Rejection Thread (If you are depressed, please avoid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i also interviewed at CUNY. they're supposed to give answers around the 15th. who interviewed you? and is it high on your list?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am new to this (a friend gave me the link, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!), and I had a few questions. I saw that a few people got rejection letters from CUNY and George Washington's PhD program. If you read this, did you have interviews at those schools? I interviewed at both and have not gotten any follow-up yet. Also, has anyone heard anything from the University of Connecticut? I interviewed at the end of January and also haven't heard anything! I'm taking that as a bad sign, but I heard their 2nd interview day was canceled and rescheduled because of snow, so maybe it's delayed their process?! Oh, also, has anyone heard anything from UVA's Curry School?

FYI - I am on the waiting list for the Rutger's PsyD program (email) and the Virginia Consortium PsyD program (called me today) and I was rejected from UMass Boston and Fordham (both by email).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not/when it is appropriate to email a POI and follow-up/ask about my status?

Thanks!!!!!!
I did not interview at GW, so the rejection was expected... but unfortunately that doesn't help you out much in figuring out what's going on with them.

Hey all,

I am new to this (a friend gave me the link, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!), and I had a few questions. I saw that a few people got rejection letters from CUNY and George Washington's PhD program. If you read this, did you have interviews at those schools? I interviewed at both and have not gotten any follow-up yet. Also, has anyone heard anything from the University of Connecticut? I interviewed at the end of January and also haven't heard anything! I'm taking that as a bad sign, but I heard their 2nd interview day was canceled and rescheduled because of snow, so maybe it's delayed their process?! Oh, also, has anyone heard anything from UVA's Curry School?

FYI - I am on the waiting list for the Rutger's PsyD program (email) and the Virginia Consortium PsyD program (called me today) and I was rejected from UMass Boston and Fordham (both by email).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not/when it is appropriate to email a POI and follow-up/ask about my status?

Thanks!!!!!!

If you're interested, in the acceptance thread, I posted an example e-mail that worked quite well for me, as far as getting info is concerned... :) g'luck

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent out rejections today for the child clinical PhD program via snail mail. :sleep:

Do the acceptance letters always come in bigger envelopes? What size should I be expecting for good news???

Acceptance "letters" almost always come in the form of emails or phone calls. If you get a mailed letter, that's never a good sign.

Also...in terms of the 3:1, 6:1, 10:1 ratio thing. I hate to say it really depends on the program, but it does. First, students are often interested in 2 or 3 professors, so while it looks like there are 8 people applying...it's not exactly true. Professors may also take more than one person. Lastly, some people are accepted by the program, instead of the POI, especially when it comes to places where you might be a TA. If the funding isn't coming via research, there may be 3 spots for TAs, and 4 professors who want students. So, not everyone is allowed to take a student, even if you're the only person being interviewed.

I did not interview at GW, so the rejection was expected... but unfortunately that doesn't help you out much in figuring out what's going on with them.

Did your GW letter come from the Admissions office and not from the psych department....their letter made it sound like they never passed my app along to Psychology-- weird!

Well I emailed schools that I'm still waiting for, to see where I stood with them since I've had an offer from PGSP. Just heard that I'm rejected by Oregon (which is sad 'cause it's a fantastic program, but VERY competitive so I understand), and Illinois at Chicago was confusing. They've extended offers to some people, and she wasn't sure how many more would be going out. She said either way I'll hear in the next four weeks. That's cutting it close. :(

I suppose there's no use pretending I am waiting for news when I got the call that means I am ...sigh... not going to graduate school in the fall. No UW Adult Clinical for me. My POI called last night. She had a lot of positives for me... but one glaring negative that I'm having issues putting out of my mind. Forget the fact that it was my top choice, and the only school where I interviewed... It's hard to make myself realize I won't be back in school in the fall. BOO.

Surely this feeling will go away... and it's certianly less acute than last night. Good luck to everyone still waiting though. It's more or less crunch time, so just keep in mind that it will all be over soon... and this is the home stretch!:D

I just got a mailed letter TODAY that was an acceptance letter. It was in a small envelope. So, you never know.

Acceptance "letters" almost always come in the form of emails or phone calls. If you get a mailed letter, that's never a good sign.

Also...in terms of the 3:1, 6:1, 10:1 ratio thing. I hate to say it really depends on the program, but it does. First, students are often interested in 2 or 3 professors, so while it looks like there are 8 people applying...it's not exactly true. Professors may also take more than one person. Lastly, some people are accepted by the program, instead of the POI, especially when it comes to places where you might be a TA. If the funding isn't coming via research, there may be 3 spots for TAs, and 4 professors who want students. So, not everyone is allowed to take a student, even if you're the only person being interviewed.

I just got a mailed letter TODAY that was an acceptance letter. It was in a small envelope. So, you never know.

*pictures someone tearing up acceptance letter without opening it because he/she presumes that it is yet another pesky rejection* :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, that seriously sucks! :( If it makes you feel any better, it may have been that you were the only one that could come to interview day. I had a conflict with one of my schools (their interview day was the same as another school that called me first), so I interviewed a week later. So my POI actually interviewed 4 while only 3 were there on the "official" day.

From what I heard (because I thought of that and tried to investigate), I was, in fact the only person. Also, my POI said in an e-mail that she held off contacting me in case there was any movement on the waiting list, but there wasn't. I think there are more professors that interviewed people than can take people for the target class size, so there's an overall waitlist. That's my theory. So bizarre.

Oops! I guess I'm wrong! I still say it's much more likely to get the original acceptance through email or phone call, but not exclusively. Please...no one rip up envelopes without looking at them!

i just received a post-interview rejection voice mail from the northwestern-feinberg school program....sigh:(

Not clinical psych, but I received a snail mail letter from Depaul University for I/O PhD. They said they had over 70 applicants, well apparently I was towards the bottom of those.

Rejected today via snail mail from Miami University Ohio. <sniff, sniff> :(

While I knew it was coming (no interview - you can't sneak these things past me!) I don't get this one. I was such a great match for my POI, interest-wise. And my GPA rocks, and my GRE scores fit in with their means. Maybe the crop was just better this year than last year's averages. *sigh*

...life goes on...:oops:

Officially rejected via a letter in the mail, from U. of Hartford. Mmm hmm now am 1:4 and waiting on 4 more.... :thumbdown:

Snail mail rejection from Simon Fraser University this morning.

that's so awesome dubbs07! congrats!!!

Snail mail rejection from Simon Fraser University this morning.

Me too, RayneeDeigh :(. Can't win 'em all...Still waiting to hear from BC schools.

Ermmm.. apparently the other applicant turned down that offer because I just got a phone call from my POI. I got an offer. I can't believe it. :eek:

CONGRATS!!! First of all! Pitt is supurb! Who was your POI if you don't mind me asking? Will you accept? It's such a great prog?

UNC was one of the schools I had been assuming rejection from, and I got in the mail what I THOUGHT was my official rejection letter (dated March 13th), but the second paragraph says this:

"The research interests within the Department of Psychology encompass a large number of subspecialties. However, the subspecialty in which you have expressed an interest as a basis for graduate work is not currently available within our graduate program."

Now...I e-mailed back and forth with my POI, who agreed we had matching research interests, and I put his name in my personal statement. Did other people's rejection letters say this paragraph? Do they just always say that? I'm so confused. And why did they take so long to send this to me? It's not even dated until March 13th, so it's not like they just had it in a to-be-sent pile long ago.

Has anyone gotten a post-interview rejection/ acceptance into the master's program?

you can PM me if you'd like -- thanks!

wrong thread and now i can't delete it...

Stony Brook sent out rejection letters via snail mail.

I got a rejection from NYU - Social in the mail today.

In response to a bunch of posts...

For UNC, I got a rejection too, but not about research interests as the previous poster mentioned. It was a very general one about how there are too many qualified applicants, blah blah

Also, rejected from GWU

Finally, I too got an acceptance in the form of a small envelope. So, you never know!

got a rejection letter from rutgers psyd... very nice

waitlisted at Mass School of Professional Psychology, which is essentially rejection since they don't take folks off until after April 15th

I still have yet to get ANY word from 3 schools! UC-Santa Barbara, USC, & GSU. Does this mean there is no hope for those schools?

1. SUNY Stony Brook
2. Indiana University (Bloomington)
3. Uni New Mexico

?

Rejected today via snail mail from Miami University Ohio. <sniff, sniff> :(

While I knew it was coming (no interview - you can't sneak these things past me!) I don't get this one. I was such a great match for my POI, interest-wise. And my GPA rocks, and my GRE scores fit in with their means. Maybe the crop was just better this year than last year's averages. *sigh*

+1
Had a great match there and received excellent feedback from my POI prior to applying. Strange how some of your best matched programs don't interview you and some of the weaker matches do.

...I haven't received my letter yet so maybe they thought I was so great an interview wasn't needed!:rolleyes:

Just got an email from my POI at Memphis: Rejected

Off the waitlist, into the rejection category it looks like for Missouri-Columbia. I interviewed there (notified via phone), was told via e-mail that I was waitlisted, and got a letter in the mail today that was a rejection. Funny how it got less and less personal. :)

In response to a bunch of posts...

For UNC, I got a rejection too, but not about research interests as the previous poster mentioned. It was a very general one about how there are too many qualified applicants, blah blah

Also, rejected from GWU

Finally, I too got an acceptance in the form of a small envelope. So, you never know!

Was the GWU rejection for their PhD or PsyD, and was it post-interview?

Well I only interviewed at Missouri and on the phone with Stony Brook, and now I've been rejected from both (same day, actually), so I'm going to look for jobs full force now. I just graduated in December, so it's not that big of a deal. I'll just try again in a couple years!

Just got my official rejection letters in the mail today. Neither was much of a surprise since I had already received one rejection via e-mail (Stony Brook), and one semi-rejection from UMBC (incomplete app), and I did not interview at either school.
In other news, I am still enjoying the delightful feeling of being a "very strong alternate", "high on the waitlist" and waitlisted with the addition that "the faculty think I am a very good fit with the program" at my other schools. :D
And all this after I declined an offer from a school that I knew was not a good fit. (Meaning, I currently have no other offers, and I declined the one I did get despite being waitlisted everywhere else. Anyone else out here that __________ (fill in the blank with the personality adjective of choice) to do the same thing?)

I too just got my rejection letter for that program. I also got Clark last week. Both of those were expected since I didn't interview.

Burned by SUNY Stony Brook. Oh well... now I can make my final decision...

weeee!

*ella:love:

I feel ok about doing this now, having gotten into my first choice but here's my list, if it helps anyone:

Rejected from:
Ohio State
Wayne State
University at Waterloo
University of Rochester (post interview)

Not yet rejected from:
Northwestern Evanston
University of Illinois, Chicago

just read this - sorry man, that completely sucks. while a tad painful to swallow, at least you were able to receive some honest feedback from your POI. one negative (which may not be a negative to other progs) can be worked on (or, if not, you have time to come up with a reason why it's not a negative for the next app cycle). sometimes though an extra year can put in you in a very good spot. i mean, everybody wants to rush to get into grad school, but sometimes that rush limits their choices where waiting a year would have opened up a lot of additional opportunities. good luck with the next time you apply dude

Thanks... encouragement is always appreciated! (Also, should I remind you I'm a girl? :D)

I emailed/ called the Canadian schools I was waiting to hear from in the last few days - All rejections! My POI in each was very friendly though when answering my email telling me the news:

UBC
York
McGill

Called the psych secretary:
Concordia

I was kind of expecting it so it's ok...

Rejected via mail. Nice paper though...to wipe my ass with!