religious belief

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robocop1998

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i just had an interview and i have a question that i have always wanted to know. during the interview, i began talking about my religious belief and said how it helped my become a humanistic and compassionate person. now that i have been thinking, maybe talking about religious belief is not something the interviewer was looking for. what are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

i personally would not have talked about religion. but if you coherently stated your ideas and showed that it would not interfere with you being a doc, i'm sure it was fine. pre-meds tend to over analyze everything. so just chill out. can't change anything now. just don't mention religion again, and just hope for the best :)

I think what your interviewer was likely looking for was a clear and honest answer to the question, and it sounds like you gave that. Many people draw upon religious precepts in order to inform their moral/humanistic behavior, and if that is what works for you, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

I brought up how religion influenced my beliefs in one of my interviews, and I was accepted three days later :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the post above. Honesty is much more important, and if religion was the reason that you wanted to do something, they cannot blame you for it. No one can say there is a right or wrong reason to be a doctor.....It is much better to be honest than come up with some concoction that they will assume is false.

I think you did the right thing. I have been asked about my religious views in EVERY interview I've had. I don't think it has ever hurt me. The point of an interview is to let the interviewer know who you are. There is this myth that there are things about you that should never be mentioned in an interview, that you should become some sort of "ideal" candidate. I reject this. I slouch in my chair, crack jokes, and talk about my religion every time I interview. I think interviewers find it a welcome change from the pre-med robot.

I'd suggest leaving your religious beliefs out of any professional situation for several reasons.

1) I underwent hardcore religious, shall I say, indoctrination in my academic institution years ago and am aware that some religions' adherents believe that all others are basically wrong, and that their believers are "right". If the interviewer has this belief of religions, and they adhere to a different faith than yours, will they honestly ignore your statements/comments? The point of the interview is to form an opinion of the person; how could the interviewer in good faith ignore something you've put on the table?

2) Interviews are a snapshot that gets magnified to arrive at an overall opinion of the candidate. Say I forgot to shave and shower that morning and smell like the horse manure I tromped through to feed my horses. Is it unrealistic for the interviewer to think that I'm a slovenly individual?

The point being if you bring up religion in a 30 minute interview and how it formed your essential personality, should the interviewer assume that you would never bring this up to a patient? Or should the interviewer consider that you may attempt to evangelize some patients? Is this a train of thought that you want the interviewer to focus on, rather than your ability to learn medicine?

Never forget that this is not your friend interviewing you - this is a person putting you under the spotlight, and hopefully will see enough positive attributes to recommend you for admission.

Re: the comment about being "honest" in an interview -- when I hired staff, one thing that would cause the person to not be considered was negatively referring to a past business situation - even though the candidate was probably being very honest, if they focused on their bosses mistakes rather than how the candidate worked with what they had to accomplish the goals, I got a clear feel for the individual.

Just my .02, there's a good chance that an interviewer would think positively about your response rather than negatively.

I agree with the post above. Honesty is much more important, and if religion was the reason that you wanted to do something, they cannot blame you for it. No one can say there is a right or wrong reason to be a doctor.....It is much better to be honest than come up with some concoction that they will assume is false.

Actually they can blame you for it, and you will never know. In fact "they" can do whatever "they" want. The best answer is the one they expect with a twist. Something they perceive to be too outside their comfort zone and you are not in good shape. I would stay away from religion in the future.

Actually they can blame you for it, and you will never know. In fact "they" can do whatever "they" want. The best answer is the one they expect with a twist. Something they perceive to be too outside their comfort zone and you are not in good shape. I would stay away from religion in the future.

I would say that the vast majority of interviewers are very tolerant people, and are not likely to "blame" you for your core beliefs. That being said, medical school interviews are 100% subjective. Sure they could form a negative image of you based on your religious views, but they could also form an impression every bit as negative from hundreds of other things that you say or do (like being a fake, stiff "professional"). Again, I would just say be yourself. This is the biggest problem with interviewees. They dress up in their suits, clutch their little folders, and pretend to be what they think the interviewer is looking for. Don't do it. Be yourself. Tell your story.

They dress up in their suits, clutch their little folders, and pretend to be what they think the interviewer is looking for. Don't do it. Be yourself. Tell your story.

Couldn't have said that better myself. :thumbup:

Unless you're a douchebag. Or just in it for the money. Then you might want to lie. Or you could do us all a favor and weed yourself out but you're probably smarter than that. :laugh:

I have talked about religion in my interviews, but have generally waited until the interviewer has brought it up - I went to a religious high school. Once it comes up, I try to say how my religion has influenced my life but also include how I am open to other peoples beliefs and would never question someone on their tenets.

I think you did the right thing. I have been asked about my religious views in EVERY interview I've had. I don't think it has ever hurt me. The point of an interview is to let the interviewer know who you are. There is this myth that there are things about you that should never be mentioned in an interview, that you should become some sort of "ideal" candidate. I reject this. I slouch in my chair, crack jokes, and talk about my religion every time I interview. I think interviewers find it a welcome change from the pre-med robot.

You must have provoked it somehow because this is illegal. Religion, sexual orientation, marital/pregnancy status etc are all illegal interview topics.

I would say that the vast majority of interviewers are very tolerant people, and are not likely to "blame" you for your core beliefs. That being said, medical school interviews are 100% subjective. Sure they could form a negative image of you based on your religious views, but they could also form an impression every bit as negative from hundreds of other things that you say or do (like being a fake, stiff "professional"). Again, I would just say be yourself. This is the biggest problem with interviewees. They dress up in their suits, clutch their little folders, and pretend to be what they think the interviewer is looking for. Don't do it. Be yourself. Tell your story.

At the same time, there are limits to being yourself. I would never ever wear a suit anywhere, I hate it. Why did I wear one? Because it is expected and professional. Same for talking about ethics etc, I find these discussions extremely boring, but I am not going to walk out of the interview or say ok whatever/I dont care just because I want to be myself.

You must have provoked it somehow because this is illegal. Religion, sexual orientation, marital/pregnancy status etc are all illegal interview topics.

Really? So when I put that I am part of a Christian fraternity on AMCAS, and it is brought up (you: "provoked"), how is that illegal? Because it is associated with religion? What if I put that I was an active member of my local church? If I talked about it first, is the interviewer allowed to respond? Please enlighten me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not necessarily. If they can ask you hypothetical questions about you killing people, then can ask you about your religious views or any of the other topics you mentioned. If this was a job interview, then they can not ask these questions. However, it is not a job interview - it is an interview for a school, and schools can ask these things, especially if they are privately funded.

Really? So when I put that I am part of a Christian fraternity on AMCAS, and it is brought up (you: "provoked"), how is that illegal? Because it is associated with religion? What if I put that I was an active member of my local church? If I talked about it first, is the interviewer allowed to respond? Please enlighten me.
The way you worded your previous post implied that your interviewers brought up the subject out of the blue.

Rather, I welcomed the topic due to placing it in my application. Therefore, I do not see why it is illegal to be asked about.

It is illegal for them to bluntly ask you what religion you are because the USA believes in freedom and privacy of religion. You did provoke it then (you seem to be associating this word negatively for some reason, I suggest looking it up). If it is all over your application then clearly you want to talk about it, but for most people it is not and bringing it up during an itnerview would be unusual, illegal, and confrontational.

And private funding doesnt change the law. They cannot selectively reject people based on their religion, sexual orientation etc etc because civil rights supersede their autonomy.

Is there a law or guideline that schools follow? Everyone has some variety of stance on religion; asking how you would confront a patient who is X religion, etc., is a legitimate question if it influences their medical care. If it is a blunt question about what religion you ascribe, as you state - this is a very narrow guideline and should be upheld if this was a question without any peripheral purpose, as it could bias the selection of the candidate. If it is peripheral, ie: you have X ring/necklace on that is associated with X belief, which prompts the question: "how does this religion intersect with your involvement in the community," then why should it not be asked if it brings about no adverse bias against the applicant due to religious biases of the interviewer?

I am curious of the regulation(s) that you are stating and the boundaries, because these questions are as pertinent to interviewing as they are to interacting with a diverse population of patients. Also, provoke does have a negative connotation.

Last edited:
Would it be acceptable (not hurt your chances) for you to politely decline from answering this question?
Same goes for any questions outside your comfort zone.

Sorry if offtopic, but is this any different from expressing views on abortion?

Last edited:
Is there a law or guideline that schools follow? Everyone has some variety of stance on religion; asking how you would confront a patient who is X religion, etc., is a legitimate question if it influences their medical care. If it is a blunt question about what religion you ascribe, as you state - this is a very narrow guideline and should be upheld if this was a question without any peripheral purpose, as it could bias the selection of the candidate. If it is peripheral, ie: you have X ring/necklace on that is associated with X belief, which prompts the question: "how does this religion intersect with your involvement in the community," then why should it not be asked if it brings about no adverse bias against the applicant due to religious biases of the interviewer?

I am curious of the regulation(s) that you are stating and the boundaries, because these questions are as pertinent to interviewing as they are to interacting with a diverse population of patients. Also, provoke does have a negative connotation.

The archaic form of provoke had a negative connotation, modern usages do not (eg details that provoked a discussion).

Assuming you are a certain religion based on something you are wearing is a pretty superficial act and very unlikely in an interview. Asking how you deal with a religious patient is different than asking how you deal with your own religious convictions/assuming you are religious and demanding to know how religious by asking what religious things you do.

Too lazy to find the actual legal text, but check out http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewsnetworking/a/illegalinterv.htm

It seems to be under the discrimination laws.

School interviews are in the same category since they must abide by the same standards unless they are explicitly girls/Jews/etc ONLY.

Would it be acceptable (not hurt your chances) for you to politely decline from answering this question?
Same goes for any questions outside your comfort zone.

Sorry if offtopic, but is this any different from expressing views on abortion?

in general, if you're asked about something like relationship status or what religion that's technically out of bounds most people will just answer the question. you have every right to decline, but it just feels weird to an interviewer for someone to keep it secret whether or not they're married. if it's a more specific question (like why did you get married) or more out of bounds, something like "i'm not sure i feel comfortable discussing that right now" usually will remind the interviewer that it's not an appropriate question; i think it's rare for this sort of thing to hurt you at all.

i don't think it's harmful to you to openly discuss religious motivation and passion, but getting into specifics or elaborating too much is probably not something you should do. just about anyone would support or at least be neutral to being inspired or motivated by religion, but if you get into particular beliefs it can put the interviewer in an uncomfortable position (if they don't share those beliefs they either have to fake agreement or tell you they don't share your views).
hope this helps a little.

Well, if Bill Maher was interviewing you, he might have given you hell for it :laugh:...

I my application, I listed my serving as a missionary for the LDS (mormon) church as volunteer/leadership experience. And, in my PS, I related a story from my mission where I learned about true compassion, etc. I also attended BYU (a mormon school), so I was asked several times about my faith, and especially whether how I would deal with people who were not of my religion.

I consider these questions fair game since my religion is such a big part of my life. I answered them honestly, and I since have been accepted to one of the schools that asked me about it.

Is it possible that my religion has prevented me from getting accepted from some school. I have wondered whether the LDS church's role in California's Proposition 8 has led adcoms at some schools to not offer an acceptance.

Bottom line, if you choose to be religious, especially if you choose to be Christian, then you have to accept that people are going to judge you, and persecute you. If a school is going to reject me for my beliefs, then I have no interest in going to school there. I would rather not be a doctor, than have to give up, or downplay, or hide something about myself that is such a central part of my life.

I my application, I listed my serving as a missionary for the LDS (mormon) church as volunteer/leadership experience. And, in my PS, I related a story from my mission where I learned about true compassion, etc. I also attended BYU (a mormon school), so I was asked several times about my faith, and especially whether how I would deal with people who were not of my religion.

I consider these questions fair game since my religion is such a big part of my life. I answered them honestly, and I since have been accepted to one of the schools that asked me about it.

Is it possible that my religion has prevented me from getting accepted from some school. I have wondered whether the LDS church's role in California's Proposition 8 has led adcoms at some schools to not offer an acceptance.

Bottom line, if you choose to be religious, especially if you choose to be Christian, then you have to accept that people are going to judge you, and persecute you. If a school is going to reject me for my beliefs, then I have no interest in going to school there. I would rather not be a doctor, than have to give up, or downplay, or hide something about myself that is such a central part of my life.

This is a major reason people get offput by religious conversations. You are convinced that people who question your beliefs or even the legitimacy of your faith are trying to "persecute" you. Either change your perspective and try to be more neutral to criticism or stop trying to force people to discuss it with you.

how's the weather up there on your high horse :eyebrow:

At the same time, there are limits to being yourself. I would never ever wear a suit anywhere, I hate it. Why did I wear one? Because it is expected and professional. Same for talking about ethics etc, I find these discussions extremely boring, but I am not going to walk out of the interview or say ok whatever/I dont care just because I want to be myself.

Obviously. Don't take things too literally. I wore a suit to my interview too. I simply meant don't become the suit.

This is a major reason people get offput by religious conversations. You are convinced that people who question your beliefs or even the legitimacy of your faith are trying to "persecute" you. Either change your perspective and try to be more neutral to criticism or stop trying to force people to discuss it with you.

Reminds me of zillions of other groups who think everyone is "discriminating" against them. Are these groups being discriminated against? Sure. Do Christians get discriminated (I think that's a better term than persecuted) against sometimes? You bet. I think a Christian's claim to discrimination is every bit as legitimate as any other group. I'm sad you don't think so :(. Also, neutral to criticism? Criticism is not neutral when given, and therefore should not require a neutral response. What are you saying, don't defend yourself against criticism? Now I would understand if you said that people need to deal with criticism or respect another's criticism, but be neutral to it? Come on. No one needs to be silenced like that.

There is a huge difference between someone disagreeing with your personal beliefs and actively working against you because of those beliefs.

If someone disagrees with my world view, I don't view that as persecution. If a medical school (or anyone/anything else says) we are going to deny him acceptance because he is mormon, then that is persecution. Do you disagree with that?

To clarify my previous statement, If you are religious, and your religion is central to your life, then it would be wrong for you to downplay that or hide it so that you can fit into some mold. I would rather not be a doctor than to have to supress my the religous aspects of my life.

That does not mean that I will be marching through the workplace quoting my bible and trying to convert my colleagues and patients. However, if the very fact that I base my morals and ethics on my religious beliefs is offensive to another person, and is viewed as grounds to ignore my various achievements then why would I want to work/study in such an environment?

how's the weather up there on your high horse :eyebrow:

It is pretty nice up here. Frankly though, I am not clear on how what I have said is offensive. If someone's religion is as central as they claim it is then why would they want to go into a profession where they would have to suppress it?

The post was not that bad on its own and likely would not have generated a warning. Creating a second account just to do it is a big no-no. Please keep your arguments on one account.

I didnt create that account, so please dont assume I did. Check the IPs or MAC addresses or whatever you have to, but dont assume I am so insecure that I make new accounts to agree with myself.

I am going to withdraw from this thread before I get put on probation again for doing things that I am not responsible for (just like last time wow!). Look like I am the one being persecuted.

I didnt create that account, so please dont assume I did. Check the IPs or MAC addresses or whatever you have to, but dont assume I am so insecure that I make new accounts to agree with myself.

I am going to withdraw from this thread before I get put on probation again for doing things that I am not responsible for (just like last time wow!). Look like I am the one being persecuted.
Maybe he was using you in the general sense? Again, let's try not to take things too literally ;)

How could he not be referring to me? Look at the context of those two posts, then at his post. There is no other possible conclusion.
Looking....looking....nope don't see it. It's clear that a new account was created simply to place that not so nice post, and Neuronix said you should keep your arguments on one account.
Sounds pretty general to me. Maybe you could ask ask Neuronix what the intent was?

Eh, I've been in touch with that person's main account. There's more going on here than meets the original eye that should be kept in private.

Let's refocus the discussion the thread's intent thanks.

There is a huge difference between someone disagreeing with your personal beliefs and actively working against you because of those beliefs.

If someone disagrees with my world view, I don't view that as persecution. If a medical school (or anyone/anything else says) we are going to deny him acceptance because he is mormon, then that is persecution. Do you disagree with that?

To clarify my previous statement, If you are religious, and your religion is central to your life, then it would be wrong for you to downplay that or hide it so that you can fit into some mold. I would rather not be a doctor than to have to supress my the religous aspects of my life.

That does not mean that I will be marching through the workplace quoting my bible and trying to convert my colleagues and patients. However, if the very fact that I base my morals and ethics on my religious beliefs is offensive to another person, and is viewed as grounds to ignore my various achievements then why would I want to work/study in such an environment?

It is pretty nice up here. Frankly though, I am not clear on how what I have said is offensive. If someone's religion is as central as they claim it is then why would they want to go into a profession where they would have to suppress it?

nothing you said offended me. Just that to claim religious discrimination when you live in a state where nearly 60% of the population practices the same faith seems a bit rich (i.e. claiming adcom backlash for prop 8).

nothing you said offended me. Just that to claim religious discrimination when you live in a state where nearly 60% of the population practices the same faith seems a bit rich (i.e. claiming adcom backlash for prop 8).
Seelee never claimed to be on the receiving end of religious discrimination in the state of Utah.
It's like you're claiming that a member of an ethnic minority can't claim discrimination because he or she lives and works in a community in which that particular minority is the majority.

fair enough. Not to be too trollish, but please outline a specific incidence where you (or anyone else) was discriminated against b/c of your religion. Seems to me that these claims are rather nebulous in nature as in all calif schools discriminate against BYU grads b/c of prop 8.

Anything that is on your application is fair game for an admissions interview. Anything that you bring up in an interview could generate a follow-up question but it should either be an impersonal question for the interviewers general information (e.g. do LDS missionaries get to choose their assignment locations or are they assigned?) or one that relates to medicine as a career (the classic might be performing abortions but there are bunches of ethics issues that could be influenced by one's religious beliefs). It would be really shady to ask about specific religious practices ("how often do you confess to a priest" or "do you keep kosher?")

Even if you felt you were asked a question that is "illegal", I think that you'd have to show that you were rejected because you were discriminated against. I think that would be rather difficult to prove.

With regard to religous beliefs as part of the motivation for a career in medicine (your "calling", so to speak): You want to avoid giving the impression that you are going to go around bringing up religion at every turn and trying to convert colleagues, etc. One applicant asked the interviewer, "Have you been saved? Because if you haven't you won't understand what I'm saying." :confused: That did not go well.

fair enough. Not to be too trollish, but please outline a specific incidence where you (or anyone else) was discriminated against b/c of your religion. Seems to me that these claims are rather nebulous in nature as in all calif schools discriminate against BYU grads b/c of prop 8.
Can't help you there. I never claimed to receive any sort of discrimination because of my faith. In fact, as I've discussed above, I think it has only helped my application. Maybe seelee can help.

Anything that is on your application is fair game for an admissions interview. Anything that you bring up in an interview could generate a follow-up question but it should either be an impersonal question for the interviewers general information (e.g. do LDS missionaries get to choose their assignment locations or are they assigned?) or one that relates to medicine as a career (the classic might be performing abortions but there are bunches of ethics issues that could be influenced by one's religious beliefs). It would be really shady to ask about specific religious practices ("how often do you confess to a priest" or "do you keep kosher?")

Even if you felt you were asked a question that is "illegal", I think that you'd have to show that you were rejected because you were discriminated against. I think that would be rather difficult to prove.

With regard to religous beliefs as part of the motivation for a career in medicine (your "calling", so to speak): You want to avoid giving the impression that you are going to go around bringing up religion at every turn and trying to convert colleagues, etc. One applicant asked the interviewer, "Have you been saved? Because if you haven't you won't understand what I'm saying." :confused: That did not go well.

LizzyM ftw...again!

You want to avoid giving the impression that you are going to go around bringing up religion at every turn and trying to convert colleagues, etc. One applicant asked the interviewer, "Have you been saved? Because if you haven't you won't understand what I'm saying." :confused: That did not go well.
:laugh: I bet not.
One little thing to add though. I don't understand the legitimacy of this concern that religious doctors well try to evangelize their patients. I have had many visits with doctors off all religious persuasions as a patient and the ONLY ones who have ever tried to convince me to believe like them were non-believers. Now I'm not saying that non-believing doctors are the ones we look out for, simply that my experience does not support this particular stereotype.

Bottom line, if you choose to be religious, especially if you choose to be Christian, then you have to accept that people are going to judge you, and persecute you.

Now, I know seelee has gotten quite a bit of flak here, and I'm not trying to pile on, because I thought his post was largely well-thought-out and made sense. Except for the part above. Certainly, there are people who will judge you for being Christian. But it's LUDICROUS to suggest that Christians are "especially" harshly judged or persecuted. There's probably no religious group in the world, and certainly not in the U.S., that is less discriminated against than Christians. And I would argue that the choice to be non-religious is far more likely to invite judgment in our society than the choice to be religious (can you imagine, say, an atheist getting elected to a major public office?).

Now, I can see where seelee's perspective could be a bit skewed because he belongs to a particular sect of Christianity that is viewed with a bit of skepticism by much of the rest of the country, so he may feel the heat more than most. But painting Christianity as some reviled underdog of the religious U.S. is way out of wack.

Now, I know seelee has gotten quite a bit of flak here, and I'm not trying to pile on, because I thought his post was largely well-thought-out and made sense. Except for the part above. Certainly, there are people who will judge you for being Christian. But it's LUDICROUS to suggest that Christians are "especially" harshly judged or persecuted. There's probably no religious group in the world, and certainly not in the U.S., that is less discriminated against than Christians. And I would argue that the choice to be non-religious is far more likely to incite judgment in our society than the choice to be religious (can you imagine, say, an atheist getting elected to a major public office?).

Now, I can see where seelee's perspective could be a bit skewed because he belongs to a particular sect of Christianity that is viewed with a bit of skepticism by much of the rest of the country, so he may feel the heat more than most. But painting Christianity as some reviled underdog of the religious U.S. is way out of wack.

Legit point.

:laugh: I bet not.
One little thing to add though. I don't understand the legitimacy of this concern that religious doctors well try to evangelize their patients. I have had many visits with doctors off all religious persuasions as a patient and the ONLY ones who have ever tried to convince me to believe like them were non-believers. Now I'm not saying that non-believing doctors are the ones we look out for, simply that my experience does not support this particular stereotype.

That's an excellent point. I think that a outspoken atheist who expressed a contempt for believers or an opinion that believers should be persuaded by rationalism to reject magical thinking would not be looked upon kindly by the adcom because it would raise questions about how accepting the applicant would be of patients who had belief systems different than the applicant's own. I haven't heard of that sort of thing happening but I know of a few proselytizing interviewees.

Now, I can see where seelee's perspective could be a bit skewed because he belongs to a particular sect of Christianity that is viewed with a bit of skepticism by much of the rest of the country, so he may feel the heat more than most. /QUOTE]

QFT... Additionally, I think most of the 'hostility' (i hate to use that word) towards members of LDS actually extends from other practicing Christians.

QFT... Additionally, I think most of the 'hostility' (i hate to use that word) towards members of LDS actually extends from other practicing Christians.
While this is true, a prominent exception comes to mine. Again, in the aftermath of Prop. 8, hostilities were directed in a targeted fashion towards members of the LDS faith. Several other religious groups issued statements asking that some of the "heat" be placed on them as well, as it was a coalition of religious groups that supported Prop. 8, not simply the Mormons. But the anger and hatred (it's not a nice term to use, but look at the protest signs they used and I think you'll agree) of gay-rights protestors continued to be predominantly focused on the LDS church. If you ask me, this was a clever political move by these activists to make a major obstruction to their agenda look like it came soley from an already unpopular group.

ok...this is WAY off the original intent of the thread (mods feel free to bring it back) but the mormon church did raise substantial amounts of money to strip gay people of their marriage rights (accurate b/c they were initially granted to them). I mean, you had to expect some backlash, right? Not taking one side or another, but the fact is that the law voided peoples marriages thus making them extremely upset. Maybe a little empathy (and a little less anger and hatred) is needed on both sides of that equation.

Mormons Tipped Scale in Ban on Gay Marriage
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/us/politics/15marriage.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2&fta=y

ok...this is WAY off the original intent of the thread (mods feel free to bring it back) but the mormon church did raise substantial amounts of money to strip gay people of their marriage rights (accurate b/c they were initially granted to them). I mean, you had to expect some backlash, right? Not taking one side or another, but the fact is that the law voided peoples marriages thus making them extremely upset. Maybe a little empathy (and a little less anger and hatred) is needed on both sides of that equation.

Mormons Tipped Scale in Ban on Gay Marriage
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/us/politics/15marriage.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2&fta=y
Yeah, this could get bad. I kinda regret bringing that up. I think I'll resign.

I have to express my doubt that Christians are "persecuted" in the United States. While there is discrimination against Christians, and all other groups of any kind, I can safely say that it has to be less frequent than most other kinds of discrimination (Ex: Racism).

Actually, I have to say I have never felt more accepted by others in society than as a Christian.

(Generally) Being an atheist is one of the most socially unacceptable views one can have other than being a "socialist" and I have heard people equate the two anyways. I know this from cold hard experience. It is not uncommon to have people judge you for your beliefs (or lack there of). The stronger person shrugs this off/turns the other cheek and continues about his/her day.

In terms of the medical school application, I believe that you need to show that you care about other human beings. This can be accomplished through talking about your beliefs - or that you are a humanist. What you need to project is that you are tolerant and hope to help others sans judgment, because it is NOT a doctor's job to judge, it is to heal.