Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got into GW for Health Policy and was designated a Chair's Policy Scholar! Funding and scholarship info to come by snail mail...

Members don't see this ad.

Just got into GW for Health Policy and was designated a Chair's Policy Scholar! Funding and scholarship info to come by snail mail...
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing when your app was submitted/received?

Congrats!! I was offered to be a Chair's Policy Scholar too! :) Do you think this has pushed GWU towards the top of your list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really stumped...I can't decide between Emory's MPH epidemiology or Berkeley's MPH in infectious disease/vaccinology program! Ahhhhh!!!! Anyone have any advice???

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing when your app was submitted/received?

Thanks!
Designated on 1/15
Mailed by SOPHAS on 1/24
Received by GWU on 1/28
Notified 2/20 :thumbup:

Congrats!! I was offered to be a Chair's Policy Scholar too! :) Do you think this has pushed GWU towards the top of your list?

Congrats! It's pretty awesome, I'd definitely like to talk to some current students in the program though and hear what the perks are really like. And of course funding matters, though even when I was looking at undergrad GWU was really willing to negotiate scholarships and aid. But I certainly can't deny the advantage of policy job placement in DC...

The Infectious Disease program is my top choice and I think I'm headed there this fall because thats the area I want to focus on and from what I hear I think its fairly heavily based on science (immunology courses and labs). The Epi program will probably not have any of that so I guess it really depends on what you want to do with your degree. Hope this helps, kbarr!

Last edited:
Hello all!
I've lurked on these forums for a long time and they have been immensely helpful to me during my applications. Now that I have heard back from some universities, I feel I should post my stats
UG: Bachelor of Pharmacy
GPA: 3.6
GRE: 1350 (V660, Q690, AWA 4.5)
TOEFL: 111
WORK EX: 2 years volunteer in a local hospital, one month training in pharma industry, one month internship at an NGO on UNFPA project, health policy workshop with PHFI, 3 months work with a rural NGO with tribal populations, head of College Student council in UG, National level basketball and state level cricket player (just mentioning this to give a general idea).

APPLIED: JSPH (MSPH HPM), Harvard, Columbia, Emory, Yale, UAB, GWU, BU, Minnesota, UIC (All HPM MPH)
ACCEPTED: Emory, BU (with merit), GWU, UAB, Minnesota (Waiting for JSPH, Harvard, Columbia)
REJECTED: Yale

With all given options, I am considering going to either BU or Emory, though still waiting for Harvard's decision. If anyone can PM with me regarding the HPM program at Emory or BU, please do so. Also, congratulations to all those who have received their dream admits and all the best to those who are waiting! Hope to see some of you in Fall wherever I may be going hehe! And keep posting....

Hello all!
I've lurked on these forums for a long time and they have been immensely helpful to me during my applications. Now that I have heard back from some universities, I feel I should post my stats
WORK EX: 2 years volunteer in a local hospital, one month training in pharma industry, one month internship at an NGO on UNFPA project, health policy workshop with PHFI, 3 months work with a rural NGO with tribal populations, head of College Student council in UG, National level basketball and state level cricket player (just mentioning this to give a general idea).

APPLIED: JSPH (MSPH HPM), Harvard, Columbia, Emory, Yale, UAB, GWU, BU, Minnesota, UIC (All HPM MPH)
ACCEPTED: Emory, BU (with merit), GWU, UAB, Minnesota (Waiting for JSPH, Harvard, Columbia)

With all given options, I am considering going to either BU or Emory, though still waiting for Harvard's decision. If anyone can PM with me regarding the HPM program at Emory or BU, please do so. Also, congratulations to all those who have received their dream admits and all the best to those who are waiting! Hope to see some of you in Fall wherever I may be going hehe! And keep posting....

Thank you for posting your stats.

With all the rejects from Yale HPM that I can see here, I barely stand a chance for the program. Damn.

Hello all!

Hey, do you mind posting when your applications were submitted/mailed? :)

HPMer-when did you hear from Yale and when did you submit? I am still waiting and it is driving me crazy.

Has anyone heard of any acceptances to Yale HPM, I have seen a lot for CDE.

Congrats! It's pretty awesome, I'd definitely like to talk to some current students in the program though and hear what the perks are really like. And of course funding matters, though even when I was looking at undergrad GWU was really willing to negotiate scholarships and aid. But I certainly can't deny the advantage of policy job placement in DC...

Yeah, I would like to hear more about the perks of the scholars program from current students as well. GW put me in contact with a current Health Policy MPH student. I'll email and let you know what I find out. Please share any info if you hear anything! I think we'll hear about funding in the next 2-3 weeks--good luck to both of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just learned about this forum so I'm a little late to the party but I'm learning a lot from you guys!

UG: Double Degree (BSc and BA) from world-ranked top 30 Canadian university
UGPA: 3.32 (according to WES)
Major/Minor: Biology (Cell Biology and Genetics) and Honors in English
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V163 (91%) Q160 (81%) W5.0 (92)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
No formal experience in public health; wrote a year-long honors thesis on history of the novel; volunteered extensively in student government and served as vice-chair of the university senate

Applied: Edinburgh MSc (Health Systems and Public Policy), UCL MSc (Public Policy), LSE (International Health Policy), Sciences Po MPA, Michigan MPH (HMP), JHSPH MSPH (Health Policy), Karolinska Institutet MSc (Health Economics, Policy, and Management)
Accepted: UCL (2/13), JHSPH (2/15), Edinburgh (2/15)
Interview: Michigan (2/15)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I just learned about this forum so I'm a little late to the party but I'm learning a lot from you guys!

UG: Double Degree (BSc and BA) from world-ranked top 30 Canadian university
UGPA: 3.32 (according to WES)
Major/Minor: Biology (Cell Biology and Genetics) and Honors in English
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V163 (91%) Q160 (81%) W5.0 (92)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
No formal experience in public health; wrote a year-long honors thesis on history of the novel; volunteered extensively in student government and served as vice-chair of the university senate

Applied: Edinburgh MSc (Health Systems and Public Policy), UCL MSc (Public Policy), LSE (International Health Policy), Sciences Po MPA, Michigan MPH (HMP), JHSPH MSPH (Health Policy), Karolinska Institutet MSc (Health Economics, Policy, and Management)
Accepted: UCL (2/13), JHSPH (2/15), Edinburgh (2/15)
Interview: Michigan (2/15)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congrats on your acceptances thus far, but particularly UCL! UCL is an amazing school. I was accepted to the LSHTM - and seriously thinking of going. Might see you in London! ;)

Has anyone heard of any acceptances to Yale HPM, I have seen a lot for CDE.

I just got the email from them saying I was rejected like an hour ago =(, but given my stats I knew it was a long shot! Now just waiting on Emory and Columbia, hopefully some good news comes my way, fingers crossed!

I just got the email from them saying I was rejected like an hour ago =(, but given my stats I knew it was a long shot! Now just waiting on Emory and Columbia, hopefully some good news comes my way, fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear that, and best of luck of Emory and Columbia! I'm waiting for Yale HPM too (I'm a Fulbright scholar so I'll only know from the Fulbright office here, which can take forever). But given my stats and the profiles of rejected candidates here, I regret even putting Yale in the submission plan :(

UGPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Art History, Art
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.7
Grad Studies (if applicable): Art
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 10/10/12--V: 163, Q: 158, W: 4.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): significant academic accomplishments in art history, leadership position in local non-communicable disease NGO, 2 years working in medical computer technology

Applied: Harvard (12/15), BU (1/16), UMass (1/14)
Accepted: UMass (2/13)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Anyone have experience with applying with previous academic work in a non-science/math field? I've done some analytic research, but I feel like they're going to see me as coming completely out of left field...

Last edited:
Accepted to JHU's MPH! Yipeeeeeeeee :)
Just goes to show that GPA aint that important.

UGPA: 3.28 (WES)
Major/Minor: [Canada] Anatomy and Cell Biology (Major), Social Studies of Medicine (Minor)
GRE: 159Q, 161V, 5.0W

Experience/Research:
3 months with a research group in Canada studying child labour and primary health systems
1.5 years with a public health research organization in Pakistan
4 months with a public health diagnostics organization in Uganda
Will have 4 publications (2 reports, 2 journal papers) by the time of enrolment

Applied: JHU (12/1/2012), Harvard (12/1/2012), Columbia (1/12/2013), LSHTM (2/22/2013)
Accepted: JHU MPH (accepted Feb 20)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, and best of luck of Emory and Columbia! I'm waiting for Yale HPM too (I'm a Fulbright scholar so I'll only know from the Fulbright office here, which can take forever). But given my stats and the profiles of rejected candidates here, I regret even putting Yale in the submission plan :(

You never know!! Just be optimistic, good luck =)

Finally have some updates!

UGPA: 3.76
Major: Psychology and Social Conflict
GRE: 157V, 157Q, 4W
Experience: Returned Peace Corps Volunteer with teaching and health clinic experience. Currently employed at an international public health consulting firm traveling and performing ag/nutrition qualitative research.

Applied for MPH programs at: Yale, BU, GW, JHU, Minnesota & Emory (e-submitted to SOPHAS on 12/23, verified today 1/19)
Accepted: BU with merit scholarship (2/19), Minnesota (2/12) & Emory (2/8)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm still waiting on Yale, GW & Hopkins.

Congratulations and good luck on the rest of your applications! Would you mind sharing what programs/departments you've applied to?

Almost done with my apps so I thought I'd upload my stats.

Major: Biochemistry
MCAT: 31
Experience: Clinical research at a major university in Epidemiology, 2 years of bench research in biochemistry of disease studied during clinical research, EMT experience, tutoring etc etc.

Applied for MPH programs at: Columbia, BU, GW, Minnesota & Emory
Accepted: GWU(12/22), BU with merit scholarship (2/22), Minnesota (1/17) & Emory (1/22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm still waiting on Columbia.

Happened to check on my online JHSPH application last night...scrolled to the bottom and it read "Decision Status: Available Beginning 2/20/13" with a link to my letter of acceptance to the HBS department! The letter is dated 2/20/13, and I still haven't received an email from them.

Will post stats soon. Good luck everyone!

Just though I'd post where I applied (all MPH - HPM)

Applied: GWU, Columbia, Hunter, U Washington, Oregon State, Colorado - Denver
Accepted: Oregon State
Rejected: none yet..

I've obsessively been reading this thread and now that I have been accepted to two schools I feel like I can finally add something!

UGPA: 3.91
Major/Minor: Health Behavioral Science/Public Health
GRE: Taken 10/25 159V 157Q 4.5W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Diversity Summer Intern at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health during the summer of 2012 working on a nutrition education program, Intern with Nemours Health and Prevention Services this semester working on child literacy rates with English and Spanish speaking kids, President and Founder of the first Public Health Club on campus

Applied: Harvard MS (submitted to SOPHAS 12/5, Received 1/11), BU MPH (submitted to SOPHAS 12/5, Received 1/11), Drexel MPH (submitted to SOPHAS 12/5, Received 1/14), UMD MPH (1/8), JHSPH MSPH (1/24)
Accepted: Drexel with merit (2/5), JHSPH (2/21), UMD (3/1)
Rejected: Harvard (3/1)
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Happened to check on my online JHSPH application last night...scrolled to the bottom and it read "Decision Status: Available Beginning 2/20/13" with a link to my letter of acceptance to the HBS department! The letter is dated 2/20/13, and I still haven't received an email from them.

Will post stats soon. Good luck everyone!

Wow! Congrats! I'm still waiting.
Was the decision posted at the bottom of the app.applyyourself... page? I just want to make sure I'm checking the right thing! :oops:

Just saw in gradcafe that someone got rejected from harvard global health mph. Guess they have started sending out decisions. :xf:

They have. I just received a decision from them for SM2 Epi. Good luck everyone!

Yeah, they have. I just got admitted to HSPH (MPH, Health and Social Behaviour) by email. Still feels like a dream, read the mail over and over just to be sure!

UGPA: 3.56 (Calculated by WES)
Major/Minor: MBBS (Nigeria)
GRE (including date taken): 10/30/2012 -- Verbal 157, Quant 166, Writing 4.0
Experience/Research: 1 year internship in a teaching hospital; volunteer experience: Volunteer researcher for a child health study in Africa, volunteer organisation and free health care missions
Applied: JHSPH ( Submitted 11/19, last reference 11/22) , UNC (MCH), Emory (HPM), UAlbany (SBCH), Harvard (HSB)
Accepted: JHSPH (1/8/2013) :soexcited:, Emory HPM (1/19/2013):soexcited: harvard(MPH, HSB) (2/22/2013) :soexcited:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Just received an email from Columbia. Accepted into their general MPH program

Applied: (All Health Policy & Management Programs) Columbia, Hopkins MSPH, Emory, Yale, GWU, Berkeley, Hunter, NYU MPA
Accepted: Emory (2/4), GWU (2/20), Columbia (2/22) :clap:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Same!!

Major/Minor: [Canada] Anatomy and Cell Biology (Major), Social Studies of Medicine (Minor)

Experience/Research:
3 months with a research group in Canada studying child labour and primary health systems
Will have 4 publications (2 reports, 2 journal papers) by the time of enrolment

Applied: JHU (12/1/2012), Harvard (12/1/2012), Columbia (1/12/2013), LSHTM (2/22/2013)
Accepted: JHU MPH (Feb 20), Columbia MPH (Feb 22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Just saw in gradcafe that someone got rejected from harvard global health mph. Guess they have started sending out decisions. :xf:

Where is the RAW forum on grad cafe? I couldnt find one as comprehensive as this one. Thanks for the update. This is causing me anxiety. Waiting on Harvard, Berkeley and UIC.

Just got into Harvard SM80 for Epi!!!

Anyone hear from Columbia epi?

First (hopefully!) acceptance of the cycle.
In at Columbia for 2 year MPH in HPM! :soexcited:

Just got into Harvard SM80 for Epi!!!

Anyone hear from Columbia epi?

Nope. I applied to Columbia back in November so I'm hoping I'll hear in the first cycle. I'm fully expecting a rejection as I do not have a strong background for epi (which I realized after submitting my app and shifted my focus).

Good luck :D

Same!!

Experience/Research:
Will have 4 publications (2 reports, 2 journal papers) by the time of enrollment

Accepted: JHU MPH (Feb 20), Columbia MPH (Feb 22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Which program at Columbia did you get into?

In at UNC as of today! Waiting on Harvard and Columbia (policy and management). Initiate email refreshing every 30 seconds...

Where is the RAW forum on grad cafe? I couldnt find one as comprehensive as this one. Thanks for the update. This is causing me anxiety. Waiting on Harvard, Berkeley and UIC.

Waiting on these two as well, and the anxiety is starting to build!

accepted to Columbia for MPH in Population and Family Health with certificate in Global Health!
SOPHAS mailed my app. on November 14. goodluck everyone!

Congrats to all of those who were accepted!

I'm waiting to hear from HSPH, and it's killing me how seemingly random their decision-sending-out process is.

Which program at Columbia did you get into?

"I am delighted to inform you of your acceptance to the Department of Population and Family Health Full-Time MPH program beginning in August 2013 with a certificate in Global Health."

:)

Admitted into Columbia HPM..good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking. Thought I'd contribute since I just heard back form Columbia!!!!!!!

UGPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Health, Science, & Society
GRE: 161Q, 159V, 4.5W

Experience/Research:
Worked in 3 science labs as a research assistant - 2 were summer long, one was for a year
Had an internship at a health advocacy organization in nyc for a semester
presented sociology research at an undergraduate conference on health & society

Applied: (either for Health Policy or for general track if there was no HPM) Dartmouth, Emory, Tufts, Brown, U Mich, Columbia, Yale, GWU, BU, UCLA, UCB

Accepted: Dartmouth, Emory, Tufts, Brown, UCLA, Columbia!!!!!
Interview at U Mich scheduled for March 18

Rejected:

Waitlisted:

I will post dates soon! Congrats everyone!!!!

Congrats to all of those who were accepted!

I'm waiting to hear from HSPH, and it's killing me how seemingly random their decision-sending-out process is.
Tell me about it. I've spent the past few weeks constantly re-reading old threads and trying to divine a method to the madness that is decisions timing. Zero luck till now, though! :)

Congratulations on the acceptances, everyone!

In at UNC as of today! Waiting on Harvard and Columbia (policy and management). Initiate email refreshing every 30 seconds...

Lols @ email refreshing... I have been doing that all day long :) knowing they start mailing decisions around 4th friday of february, it just came in when I got tired of refreshing. They'll start sending out others soon. Good luck

I am beginning to think that HPM decisions take the longest to hear back from. I hope I am wrong and all HSPH decisions go out at once. Wouldnt that be something?? This forum would go nuts with people posting RAW if we all heard at the same time from all schools. in the meantime...refreshing 9-5.

"I am delighted to inform you of your acceptance to the Department of Population and Family Health Full-Time MPH program beginning in August 2013 with a certificate in Global Health."

:)

Congrats!