Recommend a man-hobby

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Private pilot. Nothing like it. I started working on it in my 4th year of med school and got a ton of hours in but was never able to finish it due to starting residency. I just picked it back up. It opens up a whole new world of opportunity when you can get from Point A to Point B in 2 hours instead of 8.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Private pilot. Nothing like it. I started working on it in my 4th year of med school and got a ton of hours in but was never able to finish it due to starting residency. I just picked it back up. It opens up a whole new world of opportunity when you can get from Point A to Point B in 2 hours instead of 8.
I'd love to hear more of the logistics of this and what kind of drive you are specifically cutting from 8h --> 2h, I thought most Cessnas cruise at like ~150MPH which when you combine with driving out to the field and taking off didn't seem to make the numbers that great. Alas, irrelevant for me as I wouldn't get a license for medical reasons.

I've been trying to get into working out at home with some adjustable dumbbells, I don't feel like I've made much progress in 4-5 months but had some buddies visit recently and they asked me what I'd been doing so maybe I have.

Alternatively, get into your local MLB team. Games are on most nights and as a bonus you can just halfway pay attention in the background most of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does necro-bumping get the blood pumping through your veins?

I do SCUBA, reading, target shooting, video gaming.

SCUBA is the ultimate way to disconnect for a while. No one to talk to you underwater. I find that it help to center me, it's legitimately meditative sometimes watching the waves, sunlight, sand, and fish/critters.

It can be both exciting, interesting (looking for cool/rare things or finding new critters and figuring out what the are), and relaxing (floating, listening to nothing but the waves and your bubbles - feel like an astronaut on a spacewalk, especially on a night dive).
Getting myself & my kids SCUBA certified, it's great.

Reactions: 1 users
Private pilot
I'd love to hear more of the logistics of this and what kind of drive you are specifically cutting from 8h --> 2h, I thought most Cessnas cruise at like ~150MPH which when you combine with driving out to the field and taking off didn't seem to make the numbers that great. Alas, irrelevant for me as I wouldn't get a license for medical reasons.
We go to Hilton Head Island for many of our vacations. The drive down is about 8 hours. If we were to fly in a rented Cirrus SR22 (assuming 170 knot cruise) it would take about 2 hours. A rented SR20 would be about 2:20. Of course headwinds, tailwinds, and weather all play a role as well. We would have to drive to the airport (in the direction we'd be going anyway), load the plane, preflight, etc. Maybe add 30-40 minutes to all of it. My wife HATES long road trips, gets too antsy. The sound of cutting travel time by 50-75% is music to her ears.

Reactions: 2 users
Private pilot

We go to Hilton Head Island for many of our vacations. The drive down is about 8 hours. If we were to fly in a rented Cirrus SR22 (assuming 170 knot cruise) it would take about 2 hours. A rented SR20 would be about 2:20. Of course headwinds, tailwinds, and weather all play a role as well. We would have to drive to the airport (in the direction we'd be going anyway), load the plane, preflight, etc. Maybe add 30-40 minutes to all of it. My wife HATES long road trips, gets too antsy. The sound of cutting travel time by 50-75% is music to her ears.
What would renting the Cirrus cost you for the week or so that you're there? Including fuel, hangar fees etc etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Flying is fun, but, for the vast majority of use cases, it's going to be a significantly more expensive way to travel with less certainty and minimal time savings. It rarely works out as a utilitarian investment. There are some situations where you can make a good argument for the utility of flying but most people fly for fun and use some willful negligence in the cost-benefit calculation to justify it.

Rough estimate for rentals are $150/hr for a Cessna up to $650/hr for a newer SR22.

Flying is fun, but, for the vast majority of use cases, it's going to be a significantly more expensive way to travel with less certainty and minimal time savings. It rarely works out as a utilitarian investment. There are some situations where you can make a good argument for the utility of flying but most people fly for fun and use some willful negligence in the cost-benefit calculation to justify it.

Rough estimate for rentals are $150/hr for a Cessna up to $650/hr for a newer SR22.
Yeah, that's sort of what I figured. So on the cheapy cheap, you're looking at at least $600 for the rental (2 hrs each way), plus fuel and whatever other fees there are. Upper end more like $2600 + fees.

Also a pilot.

Get-there-itis is a huge contributor to accidents as well. Not worth it to save 4 hours if you wind up as a fireball on a mountainside.

What would renting the Cirrus cost you for the week or so that you're there? Including fuel, hangar fees etc etc.
My flight club just bought a SR20 G3 that rents for $195/hr wet (ie includes fuel). I'm new to the club and not sure yet what the rules are going to be yet for long term rentals. Generally speaking, they charge a minimum of 1.5 hours per day if you are gone for more than 3 days. A 7 day trip is not something we would do, but for overnighters or even 2-3 day trips there's definitely an upside and can open up a lot of options for exploring places you wouldn't otherwise likely get to due to the distance. It's not something I'd recommend just to save time though. As hoot504 said, get-there-itis causes a lot of general aviation crashes so for longer trips you have to have time and be willing to push your return trip forward or back to accommodate bad weather.

For $100 dollar hamburger runs, day trips to the beach, overnighters to *insert your destination of choice here* when the forecast looks good, it's hard to beat and is fun if nothing else. Just have to plan ahead and make sure you understand any potential incoming weather and what it means. Have a low threshold for canceling if you have doubts and know that complacency can kill you and your family.

I agree and disagree. There can be a considerable time savings if planned correctly and when using a capable airplane in the right conditions, but yeah you're going to pay for that convenience. I do not even take into consideration the cost-benefit of it. It costs much more than traveling by car and there's no way of getting around it. I fly because there's nothing like it and that's the main draw for me. It's an expensive, weather dependent hobby. If someone is getting their pilots license for any other reason than they just love to fly, I'd discourage it.

Side note: my club also has a 2017 Tecnam P2010 (4 seater) that rents for $140/hr and (for now) could take my small family to the next state at 140mph and shave off +50% of the driving time to visit the inlaws.

56 oz bone-in ribeye just went on the smoker. Mesquite, bitchez

IMG_3040.jpeg

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree and disagree. There can be a considerable time savings if planned correctly and when using a capable airplane in the right conditions, but yeah you're going to pay for that convenience. I do not even take into consideration the cost-benefit of it. It costs much more than traveling by car and there's no way of getting around it. I fly because there's nothing like it and that's the main draw for me. It's an expensive, weather dependent hobby. If someone is getting their pilots license for any other reason than they just love to fly, I'd discourage it.

Side note: my club also has a 2017 Tecnam P2010 (4 seater) that rents for $140/hr and (for now) could take my small family to the next state at 140mph and shave off +50% of the driving time to visit the inlaws.

I'm working on my private pilot certificate right now, second year attending. I'm doing it because it's fun to fly and a unique challenge and it has just sounded interesting for many years and now I finally have the means. In the short term, it'll be putting around nearby states and $100 hamburgers, long term I'd love something like an SR22 but will more likely try and build something like an RV-10, or maybe move out west and get/build a kitfox. I don't think anyone who is honest with themselves would say flying is cheaper, but it sure is fun. Making room for it as a long-term hobby in my FIRE number has been a less fun realization...

Man hobby: Travel to exotic locations

Picture during morning run on Jost VanDyke, British Virgin Islands

IMG_3114.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
How are the british islands compared to the us islands?
The only part of BVI I’ve seen is this 3 square mile island called Jost Vandyke and it’s been great. But from what little I’ve seen, compared to USVI, British Virgin Islands have been better. The official currency here is the US dollar, which surprised me. Still need a passport, though.

Man Hobby: Hiking

Climbed from sea level, 2 miles and 1,000 feet to the top of the island (Jost Vandyke, BVI( today. You can see St. John (U.S. Virgin Islands) in the background. Also, many catamaran boats in Great Harbor, in the foreground.

IMG_3252.jpeg

Last edited:
Assembled a computer. Nothing too fancy, but was kinda intimidated by the whole thing. Really happy that it works. So much better than my 5 year old laptop.

Assembled a computer. Nothing too fancy, but was kinda intimidated by the whole thing. Really happy that it works. So much better than my 5 year old laptop.
Congrats! I've been building my own PC since I was a kid (nerd alert) and I still get slightly trepidatious when powering a new build up for the first time. Just makes it all the more satisfying though when it eventually works.

Man Hobby: Hiking

Climbed from sea level, 2 miles and 1,000 feet to the top of the island (Jost Vandyke, BVI( today. You can see St. John (U.S. Virgin Islands) in the background. Also, many catamaran boats in Great Harbor, in the foreground.

View attachment 373213

BVI def better than USVI.

Been to JVD and others in the chain on a sailing trip.

The nice hotels in BVI are expensiveeeee.

Beautiful though. I'll be back.

I went to St John on a recommendation from one of you guys and loved it. We didn't have a passport at the time for my kid so we couldn't go the to bvi and was wondering about it. Looks really nice.

• Love
Man hobby: Travel to exotic locations

Picture during morning run on Jost VanDyke, British Virgin Islands

View attachment 373168

You should check out St. John, USVI. I often head over to JVD for the day sometimes. We go to St. John every year. Most of the island is a state park so if trail running is your thing, you'd have fun as long as you can handle the elevation change. Gorgeous beaches. Although I love JVD, there's only 3-4 beaches if I recall. Your best trail run on St. John would be Ram's Head.

PS, I'm the one that helped talk GassYous into St. John, lol. If you ever decide to do a trip to St. John, hit me up and I can give you all my recs and suggest a vacation itinerary. I've been going to the island my entire life since I was a child.

Last edited:
  • Love
I went to St John on a recommendation from one of you guys and loved it. We didn't have a passport at the time for my kid so we couldn't go the to bvi and was wondering about it. Looks really nice.
The BVI charters are awesome. Traditionally, the best one was done by the Bad Kitty 1&2 with Calypso charters. They'd make a whole day of it with Virgin Gorda, soggy dollar bar at JVD, snorkeling, etc.. Then COVID hit and it was more difficult to travel between USVI and BVI, so they stopped which was a huge bummer. I just checked their website Home - Bad Kitty & Calypso Charters - St. John, USVI and it looks like they are doing the BVI charters again which I STRONGLY recommend if you guys head back. It's so much fun. We're going back next Feb and will prob plan on chartering it again.

Here's the trip description from their website:

The Trip

Our first stop is Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda BVI, where we clear customs (all guests MUST have valid passports to enter the BVI). Next stop is The Baths, a unique geological formation on the southern tip of Virgin Gorda. Our crew will guide you on a short 50 yard swim to shore (conditions permitting) and a hike through the interesting grottos and granite boulders of The Baths, providing interesting history along the way. No need to worry if swimming is not your thing. Our experienced crew will be there to assist non-swimmers. Noodles and other flotation devices are always available. Next is snorkeling in sparkling clear waters near Norman Island. You will explore either The Caves, The Indians, or the Aquarium near Norman Island (the captain picks the destination) based on water conditions. Norman Island is famous for inspiring Robert Louis Stevenson’s book Treasure Island. It is home to incredible reef systems that are only accessible by boat. Our expert crew will be with you to make sure you are safe at all times and help you identify the “treasures” of the sea. Our final stop, White Bay on Jost Van ****, will have several lunch options on the beach. White Bay is the home of the Soggy Dollar Bar, a classic Caribbean beach bar famous for their “Pain Killer” cocktails. Stroll the beach and discover why White Bay is consistently voted one of the BEST beaches in the Caribbean – a perfect last stop in the BVI!

-Please note that this tour requires a total of 15 people to run the tour.

Here's a photo of the Baths at Virgin Gorda:
10904619_10153058594238734_1211121024145322922_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I worked there for a month and have traveled all over the USVI and BVI on vacation.

Definitely agree with the above posts and highly recommend stopping by St John.

Saint John.jpeg

• Love
The BVI charters are awesome. Traditionally, the best one was done by the Bad Kitty 1&2 with Calypso charters. They'd make a whole day of it with Virgin Gorda, soggy dollar bar at JVD, snorkeling, etc.. Then COVID hit and it was more difficult to travel between USVI and BVI, so they stopped which was a huge bummer. I just checked their website Home - Bad Kitty & Calypso Charters - St. John, USVI and it looks like they are doing the BVI charters again which I STRONGLY recommend if you guys head back. It's so much fun. We're going back next Feb and will prob plan on chartering it again.

The Trip

Our first stop is Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda BVI, where we clear customs (all guests MUST have valid passports to enter the BVI). Next stop is The Baths, a unique geological formation on the southern tip of Virgin Gorda. Our crew will guide you on a short 50 yard swim to shore (conditions permitting) and a hike through the interesting grottos and granite boulders of The Baths, providing interesting history along the way. No need to worry if swimming is not your thing. Our experienced crew will be there to assist non-swimmers. Noodles and other flotation devices are always available. Next is snorkeling in sparkling clear waters near Norman Island. You will explore either The Caves, The Indians, or the Aquarium near Norman Island (the captain picks the destination) based on water conditions. Norman Island is famous for inspiring Robert Louis Stevenson’s book Treasure Island. It is home to incredible reef systems that are only accessible by boat. Our expert crew will be with you to make sure you are safe at all times and help you identify the “treasures” of the sea. Our final stop, White Bay on Jost Van ****, will have several lunch options on the beach. White Bay is the home of the Soggy Dollar Bar, a classic Caribbean beach bar famous for their “Pain Killer” cocktails. Stroll the beach and discover why White Bay is consistently voted one of the BEST beaches in the Caribbean – a perfect last stop in the BVI!

View attachment 373232
I saw Bad Kitty! They were anchored here every day. lol. Awesome. I didn’t see a single unhappy face come off or get on that boat.

You should check out St. John, USVI.
I went to St John one time as a brief stop on a catamaran day-cruise. It was great. We stayed on Jost this time, precisely because there isn’t much to do but soak up sun, decompress and relax, repeat. But I definitely would like to do a longer stay on St John and if so, I’ll hit you up. Thanks, man!

The Trip

View attachment 373232

The baths are awesome.

Just be aware you need to be a fairly strong swimmer to be able to access.

Landscaping.

You can shape the earth around you and what you see every day. So many possibilities of what to plant. Recently put in a 10 foot tree in a really challenging spot.

Will be putting in a skipping stone path soon and maybe some other light hardscaping stuff.

Best of all, it's a good workout and if you mess up...not a huge deal (unlike larger home improvement projects) and can be easily fixed.

Add me to the landscaping crowd. Specifically xeriscaping and conversation of a plot of land. Dirt on your hands, cuts on your arms, sweat on your forehead and sore muscles at the end of the day are all oddly satisfying.

I hear people are charging ridiculous prices these days. like 80-100k just for flattening some downsloping land.

Anyone a sailer? Ive taken ASA 101, prob knock out 103,104,105 this fall/winter. Debating entering the first leg of the race to Alaska for funsies next year with a buddy. Hopefully we dont end up on the news.

Anyone a sailer? Ive taken ASA 101, prob knock out 103,104,105 this fall/winter. Debating entering the first leg of the race to Alaska for funsies next year with a buddy. Hopefully we dont end up on the news.

Will there be cocaine, guns, and hookers like in that other article?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I am. I highly recommend it but also, don't overestimate your skills. I have seen many people try to hang with the big dogs just because they have good equipment and get themselves into seriously unsafe situations. It's also annoying to rescue someone in these situations while trying to race because ethically and by rules you have to even if they did it to themselves.

I am. I highly recommend it but also, don't overestimate your skills. I have seen many people try to hang with the big dogs just because they have good equipment and get themselves into seriously unsafe situations. It's also annoying to rescue someone in these situations while trying to race because ethically and by rules you have to even if they did it to themselves.
Aye, definitely gonna practice and not do anything crazy, if we do the race were just doing the first leg from port townsend to victoria. R2AK is a mix of canoes, kayaks, sailboats, rowboats and heck even a standup paddleboarder did it last year. Anythint wind or man powered is pretty much a go. So its not too hardcore of a “sailing” race.

Kinda reminds me of work.

• Haha
  • Love
It's starting to be that time...

Smokehouse Summer Vibe

tempImageyg119a.png
IMG_0751.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'm dumb and I do dumb things, so I've decided to run my first marathon and target a BQ.

Oh, yeah, I got 1 minute off the BQ for old folks – 3:21 in Auckland.

Was doing well in training for a second attempt when injuries snowballed to the point of being intolerable, will have to heal up and try another cycle.

Doing wood projects for computers.
Build a desk, now building a set of drawers with a shelf for the computer.
IMG_0462.jpeg

Need to build the drawer boxes and the drawer faces. Hopefully by next week.

For the lazy among us Amazon has some great woodworking kits where they send you the precut pieces and you just drill and assemble them. Can be done in an afternoon with just an hammer and a power drill but still very satisfying.

I did these little planters last weekend then planted some vines in them. Hopefully they’ll grow up into the rack on the roof then we can enter our house through a vine tunnel 😎
IMG_9378.jpeg

IMG_9381.jpeg

Made more model "tanks" (these are actually self-propelled anti-aircraft guns, but hey they have tracks and guns its a tank!)

The first is a ZSU-23/4 relic at an outdoor museum in Hanoi (I posted the source photo I used for the rust/paint/etc), the other is an M42 Duster from the American side of the conflict.

Attachments

• image (5).png
    image (5).png
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 404334739_1052456789190542_2155785413621304406_n.jpg
    404334739_1052456789190542_2155785413621304406_n.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image (4).png
    image (4).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • image (6).png
    image (6).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 417431786_886338103292313_2502393331194408125_n.jpg
    417431786_886338103292313_2502393331194408125_n.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 429966287_1109920963444124_5418056085548640741_n.jpg
    429966287_1109920963444124_5418056085548640741_n.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 13

Was doing well in training for a second attempt when injuries snowballed to the point of being intolerable, will have to heal up and try another cycle.
If you get that BQ, are you going to run it?

What's a "BQ"?

Burger Queen? Is that like the Kiwi version of Burger King?