Relevancy of PM News

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
>100? Dang. I got… hmm… 0 lol.
2.5 years after graduating I received a generic message from a recruiter asking me to apply to a hospital job on practice link. I had created a practice link account at some point early in residency. And obviously I received a highly flattering request on linkedin from a nursing home chain praising my surgical prowess and asking me to join them in the highly lucrative world of nursing home palliative travel care. I guess they didn't read my negative review on Google where an old man said I cut his nail's too short and left him bleeding and at risk of death.

Members don't see this ad.

Final year resident here. I have gotten less than 5 emails or notifications from recruiters. Our program coordinator occasionally sends out job opportunities, not sure where they are getting those from though. Makes you feel bad when you realize any other type of doctor could find a good paying job anywhere in the country. Even some rural areas I have looked into are saturated with DPMs.

Final year resident here. I have gotten less than 5 emails or notifications from recruiters. Our program coordinator occasionally sends out job opportunities, not sure where they are getting those from though. Makes you feel bad when you realize any other type of doctor could find a good paying job anywhere in the country. Even some rural areas I have looked into are saturated with DPMs.
There are 35 amazing opportunities waiting for you on PM News.

For example - this job opening as been present for like - my entire life. You could be sitting in Dallas metroplex traffic counting your blessings in no time. I recommend getting a toll tag.

1695947509462.png

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

For example - this job opening as been present for like - my entire life. You could be sitting in Dallas metroplex traffic counting your blessings in no time. I recommend getting a toll tag.

View attachment 377245
The Woodlands one is also always open and eager for fresh meat lol

I’m sure Zach Jungles will eventually contact every podiatrist in the country so there’s that 😁🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Same situation man. This job market, really blows. Good thing it’ll be better with more and more surgical trained pods coming through. Hopefully fellowships help?

But in all honesty I’d say it’s safe to assume we can secure a 80-120k job with no to minimal benefits with some hard work and networking

The largest problem with podiatry is the job market. Yah that is a pretty major problem to have. There is not much of one if we are being honest. We are not a mainstream in demand commodity where almost anyone anywhere at anytime can get a fairly good and fairly typical compensation package that typically includes a nice signing bonus, relocation assistance and loan repayment assistance.

The supply and demand of podiatry versus other medical specialties if you include us in that category is absolutely shocking and those who say otherwise are in denial, ignorant or lying.

I am not saying podiatry has no redeeming qualities or it can not work out wonderfully for some. That being said, it is asking an awful lot for potential students to put in the time and expense this profession requires only to face a poor job market where most will still have to create their own opportunity.

There are no easy paths to success and other professions have their pros/cons sure, but most of the desirable other MD/DO career alternatives (PA, CRNA, CAA) are less expensive, less time consuming and offer a good job market. Perhaps many DPM applicants these days would not be accepted to those programs either so there is that also. Almost anyone who could graduate podiatry school though should certainly be capable of getting their BSN and advance that degree to a NP. You can get a BSN as a 4 year college degree and spend 2 more years to become NP. It is not known to be a rigorous curriculum and many work while getting their NP. CRNA programs ban working while in the programs, but those are actually intense programs.

I am not rooting against podiatry or trying to scare anyone away (do your own research), but the ROI and job market need to improve for podiatry to make more sense to more potential applicants. The good, mediocre and bad potential applicants to podiatry schools these days all have tempting alternative career options. I just don’t see the alternative career options becoming less desirable anytime soon. I also do not see things significantly improving for podiatry unless the “application crisis“ to podiatry schools continues for a very long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Same situation man. This job market, really blows. Good thing it’ll be better with more and more surgical trained pods coming through. Hopefully fellowships help?

But in all honesty I’d say it’s safe to assume we can secure a 80-120k job with no to minimal benefits with some hard work and networking
I have not seen anything under 120K in SE USA...

I’m in the Midwest and I earn more as a resident than a couple of my attendings. More than a few have taken less than 80k jobs.

• Haha
  • Wow
It does seem like many places that used to offer 100K have finally increased their salaries to 120K. Perhaps podiatry associate salaries are not entirely inflation proof after all.

I’m in the Midwest and I earn more as a resident than a couple of my attendings. More than a few have taken less than 80k jobs.
It is surprising how even one podiatry residency
can sometimes saturate what many consider a decent sized city. Those 80K salaries are examples of those "wonderful unadvertised jobs" that exist in this profession.

Last edited:
I have found a couple of good paying opportunities but they are in really bad locations.

Did find one hospital that pays well (260k + RVU bonus with good benefits) and is in the suburbs of a large city. If they offer, I’m taking it. Had to cold call this place.

The largest problem with podiatry is the job market. Yah that is a pretty major problem to have. There is not much of one if we are being honest. We are not a mainstream in demand commodity where almost anyone anywhere at anytime can get a fairly good and fairly typical compensation package that typically includes a nice signing bonus, relocation assistance and loan repayment assistance.

The supply and demand of podiatry versus other medical specialties if you include us in that category is absolutely shocking and those who say otherwise are in denial, ignorant or lying.

I am not saying podiatry has no redeeming qualities or it can not work out wonderfully for some. That being said, it is asking an awful lot for potential students to put in the time and expense this profession requires only to face a poor job market where most will still have to create their own opportunity.

There are no easy paths to success and other professions have their pros/cons sure, but most of the desirable other MD/DO career alternatives (PA, CRNA, CAA) are less expensive, less time consuming and offer a good job market. Perhaps many DPM applicants these days would not be accepted to those programs either so there is that also. Almost anyone who could graduate podiatry school though should certainly be capable of getting their BSN and advance that degree to a NP. You can get a BSN as a 4 year college degree and spend 2 more years to become NP. It is not known to be a rigorous curriculum and many work while getting their NP. CRNA programs ban working while in the programs, but those are actually intense programs.

I am not rooting against podiatry or trying to scare anyone away (do your own research), but the ROI and job market need to improve for podiatry to make more sense to more potential applicants. The good, mediocre and bad potential applicants to podiatry schools these days all have tempting alternative career options. I just don’t see the alternative career options becoming less desirable anytime soon. I also do not see things significantly improving for podiatry unless the “application crisis“ to podiatry schools continues for a very long time.
This is the type of honesty that is needed because honestly a lot of people on this site contradict themselves and talk in circles when it comes to podiatry. Honestly there is nothing good about podiatry, absolutely nothing. No one tells you in school about the things that truly matter. The fact that you have to “make” your own opportunities after the hassle of 7 years of subpar education is disgusting. The fact that it’s not a part of mainstream medicine and never will be. You won’t get a good job and will be left struggling. I honestly believe that it isn’t too late for anyone to leave the profession. I honestly believe that people who leave don’t have to be relegated to just doing NP and PA. MD or DO is not out of their reach be that in the states or the Caribbean route. That’s just my opinion. People have left and gotten into both I'm sure. I’m certainly not going to limit my possibilities just because I spent time in podiatry school. Because at the end of the day if a person studies for the MCAT and makes a high score then it’s really nothing admissions can say. Just my 2 cents.

Either you aren't looking or you're being facetious. The SE is over saturated in most major markets: Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, Virginia. Or has poor Podiatry markets due to laws or Ortho: Alabama, MS, LA, parts of NC. Rural areas have ok salaries. SC is better than most spots in the southeast due to being a newly introduced ankle privilege state. Overall though most (not all) salaries are at or below 120k with predatory "bonus" structure.

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 377234
I continually read on this forum of the dismal job market for podiatrists out of residency/fellowship. Maybe someone with strong feelings on the topic should respond to this query.
I had more spam emails inviting me to apply for internal medicine and family medicine positions than podiatry positions

Either you aren't looking or you're being facetious. The SE is over saturated in most major markets: Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, Virginia. Or has poor Podiatry markets due to laws or Ortho: Alabama, MS, LA, parts of NC. Rural areas have ok salaries. SC is better than most spots in the southeast due to being a newly introduced ankle privilege state. Overall though most (not all) salaries are at or below 120k with predatory "bonus" structure.
Yes.

The vast majority of pod listings are PP jobs or mobile with fairly low base pay. Nobody can say they don't see them. They are the majority of DPM job listings in any area... and what most new grads settle for.

Good PP jobs or PE jobs with higher salary (usually 150-200k range) are out there, but they're rarer... and will typically just start your bonus later or make the % lower.

Ortho and MSG and hospital jobs are very rare (for podiatry), and most will be applied to heavily by past grads who couldn't find a job like that direct out of training. Those are possible, but they are also the hardest due to much more competition and most of that competition being exp or even ABFAS cert. They very often require good networking, luck, or location flexibility.

View attachment 377245

That’s the guy who fired an associate of 7 years for successfully negotiating call pay from a hospital where he was seeing people for free.

Also, not too long ago the contract was as follows:

6AE9D0CF-E97D-4799-87C2-83388960A9F4.jpeg

DEDAC0B7-E606-4C43-87CE-0A944F0E2657.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Those extra 2 days of vacation in your 2nd year though, amazing. Make sure the family doesn't get covered in the health insurance either lol.

Came across this gem as well:

1696004086562.png

Wow, six-figures! The fact that they decided to put that in a job description for doctor position as a selling point is sad.

Last edited:
That’s the guy who fired an associate of 5 years for successfully negotiating call pay from a hospital where he was seeing people for free.

Also, not too long ago the contract was as follows:

View attachment 377255
View attachment 377256

Honestly these images should be stickied in a single post thread on the top of the forum titled: “Typical Podiatry Associate Contract”

Every so often I look back at all of my podiatry group associate contracts (I’ve kept them all, for entertainment and motivational purposes), and I can’t believe how ridiculous they all are…

It’s a 5 year contract lol. CME, inflated malpractice premiums and professional dues (aka things you need to legally do the job they are hiring you for) are all used to claim your “guaranteed salary” is $100k and not the $85k you are actually getting paid. You could collect $1 million and you wouldn’t even see 27% of it. And it’s totally normal. I have 2 others that look just like it, at best $10k more generous on the guaranteed salary 🤡

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Honestly these images should be stickied in a single post thread on the top of the forum titled: “Typical Podiatry Associate Contract”

Every so often I look back at all of my podiatry group associate contracts (I’ve kept them all, for entertainment and motivational purposes), and I can’t believe how ridiculous they all are…

It’s a 5 year contract lol. CME, inflated malpractice premiums and professional dues (aka things you need to legally do the job they are hiring you for) are all used to claim your “guaranteed salary” is $100k and not the $85k you are actually getting paid. You could collect $1 million and you wouldn’t even see 27% of it. And it’s totally normal. I have 2 others that look just like it, at best $10k more generous on the guaranteed salary 🤡
Just looked at my very first job offer that I received out of residency last night: $85k base with 25% bonus after 2x calculated on a monthly basis, DME is paid after subtraction of cost.

• Sad
Never removed a calc spur tbh

We are blessed to witness medical evolution, we can tell our grandkids that back in our day people used to remove plantar heel spurs. That’s ok I mean our grand kids will tell their grand kids of the crazy dumb stuff we do now that we think are normal too, it’s the circle of life

More input on the callus saga in todays issue. I love it

Thoughts on menopausal foot pain?

I see a lot of cases of "down-there dryness." I tell most to use a good moisturizer on their feet daily. I dont have enough time to spend with patients to do it for them.

Thoughts on menopausal foot pain?
I did a quick scan about the guy who wrote the article. He wrote a book for the general public, good for him I suppose. In the preview I found on amazon, he mentions his practice in Hudson Valley, NY.

If I am up to date on the Job Offer Thread, I believe he is affiliated with the same practice looking for fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeons for the PP associate positions. No, I haven't verified any of my assertions here, I guess this makes me a gossip 🤐

I did a quick scan about the guy who wrote the article. He wrote a book for the general public, good for him I suppose. In the preview I found on amazon, he mentions his practice in Hudson Valley, NY.

If I am up to date on the Job Offer Thread, I believe he is affiliated with the same practice looking for fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeons for the PP associate positions. No, I haven't verified any of my assertions here, I guess this makes me a gossip 🤐

It’s a funny topic but there probably is some truth to that. I see a staggering number of patients who fit that age in practice with a lot of general foot pain that comes out of nowhere.

It just seems like an absolute landmine to discuss menopause with a patient in private practice.

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 6.32.04 AM.png

We need to start giving medical clearance prior to pedicures. This is how we save podiatry

• Haha
View attachment 378231

We need to start giving medical clearance prior to pedicures. This is how we save podiatry
A few days ago, I went to a barber for a shave. As he held his straight edge razor up against my carotid artery, I thought to myself "this is nowhere near as delicate as trimming diabetic toenails"

• Haha
A few days ago, I went to a barber for a shave. As he held his straight edge razor up against my carotid artery, I thought to myself "this is nowhere near as delicate as trimming diabetic toenails"
He prolly got reimbursed higher for his work and didn't have to write a note "nails trimmed to tolerance without incident"

Article today about young doctors. Familiar story below:

1698244497430.png

The article then describes how she went solo:

1698244525312.png

• Sad
Always NJ, NY, or Florida
Looks like she now employs other podiatrists and is looking to expand. She might be a decent employer, I have no idea but the mustache podiatry model lives on in our profession.

What's really dishonest about this article is that the other docs they feature who are in the cushy academic/organizational jobs make it sound like they got them as a personal choice, like all roads are open to all of us equally and some of us just happen to be employed by a health system while others just happen to be employed in PP and go solo and every alternative is just peachy

Looks like she now employs other podiatrists and is looking to expand. She might be a decent employer, I have no idea but the mustache podiatry model lives on in our profession.
I think there will be a shift with younger podiatrists being more ethical and treating associates better particularly if they had bad experiences with mustasche pods in the past. I would work for someone who knows how bad that can be.

There are a lot of current gen pods who joke about hiring associates for peanuts but I haven’t seen anyone under 40 actually hire an associate and treat them like crap in reality

Dr. Brucato's website has a link entitled "Skip the Wound Care Center". If I'd had a drink in my mouth when I read that I'd have spit it out laughing. Good for her.

Dr. Brucato's website has a link entitled "Skip the Wound Care Center". If I'd had a drink in my mouth when I read that I'd have spit it out laughing. Good for her.
It is trademarked actually.

There is also a pop up saying both locations are now open Saturdays and they offer night hours also.....another example of this work life balance fallacy the profession likes to promote.