Rejection feelings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What describes your feelings upon rejection

• sad

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • disappointed

Votes: 79 44.6%
  • indifferent

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • furious

Votes: 31 17.5%

• Total voters

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
stated another way, when you read a rejection letter (from a school in which you have a fair amount of interest, maybe even a lot) do you:
  • cry, inwardly or outwardly--how tragic, my dreams are shattered
  • sigh, a little milder than the previous--acceptance wouldve been nice, have to move on now but wearily
  • shrug, some were bound to happen--the crapshoot didnt work in my favor
  • tear it to pieces/crumple it/throw it--those fuc|<ers, theyre missing out

i guess this applies to rejection in general. just wondering how ppl feel. fury for me personally

Members don't see this ad.

For me, I think it really depends on the school. Sometimes I'm like "Well that was definitely expected", mostly I feel a little disappointed (so that's what I voted for) but I just think "I guess it wasn't meant to be". The only one that made me mad was UC Davis.

IMHO, i think the pre-interview hold makes me more upset than the rejection. The rejection at least brings closure and allows me to move on, the "hold" makes me feel like I am just on the cusp of being acceptable. That's not a good feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
IMHO, i think the pre-interview hold makes me more upset than the rejection. The rejection at least brings closure and allows me to move on, the "hold" makes me feel like I am just on the cusp of being acceptable. That's not a good feeling.
All too true. Stupid on hold status.

Labslave said:
All too true. Stupid on hold status.
Love your avatar, Labslave

tacrum43 said:
For me, I think it really depends on the school. Sometimes I'm like "Well that was definitely expected", mostly I feel a little disappointed (so that's what I voted for) but I just think "I guess it wasn't meant to be". The only one that made me mad was UC Davis.
tacrum, identical feelings here. So far it's been like eh, oh well, too bad, wasn't meant to be.
until I got the UCD one. That one kinda crushed me, I was sooo upset.

Shredder said:
stated another way, when you read a rejection letter (from a school in which you have a fair amount of interest, maybe even a lot) do you:
  • cry, inwardly or outwardly--how tragic, my dreams are shattered
  • sigh, a little milder than the previous--acceptance wouldve been nice, have to move on now but wearily
  • shrug, some were bound to happen--the crapshoot didnt work in my favor
  • tear it to pieces/crumple it/throw it--those fuc|<ers, theyre missing out

i guess this applies to rejection in general. just wondering how ppl feel. fury for me personally

You forgot "happy"... I was rejected from Mayo after the phone interview and realized I actually felt some sort of "glee" upon reading the rejection letter. It made me realize what I already knew...I was applying there purely for the pricetag. Nothing about Mayo otherwise is a very good fit for me. But the massive amount of scholarship money and it's general reputation would have been hard to turn down if I had ended up getting in.
So happy. I chose indifferent though.

coco said:
tacrum, identical feelings here. So far it's been like eh, oh well, too bad, wasn't meant to be.
until I got the UCD one. That one kinda crushed me, I was sooo upset.

Well, maybe not quite identical. :)

I was angry (not crushed) about UC Davis rejecting me (again) pre-secondary, and that they do it by e-mail was the icing on the cow pie. :mad:

UCI rejecting me last year was crushing though. :( Hmm, and I was having that nice buzz about a fresh interview too (not from a CA school of course). I'm just going to pretend from now on that there are not really any medical schools in California. Denial can be a wonderful thing. :p

And didn't you interview at UCSF, coco? What is up with Davis?

I think the first rejection from somewhere I really was interested in going was the hardest. I'll admit it... I had a five min. sobfest for that one. The second was disappointing with a little indiference thrown in... Now that I have been accepted though, there is no reason to be too disappointed or upset with any future rejections. Not one, but two schools liked me enough to offer me an acceptance in the first round they sent out. I guess in my book this sort of compensates for everybody else telling me I'm not worthy or just stringing me along.

My pre-int rejections so far have been from schools with significantly lower rankings/entry stats lower than some of the ones I've been accepted at. So it's less anger (because I'm glad I didn't waste money going there) and more... :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm pretty happy with how the process has gone for me overall. So when I get rejection letters now it's 50% indifference and 50% "SUCK IT", complete with DX hand gesture. :p

tacrum43 said:

Yup. I'm disappointed when it's a reach school, and furious when it's a school I basically assumed I'd get in at. Serves me right I guess :rolleyes: And then there are schools that never respond, and I stop caring after a while. I still think waitlists are the worst though.

It depends. My first one was really disappointing, because it was my top choice going into this process, and it was really early (pre-secondary). After I was accepted, I didn't care as much about getting rejected any more.

Members don't see this ad :)
tacrum43 said:
Well, maybe not quite identical. :)

I was angry (not crushed) about UC Davis rejecting me (again) pre-secondary, and that they do it by e-mail was the icing on the cow pie. :mad:

UCI rejecting me last year was crushing though. :( Hmm, and I was having that nice buzz about a fresh interview too (not from a CA school of course). I'm just going to pretend from now on that there are not really any medical schools in California. Denial can be a wonderful thing. :p

And didn't you interview at UCSF, coco? What is up with Davis?
yeah i did interview at UCSF but that was kinda unexpected, my mcat is way below their average so that one was like omg wtf?! hehe. not quite sure where it came from.

UCD rejection bothered me cuz it was post secondary and I had gone through writing all the essays. I haven't even heard from UCLA or UCSD since amcas for that matter, but whatever, it's all their loss. tacrum, im with u on that denial thing ;) hehe

DNM503 said:
You forgot "happy"... I was rejected from Mayo after the phone interview and realized I actually felt some sort of "glee" upon reading the rejection letter. It made me realize what I already knew...I was applying there purely for the pricetag. Nothing about Mayo otherwise is a very good fit for me. But the massive amount of scholarship money and it's general reputation would have been hard to turn down if I had ended up getting in.
So happy. I chose indifferent though.

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping to be rejected by one particular school that I applied to mainly because of the prestige factor. I'll probably feel relieved because rejection will make my decision easier.

for all the schools i was just disappointed.

now they're starting to settle in and i'm like **** YOU CASE AND PRITZKER YOU @#$(* (#@$(* (*$*%(#$%*(#$*dinguses%(* *(#$%*@(#*$#&uafsdf&*@#*$*(@# ****ING ****

and then i'm ok.

then i think about the schools i've been complete at for 4 months, and realize they're all going to reject me because they've had my app for so long and are probably using it for toilet paper. and then i'm like **** YOU NYU MT SINAI ALBERT EINSTEIN MARYLAND $%(@ ()()(fdsjASSHOLES!!! ;LKAJSDF98203984092834

:eek: holy crap where did all that anger come from?

:( when i get rejected, i get pissed off. especially when the schools that reject me suck. i don't know that the schools want. my mcat score sucks, but i'm smarter than a lot of ppl with higher mcat scores at my school :mad:

I first rejections didn't seem too bad because I had so many schools left, but now it hurts to be rejected because it's getting late in the process and it's happening at schools that I really wanted to go to.

really angry, then I got an acceptance at a place I will be happy at(going there regardless of how the rest turns out) now just shrug-I guess it is where you are at in this process that has an effect on you, I have my opportunity thats alll I really wanted anyways-simple man I guess

Since I already have one acceptance the rejections don't feel as bad. Getting put on the alternate list at my alma matta pissed me off though. Its like you bust your ass to end up in the top 1-5% of your own school and that still isn't good enough. They can kiss off any future donations from me though. Id imagine that if I didn't have an acceptance Id get pissed off at every single rejection.

I get a little irrational for a few hours, ie, "OMG, they know that I haven't done the dishes in four days and that makes me totally undeserving of medical school, hmmm, I wonder if this rejection letter would taste like chocolate if I closed my eyes and pretend really hard ..."

But now I have an acceptance, so I wonder if rejection will feel different.
(I *do* have a problem accepting criticism, but I'm working on it.)

StevenRF said:
Since I already have one acceptance the rejections don't feel as bad. Getting put on the alternate list at my alma matta pissed me off though. Its like you bust your ass to end up in the top 1-5% of your own school and that still isn't good enough. They can kiss off any future donations from me though. Id imagine that if I didn't have an acceptance Id get pissed off at every single rejection.

I can't believe they waitlisted you. The strongest UCs are pulling for you/have accepted you...it just doesn't make sense. (I would be angry, too.)

i think the poll should have the option for "increased anxiety."

In my case it actually depended. I mean when Albany rejected me I was furious.(Given how slow they were to validate me it seemed funny they could reject so quickly so I figured, "Hey, those bastages really rejected me pre-secondary, they just wanted a quick $100 out of me.") MCW I was more of "Meh" since I only applied since they seemed interested in me.(Guess not, huh?) I didn't mind Hawaii much since they rejected me pre-secondary so I didn't waste any time or mind on them.

argonana said:
I can't believe they waitlisted you. The strongest UCs are pulling for you/have accepted you...it just doesn't make sense. (I would be angry, too.)

I've come to realize that nothing in this process makes any sense at all. I guess the part that really blows though is that most of my friends are staying in LA. The only way I can stay now is if UCLA works out.

Still, anyone else have that bitter "Ill show you!" feeling in the pit of their stomach to go onward and kick some ass? However, the same thing happened when I was applying to undergrad. The school I wanted to attend, caltech, didn't work out and I ended up at SC and had a blast. I bet med school will be similar. Here's to going where ever the wind takes me.