Recruiting for Premiere Science Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marquis_Phoenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my fellow undergraduate students,

The Journal of Youth Investigators, undergraduate peer-reviewed science journal that I work and write for, is currently undergoing a massive expansion to 150 staff members (www.jyi.org). We're hiring science journalists to write one 200-400 word news brief every week or one 800 word feature every month. It can be in any area of science that you want. We'll also train you how to research, write and interview for the pieces.

Your benefits: 1) Networking with the professors (perhaps even Nobel Laureates) that you interview for the pieces, 2) Improving your writing skills and having your work published, 3) Working for a credible organization always good on the resume. If you're interested, or anybody else that you might know of is interested, here's the link for the application: http://www.jyi.org/participate.php?posn_id=3. Feel free to browse around the site as well. There are also other positions available in public relations, finance and web design.

JYI has been around for 10 years and is sponsored by four top undergraduate American universities including Baylor and Duke, the National Science Foundation as well as the peer-reviewed journal Science. We are arguably the #1 undergraduate science journal in the world. Our editors have won Rhodes Scholarships. It's a wonderful opportunity to meet and work with the best and brightest students from across the US and keep up to date with the latest science firsthand from professors.

Feel free to PM me, if you have any further questions. Also, if you could forward this email to any interested parties, that would also be greatly appreciated.

Just to pass this on to you guys.

Cheers.

Addendum: There are other positions available as well in public relations, etc.: http://www.jyi.org/participate.php

Members don't see this ad.

Addendum:

A medical school degree is still considered an undergraduate degree.

While the preferences is for undergraduates, I think that others could be assessed on a case by case basis, since we do have graduates (non-undergraduates) working on our team.

The website may be down from time to time, but here are the application instructions.

Application Instructions
Your application must include everything that is outlined below. Additional information and supplementary materials are welcomed.

See available positions
Submit completed applications, including letters of recommendation, to [email protected]. Please address all correspondence to Mr. Michael Troxel, Director of Human Resources.

Cover Letter
In your cover letter, please address the following:

* What position are you applying for? (e.g., Associate Editor in the Physical Sciences and Mathematics Division)
* Why would you like to be a part of JYI?
* How did you first learn of JYI?
* What is your area of expertise in science (e.g., immunology, topology, etc.)
* What are your current career goals and plans? How does JYI fit in with those?
* If you are applying for an Associate Editor position, please also include the name of your proposed Faculty Advisor*

Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Please include the following in your resume/curriculum vitae:

* General Information:
o Full name
o E-mail address
o Phone number
o Street address
* Educational Information:
o College or University
o Expected date of graduation
o Major(s) and Minor(s)
o GPA
o Current academic year
* Research and Work Experiences (for each, please include the following):
o Institution or Company
o Program, if applicable (e.g., NSF REU in Electrical Engineering)
o PI/Mentor/Supervisor
o Dates (i.e., May 2003-August 2003)
o Approximate hours per week
o Subject/title/statement describing purpose of work
o Brief description of actual work done (techniques performed, responsibilities, etc.)
o Publications, presentations, posters (if any): authors, title, format (abstract/poster/paper/etc.), where presented (journal/conference/etc.), date
* Honors and Awards
o Type of award or honor
o Date
* Extracurricular Activities
o Dates involved
o Positions held
o Any significant experience that might benefit you at JYI (e.g., writing, communicating science to the public, fundraising, public relations, general leadership, etc.)

Additional Requirements for Board of Directors Positions
In the case of students applying for Board of Directors (BOD) positions, two letters of recommendation are required. These documents will aid the decision-making process by demonstrating the applicant's ability to speak to professors, administrators, and other professionals in a manner similar to what is required of BOD members. All prospective BOD members will be interviewed by at least two members of the current BOD. Due to geographic constraints, most interviews will be conducted over the phone, but face-to-face interviews will be conducted whenever possible.

Proof of Enrollment
In order to ensure that applicants are undergraduates at the time of application, we ask that you provide a recent transcript, or if you have no transcript, another proof of enrollment, from your university registrar?s office. If you are unable to secure some proof of enrollment from your university registrar?s office, please note this in your application and we will work with you to find a suitable replacement. In addition to some proof of enrollment, you should include the below signed statement.

You may include a scanned copy of your transcript or other proof of enrollment and the below signed statement when you email your applications materials. If you are unable to scan copies of the documents or would prefer not to, a fax number or physical address will be provided during the interview process to which you can send the two.

I, the undersigned, hereby affirm that at the time of my application to JYI, I am enrolled as an undergraduate student at _______________________ (your university). I further agree that it is my sole responsibility to inform the Director of Human Resources of JYI immediately should my status as an undergraduate student change.

_______________________ (Print Name) ______________________________ (Sign Name)

See available positions
* While we do not require that our Science Journalists work with faculty advisors, we strongly suggest that Science Journalists establish an advisory relationship with a faculty member at their institution. Science Journalist faculty mentors should possess experience in writing about science for broad and/or specialized audiences, and an interest in improving the communication of science.

Status
Not open for further replies.