religious private schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how integrated religion is in schools like Loma Linda for example. Is it a bad idea to apply to a school like that if you disagree with the faith? Are some more religious than others or is a religious school bound to integrate the faith to a large extent?

Members don't see this ad.

Are some more religious than others or is a religious school bound to integrate the faith to a large extent?
Loma Linda is the only med school I would give much thought to in regards to religious affiliation. The Jesuit schools do not rub your face in it. At Loma Linda, you are expected to forego caffeine, premarital sex, and alcohol, if I'm not mistaken (which is consistent with the Seventh Day Adventist faith).

Not knocking it. LLU is perfect for folks of likeminds, but I'd hesitate to apply if I wasn't a pretty strong practicing Christian. Do a quick search on Loma Linda in the title and you'll see a lot of discussions about it.

But for the rest, I wouldn't give it much of a thought...

Loma Linda is the only med school I would give much thought to in regards to religious affiliation. The Jesuit schools do not rub your face in it. At Loma Linda, you are expected to forego caffeine, premarital sex, and alcohol, if I'm not mistaken (which is consistent with the Seventh Day Adventist faith).

Not knocking it. LLU is perfect for folks of likeminds, but I'd hesitate to apply if I wasn't a pretty strong practicing Christian. Do a quick search on Loma Linda in the title and you'll see a lot of discussions about it.

:barf: LLU

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering about this too. LLU has already been addressed (and being from Los Angeles I know a little about it) but what about Loyola Chi, etc?

hahaha...I wouldn't have put it that way, but needless to say; nowing what I now know- I will no when in hell be applying there! Good luck to all who do, its just not my bag.

live without my morning cup of coffee. Just shoot me. So I am not applying.

Just wondering...I still don't see myself applying because I think I would go nuts. But how does the university enforce the rules of no alcohol, caffeine, premarital sex etc...

I wonder if my husbands 8yr old son (that he had when he was 17) with another woman who he wasn't married to would be an issue. hahahaha:laugh:

Just wondering...I still don't see myself applying because I think I would go nuts. But how does the university enforce the rules of no alcohol, caffeine, premarital sex etc...

I wonder if my husbands 8yr old son (that he had when he was 17) with another woman who he wasn't married to would be an issue. hahahaha:laugh:

The kid might get in if his ECs are good.

as long as he promised himself to god you'd probably be ok....

yet another reason to be jewish. Only drawbacks are bad sounding holidays and big noses...hmm

I'm sure the coke felony guy will want to know his chances. What should we tell him? That as long as it was caffeine free Coke he will have a shot?

no you should tell him that he can overcome anything his little heart desires....

except his coke conviction.

I know an MS1 at Loma Linda - Christian, but not Seventh Day Adventist. Before he actually started school, he encouraged me to apply. Once he got there though, he warned me not to. He said he hasn't met a single student there who wasn't Christian. Plus he felt like an extreme radical at LLU. While in undergrad he felt like he had to defend his religious views at times. I'm not religious myself. He's a really trusty friend so I took his advice to heart and crossed Loma Linda off my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda is definitely conservative, but when I went there on my interview day it was amazing. I really fell in love with the school. By the way, the no caffeine rule only applies to caffiene being sold on campus. You could still bring caffeine to school. And Vvandenn, next time you post something stupid like that you should think first. Your post is not only offensive but very childish. If you don't like the school, just don't apply...no need to mock. That's one thing that really pisses me off about SDN, everybody hates on LLU without actually knowing too much about it.

Loma Linda is definitely conservative, but when I went there on my interview day it was amazing. I really fell in love with the school. By the way, the no caffeine rule only applies to caffiene being sold on campus. You could still bring caffeine to school. And Vvandenn, next time you post something stupid like that you should think first. Your post is not only offensive but very childish. If you don't like the school, just don't apply...no need to mock. That's one thing that really pisses me off about SDN, everybody hates on LLU without actually knowing too much about it.

Tupac, I'm allowed to state my childish opinions as it's my right to freedom of speech. The school stands for all things I despise (mostly those absurd rules or whatever brainwash it is). People here will always think LLU is nuts for these reasons, get used to it.

Tupac, I'm allowed to state my childish opinions as it's my right to freedom of speech. The school stands for all things I despise (mostly those absurd rules or whatever brainwash it is). People here will always think LLU is nuts for these reasons, get used to it.

Yes you do have the right to freedom of speech. I was figuring you would be mature enough to use it properly, but I guess I was wrong.

This is why I have a great amount of respect for the Jesuit order. I went to a jesuit high school and they are the most down to earth group of preists I have met. They are more intellectual than anything. In fact they have had a history of rebelling against the Catholic church.

as long as he promised himself to god you'd probably be ok....

yet another reason to be jewish. Only drawbacks are bad sounding holidays and big noses...hmm

haha...do you think albert einstein allows bacon on campus?

haha...do you think albert einstein allows bacon on campus?

As a non-Jew, I loved AECOM. I thought it was hilarious that the non-Jews on the wards are responsible for all electrical appliances (pushing elevator buttons, microwaving attendings dinners, plugging in medical stuff and pushing the buttons) on Friday nights/Saturdays. And all the buildings, up until the 3rd floor are reserved for (mostly) orthodox Jews who can't use the elevators on sabbath (that is, unless someone else pushes their floor button). One of my friends there was doing a rotation with only orthodox jews and had to take friday night every week for the whole rotation. And I guess the vending machines are closed every saturday too? along with the gym? It was pretty funny. I thought it was interesting - but I have a culture fetish.

This is why I have a great amount of respect for the Jesuit order.
Yeah, a nonbelieve will have a much easier time of it at a Jesuit educational institution than a evangelical protestant one.

At St Louis U, there was no religion interjected into our training, other than the proscription of abortion. There was a campus priest who served as a counselor for students (many of whom were Catholic), but he was a very welcoming guy who was a friend to all. About 7% of the class was Jewish, and they got along quite well.

Diddo the remarks about Jesuit institutions.

I go to a small Catholic undergrad and there are crucifixes in the rooms and daily masses available and Priests teach in Philosophy and Theology, even Physics (Priests as physics instructors are exceedingly hard) and you will get an exposure to Catholic ethics and intellectual traditions but hostility to those of differing faiths or no faith is something I've never seen.

As far as med schools, Catholic institutions prohibit the performing of abortions except to save the life of the mother and that is usually the extent to which their religous identity may annoy those non-religous among us. Although there are plenty of people opposed to abortion on secular grounds as well.

You've been on SDN long enough to have witnessed far more offensive comments than a lil barf ;)

What about Wake Forest? The hospital attached to the medical school has a huge cross on it. It is called Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center. Are they ultra conservative there?

As a non-Jew, I loved AECOM. I thought it was hilarious that the non-Jews on the wards are responsible for all electrical appliances (pushing elevator buttons, microwaving attendings dinners, plugging in medical stuff and pushing the buttons) on Friday nights/Saturdays. And all the buildings, up until the 3rd floor are reserved for (mostly) orthodox Jews who can't use the elevators on sabbath (that is, unless someone else pushes their floor button). One of my friends there was doing a rotation with only orthodox jews and had to take friday night every week for the whole rotation. And I guess the vending machines are closed every saturday too? along with the gym? It was pretty funny. I thought it was interesting - but I have a culture fetish.

At Sinai they have a Sabbath elevator that stops on every floor. 1) I thought it was pretty cool 2) I felt stupid/ ignorant. I never knew about this elevator button rule.