Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Similar to others, I've been using the forums, but thought I should post stats after getting my first acceptance!

UGPA: 3.63
Major/Minor: International Studies-Latin American concentration / Spanish, Public Health
GradGPA (if applicable): na
Grad Studies (if applicable): na
GRE V: 164, Q: 163, AW: 4.5 07/2013 or Other Test: na
Experience/Research (please, be brief): international service, research abroad, community health center outreach worker

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied: UT-Community Health(2/21), UIC-MCH(2/21), UMich-HBHE(2/13)
Accepted: Columbia-SMS/GH
Rejected:
Waitlisted: UW-GH

Members don't see this ad.

Logged on to the link U of Washington provided that tells you the status of your application when you first apply. It appears they updated it (rejected from epi :() without sending an email notification. Thought I should share the info!

Good Luck!

Accepted (all for mph in epi): U of Michigan, U of Minnesota, Yale CDE, U of Pittsburgh, UIC
Rejected: U of Washington
Waiting: Columbia, UCLA, UC Berkley, BU, Harvard

Hey there! I'm from Seattle, and I was just speaking with some girls who are in the MPH Global Health program currently at UW, and they have a number of friends who were rejected from UW and accepted at Ivy League institutions...I wouldn't feel bad about this; UW doesn't have as much funding and endowments as these schools, so it isn't a reflection on your ability. I've applied to UW as well, but I still haven't heard back yet (I applied to another program).:)

Hey there! I'm from Seattle, and I was just speaking with some girls who are in the MPH Global Health program currently at UW, and they have a number of friends who were rejected from UW and accepted at Ivy League institutions...I wouldn't feel bad about this; UW doesn't have as much funding and endowments as these schools, so it isn't a reflection on your ability. I've applied to UW as well, but I still haven't heard back yet (I applied to another program).:)

Thanks for the kind words!

I actually just got accepted to HSPH SM2 in Epi today, so I am feeling better :)

Good to you and I hope you hear back soon from UW (I still think it is an amazing school)!!

Members don't see this ad :)
In at UNC as of today! Waiting on Harvard and Columbia (policy and management). Initiate email refreshing every 30 seconds...

ugh I've been refreshing my email all day too, but I guess now that it's late and I haven't heard anything yet, I have to wait until Monday to start refreshing my email again.

ugh I've been refreshing my email all day too, but I guess now that it's late and I haven't heard anything yet, I have to wait until Monday to start refreshing my email again.

Tell me about it. What am I supposed to do for two days?

In at Columbia HPM! However, I think Harvard sent out admits for their SM2 in health policy today, and I didnt get an e-mail, which means bad news will be on the way next Friday. But it's okay. I wasn't expecting to get in without 2 years work experience.

To ll the people clicking their e-mail incessantly — just setup push mail on your smartphone. You get the mail when it is sent, no sooner, no later. :p It fixed the distraction problem.

In at Columbia HPM! However, I think Harvard sent out admits for their SM2 in health policy today, and I didnt get an e-mail, which means bad news will be on the way next Friday. But it's okay. I wasn't expecting to get in without 2 years work experience.

Does this mean that the department sends all acceptances at once, and only rejections afterwards?

Does this mean that the department sends all acceptances at once, and only rejections afterwards?

I honestly have no clue, I'm just speculating since I'm 99% sure I won't get in.

No Columbia MPH Epdemiologyi news yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
To ll the people clicking their e-mail incessantly — just setup push mail on your smartphone. You get the mail when it is sent, no sooner, no later. :p It fixed the distraction problem.

I still have a dumbphone -__-

Anyone receive their BU acceptance packet yet? I was accepted on February 11 and still haven't received anything yet. Hmmm...

I am beginning to think that HPM decisions take the longest to hear back from. I hope I am wrong and all HSPH decisions go out at once. Wouldnt that be something?? This forum would go nuts with people posting RAW if we all heard at the same time from all schools. in the meantime...refreshing 9-5.

I don't know of any program that sends all notifications in one day. It seems impractical on their end. Admittance notices and rejections are almost always rolling. Taking a closer look at prior threads, Harvard and Columbia do start with notices this week or next, but they are not all at once. Some are as late as mid-March. Also, more notably Harvard starts with its SM programs. The MPH is later.

As eager and anxious as we are, there is nothing to be done except wait. Not getting any word from them does not mean anything. It is neither an acceptance nor a rejection. It just means they have not said anything yet. Yes, it is frustrating that the deadline was months ago and that only now are they beginning to give notifications. This is bureaucracy, there is nothing to be done.

You'll be fine. I'll be fine. We'll be fine. Now, go Netflix something and binge on your favorite show next to your favorite food - and if you're in New England, take particular note and hunker down for yet another slushy weekend weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice.

I received an acceptance from Michigan yesterday. No, not for HMP or Epi, but for that red-headed stepchild of MPHs: Environmental Health Science (with the Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology subplan).

SOPHAS Submitted: 1/6
Verified: 1/30
Mailed: 2/6

My stats are here.

Applied: Columbia (EHS), OSU (EHS), UIC (EOHS), Michigan (EHS), Yale (EMD, EHS + global)
Accepted: Michigan (EHS)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Accepted to Hopkins MSPH in Health Policy! :soexcited:

Sumbitted to JHU 1/31
Completed on 2/12
Accepted 2/22

Anyone receive their BU acceptance packet yet? I was accepted on February 11 and still haven't received anything yet. Hmmm...

I was accepted on 2/15 and I live in Boston and I haven't gotten anything yet either.

UGPA: 3.54
Major/Minor: Environmental Public Health/Chemistry
GRE: 162 V, 155 Q, 4.0 W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Research with an Econ prof on impacts of Climate Change in US & China, Sustainability Director at school and two PH internships

Applied: Columbia, BU, GWU, Tulane, USC, UMinn (all MPH EHS). Turned in everything to SOPHAS 12/18, mailed 1/21
Accepted: UMinn (2/21), Columbia (2/22) :love:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Tell me about it. What am I supposed to do for two days?

Haha, I never thought I would say this but weekends do suck. I pack my weekends full of stuff like shows, dinners and friends but man I really look forward to the weekdays. I have yet to have an acceptance :scared:

Only a rejection from Yale HPM.

Happy to read everyone else's acceptances though. :thumbup:

UGPA: 3.54
Major/Minor: Environmental Public Health/Chemistry
GRE: 162 V, 155 Q, 4.0 W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Research with an Econ prof on impacts of Climate Change in US & China, Sustainability Director at school and two PH internships

Applied: Columbia, BU, GWU, Tulane, USC, UMinn (all MPH EHS). Turned in everything to SOPHAS 12/18, mailed 1/21
Accepted: UMinn (2/21), Columbia (2/22) :love:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congrats! I hear the EHS is the strongest department at Columbia :banana:

So I just got an offer from St. Louis for a GRA which will give me free tuition + stipend + health insurance. I am so excited considering the down weeks I've had with not hearing from Columbia and others.

So I just got an offer from St. Louis for a GRA which will give me free tuition + stipend + health insurance. I am so excited considering the down weeks I've had with not hearing from Columbia and others.

Congrats!! That's amazing - everything happens for a reason! :)

Pardon my ignorance (I am new around these parts!!), but how common is it to get tuition remission remission + stipend for MPH programs?

Or any other merit scholarships/funding?

Thanks guys!

Pardon my ignorance (I am new around these parts!!), but how common is it to get tuition remission remission + stipend for MPH programs?

Or any other merit scholarships/funding?

Thanks guys!

Tuition remission or funding - almost never

There are, however, many scholarship opportunities. If you look at some of the posts here, you will see tons of people who are getting merit and need based scholarships with their admissions.

Yaaay, got acceptance package from BUSPH by snail mail today (although I live in Boston). Handwritten note was really nice.

That's amazing!! Congrats!

how much $$ would these scholarships typically be?

Is it possible to leave without debt? do students usually work part time as well?

Thanks!

Tuition remission or funding - almost never

There are, however, many scholarship opportunities. If you look at some of the posts here, you will see tons of people who are getting merit and need based scholarships with their admissions.

Is it possible to leave without debt? do students usually work part time as well?

Thanks!

Just from following these forums, I've seen scholarships range from a couple of thousand to full tuition. As the MPH is a masters and not a doctorate, you are most likely going to pay something.

In terms of debt, I guess that depends. If you have savings to pay tuition and living expenses, then no. Otherwise, you need to get money from somewhere right?

I know many people in programs with part time jobs, often working with faculty members.

Yaaay, got acceptance package from BUSPH by snail mail today (although I live in Boston). Handwritten note was really nice.

I got mine today as well (also live in Boston). I received a pretty big merit award, but it still doesn't really put a dent in BUs tuition... :-/

Hello, I have been following for a while and just wanted to contribute.

UGPA: 3.85
Major/Minor: Exercise Science (School of Public Health)
GRE (including date taken): V:162, Q:159, AW: 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): I am currently interning at a community health organization, and I researched over the summer and last semester and will be presenting in a month. I have also been active with the American Cancer Society.

Applied: all Epi MPH: Yale, Emory, BU, Pitt, Minnesota, SUNY Buffalo, Albany
Accepted: Buffalo, Minnesota, Emory
Rejected:
Waitlisted: Yale

Got into penn state for Biobehavioral health PhD! It's completely funded with an additional award too. :D I already decided I'm accepting their offer. Yay.

Thanks guys! It came at a time when I was resigning myself to 60k+ in debt and fairly upset about it. I feel so blessed and wish everyone else the best :D

I do need to warn you that the students on this board tend to be in the upper echelons of most classes, and many of the big scholarship recipients have very, very impressive resumes. You need to remember and go by the numbers. For the top 10 schools, only a few (three or four) students from each department at each school will receive enough grants to cover tuition or even half tuition. Don't do an MPH simply because you think you will leave with less debt.

I do need to warn you that the students on this board tend to be in the upper echelons of most classes, and many of the big scholarship recipients have very, very impressive resumes. You need to remember and go by the numbers. For the top 10 schools, only a few (three or four) students from each department at each school will receive enough grants to cover tuition or even half tuition. Don't do an MPH simply because you think you will leave with less debt.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I like the program or else I would not have applied. Getting the full tuition + stipend is just icing on the cake.

Bahahahaha it's OK. I was just very, very confused.

Even though I guess this advice:

could belong in this thread too:

Thanks!

Anyone have any idea if Columbia sends all acceptances to a program on one day? I'm waiting on hearing from HPM (policy) so big congrats to all you that have got in!! I hope it isn't the case that they sent them all out on Friday :(

I don't know of any program that sends all notifications in one day. It seems impractical on their end. Admittance notices and rejections are almost always rolling. Taking a closer look at prior threads, Harvard and Columbia do start with notices this week or next, but they are not all at once. Some are as late as mid-March. Also, more notably Harvard starts with its SM programs. The MPH is later.

As eager and anxious as we are, there is nothing to be done except wait. Not getting any word from them does not mean anything. It is neither an acceptance nor a rejection. It just means they have not said anything yet. Yes, it is frustrating that the deadline was months ago and that only now are they beginning to give notifications. This is bureaucracy, there is nothing to be done.

You'll be fine. I'll be fine. We'll be fine. Now, go Netflix something and binge on your favorite show next to your favorite food - and if you're in New England, take particular note and hunker down for yet another slushy weekend weather.

Just saw this- NVM on my previous post, thanks for your words of wisdom porkbunsrule :)

Finally contributing to the post!

UGPA: 3.97
Majors: Psychology and Economics
GRE: 167Q, 161V, 5.0W
Mostly research experience- psychophysiology lab research with smoking cessation, obesity research, also worked as research analyst for a company

Applied: Drexel, GWU, Yale, Columbia, Brown, UAlbany, BU
Accepted: Drexel (w/ merit), Columbia, Brown, UAlbany

Still waiting to hear from the rest of my schools. I really have no idea as to where I want to attend or where would be best for me! I applied to the behavioral science/ health promotion/ sociomedical sciences concentrations. I ideally want to work for the government being involved in program planning. Cost is going to be a major factor as I'm worried about taking on massive debt, and I'm not sure if it is worth accumulating the debt to go to a top school. I would love any advice!

I'm also pretty wary of taking on a lot of debt for an MPH. I received an in-state acceptance last week (UCLA), but that'd still cost 50k. This is totally irrational, but there's a part of me that wants to say screw it and go my first choice school, because I'll be in major debt either way.
For the record, no one should follow in my footsteps. I have no idea what I'm doing.

i got accepted to UCLA as well, which would be my cheapest option since I'm from CA but I'm going to have to say screw it and go to my first choice school, Columbia. Once you're looking at 50,000+ of debt you might as well go somewhere that you really want to go.

i got accepted to UCLA as well, which would be my cheapest option since I'm from CA but I'm going to have to say screw it and go to my first choice school, Columbia. Once you're looking at 50,000+ of debt you might as well go somewhere that you really want to go.

Wow, that's my exact situation. Maybe I'm not being so crazy after all :)

Can't agree more. Plus, who knows, maybe student loans are the next thing to get bailed out...

How does the funding process typically work? I received acceptance letters from three schools this week, none with any mention of grants/funding. Do you typically need to accept an admission offer before being considered funding or can it be offered with the initial acceptance letter?

Edit: These are for MPH programs

Last edited:
How does the funding process typically work? I received acceptance letters from three schools this week, none with any mention of grants/funding. Do you typically need to accept an admission offer before being considered funding or can it be offered with the initial acceptance letter?

Edit: These are for MPH programs

I obviously can't speak for every program but for St. Louis, I was contacted by the head of the department who offered me a GRA position. On the phone he told me the details and said I'd be getting a letter with more specifics.

I know those who got in to BU were told in their admissions emails but I don't think they were given an amount until they got their letters.