Regional Anesthesia Workshop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psu07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to improve my regional anesthesia skills and was hoping to get some input in terms of any good regional anesthesia workshops you guys would recommend? I'd like to learn some of the newer blocks, specifically truncal blocks. Looking forward to hearing your guys suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve only heard of CRNAs going to “weekend workshops”

Sigh, come on guys are we really making fun of a colleague wanting to expand his or her skill base? Posters on SDN all claim to be regional masters who have no issues with erector spinae, PECS 1/2, lumbar plexus, paravertebrals and the like. Good for you guys if this is true, but it’s not the case nationally and I don’t think that reflects all that poorly on training.

I’m doing a cardiac fellowship with zero regional (some thoracic epidurals), a weekend course would be an awesome way to get CMEs and learn some new tricks as I’ll be doing plenty of ortho/regional at my job. I can tell you none of my cofellows would be comfortable doing the blocks I listed above. YouTube is an option for sure (really, NYSORA website), but I don’t fault anyone for wanting an actual hands-on course.

Well, that’s false.

ASRA puts on regional workshops worth investigating, as does NYSORA.

Reactions: 1 users
Sigh, come on guys are we really making fun of a colleague wanting to expand his or her skill base?

yeah, wtf is up with some of the guys on here??

sorry I don't have any recommendations but I also wouldn't mind hearing about any good workshops

Dude ... don't do that.

Workshops are part of every major conference put on by ASA, SCA, and others. There is nothing wrong with attending a workshop.

The problem you identify with weekend workshops is the person who goes and learns the monkey skills to move the needle, without having the education, training, and medical knowledge to have mastery of the indications, contraindications, risk:benefit subtleties, complication anticipation avoidance & management, follow-up care, etc. Presumably the OP is a residency trained physician who deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Lately this forum has seen a rash of **** being dished out to people asking questions. Let's not do that.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a board certified anesthesiologist. I would just like to hear about new techniques and/or improve and learn new skills. No need to bash me for trying to improve the care I give to my patients.

Sigh, come on guys are we really making fun of a colleague wanting to expand his or her skill base? Posters on SDN all claim to be regional masters who have no issues with erector spinae, PECS 1/2, lumbar plexus, paravertebrals and the like. Good for you guys if this is true, but it’s not the case nationally and I don’t think that reflects all that poorly on training.

I’m doing a cardiac fellowship with zero regional (some thoracic epidurals), a weekend course would be an awesome way to get CMEs and learn some new tricks as I’ll be doing plenty of ortho/regional at my job. I can tell you none of my cofellows would be comfortable doing the blocks I listed above. YouTube is an option for sure (really, NYSORA website), but I don’t fault anyone for wanting an actual hands-on course.

Well, that’s false.

ASRA puts on regional workshops worth investigating, as does NYSORA.
Love the NYSORA website. Has some really excellent information. It's very thorough. One of my attendings (army vet) told me about a government website with thorough PDFs that go into detail about different blocks. I'll ask him and get back here to share the website.

There is a website called www.blockjocks.com I believe it is $169 a year to join and has tons of videos that walk you through every block from setup to injection. Really excellent body of work.

good luck