MD & DO Record Omission - Did I Torpedo My Residency App?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheattoss

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're probably in Wisconsin? If it's something in the traffic system that doesn't show up as a misdemeanor or felony, then I'm guessing you won't have to mention it since it explicitly asks you about misdemeanor and felony convictions, which this is not. You can double check with a lawyer if you are concerned. If all goes well, consider yourself lucky and make sure to never make this mistake again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's usually never the crime...it's the coverup

Reactions: 1 users
It's usually never the crime...it's the coverup

What do you mean? Is this considered a cover up? That was my question originally. I don't want to come off as deceptive or misleading, but based on advice given before applying I was told it wouldn't be an issue for licensing and to just answer 'No'. I guess I'm just having a 'second wind' of anxiety/fear thinking about it again.

If it's not a misdemeanor, you don't have to report it.

It's possible it will cause some license problems, but usually not. Training licenses are usually not a problem, since you're supervised.

My advice would have been to report it on ERAS, so you wouldn't worry about it. But what's done is done.

A middle ground is to disclose it at/after interviews, apologize.

If it's not a misdemeanor, you don't have to report it.

It's possible it will cause some license problems, but usually not. Training licenses are usually not a problem, since you're supervised.

My advice would have been to report it on ERAS, so you wouldn't worry about it. But what's done is done.

A middle ground is to disclose it at/after interviews, apologize.

Thank you for the reply and advice! I will absolutely take your middle ground suggestion.

I would just talk to your dean and advisor about getting a letter stating that you came to them for advice on how to maneuver the situation in ERAS, especially since you plan on telling them after the match. This way it'll show you sought out guidance and wasn't trying to be deceitful in any way. May or may not help, but it never hurts to cover your ass

I would just talk to your dean and advisor about getting a letter stating that you came to them for advice on how to maneuver the situation in ERAS, especially since you plan on telling them after the match. This way it'll show you sought out guidance and wasn't trying to be deceitful in any way. May or may not help, but it never hurts to cover your ass
This will not be helpful. You are responsible for your decisions, not someone else. You are an adult. Blaming it on someone else will only dig any hole deeper.

Reactions: 3 users
This will not be helpful. You are responsible for your decisions, not someone else. You are an adult. Blaming it on someone else will only dig any hole deeper.

Yeah... an adult that wasn’t sure about the legality and variability of semantics and sought guidance from his superiors. I never said he should blame them, I said it would be showing he sought help when needed and was in no trying to hide or be deceitful. he is still responsible for his actions, but it gives much more perspective to an obvious gray area considering variance of state laws and classification of the issue in question.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah... an adult that wasn’t sure about the legality and variability of semantics and sought guidance from his superiors. I never said he should blame them, I said it would be showing he sought help when needed and was in no trying to hide or be deceitful. he is still responsible for his actions, but it gives much more perspective to an obvious gray area considering variance of state laws and classification of the issue in question.

This is why speaking with a lawyer would be a very wise investment at this time.

This is why speaking with a lawyer would be a very wise investment at this time.
I agree, but if I asked my dean and faculty advisor and received the same answer, I probably would’ve followed that advice. I’m not sayin he should completely absolve himself of fault. But you should at least be ready to show why you did something the way you did..

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, but if I asked my dean and faculty advisor and received the same answer, I probably would’ve followed that advice. I’m not sayin he should completely absolve himself of fault. But you should at least be ready to show why you did something the way you did..

That's true. Interestingly, most times when people go to court, they attempt to reduce or absolve themselves of what had occurred. I would imagine that anyone, whether in college, medical school, or beyond (or anyone at all!) would attempt to do the same. Also, navigating within the legal guidelines as the OP is trying to do is in no way unethical. The OP is lucky they were in a state that has such a lenient first-time offense for a DUI. I have friends who are lawyers back in Chicago, and they either try to plead a first-time DUI offense down to reckless driving, or do their best to have evidence dismissed. From what I remember, Wisconsin has a pretty generous policy for first-time DUIs.

I'm not directing anything at you, just in general.

@aProgDirector
I made a correction in a sentence in my personal statement weeks after sending my application. I’m of the understanding that programs no longer download applications, but look at them as they are on their portal. What trouble can i expect to run into?
How far do programs really read into personal statements? Who sifts through 3000 personal statements?

We read all personal statements. But we don't re-read them (although it may get re-read at the time of the interview by someone, esp the people who are interviewing you).

@aProgDirector thanks. I guess i’m pretty screwed. Unless i’m fortunate somehow and most programs just hadn’t gotten to my application before I edited it. I’m an FMG (for context). I assume program look through AMG applications first, then US IMGs, then FMGs? I am saddened that this could be what puts a hole in my otherwise good boat.

@aProgDirector thanks. I guess i’m pretty screwed. Unless i’m fortunate somehow and most programs just hadn’t gotten to my application before I edited it. I’m an FMG (for context). I assume program look through AMG applications first, then US IMGs, then FMGs? I am saddened that this could be what puts a hole in my otherwise good boat.
*Programs