Recommend a man-hobby

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mountain biking is awesome

And smoking/grilling meats on my weber kettle. Cooking with fire more fun than an oven or pan. Now I wanna get a kamado joe or big Green egf
Do Kamado Joe. Service is great. BGE will nickel and dime your to death.

Members don't see this ad.

And smoking/grilling meats on my weber kettle. Cooking with fire more fun than an oven or pan.
Agree. I started out with a Weber kettle smoker. I now have a Green Mountain pellet smoker (Daniel Boone model). 100% wood fueled with none of the headaches.

Outdoor and landscape photography. It works very well with my hiking addiction. I have been deriving great satisfaction from the improvement in my photos and editing abilities. I might even print and frame a few of my sick shots soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cant go wrong with hickory or mesquite

Reactions: 1 user
Apple and cherry wood are always available for chunks and chips. Pecan and peach seem to be not available easily anymore, and alder is hit or miss. As above, mesquite and hickory are always there.

One caveat: if you're not sure, don't get a big bag. One example: oak barrels that were used for Tabasco? We thought that those chips would be great. In a word, not.

• Haha
Recs for gym equipment for weight lifting for a small area? I prob only have a 12x 14 ft area in the garage I can make into a home gym. Already have a rowing machine and treadmill.

Bowflex? Marcy?

Use free-weights or else you're wasting your time. Love the rowing machine though!

Invest in a power rack. With weights, the olympic bar, etc. it's going to be a $1000 all included but it virtually replaces a gym.

Amazon product

Reactions: 2 users
  • Day trading - equities and options. This straddles the line between work and hobby. The Stock MD's blog and cyanide12345678 have inspired me, I feel like this is a good way to get some supplemental income on top of clinical and non-clinical work. I need to progress my FIRE timeline given how the future of EM in the US looks rocky. I'm about to have a NW of zero in a few weeks and I need to buff up to a six month emergency fund then let my taxable account take off.

Absolutely.

Use free-weights or else you're wasting your time. Love the rowing machine though!

Invest in a power rack. With weights, the olympic bar, etc. it's going to be a $1000 all included but it virtually replaces a gym.

Amazon product

I could definitely fit that. Hmm will have to look into it more. Maybe add a bench and free weights and call it good

Too many depressing threads, time for something different.

I need a new man-hobby. I have 4 kids under 7, been cooped up for the better part of a year. Losing my mind and need a man-hobby. Suggestions?

i’m not a man but I took blacksmithing classes through a community ed program. It was fun, pounding metal is a great stress reliever, and it makes for an interesting conversation topic.

Can be hard to do at home if you have neighbors close by but I’ve always done it where some place that gave access to space, equipment, and supplies.

Plus, if the world ever goes to hell you’d be incredibly valuable as someone who can both save lives and make tools and weapons.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I was just thinking of something - why do people fail at beer can chicken? They use cold beer. The heat goes into warming that, so it never evaporates. That in itself is it's own issue, and a guy that rates lump charcoal and associated things, who calls himself "The Naked Whiz" (like Jamie Oliver, "The Naked Chef"), did a study on it, and his data showed that it didn't make a difference. YMMV

Still, this one has worked for us (and I know, because the level of liquid goes down, and it's not spilled).

61fuKuZjTlL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Oh, and as someone not well versed in smoking, electric pellet grills are awesome. Got a traeger about a year ago. Takes away a lot of the mucking around to keep a stable smoking environment

Oh, and as someone not well versed in smoking, electric pellet grills are awesome. Got a traeger about a year ago. Takes away a lot of the mucking around to keep a stable smoking environment
Agree 100%

I gotta jump in here now that pellet grills are being brought up.

Kamado style grill with a temp controller is far, far better than a pellet grill in just about every way. You benefit from a far superior and versatile grill with the ease of use of a pellet grill style controller.

You folks work in a demanding job and went through years of training. You can figure out how to balance two vents and build a damn fire with quality lump charcoal.. Or get a temp controller for a couple hundred bucks and let the thermostat controlled fan do all the work. Either way, it will be better than a pellet grill.

Oh, I was just thinking of something - why do people fail at beer can chicken? They use cold beer. The heat goes into warming that, so it never evaporates. That in itself is it's own issue, and a guy that rates lump charcoal and associated things, who calls himself "The Naked Whiz" (like Jamie Oliver, "The Naked Chef"), did a study on it, and his data showed that it didn't make a difference. YMMV

Still, this one has worked for us (and I know, because the level of liquid goes down, and it's not spilled).

61fuKuZjTlL._AC_SX466_.jpg
I leave the cheap beer on the shelf next to the grill as it comes to temp while I do other prep. I have done it cold and lukewarm but haven't noticed a difference. This is possibly due to using correctly heat soaked ceramics instead of impulsively relying on a dome temp that can be misleading in certain settings. I'm sure you know this but it should be stated that the dome temp can read 350 and yet the dome is cool to the touch. Clearly, the grill isn't optimal for certain cooks because the ceramic isn't ready to produce radiant heat to help cook the food with those findings.

In what way(s)?
More versatile. Can get hotter than 600 degrees. Arguably, wider choice of fuel, as to charcoal and chips. From what I've seen, pellets are pellets are pellets. You get more control.

However, a lot of these can be argued. For me, it's a preference thing, like I prefer BMW to MB, or RAM to GM or Ford. If you can spatchcock chicken and roast asparagus at the same time on your pellet grill, then, you're golden, in my book.

I need a new man-hobby. I have 4 kids under 7, been cooped up for the better part of a year. Losing my mind and need a man-hobby. Suggestions?

Find a spot on google maps that you want to visit. It can be land or sea. Whatever is around you.

Go there.

Target/skeet shooting, boating, learning to ride a motorcycle or fly a plane, or restore an classic car.

I'll throw another hat into the weight training ring. Although I've always been in pretty good cardiovascular health, I started a weight lifting regimen in January after my divorce was finalized. You start to notice results in just a few months and you feel great.

I've also started to increase my long distance running range (up to about 7.5 miles from 5 miles) in preparation for a Spartan race in a few months.

Oh and if you have a spouse/partner that's holding you back personally or professionally, time to cut the dead weight. If COVID taught us anything, it's that life is fragile, and time is limited.

I can recommend reading it. It is hard to imagine a more masculine activity. Theodore Roosevelt was an insatiable reader, as were most of the most remarkable men in history. Reading allows you to connect with great thinkers and writers who have lived throughout history, gives you new ideas, and makes you a more intelligent and well-formed man. If you get a library card, reading can become a completely free hobby :) To choose books to read, you can use the many reference lists.

Last edited:
If you live near the ocean, boating is always a great option. One of the best things I've done in the past year was joining one of the national boat clubs. ~$400/month plus gas and I have access to both center consoles for fishing and dual consoles for just driving around. Especially with the number of weekdays open, I can almost always find an open boat on my days off. Also when you travel you can snag a reciprocity rental from the branch in that area.

Start a blog. I did. It’s something I work on whenever I want. And it takes about 6-8 months for a post to get indexed on google so I can have as much or as little of an impact as I want without worrying about immediate results.

I started writing about medicine finance ideas. But realized I can write just about anything now. I try to stick to things people search though because

Extra bonus: I make about $2/day now in passive income! Not quite influencer money. But it’s awesome to create something outside of traditional medicine and make money from it. Doubly awesome that it’s scaleable.

My "man hobby" may not be that manly and may not work for everyone, but I've gotten into long distance running. It's meditative time alone, no one to bother you, time to zone out to music. Run slow, on the roads, beach, mountains, trails; whatever floats your boat. I run local races like 5K's or longer. I try to beat each previous time and get faster, win my age group, or whatever. It's kind of cool. I enjoy it.

It's not for everyone, but if you have a background in it, and start out very gradually, it's pretty cool once you get it going. All you need is a pair of shoes (headphones optional).

Golf. 18 holes gets you out of the house for 5 hours min.

Not necessarily 5hrs. I don’t know how meditative this would be either ;)

This guy did Mt Rainier up and down in a little over 4 hours, without skis.

The guy has been setting fastest known time records since he was a little kid. VO2 max 92ml/kg/min.

Last edited:
my friend

the answer to your question is the glory of combat. it will nourish you with physical might and spiritual enlightenment. you will sleep excellently every night. you will rise earlier and with more vigor. you will achieve mastery of your emotions.

search around your area for a reputable brazilian jiu jitsu athletic club. attend a class with other beginners. you can continue this activity into your elder years.

muay thai kickboxing is excellent but there is much to risk with chronic traumatic encephalopathy. proceed cautiously.

i wish you ultimate success.

respectfully

masterful

CONAN! WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE? ... To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Here's a man-hobby I recommend: Filming fighter jets as they fly over you while doing hilly bridge repeats, to prepare for Boston Marathon. Wish I could post the video (loud!) Today:

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

Last edited:
A suitable hobby for men is anything that raises our adrenaline.
Fighting, weapons, speed are some types of hobbies suited for every man.
The home-work-home routine kills us from inside, but the hobby we choose must pump the blood through our veins
A lot of us have jobs that induce plenty of adrenaline rushes. Stamp collecting and knitting sound nice

Yeah, this is a really weird necrobump. Not the knitting thing. The "Fighting, weapons, speed are some types of hobbies suited for every man" thing.

The knitting could be interesting. The nonspecific action movie component list just sounds like something an angry teenager would write.

I'm late to the party, but if you're a car guy at all, get a street rod, and do the show circuit.

Nice way to get out of town, cruise the highways, and meet a lot of interesting people.

I rarely talk about this because it's a hobby of mine.

I've had something like this:

and am strongly thinking about one of these:

But for Gawd's sake, don't do the rat rod thing! I hate that trend!

A suitable hobby for men is anything that raises our adrenaline.
Fighting, weapons, speed are some types of hobbies suited for every man.
The home-work-home routine kills us from inside, but the hobby we choose must pump the blood through our veins
Does necro-bumping get the blood pumping through your veins?

I do SCUBA, reading, target shooting, video gaming.

SCUBA is the ultimate way to disconnect for a while. No one to talk to you underwater. I find that it helps to center me, it's legitimately meditative sometimes watching the waves, sunlight, sand, and fish/critters.

It can be both exciting, interesting (looking for cool/rare things or finding new critters and figuring out what the are), and relaxing (floating, listening to nothing but the waves and your bubbles - feel like an astronaut on a spacewalk, especially on a night dive).

Last edited:
Scuba diving.
Not everyone would have the opportunity to practice it, but I really recommend it. I consider it the ultimate hobby.
Don't miss the chance to do it at least once, when you're on vacation, and if you like it, it can be a lifelong hobby.

You know, one lifetime is not enough to visit everything that is on land, which occupies 29% of the earth's surface, but how much time do we need to visit everything that's underwater? I wouldn't want to die until I see at least a part of what is hidden under the water.

On the other hand, scuba diving is neither the cheapest hobby in the world, nor the most expensive, you can see here all expenses related to scuba diving. But believe me, it's worth every penny for what you'll see and what you'll feel when being at least 30 meters underwater.
Agreed. If you're just doing casual open water diving, you can get set up with used stuff, Aqua Lung gear, simple computer for under $1500. Courses up to advanced open water and nitrox might be $750-1000. Insurance $100-200/year. After that it's just getting to the destination and renting tanks/charters. Easily within reach of any physician or healthcare professional.