost my application for applying next cycle?
Should I just take this time off to study for the MCAT at home?

I have a 3.25 GPA with tons of clinical experience, volunteering, and research (officially published 3 times).
Any response would greatly help and I'm really looking for some guidance in this confusing time.

Thank You So Much,
Stressed Siegel

You could take time off for the MCAT, but eventually you'd probably want to pursue additional coursework due to your GPA, particularly for MD schools. If you're living in LA, there's always UCLA extension across town. Another option is to enroll at your local public 4 yr college wherever home is as if you were getting a second bachelor's degree. I've seen people do either route which is essentially a DIY post-bac.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree w/ the above poster about a DIY post-bac. You can find info on doing that if you search this site.

A 3.25 is too low. You definitely need to bring it up if you want to apply MD. Regardless, I would make sure to apply to several DO schools as well.

Your gap year should consist of bringing up your grades and studying for the MCAT. Anything else is extra.

Best of luck.