Relationship Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I may be in the same LDR boat before long. It's been really nice living together too. Could maybe find work here, but after graduation she'll probably move back home and get a job there while I stay here for the next 3ish years to finish my PhD. I'm not worried about our relationship, but I dunno...I'm somewhat conflicted on what to do with my life.

Finishing vet school never really felt real until this point, it's weird thinking ahead.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I may be in the same LDR boat before long. It's been really nice living together too. Could maybe find work here, but after graduation she'll probably move back home and get a job there while I stay here for the next 3ish years to finish my PhD. I'm not worried about our relationship, but I dunno...I'm somewhat conflicted on what to do with my life.

Finishing vet school never really felt real until this point, it's weird thinking ahead.
We're all here for you, FS.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah I thought I'd be in vet school forever

Welp, we can count another relationship as sacrificed to the vet school gods. Gotta love when all of the effort becomes one sided and you can tell the other person doesn't want to be involved anymore, but they took months to admit it to themselves.

:(

Welp, we can count another relationship as sacrificed to the vet school gods. Gotta love when all of the effort becomes one sided and you can tell the other person doesn't want to be involved anymore, but they took months to admit it to themselves.

Oh no PP, I am so sorry :(

Oh no PP, I am so sorry :(
Thanks. it's been a rocky semester for us in general...so I don't know that he won't cool down and call me, but he really has always hated the 6 hours between us and I think he finally just reached his breaking point. Things can only go up for me at this point, though, so there's the silver lining...I guess?

So very sorry, PP. Sending lots of hugs your way.

:(:(:(

You guys are the best. We finally spent a few hours on the phone. We're going to try to just talk. Not rushing into anything yet, but it's a little glimmer of hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are the best. We finally spent a few hours on the phone. We're going to try to just talk. Not rushing into anything yet, but it's a little glimmer of hope.

How are you doing? <3

How are you doing? <3
aww thanks for checking on me :kiss:

I'm a ball of confusion now....today we had to discuss why I am no longer moving in with him as soon as Thanksgiving break. He didn't understand why I thought it wasn't the best idea. Engineers :rolleyes: I'm just angry right now that he said what he had said Saturday, and he knows that, but it's tough for me not to completely unload on him. I just know if I did that, it would set us back another few steps.

Edit: I should probably elaborate more and say we decided to get back together.

Last edited:
aww thanks for checking on me :kiss:

I'm a ball of confusion now....today we had to discuss why I am no longer moving in with him as soon as Thanksgiving break. He didn't understand why I thought it wasn't the best idea. Engineers :rolleyes: I'm just angry right now that he said what he had said Saturday, and he knows that, but it's tough for me not to completely unload on him. I just know if I did that, it would set us back another few steps.

Edit: I should probably elaborate more and say we decided to get back together.

One day at a time right? Living together worked out nicely for my Hubsy and I, but we have a couple of months to get used to that before I was off to vet school and suddenly he does all the house chores (He doesn't really but probs like...60%).

One day at a time right? Living together worked out nicely for my Hubsy and I, but we have a couple of months to get used to that before I was off to vet school and suddenly he does all the house chores (He doesn't really but probs like...60%).
Yeah, one day at a time. There's a lot more to my feelings than I'm letting on because I don't want to dump on you guys. I just find it kind of funny that only two days later he expects me to be totally back to normal. First he says he doesn't regret Saturday because he was unhappy, then he says he does regret it. I guess I'm just not holding my breath here because I don't know if someone can say the things he said and then suddenly take them all back like he's trying to.

One day at a time.

Yeah, one day at a time. There's a lot more to my feelings than I'm letting on because I don't want to dump on you guys. I just find it kind of funny that only two days later he expects me to be totally back to normal. First he says he doesn't regret Saturday because he was unhappy, then he says he does regret it. I guess I'm just not holding my breath here because I don't know if someone can say the things he said and then suddenly take them all back like he's trying to.

One day at a time.
I'm so sorry you're going through this :( To me it is entirely unfair and unacceptable for him to jerk you back and forth like that. If you're gonna say stuff like that then you'd better mean it, and taking it back two days later doesn't mean immediate forgiveness. I know you guys aren't married but it's like if someone handed you divorce papers and then two days later took them back (but like, kept them in their back pocket) and expected everything to be ok. It's not ok.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so sorry you're going through this :( To me it is entirely unfair and unacceptable for him to jerk you back and forth like that. If you're gonna say stuff like that then you'd better mean it, and taking it back two days later doesn't mean immediate forgiveness. I know you guys aren't married but it's like if someone handed you divorce papers and then two days later took them back (but like, kept them in their back pocket) and expected everything to be ok. It's not ok.
Yeah, agreed. I get saying stuff in the heat of the moment because we were definitely having a big fight, but he calmly told me what he said. Pulled the rug out from under me, basically. I'm trying to get him to understand that I don't know how long it will be before I can trust him when he says "I love you" but that I hope I can feel comfortable with him again. I do love him so much and I'm very willing to work things out, but we'll see. I've sorta been through this before with my last ex, so maybe it's me somehow.

Yeah, agreed. I get saying stuff in the heat of the moment because we were definitely having a big fight, but he calmly told me what he said. Pulled the rug out from under me, basically. I'm trying to get him to understand that I don't know how long it will be before I can trust him when he says "I love you" but that I hope I can feel comfortable with him again. I do love him so much and I'm very willing to work things out, but we'll see. I've sorta been through this before with my last ex, so maybe it's me somehow.
I've had enough people in my life who say things, then later say they didn't mean them and expect it to be like nothing ever happened. It's extremely frustrating to deal with. Forgiveness is easy enough, but forgetting is not. The problem is that you know that those things wouldn't have been said if there wasn't some true feeling behind them. All you can do is try to express to him that he hurt you and that it is going to take time for that to heal. And he's going to have to make an effort to show you that it's not just going to happen again, and that he's not just suppressing whatever it was that he was feeling that made him say what he did. Because that **** will just come back to the surface the next time things get rough, and that's no way for a relationship to function. I really hope things work out and that you guys come to a better understanding somehow.

Reactions: 1 users
I've had enough people in my life who say things, then later say they didn't mean them and expect it to be like nothing ever happened. It's extremely frustrating to deal with. Forgiveness is easy enough, but forgetting is not. The problem is that you know that those things wouldn't have been said if there wasn't some true feeling behind them. All you can do is try to express to him that he hurt you and that it is going to take time for that to heal. And he's going to have to make an effort to show you that it's not just going to happen again, and that he's not just suppressing whatever it was that he was feeling that made him say what he did. Because that **** will just come back to the surface the next time things get rough, and that's no way for a relationship to function. I really hope things work out and that you guys come to a better understanding somehow.
Exactly, and it's terrifying. He claims he said what he said in order to really shove me off so I wouldn't try to chase after him. Maybe I shouldn't have. Lots of thinking I need to do, if I'll ever have time.

Kinda going to steal the thread here, but I just need to share. My boyfriend and I have been together for a little over a year now. He’s a former medic so he’s 26, I’m about to be 21, and he’s currently going back to school at my university. I love him dearly and we’ve discussed getting married. We are both committed to each other and he’s already told me he’ll go wherever I go.

We wanted to move in together over the summer, but my family wasn’t keen on that, so I live in my apartment and he lives at his. I don’t get to see him as much as I used to because of conflicting schedules, but every time I talk to him on the phone or see him it makes my day.

In theory, I know he wants to propose within the next six months to a year. I’m nervous, but I look forward to being with him in marriage. Ironically what I’m most nervous about is trying to schedule in a wedding that isn’t even ‘official’ yet. I think it would be best to do it before vet school, but I also don’t want to rush. Plus, he’s two semesters behind me, so regardless, my first year at vet school we probably will be LDR. I just…ugh…I know that should be sooo far away in my mind right now, but it feels like time is getting faster and faster every year

Kinda going to steal the thread here, but I just need to share. My boyfriend and I have been together for a little over a year now. He’s a former medic so he’s 26, I’m about to be 21, and he’s currently going back to school at my university. I love him dearly and we’ve discussed getting married. We are both committed to each other and he’s already told me he’ll go wherever I go.

We wanted to move in together over the summer, but my family wasn’t keen on that, so I live in my apartment and he lives at his. I don’t get to see him as much as I used to because of conflicting schedules, but every time I talk to him on the phone or see him it makes my day.

In theory, I know he wants to propose within the next six months to a year. I’m nervous, but I look forward to being with him in marriage. Ironically what I’m most nervous about is trying to schedule in a wedding that isn’t even ‘official’ yet. I think it would be best to do it before vet school, but I also don’t want to rush. Plus, he’s two semesters behind me, so regardless, my first year at vet school we probably will be LDR. I just…ugh…I know that should be sooo far away in my mind right now, but it feels like time is getting faster and faster every year
It's not a bad idea to have a rough idea in my opinion. As long as you guys are actually communicating about the plans, I don't see why it'd be an issue. I don't necessarily recommend trying to plan a wedding during vet school, but it's not impossible. You may just have a longer planning phase.

I wouldn't go about booking a venue until you guys are actually engaged, though, if that's what you were getting at.

Plenty of people get married during vet school. I have a couple classmates planning their weddings, I'm planning mine (or like...I will be over winter break lol), it'll be fine. But if you want to get it done before vet school that's fine too. I wouldn't stress yourself about it right now but it's not a horrible idea to figure out when you would want it to happen.

It's not a bad idea to have a rough idea in my opinion. As long as you guys are actually communicating about the plans, I don't see why it'd be an issue. I don't necessarily recommend trying to plan a wedding during vet school, but it's not impossible. You may just have a longer planning phase.

I wouldn't go about booking a venue until you guys are actually engaged, though, if that's what you were getting at.

Ha, trust me, I'm not that much of an over planner. Up until we got together, I was a passionate member of the not getting married club. meaning this whole world of engagement and pinterest wedding boards is a fascinating but dangerous head in the clouds hobby. :rolleyes:

Ha, trust me, I'm not that much of an over planner. Up until we got together, I was a passionate member of the not getting married club. meaning this whole world of engagement and pinterest wedding boards is a fascinating but dangerous head in the clouds hobby. :rolleyes:
Yep, I completely relate to that!

Me and the BF currently discussing pros and cons of marriage before vet school or after the 1st year of vet school (provided I get in this summer). Anyone do either of these things? The LDR prospect is daunting, as is planning a wedding during my first year :scared: I hate the variability of the application cycle and not knowing where I'm going live/be in the next year. Makes all of these decisions even harder.
Have to admit, things would be a hell of a lot easier without vet school in the mix.

Your situation sounds so similar to mine! We've been trying to tentatively plan a date, but it definitely feels weird since it's not official yet. Though I can't offer much advice, as I'm struggling with the same decision, at least know you aren't alone!

Me and the BF currently discussing pros and cons of marriage before vet school or after the 1st year of vet school (provided I get in this summer). Anyone do either of these things? The LDR prospect is daunting, as is planning a wedding during my first year :scared: I hate the variability of the application cycle and not knowing where I'm going live/be in the next year. Makes all of these decisions even harder.
Have to admit, things would be a hell of a lot easier without vet school in the mix.
LDR is not impossible. Don't rule it out.

We got married between 2nd and 3rd year. Planning during school (and for me, from another country) was miserable but you make it work. Did LDR all four years and while I don't wish it on anyone, we made it through and are very happy :) Read back through this thread as the same topic has been rehashed multiple times. Feel free to PM if you'd like :)

Man, listening to everyone here trying to figure out how to plan weddings during school just reminds me of how much I would really just like to go to a courthouse when I'm eventually with someone I'd like to marry. I hate big events, I hate coordinating with my family, and I hate being the center of an event. I just want a spouse, a cake, some booze, and a honeymoon.

Man, listening to everyone here trying to figure out how to plan weddings during school just reminds me of how much I would really just like to go to a courthouse when I'm eventually with someone I'd like to marry. I hate big events, I hate coordinating with my family, and I hate being the center of an event. I just want a spouse, a cake, some booze, and a honeymoon.
It was truly a fantastic decision. The post-courthouse celebratory cheese fries were also a solid idea, in case you need suggestions. :p

Reactions: 6 users

I feel the same way but in the end, the wedding is mostly about other people (family, friends) and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I still wish we'd gotten married with our immediate family present and just gone to dinner afterwards, but in the end I think it was worth sucking it up for the day so our family and friends weren't hurt. (Obviously everyone's family situation is different, but we're pretty close to ours.)

It was truly a fantastic decision. The post-courthouse celebratory cheese fries were also a solid idea, in case you need suggestions. :p
Cheese fries are always a solid idea.

I feel the same way but in the end, the wedding is mostly about other people (family, friends) and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I still wish we'd gotten married with our immediate family present and just gone to dinner afterwards, but in the end I think it was worth sucking it up for the day so our family and friends weren't hurt. (Obviously everyone's family situation is different, but we're pretty close to ours.)

Yeah, when I was younger I was more into the idea of a big wedding where everyone could just come and have a good time and celebrate my marriage, but now the thought of trying to please even my own family (let alone a spouse's) at a wedding kind of makes me sick to my stomach. My mom and dad can't stand to be in the same room as one another (and don't speak to one another), my dad's side of the family all hate my dad/my sister/my mom/my stepdad/my mom's side of the family but mostly like me (so would want to come), and my stepdad and my dad are usually thirty seconds away from a fight at all times. My friends would also complicate a wedding immensely, as I'm very close to a lot of LGBT+ people and I have a ton of family members who are outright against that sort of thing and would start a scene over it at a wedding.

There's also the issue of who would walk me down the aisle, as I'm positive there would be an actual fistfight between my stepdad and my dad over who would get to do so. I know I can talk to them about being nice for my own sake, but at previous events where we had to have the same conversation, there was nothing but negativity from them and stress on my end and it just wasn't worth it. They couldn't keep it together for like an hour and a half for my graduation, so I doubt they could even remotely manage a full day of wedding activities (plus things like rehearsal dinners).

Of course any hypothetical wedding plans I have would also depend a lot on the future spouse's desires/needs as well. I don't want to shoot down something as potentially important to my spouse as a whole traditional wedding just so we can cater to my own preferences.

And, uh, whoops, this post ended up being a lot more ranty than I was anticipating. It's frustrating sometimes when family junk complicates things that shouldn't be that difficult to do in the first place.

I personally think it would be nice to get married very close to either an In-N-Out or a taco stand. :thinking:

LDR is not impossible. Don't rule it out.

Oh no, I don't think it's impossible and I'm not ruling it out at all!! I am actually leaning towards waiting after year 1 of vet school to get married. I know it's definitely possible, and I know that will can get through that if need be. Doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it though.

My wedding probably won't be much more than this, but because of money rather than family things. I probably am going to offend some people but I simply can't afford to have 100 people there, I'm not even sure I can afford 50. My mom and I are going to try to get the bulk of the planning done over winter break so we'll see how it goes.

My wedding probably won't be much more than this, but because of money rather than family things. I probably am going to offend some people but I simply can't afford to have 100 people there, I'm not even sure I can afford 50. My mom and I are going to try to get the bulk of the planning done over winter break so we'll see how it goes.

I found that if you have the date set for holidays like mother's day or father's day that no one else wants you can save big bucks on the venue. I got 50% off!

Reactions: 3 users
Yes! I have a stepmother that is very dear to me, which makes my mom jealous . I love my family, but blending it isn't easy. plus, my boyfriend has a similar situation: his parents are also divorced. There's no easy way to handle that many families coming together

Watching my sister go through it, wedding planning seems like a pain in the arse. Hers was amazing so I'm sure it pays off and some of it is fun, but that sort of thing does tire me at out after a point. Makes me glad my girlfriend's dad is a professional photographer; knows all the people and places around and has most assuredly had ideas for her wedding long before we ever knew each other lol

Long distance relationships are aweful. Been in one for 2 1/2 years of the 3 1/2 years me and my boyfriend have been together. Its been eating at our relationship recently and it sucks. :(

Long distance relationships are aweful. Been in one for 2 1/2 years of the 3 1/2 years me and my boyfriend have been together. Its been eating at our relationship recently and it sucks. :(
Sounds a lot like my relationship. I moved 1000 miles away 5 months in, was there for almost 8 months. Moved 6 hours away 7 months later to start school. Now that I think about it, we haven't had a single anniversary pass while we were in the same state (he's visited for 2/3 though, the most recent one fell during exams).

You have to really want the relationship to work, that's for sure. You have to take every opportunity you can to see each other, and you can't get lazy. You don't have to talk to each other every minute, but it's easy to get so busy and almost forget to nurture your relationship when you aren't coming home to your SO every night.

My boyfriend and I had a massive blowout fight a month or so ago. We broke up, it was bad, yada yada. We both decided that we absolutely want this to work, and we're putting a lot of effort in. It's only been a few weeks, so hopefully it doesn't fizzle out. Going home for Christmas can only help. The one thing I've learned is that while you have to respect the other persons needs, you deserve to have your needs met as well.

Feel free to message me anytime. I agree, LDRs suck.

Been in an LDR for 3.5 of the 4 years we've been together. It is so tough! We've been really good lately about taking the time to spend together, and visiting whenever we can, even if it's just for a day or so.

Nurturing the relationship is by far the hardest part. There's nothing more that I want than to be able to be there to support my BF in his schooling and through the rough times. And I would love to just have a hug from him on my tough days. But there's only so much we can do when we're hours apart.

Been in an LDR for 3.5 of the 4 years we've been together. It is so tough! We've been really good lately about taking the time to spend together, and visiting whenever we can, even if it's just for a day or so.

Nurturing the relationship is by far the hardest part. There's nothing more that I want than to be able to be there to support my BF in his schooling and through the rough times. And I would love to just have a hug from him on my tough days. But there's only so much we can do when we're hours apart.
Gah, seriously. I hate so much that my boyfriend's (our) first house is something he's figuring out relatively on his own. That's something every couple does together, and I feel like we're missing a huge milestone. On my end, I don't even sleep well if he's not with me.

If anyone needs cheering up about their relationship, I was recently dumped via text message. And we weren't even long distance. We go to the same school and live like 5 minutes apart.

LDR's are so hard... but I think they can even strengthen a relationship in some cases. Being this far apart has made me realize how much I love and appreciate my SO, and that I can't wait to live together again! The hardest thing for me is just missing him... it sucks but I know it will be worth it in the end.

My aunt and uncle did long distance for 4 years of college, and they've been happily married for 25 years now :)

As someone with a lot of intimacy issues, LDRs sound perfect because it's as close as I can get to being single without being asked about it at family functions.

But as someone with a lot of intimacy issues who also happens to have a soul, I could never do that to someone else.

Sounds a lot like my relationship. I moved 1000 miles away 5 months in, was there for almost 8 months. Moved 6 hours away 7 months later to start school. Now that I think about it, we haven't had a single anniversary pass while we were in the same state (he's visited for 2/3 though, the most recent one fell during exams).

You have to really want the relationship to work, that's for sure. You have to take every opportunity you can to see each other, and you can't get lazy. You don't have to talk to each other every minute, but it's easy to get so busy and almost forget to nurture your relationship when you aren't coming home to your SO every night.

My boyfriend and I had a massive blowout fight a month or so ago. We broke up, it was bad, yada yada. We both decided that we absolutely want this to work, and we're putting a lot of effort in. It's only been a few weeks, so hopefully it doesn't fizzle out. Going home for Christmas can only help. The one thing I've learned is that while you have to respect the other persons needs, you deserve to have your needs met as well.

Feel free to message me anytime. I agree, LDRs suck.

Thanks pinkpuppy. I may PM you tomorrow because me and my boyfriend actually had a very similiar situation to yours as well regarding a breakup and then trying to work things out.

If anyone needs cheering up about their relationship, I was recently dumped via text message. And we weren't even long distance. We go to the same school and live like 5 minutes apart.
IMG_0098.JPG

Your life's better without that maroon cramping your style

Reactions: 5 users