Regular+Medical School ?

hallian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think that a kid is a top Private High School, who takes regular college prep classes, have the intelligence to make it into medical school. Any advice would be helpful and i know that you are supposed to major in what you like but if you major in something non science does it make it hard to focus on premed requirements and the MCAT, what is the advantage of having a science major?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll save Bleargh and Cole the trouble...

media_preview.php

Do you think that a kid is a top Private High School, who takes regular college prep classes, have the intelligence to make it into medical school. Any advice would be helpful and i know that you are supposed to major in what you like but if you major in something non science does it make it hard to focus on premed requirements and the MCAT, what is the advantage of having a science major?

The clear lack of proofreading ability suggests otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the forums for more info.

Short answers:

People of average intelligence can become doctors. The road is certainly harder.

Major in what you like. In most cases it's not hard to fit in the premed classes unless you are doing a very specific professional type program, like nursing, where all your classes are scheduled for you pretty much. If you really are around average intelligence, you might benefit from more science classes on the MCAT, but this is not true as a rule for premeds. All you need to know is in a good prep book.

Specific science classes might be useful early in medical school, just to make the transition easier. More bench work might be helpful if you plan on applying MD/PhD.

Your signature and run-on sentences/interesting choices of punctuation are mildly annoying.

you cannot change your level of intelligence so why even ask this question? it is out of your control. what you can control is how hard you work to level the playing field.

you will meet hundreds of people that are much smarter than you and that's okay. raw talent wont accomplish your goals in any direction you choose but your work ethic can.

unless you're below average intelligence which I'm assuming you arent, if you want it bad enough I cant see why you wouldnt be able to make it happen. keep your head in the books and learn the process and you'll be alright.

I can't believe you have a survey for attendings and residents to fill out with such ridiculous questions. Furthermore, if you don't have any idea why you want to enter medicine at this point you should go shadow a doc or volunteer at a hospital because if the only thing you got going for you are those stupid doctor TV shows (Grey's anatomy and House) you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Pure skill doesn't mean anything...I mean, look where it got Randy Moss.