regarding to 1st semester chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking chemistry next semester, and I am just curious as to what sort of stuff I will probably learn from the first semester of chemistry. Would it be wise for me to already have memorized all the elements, including their atomic mass? Also, what do you guys wish that you would have known prior to taking chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be taking chemistry next semester, and I am just curious as to what sort of stuff I will probably learn from the first semester of chemistry. Would it be wise for me to already have memorized all the elements, including their atomic mass? Also, what do you guys wish that you would have known prior to taking chemistry?

Don't bother. Go have a beer. Gen Chem is hardly the beast that you have to worry about.

lol, no you definitely don't need to memorize all the elements and their atomic masses! General chem is fairly straightforward.

Take the advice of the person above me. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

I think most professors will let you reference a periodic table during your exams. ... Memorizing all the elements and their atomic mass number would be a ridiculously huge waste of time.

chem I was all about trends and patterns. How bonds are formed based on its electron configuration and how molecules take on different shapes, and stuff like how electronegativity, ionization energy, atomic radius is affected by its valency. All straight forward stuff and nothing to stress over.

What is the most difficult thing to learn in chemistry class, semester 1? and while we are on the subject, what is the hardest thing in chemistry 2nd semester?

all i know is, acid - base in semester 2 was a pain. 1st semester wasn't too bad. everything was straight forward, and if you do the assignments and readings, you'll be fine.

What is the most difficult thing to learn in chemistry class, semester 1? and while we are on the subject, what is the hardest thing in chemistry 2nd semester?

Nothing, if you have half a brain and a decent work ethic you will do more then fine. Chemistry is not hard just keep up with the work and get help whhen you need it. Chemistry is staight forward makes sence, its only as hard as you make it. The word chemistry envokes fear into some people much like calculus. If a life of scienc is right for you, there will be no problem. And remember don't forget to drink beer, score, and watch basketball. Don't take this so seriously its only life and you only get one. The last thing you need to worry about is memorizing elements(by the way you won't have to do that unless you go to Grad School for chem). Did I mention drink beer.

I think most professors will let you reference a periodic table during your exams. ... Memorizing all the elements and their atomic mass number would be a ridiculously huge waste of time.

In your first semester you will learn electron configuration, and some charts have that on them. That is the only time I restricted to using a certain type of chart.

Gen Chem is a walk in the park compared to some other stuff you're going to face...when you get to Orgo then you might have a valid argument...lol...just be easy, it's easier than you think

Agree with all of the previous responses. Put in the work and you'll be fine. However, don't try to slack off.

dont waste your time memorizing atomic mass, thats what the periodic table is for.

dont waste your time memorizing atomic mass, thats what the periodic table is for.

Agreed, by the end of the semester you will know most of the "common" ones. I took gen chem I over a year and a half ago...I still amaze myself with the mass'.

To the OP, just do lots of practice problems! If you don't understand...don't be afraid to ask.

Gen chem II is a bit tougher...but by then, you should have the study skills to see yourself through it.

Good luck!