Referrals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pain Applicant1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many referral sources do you think you need to keep busy? How many referrals per day do you think is sufficient to survive or to keep busy?

I'm getting about 5 or so referrals per day on average and I would estimate that 70% come from one PCP group of about 7 providers. I have very little to compare to since there are very few start up pain practices out there that I'm aware of.

Members don't see this ad.

How many referral sources do you think you need to keep busy? How many referrals per day do you think is sufficient to survive or to keep busy?

I'm getting about 5 or so referrals per day on average and I would estimate that 70% come from one PCP group of about 7 providers. I have very little to compare to since there are very few start up pain practices out there that I'm aware of.

you can never have to many referrals sources, because one day they may decide they dont like you much. iF you have seven, then if one leaves you lose like 15% of your business...

try to have 20 good ones that each send you some... i had 20, now i have less, and while it is fine, you never know. just lost a "dedicated one" recently to BS...(under the table stuff, in my opinion...)

beware.

Your satisfied patients will be far better referral sources. People talk. When you start seeing entire families...spouses, children, in-laws and the like, you know you've made it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your satisfied patients will be far better referral sources. People talk. When you start seeing entire families...spouses, children, in-laws and the like, you know you've made it.
nothing truer than this. In fact, fam members will ask their PCPs to send them to you. This is how I get my referrals from outside my hospital system.

I have over 20 referral sources in my office, and probably get referrals regularly from 40+ docs outside my office, irregularly from another 40-50.

I see a dozen or so new patients per week, and that keeps me full most of the time. If my schedule is not full enough, we open more new pt visits.

nothing truer than this. In fact, fam members will ask their PCPs to send them to you. This is how I get my referrals from outside my hospital system.

i get a lot of spouses, and family members, but often they are NUTS... or the physician referred patient is NUTS but the spouse is normal. Just a lot of crazies out there everywehre...

5 referrals per day is just fine to keep you humming along for a long time...

however, you really need to diversify your referral portfolio - you need to introduce yourself to more groups, more practices, kiss babies, shake hands, do the whole political dance.... because depending on one group for 70% of your referrals is a recipe for disaster on so many different levels...

5 referrals per day is just fine to keep you humming along for a long time...

however, you really need to diversify your referral portfolio - you need to introduce yourself to more groups, more practices, kiss babies, shake hands, do the whole political dance.... because depending on one group for 70% of your referrals is a recipe for disaster on so many different levels...

1+

And all the more so in view of recent events.