Reducing Sugars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Utes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I keep missing questions like: "Identify the reducing sugar". What makes a sugar a reducing sugar? Could someone help me out so I know what to look for?

Thanks!

Utes

Members don't see this ad.

Utes said:
Hey SDN,

I keep missing questions like: "Identify the reducing sugar". What makes a sugar a reducing sugar? Could someone help me out so I know what to look for?

Thanks!

Utes

If a sugar can get oxidized by an oxidizing agent (e.g. Benedict's agent) it's reducing....Be careful, some sugars are isomerized to a reducing sugar by a series of t-shifts....and are therefore reducing...

A reducing sugar is one that can attatch another sugar molecule (glucose etc.) Therefore you have to look at the anomeric carbon (carbon 1) which is usually right after the O in the ring and see if there is a OH there. IF so it is a reducing sugar. If you look at the structure of sucrose you can see that it isn't a reducing sugar

hope that helps

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate your help. That makes a lot more sense now. We didn't go over this in my O-Chem class and I didn't see it in the Kaplan book. Thanks for your help.

Utes

Members don't see this ad :)
ddsnp said:
A reducing sugar is one that can attatch another sugar molecule (glucose etc.) Therefore you have to look at the anomeric carbon (carbon 1) which is usually right after the O in the ring and see if there is a OH there. IF so it is a reducing sugar. If you look at the structure of sucrose you can see that it isn't a reducing sugar

hope that helps

not so much about attachment but ability to get oxidized...Some monomers are reducing in their monomeric state...

dat_student said:
not so much about attachment but ability to get oxidized...Some monomers are reducing in their monomeric state...

my bad but you get the point

does anyone know what has a ferromagnetic domain i really don't even know what it is.

ddsnp said:
does anyone know what has a ferromagnetic domain i really don't even know what it is.
do you have AOL? If you do add me to your buddy list..your questions are advance..

Utes said:
Thanks for the responses! I appreciate your help. That makes a lot more sense now. We didn't go over this in my O-Chem class and I didn't see it in the Kaplan book. Thanks for your help.

Utes

This stuff belongs to biochem (an upper level course) and will not come out in the DAT per syllabus outlined by the ADA. It'll be good for you learn this ahead of time though since you are going to revisit it during the first year of your dental program.

That's true. I had a nice question which required a somewhat advanced knowledge of the chemistry of sugars. However, I wouldn't count on any too complex biochem questions.

Utes said:

Utes
Maybe you should've gone to a real university...j/k.