-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Regis University 2011 Applicants
Started by nnnn32125
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I figured i would start this thread for anyone interested in Regis University and had any questions. I'll try to answer them as best as i can, or at least point you in the right direction 😛
Just wondering when they began sending out interview invites last year?
Thanks
Just wondering when they began sending out interview invites last year?
Thanks
February through April 2011: Prior to acceptance, all qualified applicants will be required to interview on the Regis University campus. Interviews will be conducted from February through April.
That's a direct quote from the Regis Pharmacy website. You can view it at http://www.regis.edu/rh.asp?page=study.pharm.admproc for more information.
They usually do interviews on Fridays and Saturdays
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received an interview invite! Anyone else interviewing on 12/3?
The fact that the airport is so far from the school is going to be a little troublesome. The logistics of this will be interesting.
The fact that the airport is so far from the school is going to be a little troublesome. The logistics of this will be interesting.
I just received an interview invite! Anyone else interviewing on 12/3?
The fact that the airport is so far from the school is going to be a little troublesome. The logistics of this will be interesting.
Are you not planning on renting a car? I would get a hotel near to the school and ride the bus out there.
Are you not planning on renting a car? I would get a hotel near to the school and ride the bus out there.
I've heard that it is a PITA to rent one without a credit card, and the husband and I have a policy of not using them. I might have to break that rule for this, though.
I've heard that it is a PITA to rent one without a credit card, and the husband and I have a policy of not using them. I might have to break that rule for this, though.
You can probably still pay cash if you want to... they'll want the CC in case you damage something or smoke in the car or drive around some fluffy dogs but I bet if you talk to them up front they'll take your cash.
If you want help with the bus system, PM me. The website is www.rtd-denver.com.
I just received an interview invite! Anyone else interviewing on 12/3?
The fact that the airport is so far from the school is going to be a little troublesome. The logistics of this will be interesting.
Me too. I will see you there. So is using the bus the best way or renting a car or shuttle?
If you want help with the bus system, PM me. The website is www.rtd-denver.com.
Thanks! I might take you up on that when the date looms closer.
Thanks! I might take you up on that when the date looms closer.
Hi,
I also applied to Regis, but I have not heard anything yet
. Can you tell me when did you completed your applications? Thanx🙂Hi,
I also applied to Regis, but I have not heard anything yet. Can you tell me when did you completed your applications? Thanx🙂
Sometime around mid-September, maybe the 16th? If they require three LORs, then it would have been closer to the end of the month.
Any questions let me know I'd be more than happy to answer! 🙂
Thanks! That was really informative. Here are a few questions:
Can you tell me what an average weekly schedule looks like for you?
How much of the curriculum is focused on patient care/MTM vs aimed at the dispensing pharmacist?
What is the cost-of-living like? How far do most people live from the school?
How involved are people in activities?
Thanks!
Thanks! That was really informative. Here are a few questions:
Can you tell me what an average weekly schedule looks like for you?
How much of the curriculum is focused on patient care/MTM vs aimed at the dispensing pharmacist?
What is the cost-of-living like? How far do most people live from the school?
How involved are people in activities?
Thanks!
You're welcome!
An avg. schedule for me looks like this..
Monday: 8-10am lab and 1-3pm Pharmacotherapy and 3-5 (potential exam block that has never been used)
Tuesday: 1-3pm pharmacotherapy and 3:30-4:50pm Law and policy
Wednesday: 8-10am exam block (therefore a max of 2 exam a week but we've only ever had at most 1 a week), 2:30-5 Self care
Thursday: 10-11:50 Intro to pharmacy practice, 1-3 pharmacotherapy, 3:30-4:50 Law and Policy
Friday: 1-3 Pharmacotherapy
Next semester IPPE's will be incorporated into Tues and Thur mornings for 2 hours each and you would have pharmacotherapy 3/4, literature class... the schedule will essentially be the same.
The curriculum focuses on a little bit of everything pharmacy care, a typical dispensing pharmacist and clinical...one area isn't focused on more than others... you'll have the opportunity to experience everything through IPPE's and APPE's.
The cost of living is basically the same as MN...I grew up in the cities, northern suburbs, very comparable. I currently live in a two bedroom, two bath (little over 1000 Sq. feet for $980 a month) in the northern suburbs of Denver and it takes me about 15 minutes to get to school (including traffic). Most people live outside of denver in the suburbs about 15-20 minutes from campus...there are a TON of apartments everywhere for very reasonable prices! I encourage you to look in person though!
So far with activities I am involved in APhA with the school. Outside of school I keep my personal life separate from school we do a lot of hiking, camping and exploring. Therefore every morning I get to school around 745am and spend my entire day until whenever class ends (~5pm) there, that way i come home and don't have to worry about school. I should share with you that because its team based learning you're placed with a team for then entire semester (you really get to know these people! 🙂 I very much enjoy this) You come to class prepared having self taught yourself the curriculum prior to class (they supply you with notes ~15 pgs/RAT). You take an individual readiness assessment test (iRAT) and then as a team you take a team readiness assessment test (tRAT)-the same test next you do applications or case studies that help you apply the concepts to real life situations...essentially you'll never sit through another lecture again (besides law and policy) unless people are struggling with the concepts... Getting to apply the knowledge with hands on activities really engrains the info into my head! Pretty sure i could recite everything to you from day 1 (I have NEVER been able to do this in my undergrad). Your individual grades (evaluations, iRATs and exams make up 60% of your grade and you need to make at least a 70% individually to pass...this takes care of any social loafers.)
Sorry that was so drawn out but I hope it helps! Let me know if you have other questions! 🙂
Last edited:
Sorry that was so drawn out but I hope it helps! Let me know if you have other questions! 🙂
That was great - you seem really happy with your school.
I am in a weird position family-wise (joint custody issues w/ my husband's daughter) where accepting a position at the U of M would be what I would have to do if it were offered, but after that, things are pretty open. Also, the husband's ex really wants to move to CO, so Regis might be a really good fit for me location-wise. My husband and I often joke that people from MN seem to always move to CO - maybe because they have similarities. But I don't want to pick a school just on location, so the fact that it seems like a really good school (despite being newer) is exciting. I am looking forward to seeing the campus in Dec.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pinksparkly looks like your from MN, I am as well and am a current P1 student here at Regis University. I just wanted to share with you why I think Regis is the best choice, I personally went to U of M-Duluth to get my degree but I opted out of attending U of M for pharmacy school because with Regis they use a whole different approach, TBL! I would really encourage you to do research on this before your interview. They do multiple mini interviews ( im sure youve read about...) which sounds really scary but honestly it was the best interview I had, it was a lot of fun! At Regis they really do care about you you're not just another person in a class but an individual. One thing that really did it for me here is the fact that you're not going to have a whole bunch of individual classes that eventually you're gonna come back to a few years later (prolly not remember), at Regis they have pharmacotherapy 1-12 and everything is all rolled into one rather than having medicinal chemistry, biochem, physiology... all separate. For example at Regis All the classes flow together here so in self care we're being taught nonpharmacologic and OTC treatment for diarrhea, constipation and IBs, in lab we're doing abdominal exams on each other and then in pharmacoyherapy 2 we're learing Rx meds the physiology and MOA.... IPPE are within the school year and are incorporated into the curriculum. In half a semester we've already learned more than some P2...this week we're becoming immunization certified (you do that as a P3 at U of M)... Last but not least its CO everyone is so laid back and the state has so much to offer! Any questions let me know I'd be more than happy to answer! 🙂
Thanks!
I do have several questions. I have heard that Regis is a little different than most College or Schools of Pharmacy. Now, in terms of competitiveness, would you say that it is quite difficult to obtain an interview and get accepted? Do you know if they look highly upon test scores and GPA? What about diversity? I don't know much about North Carolina and so I don't know if it is diverse as what I'm used to.
Also, can you explain more about the focus of Regis' curriculum? You talked about how it's quite interdisciplinary....Can you explain further? Thanks.
P.S. Also, I would like to keep in contact with you throughout the year. I am currently applying to Regis and other private universities and it would be great to have an advocate or someone who has gone through the process already. Thanks!
Thanks!
I do have several questions. I have heard that Regis is a little different than most College or Schools of Pharmacy. Now, in terms of competitiveness, would you say that it is quite difficult to obtain an interview and get accepted? Do you know if they look highly upon test scores and GPA? What about diversity? I don't know much about North Carolina and so I don't know if it is diverse as what I'm used to.
Also, can you explain more about the focus of Regis' curriculum? You talked about how it's quite interdisciplinary....Can you explain further? Thanks.
P.S. Also, I would like to keep in contact with you throughout the year. I am currently applying to Regis and other private universities and it would be great to have an advocate or someone who has gone through the process already. Thanks!
Hi! I would say every pharmacy school is competitive in its own ways, as long as you meet the minimum requirements and apply EARLY you have a good chance. Your interview is the place they really get to know YOU as a person, yeah you may look really good on paper but that does NOT tell it all...or you may not have the best grades but you're really good at relating to the interviewer, carrying on a conversation, and are super passionate. One thing Regis emphasizes is its not completely about the grades, rather its about how well rounded you are. They actually shared with us at the interview that they had rejected a handful of people with a 4.0 GPA and/or 99 percentile PCAT, its about more than just grades. Its also about how involved you are with pharmacy, what extracurriculars you're involved in, how well you communicate with others (hence the multiple mini interviews)...
Personally I was accepted with not the greatest GPA or PCAT score, but the fact that I have been so passionate about pharmacy as a career, my involvement in the community (volunteering), working in a pharmacy for 7+ years, extracurriculars (pharmacy club, golf...) and just overall being involved, I feel, saved me.
I would say Regis pharmacy school is very diverse! Females to males is pretty split, and background wise its also pretty equal... majority of the P1 class is from out of state (there is only a handful of students from Colorado and, I believe, 5 having attended Regis for undergrad).
Curriculum wise, Regis isn't focused on one particular area (research, retail, clinical..). Through our studies we have really focused on the importance of patient care, whether it be through communication skills and relating to the patient to clinically picking the most appropriate medication at the most appropriate dose. I should clarify we have NOT experienced everything yet, I'm only in my first semester of my first year.
A requirement for pharmacy school is to do experiential learning (IPPE) and then your 4th year you'll do APPE's (rotations) this is where you get the chance to work in a number of different settings and figure out what best fits you. For example this spring we will be place in an institution setting for our IPPE's and twice a week for a couple hours in the morning we will be working at some sort of institution (ie. hospital or behavioral center..).
I strongly suggest for all of you that decided to apply to Regis to know the school, do your research!! Every school has its own personality, has different things to offer. If group/team work isn't your thing, Regis might not be the place for you. The interview is your opportunity to get to know the school just as much as their chance to get to know you.
Pharm0409 I'd love to keep in contact with you and answer any more questions you may have you're welcome to PM me! Good luck!!!
Last edited:
Hoeky probably summed up everything better than i could have 😎 . The program here at Regis is much different from any traditional pharmacy program. The program is more hands on and based more on team/problem based learning which is where many say the future of pharmacy school is going. What i really like about here is the faculty treat you with respect and are always willing to help which is something i'm not used to. The different way of learning takes some time to get used to, but it's an approach i feel that makes you understand and retain the material better. Spending 2-3 hours a day/per class doing application questions and discussions are better than sitting through a lecture for the same amount of time.
I'm going to go to the interview on December 3rd. I was wondering just wondering for all those who live in Colorado... does it snow a lot in Colorado during December?
I feel like this is a stupid question... but i really don't want to be stuck in colorado because the following week i have finals... (so i might have to take my finals the week before).
Also, I'm really confused because on the website they said interviews will be in Feb- May...
I feel like this is a stupid question... but i really don't want to be stuck in colorado because the following week i have finals... (so i might have to take my finals the week before).
Also, I'm really confused because on the website they said interviews will be in Feb- May...
I'm going to go to the interview on December 3rd. I was wondering just wondering for all those who live in Colorado... does it snow a lot in Colorado during December?
I feel like this is a stupid question... but i really don't want to be stuck in colorado because the following week i have finals... (so i might have to take my finals the week before).
Also, I'm really confused because on the website they said interviews will be in Feb- May...
Yes it does snow quite a bit in Colorado... the weather is completely unpredictable one day it could blizzard and the next be 40 degrees, you never know. Maybe taking care of your finals the week before is something you should consider!
Typically they do the interviews Jan-April... but from my understanding they're doing an early acceptance interview in December, as I see you're attending! Good luck and see you there! 🙂
Wow, thanks hoeky428 and nnnn32125 for sharing your experiences at Regis! It's so nice to have a glimpse into the interview process before arriving 🙂. I'm going to be in the group interviewing on 12/3! It sure will be a nice Christmas present when all of us receive our acceptance letters! If anyone is interested in getting to know more about each other before our interviews just send me a message. It sounds like we'll have the opportunity to mingle during the interview process and it would be nice to get to know each other beforehand.
It's really unlikely that snow will keep you in Denver. It grounds the airport occasionally (like less than once a year) and it melts almost right away. If it snows the day you're supposed to fly out, worst case scenario would mean staying an extra two days, but that would be a serious blizzard. If your finals aren't until the following week, you'll be fine.I'm going to go to the interview on December 3rd. I was wondering just wondering for all those who live in Colorado... does it snow a lot in Colorado during December?
I feel like this is a stupid question... but i really don't want to be stuck in colorado because the following week i have finals... (so i might have to take my finals the week before).
Also, I'm really confused because on the website they said interviews will be in Feb- May...
It's really unlikely that snow will keep you in Denver. It grounds the airport occasionally (like less than once a year) and it melts almost right away. If it snows the day you're supposed to fly out, worst case scenario would mean staying an extra two days, but that would be a serious blizzard. If your finals aren't until the following week, you'll be fine.
Yeah you're right I think I'm just being paranoid.
But I remember back a few years ago when I lived in Colorado there was a freak blizzard that his Colorado and lasted for a week. My aunt told me that she was literally trapped for days. Luckily, I left days before to visit my relatives for spring break.
But this was years ago so hopefully that will not be the case.
But thanks for your concern.
Yeah you're right I think I'm just being paranoid.
But I remember back a few years ago when I lived in Colorado there was a freak blizzard that his Colorado and lasted for a week. My aunt told me that she was literally trapped for days. Luckily, I left days before to visit my relatives for spring break.
But this was years ago so hopefully that will not be the case.
But thanks for your concern.
I've been snowed in twice in 15 years here.
I've been snowed in twice in 15 years here.
Haha how long were you snowed in for?
I haven't seen snow for years ever since I moved to California. I kinda miss it.
Haha how long were you snowed in for?
I haven't seen snow for years ever since I moved to California. I kinda miss it.
Two days and one day. I probably could have gotten out the second time, but I didn't desperately need to.
I do not think this question was asked, but forgive me if it's a repeat. Does it make anyone nervous that Regis is not credited yet? Also what would happen if someone graduates and the school is not credited, can they still pass the test and practice???
I do not think this question was asked, but forgive me if it's a repeat. Does it make anyone nervous that Regis is not credited yet? Also what would happen if someone graduates and the school is not credited, can they still pass the test and practice???
Correct me if I'm wrong but here's my impression of accredited vs non-accredited:
Well they'll be accredited when the first class graduates since the school has candidate status, so if you were to apply now then chances are that when you graduate the school will be accredited (if the program is sound) . You can still pass the class and practice because those are more individual efforts.
What might be a cause for concern:
is the financial aspect of non-fully accredited schools because they're relatively new so you'll end up taking out private loans, etc... and that will just cost more.
Got my interview for 12/3, anyone that is a current student got interview advice?
I also have an interview that day. 🙂 I agree, any advice would help, greatly. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so I just e submitted my application, waiting for 2 weeks for my gpa to be calculated, then I can wait for a interview...
Overall the interview sound intense but in all honesty once the day is done and over you'll feel like they really got to know you as an individual, I honestly had a lot of fun with it. The multiple mini interviews are a way for them to see who you are as a person there is no right or wrong answer. I believe there were 9 of them and it gives you a chance to meet some of the faculty, involved community members and students. Just relax and be yourself! The upside to it is multiple separate interviews so you aren't just leaving one impression on one person. You get 9 chances to show them who you are. 🙂 Good luck!!
Hello, I have an interview at Regis University School of Pharmacy this Dec 3rd. Can anyone tell me what their interview questions are? What essay questions do you think they may ask based on your previous experience? Any information / advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
hey harmine, can you tell me when you submited your pharmcas for regis? thanks.Hello, I have an interview at Regis University School of Pharmacy this Dec 3rd. Can anyone tell me what their interview questions are? What essay questions do you think they may ask based on your previous experience? Any information / advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Hello, I have an interview at Regis University School of Pharmacy this Dec 3rd. Can anyone tell me what their interview questions are? What essay questions do you think they may ask based on your previous experience? Any information / advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Regis's interview and essay questions are not the kind you can prepare for, by design. They don't want processed answers; they want to see the way you think.
Correct me if I'm wrong but here's my impression of accredited vs non-accredited:
Well they'll be accredited when the first class graduates since the school has candidate status, so if you were to apply now then chances are that when you graduate the school will be accredited (if the program is sound) . You can still pass the class and practice because those are more individual efforts.
What might be a cause for concern:
is the financial aspect of non-fully accredited schools because they're relatively new so you'll end up taking out private loans, etc... and that will just cost more.
The university itself is accredited so you will qualify for federal student loans.
Interview for 12/03 went very well. They are very quick to respond if they like you, for I was notified on 12/12 by telephone and offered admission. Best advice for future interviewers is to ask alot of questions, relax, and stay confident!
Eight interview questions, ranging from asking what you would do if your flight was delayed and your luggage lost and you had an interview the next morning. Do all good movies have good morals? Why do you want to be a pharmacist? How would you prepare for for the arrival of faculty members from another school if you were given the task of organizing the welcome?
Lovely campus, rich tradition, and warm staff. Team based learning is interesting, but like an earlier poster commented, it is kinda hard to swallow paying 160K for nontraditional learning. Smaller class sizes, though, give the opportunity to become more involved rather than feel that you are hampering the progress of the class by asking to many questions
Eight interview questions, ranging from asking what you would do if your flight was delayed and your luggage lost and you had an interview the next morning. Do all good movies have good morals? Why do you want to be a pharmacist? How would you prepare for for the arrival of faculty members from another school if you were given the task of organizing the welcome?
Lovely campus, rich tradition, and warm staff. Team based learning is interesting, but like an earlier poster commented, it is kinda hard to swallow paying 160K for nontraditional learning. Smaller class sizes, though, give the opportunity to become more involved rather than feel that you are hampering the progress of the class by asking to many questions
Has anyone received an invitation that applied recently for the February interview dates?
I was invited for an interview Feb 4th.
Has anyone else been accepted at Regis yet? If so, are you going to accept their offer of admission?
you guys, I have a interview! 👍
feb 17th, but Im thinking about switching it because I have another interview at feb 18th at maine.Congrats! When is your date?
is it possible to switch it?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys! i was just reading the older post, and I feel like I have a decent grasp on Regis overall. If someone has some time, I really need some help on interview prep. I'm from Hawaii, and have an interview scheduled for March 4th, but don't have a clue about anything in Denver. Hotels, etc.
Anyone care to share where you stayed during your interviews?
Anyone care to share where you stayed during your interviews?
I will be interviewing this Friday, will you be there too?
Similar threads
- Poll
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 4K